• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Anthony wrote
    markrayen wrote
    I'm a little bit surprised that Crystal Skull hasn't been mentioned untill now, and yet there is so much music that is to my opinion far less interesting recieving words of praise and blessing. I won't say too much about it since I haven't been much up to date on film music in 2008, but I can say that although it isn't a masterpiece the craftmanship present in Crystal Skull is unique.

Williams' orchestra sounds fantastic, and the structure is remarkably coherent despite the extreme diversity of styles. There is absolutely nothing "average" about it, because there is simply no composer alive today that has achieved such an extraordinary technique as the aging John Williams. I am constantly baffled by his versatility, inventive orchestrations, and ability to satisfyingly explore even the smallest of thematic conceptions.

Adventures of Mutt is an example of all these things. The piece is a deviation from the usual "theme" arrangements he has done for so many years. It is brilliantly concieved through the interweaving of three thematic "fragments" - themes that are introduced but that apparantly have no ending. There is the melodic fragment performed primarily by horns, the melodic fragment on woodwind, and the chromatic variations on a fragment from the raider's march. There are also the modulating scale figures sounding playful and cartoonish which are cleverly played with throughout the piece (among other methods through a fantastic counter motion in the double bass towards the end of the piece). The originality of the piece's conceptual design is to my opinion astonishing, where something that has been introduced as seemingly complete cacaphonic chaos reaches a musical conclusion that satisfyingly concludes and combines all of its thematic components. It is extremely playful and virtuosic, but has musical substance and vitality to it at the same time.

Even in Crystal Skull, which isn't a particular favourite, I feel that the depth of Williams' musical language exceeds that of his contempories. I know I sound like a complete geek with my academic concerns, but I feel a need to defend what I believe in many ways is the best work of 2008.

- Mark

Paragraph it and then I'll read it.

There you go. Took all of 20 seconds. Don't feel lazy now, Anthony! wink smile

Incidentally Mark, I listened to the piece again after reading your take on it, and i've gotta say - this is why I liked your reviews at FMOTW. I appreciate what the piece of trying to do a bit more. This was one of the pieces in CRYSTAL SKULL I'd found it hard to get into. I'm still not sure it was a particularly good call to create music like this for Mutt (as someone else said, something a little more jazzy, early North/Rosenman using Irina's saxophone might have suited the James Dean reference better), but I appreciate the piece more as a composition now. It's definitely the most complex of the three new concert suites from CRYSTAL SKULL.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    There you go. Took all of 20 seconds. Don't feel lazy now, Anthony! wink smile

You can take the boy out of editing... wink

but I appreciate the piece more as a composition now. It's definitely the most complex of the three new concert suites from CRYSTAL SKULL.

To me any piece of music that needs to be explained to be appreciated isn't worth having been composed in the first place.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This thread makes me realise just how much I haven't heard of last years scores.

And y'know what.....I'm really not bothered.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    This thread makes me realise just how much I haven't heard of last years scores.

Of the top scores I've chosen this year and judging by what I think I know of your taste, the only ones I would recommend (that you haven't heard) are The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, Afrika and Defiance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Of the top scores I've chosen this year and judging by what I think I know of your taste, the only ones I would recommend (that you haven't heard) are The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, Afrika and Defiance.

Spot on! ( those are the three that interest me most, particularly after all the good word I've heard on 'Africa'. )

Powell always interests me and I love a lot of Newman's scores too, hell, only a week or so back Quantum Of Solace would have been on my "don't give a damn" list ( and what a nice surprise that was ). Sooner or later I'll get around to them but I'm not in a hurry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    but I appreciate the piece more as a composition now. It's definitely the most complex of the three new concert suites from CRYSTAL SKULL.

To me any piece of music that needs to be explained to be appreciated isn't worth having been composed in the first place.

I said I appreciated it MORE, not that I appreciated it for the first time. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    To me any piece of music that needs to be explained to be appreciated in any fashion, to any degree or in any capacity in this reality, concurrent or diverging ones, with or without any mitigating issues in any capacity as relevant in said circumstances, all rights reserved and batteries not included, isn't worth having been composed in the first place.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Hmmmm...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009
    In my opinion, any opinion that needs to be explained isn't worth having been composed in the first place. Why? Well, because- wait a minute!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Martijn wrote

Actually, what you are saying is a widely accepted consensus for modern music criticism. Phillip Glass made a comment on the subject in his biography (which I haven't read myself) through recalling his student days at Juilliard and attending new music concerts. People would come confused out of the concert venues assuring one another of that "its actually better than it sounds".

But your notion depends on whether or not music can be "explained" in the first place, which I believe it can't. Even our most advanced poetry or elaborate metaphoric methods of naming our inner life and feelings can't come close to "explaining" music, whether the music in question is the simplest of folk songs or contemporary "avant garde". I'm sure many agree with this theory, because if it were possible then what on earth would we need music for in the first place? In the words of Leonard Bernstein, music "names the unnamable".

But this does not dismiss the art and value of music critique or music analysis. Through a verbal rationalisation of our concerns for the art we are first and foremost manifesting our own philosophy, but at the same time challenging and (potentially) broadening that of others. It is a means of education, the continuing school of life. We are never fully educated and should always be open to new impulses. In my previous post I was not attempting to "explain" any artistic value within the piece, I was describing the "structure" and thereby acknowledgeing a change of direction in the composer's musical thinking. The fact that I also expressed and shared my own appreciation of the piece is the inevitable result of how music is a subjective experience by nature, and intranslatable to matters of psycological truth.

However, I do agree with your notion to a certain degree. During the middle of the previous century many serialists believed that their compositional methods alone valified their results. In other words, that the means justified the ends. This way, the music would need to be studied to be appreciated. But even then the appreciation was often based on a graphical perception of the score itself, and not through direct interaction with its "musical" result. Which brings us to the subject of program music, or film music for that matter.

The question of whether music is compatible with an extramusical content or context, or whether it exists purely in its own right. The notion "music that needs to be explained to be appreciated isn't worth having been composed in the first place" could suggest that all music concieved to unyieldingly follow an already existing audiovisual content (film music), and that is in need of an extramusical explanation to create the illusion of coherence and manifest structural intention, isn't worth having been composed. The notion could certainly implicate this outcome, but depends on the interpreter's viewpoint towards the nature of program music itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Excellent post, Mark! shocked

(I might have to steal some of those ideas to use in an essay I need to get done for next week... shame )
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009 edited
    Wow, the paragraphing must have really done the trick then! shocked wink

(steal all you want, but you should know many of the things I write are free interpretations of things I've first read elsewhere, f. ex. "Rethinking Music" by Cook/Everest)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Let's all just have angry sex when we can and this whole thing will eventually blow over! beer

I am all 100% for the proposal but cough not in-between us! shocked

On other news, i go away for 5 days and this is what happens? RIOT?! biggrin

Glad it's over in maintitles.net civilized kind of way though kiss cheers everyone beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    To me any piece of music that needs to be explained to be appreciated in any fashion, to any degree or in any capacity in this reality, concurrent or diverging ones, with or without any mitigating issues in any capacity as relevant in said circumstances, all rights reserved and batteries not included, isn't worth having been composed in the first place.

Musical analysis of a piece of music, or a study of the social and personal background of the person that wrote it, the reason it was written for and also in the context of the social and historical background at the time of the composition and its influence upon the very piece, can open horizons on the same piece of music you've been listening all along, that you'd never imagine.

But as everything in life, it requires balance. If you write a musical piece only to live on paper and via complex mathematical analysis or score sketches (as noted above in a previous post by Mark) just for the sake of this or if you over-analyze musical pieces just for the sake of deep examination, you might kill it and whatever meaning it has behind it as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also, could the people that posted on-line lists expand a bit? I am not saying its obligatory of course, especially if they don't have the time or will to do it, but if there are no problems behind it, it's always better to grow a fuller opinion behind someone and his tastes based on such a list of selections. That won't come as out as easily if there's only listings of titles and composers.

And in some cases, i'll admit that i personally like to see some explanations behind such choices as Der Rote Baron - Dirk Reichardt & Stefan Hansen vomit biggrin biggrin

(or Hancock and Kung Fu Panda but then again a lot of you included that in your lists so you're already burned, no chance of saving you anymore biggrin tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

(or Hancock and Kung Fu Panda but then again a lot of you included that in your lists so you're already burned, no chance of saving you anymore biggrin tongue )

Yeah, Stop Loss is far better! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    oh; it SO very is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pah! Go back to your Haslinger!
    (Hey, it's catching on! biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I actually have no idea concerning my own top 10 list, and I've been reading this topic for a while now.

The first 9 months of the year are very vague in my head.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    The first 9 months of the year are very vague in my head.

'Cause of ....... ?

(choose one or combi)

Lolcats
    Loljuicybabes
    simply girls
    insanely VAST number of travels
    maintitles
    programming
    website-building
    booze
    looza

Martijn

?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, Stop Loss is far better! tongue

Musically yes, but when I think about the "fun" scores of 2008, Hancock and Kentucky Fried Panda are at the top of the list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    'Cause of ....... ?

Martijn

Most defenitely this one. One of our most problematic members. His lolcats obsession is beyond everything I've ever seen.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    'Cause of ....... ?

Martijn

Most defenitely this one. One of our most problematic members. His lolcats obsession is beyond everything I've ever seen.

Who? Me?

Christodoulides wrote
    Also, could the people that posted on-line lists expand a bit?

You will NEVER make me talk. angry

Christodoulides wrote
    Musical analysis of a piece of music, or a study of the social and personal background of the person that wrote it, the reason it was written for and also in the context of the social and historical background at the time of the composition and its influence upon the very piece, can open horizons on the same piece of music you've been listening all along, that you'd never imagine.

I don't know. I can imagine quite a bit.

Seriously though, other than a context it doesn't add to the music proper.
    I realize that there are different schools of thought here, especially in film music where the music is supposed to be enhancing the visuals (and therefore not be a goal per se), but, like for example Thor, my approach has angled from the image-related to the purely musical-related over the years.

And -as with many other forms of music composition- I do no longer care very much where the music comes from, what context it is originally from, or what the name is of the conductor's pet gerbil.

Good music is good music, no matter what its context is.
    Any explanation serves to explain circumstances. Not the music itself.

Which ties into Mark's interesting post as well (the first part of which is very well put and I agree with unquestioningly, by the way!).

markrayen wrote

But this does not dismiss the art and value of music critique or music analysis. Through a verbal rationalisation of our concerns for the art we are first and foremost manifesting our own philosophy, but at the same time challenging and (potentially) broadening that of others. It is a means of education, the continuing school of life. We are never fully educated and should always be open to new impulses. In my previous post I was not attempting to "explain" any artistic value within the piece, I was describing the "structure" and thereby acknowledgeing a change of direction in the composer's musical thinking. The fact that I also expressed and shared my own appreciation of the piece is the inevitable result of how music is a subjective experience by nature, and intranslatable to matters of psycological truth.

As an initial side note: I would not put critique nor analysis under the nomer of "art". Rather it is a meta-technique that expresses something about the object of art, it is NOT art in itself.

That said I'm not entirely sure what a "psychological truth" is.
    Aside from the fact that the whole notion of a psychological truth is a VERY debatable one, music, like most forms of art, is extremely culture-dependent. While -as far as I know- there is no culture on Earth that appreciates music solely for the anlysable values in its structures, it most certainly is a fact that the appreciation of initially classical Peking opera requires a whole different background and cultural outlook than initially appreciating a Romantic horn concerto.

That does not distract from the your point that music is very much a subjective experience. But that's neither here nor there in this particular train of thought! The point rather is whether or not NON-musical aspects can create an added musical appreciation...or even be essential for any kind of appreciation!

However, I do agree with your notion to a certain degree. During the middle of the previous century many serialists believed that their compositional methods alone valified their results. In other words, that the means justified the ends.

But surely this never was a prevalent or even very popular take on music?

The question of whether music is compatible with an extramusical content or context, or whether it exists purely in its own right. The notion "music that needs to be explained to be appreciated isn't worth having been composed in the first place" could suggest that all music concieved to unyieldingly follow an already existing audiovisual content (film music), and that is in need of an extramusical explanation to create the illusion of coherence and manifest structural intention, isn't worth having been composed.

Only if you accept the premise that the already existing audiovisual content IS indeed unyielding AND necessary. I do not believe it's either, and whether anyone agrees or not (which is of course perfectly fine) it is DEMONSTRABLY not FACT as there is a great deal of film music that I have a huge emotional response to (i.e. "it works") WITHOUT me having seen the film.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009 edited
    Martijn, thank you for your sincere reply and well founded arguments. You should know that my previous post was initially meant as an act of self defence, in that I felt slightly offended by the fact that your earlier post seemed to have been aimed at my comments on Williams' "Adventures of Mutt". But during my philosophical rabbling I ended up broadening the subject matter quite a bit further than I had intended. Still, I would like to address some of the assertions and questions you raise concerning my previous post.

