• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    "(...)Lair, because it's more a series of rip-offs than something which just happens to be in a certain style"(...)

OH THANK YOU.

Huh?

People have been pretty much in agreement of that since its release! It's whether or not you find it to be an enjoyable series of rip-offs which is more to the point (which I do).

It's interesting how different rip-offs make me feel differently. With something like Lair it just makes me want to listen to the things which are being ripped off, yet I can happily listen to Iron Will over and over again. Perhaps it's down to the musical craft of the (new) composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2009 edited
    No, no i said it is good, once you exclude the wailing chick from it. But not everyone i know has admitted that it's a series of rip-offs! Still, i am in no mood to go into yet another discussion about LAIR. There's better and more recent things out there to talk about wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm don't care about Lair enough to have a discussion about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    It's interesting how different rip-offs make me feel differently. With something like Lair it just makes me want to listen to the things which are being ripped off, yet I can happily listen to Iron Will over and over again. Perhaps it's down to the musical craft of the (new) composer.

Funny... because I'd rather listen to "Diviner Battle" then "Battle of the Heroes." And dismissing Liar as just a serious of rip off is not fair. There is a lot of originality in the score most especially Debney's "Civilization Theme."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Bregje wrote
    Wow. I'm listening to the 2008 Asian score Red Cliff by Taro Iwashiro. Anyone here who knows it too?

It's not something I would take to a deserted island with me, but it has a certain quality to it, if I'm in the right mood I guess I can appreciate it for what it is, not standout film music, just good quality background scoring, I like "Hill of the Refugees" and the main theme.

NP: Home Alone 2 (Deluxe Edition) (John Williams)

Well this was hard to come by. I literally waited one month for it to arrive (shipped through eBay Spain), thinking the package had been lost forever. And it wasn't cheap... But today it finally arrived and what a joy it is. Williams at his most christmassy love Splendid cheerful tunes, coupled with some mickey mouse suspense cues is what's found on this double-disc. The performances are top notch, and the christmas carols put a smile on my face. But I don't think I should play Schindler's List immediately after this biggrin A good one but a seemingly rare one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Funny... because I'd rather listen to "Diviner Battle" then "Battle of the Heroes." And dismissing Liar as just a serious of rip off is not fair. There is a lot of originality in the score most especially Debney's "Civilization Theme."

-Erik-

Hell yeah! Lair is astonishing, but will never be as epic as CutThroat Island. For that Lair is maybe a tad too repetitive. But original it most definitely is.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Speaking of Debney...

Seaquest DSV: To Be Or Not To Be (Promo) John Debney

What a theme! I remember this show from my childhood (though I can't remember if it was good or bad, only that I liked it at the time), and I've always remembered the theme.

John Williams rip? No. This sounds more Debney than most Debney scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Sideways - Rolfe Kent

One of my most listened to scores of the last five years. Superb stuff, love it.

cool cool cool cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    John Williams rip? No. This sounds more Debney than most Debney scores. [/blue]

Gotta admit that the theme sounds a bit like Star Wars... but ya, SeaQuest contains some fine TV scoring!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: A Tale Of God's Will: A Requiem For Katrina - Terence Blanchard

Gorgeous. Relaxing and soothing but emotional enough for it to actually mean something. A very listenable album which I strongly recommend.

cool smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Gotta admit that the theme sounds a bit like Star Wars... but ya, SeaQuest contains some fine TV scoring!

-Erik-

I suppose you're right there. I always remember getting the two themes mixed up when I was a wee lad! Quite a nostalgic piece of music for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote
    NP: Sideways - Rolfe Kent

One of my most listened to scores of the last five years. Superb stuff, love it.

cool cool cool cool

Me too! A wonderful album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Funny... because I'd rather listen to "Diviner Battle" then "Battle of the Heroes."

I've heard you say this before. From a Williams fan such as yourself I find it astonishing! You can tell how much one influenced the other... and yet I find the Debney approximation to be so much less satisfying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

DreamTheater wrote

But original it most definitely is.

What is this? Exaggeration of the day contest? You guys ever outdo me. biggrin tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I sure wish *I* could rip from Williams. Alas, I cannot. Horner in simple mode maybe, but not Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So TYLER BATES copying Goldenthal must be a friggin' genius then wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I dunno. I've never listened to Tyler Bates' music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Personally I can't see what's so wrong with a Williams 'ripped' score as long as it's done well. Which if it's a rip from Williams, it probably will be. The same could probably not be said of a cloned Zimmer score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Funny... because I'd rather listen to "Diviner Battle" then "Battle of the Heroes."

I've heard you say this before. From a Williams fan such as yourself I find it astonishing! You can tell how much one influenced the other... and yet I find the Debney approximation to be so much less satisfying.

I understand the influence which is why I brought up the comparison. It's just that Debney added much more "flare" to his piece then John Williams did. IMHO, Battle of the Heroes is one of the most uninteresting major Star Wars themes in the entire saga.... not that it's bad but compared to the rest of the Star Wars themes it doesn't really hold up.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    So TYLER BATES copying Goldenthal must be a friggin' genius then wink

No, that's call stealing! No influence of any kind there... that's just a good old plain rip off... tune, orchestration... the whole lot.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Duel At Diablo - Neal Hefti

Soundtrack to one of my favourite westerns , starring James Garner and Sidney Poitier .

It has a wonderful Neal Hefti score , which always seems to correctly reflect the mood of the scene .
    And I absolutely love that main theme - Bullets And Beans , it sticks in your head BIG time !

smile
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Lair (Debney)

My second favourite score ever.

"Main menu", "Demon's pass light", "civilitathion Theme", "elegy" but Specially "Darkness theme" are gorgeous pieces. Some of the best music Debney has ever written.

"Diviner's theme" is deliciously Cuthroad Island-Esque... beer
  3. Jordi, what is Civilitathion? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or indeed Cuthroad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jordi, what is Civilitathion? biggrin

It´s a new concept we are not prepared to understand yet biggrin

Said that, I agree with Jordi. Awesome score. But I find fascinating Debney´s use of Horner´s Danger Motif at the end of "Civilization Theme".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Said that, I agree with Jordi. Awesome score. But I find fascinating Debney´s use of Horner´s Danger Motif at the end of "Civilization Theme".

Fascinating is the wrong word. WTF? I think is a bit more appropriate. Seriously, Mr. Debney, you stole Horner's (originally Prokofiev's) 4-note danger motif? AWFUL!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

Fascinating is the wrong word. WTF? I think is a bit more appropriate. Seriously, Mr. Debney, you stole Horner's (originally Prokofiev's) 4-note danger motif? AWFUL!!!

-Erik-

biggrin

Composers. Aren't they all just a bunch of thievin' bastards!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

biggrin

Composers. Aren't they all just a bunch of thievin' bastards!?

True... but to pick one of Horner's most ANNOYING themes or motifs... truly sad!

-Erik-
  4. Actually, the first composer to use the four-note motif might have been Rachmaninov
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall