• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    Does I Am Legend count as a 2008 score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

No... that was a 2007 score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - Turning point: fall of liberty. Raw, big, evil, loud and technically impressive, Giacchino once again gives lessons of proper orchestral arrangements and adequate use of instrumentation in order to create a primal archetype of aggressive orchestral music that knows where to stop and how to keep the right musical balance. A game score that is beyond a large number of film scores out there today.

Is this available in any form to buy?

It's available in the special edition version of the game.

Any particular format?

No, just special/collectors edition. This version only came out in America though so the game* won't actually work.

*Complete pile of crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

No... that was a 2007 score.

-Erik-

You are right, but as it was released in 2008, I like to think James Newton Howard started the year brilliantly with I Am Legend and has closed it also brilliantly with Defiance. I´ve been a bit picky here, I know.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008 edited
    I see a score belonging to a certain year by way of when it was recorded. Of course if a score gets recorded before and after the new year, I suppose I would count it as the latter year.

As Tim's pointed out, Heavy Metal had a fantastic release this year, but there's no-one in their right mind who would consider that a 2008 score! dizzy (Except perhaps if you go by the alias franz_conrad. biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I see a score belonging to a certain year by way of when it was recorded.

First of all, I Am Legend belongs to a film released in 2007. It's a 2007 score.

Also, according to your theory, Chris Tilton's Mercenaries 2 is a 2006 score because that's when it was recorded. But it's actually a 2008 score because that's when the game was released.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote

Yes, that would be the proper criterion.
    But few times have we had a brilliant score at the beginning of the year and another one right at the end composed by the same composer. That´s why I like seeing it that way, but strictly, I Am Legend belongs to 2007.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

First of all, I Am Legend belongs to a film released in 2007. It's a 2007 score.

Yes, I know. Not quite sure I understand your point there?

Also, according to your theory, Chris Tilton's Mercenaries 2 is a 2006 score because that's when it was recorded. But it's actually a 2008 score because that's when the game was released.

-Erik-

Then maybe there's two sides to my logic. wink

It simply calls for two definitions: Chris Tilton's Mercenaries 2 score was recorded in 2006. The music was used in the game released in 2008.

Do I see it as a 2006 score? Yes, but only in the way that it was recorded in 2006. I'm simply applying more significance to the date of recording than the date of release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Do I see it as a 2006 score? Yes, but only in the way that it was recorded in 2006. I'm simply applying more meaning to the date of recording than the date of release.

dizzy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hey, you asked. biggrin (Though I think I should change the word 'meaning' to 'significance' on that last part, having read it again. shame )
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I define the years by when the score was actually used in a film or on TV. Lost season 3 is a 2007 score for example, even thought it only got released this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    I define the years by when the score was actually used in a film or on TV. Lost season 3 is a 2007 score for example, even thought it only got released this year.

beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

beer

-Erik-

Yes, it's the definition that you two place more significance on. Of course I agree the release date is a very significant part of a score, but to me, the actual time it was recorded is more significant. Nobody is right or wrong in this sense. It's merely a subjective opinion.

I'm only arguing my point since it would appear that Erik feels as though there is only one way to prescribe a year to a score. There are multiple factors involved (not least when the composer actually first imagines the music, just to take it into the realm of further pedantry). We just disagree on which one we find more significant.

No big deal at all, I just don't like being wrong. Or worse, seen as being wrong. biggrin

Ooh, my first post of 2009. Happy new year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009
    Steven wrote
    I'm only arguing my point since it would appear that Erik feels as though there is only one way to prescribe a year to a score. There are multiple factors involved (not least when the composer actually first imagines the music, just to take it into the realm of further pedantry). We just disagree on which one we find more significant.

But when you are picking a best of the year list you don't take into consideration when the composer first thought of a specific theme, what date it was recorded, when it was mixed down or replaced at the last second by another cue which was recorded in January while the rest of the score was recorded in December.

If the film came out in 2008 then the score is eligible for consideration in a best of 2008 list. It pretty simple and straight forward.

-Erik-
  1. I apply a very rubbery definition to a year for two reasons: (i) it doesn't matter; (ii) you - or I, at least - very rarely get a sense of the very out there in a given year until at least a year (usually more) later. So the best of the year are the best I saw in that year, and it tends to include anything I've seen from a year prior to that as well (and sometimes even more!).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I do see Steven's point. Powell's score to D-Tox was written and then the film got shelved for two years, so really it's a 2000 score and not a 2002 score for example.

I think that's an exceptional case though. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

But when you are picking a best of the year list you don't take into consideration when the composer first thought of a specific theme, what date it was recorded, when it was mixed down or replaced at the last second by another cue which was recorded in January while the rest of the score was recorded in December.

No, I don't imagine anyone would. But you're missing the point! Someone could, if they wanted to, choose to prescribe a 'year' to a score within those rules if they wanted to. My point isn't about who is right or wrong, just about a difference of opinion. Or feelings. Or thoughts. Whatever you want to call it.

If the film came out in 2008 then the score is eligible for consideration in a best of 2008 list. It pretty simple and straight forward.

-Erik-

Yes, in that sense it is. But if you read and understood what I was trying to say, you'd understand that I have a slightly different way of considering eligibility. It's pretty simple and straight forward.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Yes, in that sense it is. But if you read and understood what I was trying to say, you'd understand that I have a slightly different way of considering eligibility. It's pretty simple and straight forward.

Actually, no it's not but whatever.

wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How so? I think I explained it quite clearly! dizzy

You're arguing against an opinion. It's like you arguing against me preferring apples to you preferring oranges!? (The only person who is wrong here is you for thinking your way is right (and that's not implied to be as bitchy as it sounds shame ). Neither way is the correct way, just different ways we choose to define a score's year.)

smile <- see, no bitchiness intended biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sorry to go on about it Anthony, but I don't like having an opinion argued against as being wrong when it's not a case of being right or wrong. That's all I care about here. People can choose how to prescribe a year to a score whichever way they like, I couldn't care less. smile
  2. Anthony wrote
    No, just special/collectors edition. This version only came out in America though so the game* won't actually work.

*Complete pile of crap.

Thanks for the info. But at $33 a pop it's a bit expensive!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Sorry to go on about it Anthony, but I don't like having an opinion argued against as being wrong when it's not a case of being right or wrong. That's all I care about here. People can choose how to prescribe a year to a score whichever way they like, I couldn't care less. smile

Here's the thing, Steven - when we are talking about the best film scores of 2008 the majority of us are talking about film scores that belong to films released in 2008. Yes or No? But we can just continue to mess things up by adding in another factor or opinion... which release date do you go by? US release, film festival release, international release, etc. Let's just complicate things more.

rolleyes

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Here's the thing, Steven - when we are talking about the best film scores of 2008 the majority of us are talking about film scores that belong to films released in 2008. It's that simple. You seem to be the only one confusing the issue.

-Erik-

No, I'm not. You were the one who said that, for example, Tilton's Mercenaries 2 scores was "actually a 2008 score because that's when the game was released." You are the one imposing a strict rule on what boils down to a simple opinion. If you had said "In my opinion it is a 2008 score because that's when the game was released", then I wouldn't have had a problem with it in the first place.

If you could just admit that, then I will stop unnecessarily 'confusing' the issue at hand.

P.S. Just because the majority of people share an opinion, that does not necessarily make it the right one. I'm also not saying it's the wrong one, which you seem so adamant that there is? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Here's the thing, Steven - when we are talking about the best film scores of 2008 the majority of us are talking about film scores that belong to films released in 2008. Yes or No? But we can just continue to mess things up by adding in another factor or opinion... which release date do you go by? US release, film festival release, international release, etc. Let's just complicate things more.

rolleyes

-Erik-

But I don't. I have already stated my opinion on the matter. I consider a score's 'year' by date of its recording. Simple as. Neither right or wrong. It's opinion.