Martijn wrote
    As an initial side note: I would not put critique nor analysis under the nomer of "art". Rather it is a meta-technique that expresses something about the object of art, it is NOT art in itself.

I certainly understand the logic of what you are saying, but disagree with it wholeheartedly. In my somewhat idealistic way of thinking, any act of creativity is artistic. Whether it be writing a novel, composing a symphony, or comparing the art of writing a novel to that of composing a symphony. In my mind these are all inspired by the same needs for creative expression.

That said I'm not entirely sure what a "psychological truth" is.

My unwise and confusing employement of the term "psycological truth" came to me by intuition (in lack of a more specific way to verbalize my opinion) after having recently read, and found myself partially disagreeing with, an excerpt from Susanne Langer's "Mind: An Essay on Human Feeling":

"Since art is an objectification of feeling, whereby men have percieved and recognized its rhythms and complexities and scope since time immerorial, it is not unreasonable to expect some formulation of psychological basic facts to come from art."

(...) it most certainly is a fact that the appreciation of initially classical Peking opera requires a whole different background and cultural outlook than initially appreciating a Romantic horn concerto.

Exactly, and I believe this is somewhat related to the heteronomous concerns for musicology Demetris was expressing.

The point rather is whether or not NON-musical aspects can create an added musical appreciation...or even be essential for any kind of appreciation!

To illustrate this next point, I'll use the animated series "South Park" as an example:

In the first season of South Park, the character Kenny was consistantly being "killed off" in every single episode, to then be brought back in the next without any explanation. This is of course, a joke. But then, in one particular episode as we are closing towards the end and Kenny hasn't "died" yet, the character Cartman expresses his concern for "something missing", "something not being complete". Kenny is shivering of fear and characteristically hides himself in his hood. Then the end titles begin and he lifts his arms up in the air in celebration and yells "woo-hoo!"

My point here is that in order to understand and appreciate that particular joke, one needs to be aquainted with the gereral formula most episodes of South Park are based on.

Likewise, in a classical concerto, there are both variations and deviations towards structural formula that can not be percieved or appreciated without an aquaintance to the framework and history of that particular form. For example, in the last movement of Mozart's 27th and final piano concerto in Bb flat major, the soloist's cadenza ends conventionally through a trill on the dominant chord (this obligatory trill has the practical function of hinting the orchestra to get ready to start playing again), but then surprisingly continues into a recapitulation without the presence of the orchestra!

Here, Mozart is fooling us. He is wanting us to believe that the cadenza has not yet ended, and that the inevitable reappearance of the orchestra is yet to come. But then he continues to cleverly insert faint, pianissimo string chords four bars later, as if to say "haha - I fooled you!"

This is a kind of musical joke one can nor percieve or appreciate without an aquaintance to the form and history of the genre. Perhaps it is only a minor curiosity for the listener compared to the musical richness of Mozart's masterpiece at large, but the fact remains that extramusical considerations often do in fact contribute to the shaping of a listener's musical experience - in that it can provoke comparisons, and help stimulate thought and reflection about the work in question.

These extramusical considerations could also be of an either personal, sociological, or even political nature. The formalistic philosophy of that there is an absolute distinction between art and the world at large, and that art is comparable only to the "universal" element or "devinity" itself has for the most part been abandoned in modern musicology for a more realistic approach. However, this is an enourmous subject that unfortunately deserves more elaboration than I find myself capable of providing at the present time.

Only if you accept the premise that the already existing audiovisual content IS indeed unyielding AND necessary. I do not believe it's either, and whether anyone agrees or not (which is of course perfectly fine) it is DEMONSTRABLY not FACT as there is a great deal of film music that I have a huge emotional response to (i.e. "it works") WITHOUT me having seen the film.

For the record I am in complete agreement with you here. As I already explained, the assertion you are questioning depends on how one interprets the very nature of program music. Whether it's extramusical content functions merely as a curiosity for the listener compared to the unique possibilities of vivid metaphorical expression music alone is in posession of - or if it is in fact crucial to the experience that one establishes context between the two mediums. I believe both cases are possible.
  4. I'm enjoying the front row seats. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting points. I too believe (like Mark) that both cases are possible. I haven't yet concluded whether Martijn is actually dismissing completely the possible enhancement of the overall experience caused by any extra-musical meta-data, or if he's just diminishing its value, but i want to ask him this:

We all listen to the same things in completely different ways, based on personal musical database, experiences, age, cultural / religion and personal background etc etc. Furthermore, a musician listens to the same piece even more differently and the same goes for a musicologist, who's often on a different level than both the musican and the casual listener.