So again, Erik, you're arguing with the position that your opinion - and your opinion alone - is the correct one to have. THAT is what I am arguing against, not the opinion itself.

I'm not trying to complicate things, but you have forced me to do that by disagreeing with an opinion as though I were describing it as fact.

sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    No, I'm not. You were the one who said that, for example, Tilton's Mercenaries 2 scores was "actually a 2008 score because that's when the game was released." You are the one imposing a strict rule on what boils down to a simple opinion. If you had said "In my opinion it is a 2008 score because that's when the game was released", then I wouldn't have had a problem with it in the first place.

But it's not an opinion. The score is part of the game. The score was written for the game. If it was a stand alone piece of music that wasn't attached to anything then I'd have no issue. But since it's part of the game and BELONGS in the game first a foremost and since the game was finally released in 2008 then the score is eligible to be a part of Best of 2008 list.

Another example. The Stoning of Soraya M. The score was recorded in 2008 but since the film isn't due to be released in 2009 and since the score is part of the film first a foremost then the score will be eligible for a Best of 2009 list. I mean, would you nominated Soraya for an Oscar this year because the score was recorded and first heard away from the film in 2008 even though the film (where the music belongs) isn't going to be released until 2009?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

But it's not an opinion. The score is part of the game. The score was written for the game. If it was a stand alone piece of music that wasn't attached to anything then I'd have no issue. But since it's part of the game and BELONGS in the game first a foremost and since the game was finally released in 2008 then the score is eligible to be a part of Best of 2008 list.

Another example. The Stoning of Soraya M. The score was recorded in 2008 but since the film isn't due to be released in 2009 and since the score is part of the film first a foremost then the score will be eligible for a Best of 2009 list. I mean, would you nominated Soraya for an Oscar this year because the score was recorded and first heard away from the film in 2008 even though the film (where the music belongs) isn't going to be released until 2009?

-Erik-

You're talking about official lists for awards and things like that which need a strong verification such as your above example. In that sense, I agree with whatever outcome it produces, much like I agree that Mercenaries 2 is a 2008 score within the perimeters you abide by - even if they're different to mine. Hence, I do not think your opinion is wrong. Just different.

If it is an opinion of mine to call a score recorded in 2008 (yet with a 2009 release) a 2008 score, then what is to say your opinion that it is a 2009 score a fact? What makes yours a fact over my opinion? Both adhere to facts about the score, but we interpret them differently to come to a different opinion, or conclusion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Hence, I do not think your opinion is wrong. Just different.

rolleyes

And do you ALWAYS know when a score is recorded? How many times is this listed in the liner notes?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Hence, I do not think your opinion is wrong. Just different.

rolleyes

And do you ALWAYS know when a score is recorded? How many times is this listed in the liner notes?

-Erik-

No, I don't. So I just have to concede and admit that I DON'T KNOW and either assume it to be of a certain year or not. But most of the time, you can roughly work out when a score has been recorded, and safely assume from thereon. We are talking about years after all, not months, days or hours.

I don't see why you need to resort to " rolleyes " simply because I'm defending a difference of opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ First of all, don't assume.

Steven wrote
    If it is an opinion of mine to call a score recorded in 2008 (yet with a 2009 release) a 2008 score, then what is to say your opinion that it is a 2009 score a fact? What makes yours a fact over my opinion? Both adhere to facts about the score, but we interpret them differently to come to a different opinion, or conclusion.

I just can't believe someone is complicating, over analyzing and over blowing something as simple as a Best of list. I find your "opinion" - and all of this - to be rolleyes worthy... in my opinion. tongue I mean, why even ask is I Am Legend is eligible if in your opinion it is. Just write down a list and move on.

-Erik-