Would you suggest that the musical knowledge of the operation, usage and musicianship behind a / the musical instrument(s) a musician possesses don't actually enhance his perception and his overall musical experience, on a different level than the average listener?

On the other hand, would you suggest that the knowledge behind the form of the piece, the era it was written in and the musical era / style it is classified in, the composer who wrote it and the piece's background and structure don't actually further enhance and change the musicologist's perception and overall musical experience?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009
    Me and Erik are the originals, I'll have you know! slant
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    On the other hand, would you suggest that the knowledge behind the form of the piece, the era it was written in and the musical era / style it is classified in, the composer who wrote it and the piece's background and structure don't actually further enhance and change the musicologist's perception and overall musical experience?

Forget the musicologist, I would hope that much information would alter anyone's perception of a piece of music! wink (Unfortunately, it's only the musicologists - hence their title - that are likely to have that sort of information.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    markrayen wrote
    You should know that my previous post was initially meant as an act of self defence, in that I felt slightly offended by the fact that your earlier post seemed to have been aimed at my comments on Williams' "Adventures of Mutt".

Oh my! shocked

Not a bit of it, dear boy!
    Yes, I certainly tend to come out with statements that are explicitly absolute, because they make for brilliant sound bites. Sadly, in real life, they're less applicable, and certainly not as comment on someone's who's taken the time and effort to elucidate on his opinion.

Rest assured it was a remark in general, and not at all directed towards someone or something in particular.

That said, thanks for your extensive response and on with the show! wave

In my somewhat idealistic way of thinking, any act of creativity is artistic. Whether it be writing a novel, composing a symphony, or comparing the art of writing a novel to that of composing a symphony. In my mind these are all inspired by the same needs for creative expression.

In all honesty, I do not see the art in criticism.
    It may be well worded. It may contain interesting and clever analyses. It may even be creative in its usage of form, metaphors or style.
    But unless indeed all creation from nothing into something is considered art (an opinion/definition indeed held here and there), I would still say it is, at very best, meta-art: something saying something about art.

But as this now spills over into the realm of etymology and semantics I'll be perfectly happy to leave this here.

Your point about form creating expectation ciring Mozart's 27th as an example is an interesting and good one, and certainly serves to underline the fact that understanding (and expectation) of a musical form may increase appreciation and enjoyment.

However I would bring this against it: if that musical joke was not understood, would that make the whole piece or parts of it UNenjoyable?

I would argue not.
    My point really wasn't geared towards finesses.
    It was simply this: if I don't like it now, no amount of explanation will make me like it later. Hence the blanket statement "any piece not appreciated on its own merits, has no reason for existing".

I guess a point could be made that it might exist for academic or research purposes, or for experimentation, but "liking" or "appreciation" being first and foremost the very purpose of music -and yes, I realize I'm walking on thin ice here, but I'll be happy to let this evolve into a(nother smile ) "purpose of music" discussion, though maybe in another, separate thread- the very absence of appreciation would render the piece moot.

That the appreciation of the piece can be enhanced by the aforementioned knowledge or expectation I do not doubt or contradict.

And that pretty much is also my reponse to D's post:
    We're (well, at least *I* am) not talking about perception, which , as I already indicated, is enhanced and coloured by all manner of circumstances (I already mentioned culture, but technique would be another good one).

I'm talking about appreciation.

Knowing that a violinist is the best in the world, or playing like shit because he had fish for breakfast will have me commenting on the violinist. NOT the piece he is playing.

As I already explained, the assertion you are questioning depends on how one interprets the very nature of program music. Whether it's extramusical content functions merely as a curiosity for the listener compared to the unique possibilities of vivid metaphorical expression music alone is in posession of - or if it is in fact crucial to the experience that one establishes context between the two mediums. I believe both cases are possible.

We're not saying (much) different things, I think.
    I think some extramusical aspects may be crucial to one specific experience: e.g. see John Williams conduct the Star Wars overture would be an experience vastly different from listening to it on CD.

However it would not change my opinion of the Star Wars overture proper one bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great spin-off discussion, guys. I really don't want to intrude at this point, other than to - in usual fashion - point to two FSM threads I did that touch on some of these issues - which may or may not be of interest to you:

From January 24, 2007:

Extra-musical associations

...and an earlier one from December 21, 2001:

Extra-musical that affect your listening
    I am extremely serious.