• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    MARCO BELTRAMI - TERMINATOR 3: Rise of the Machines

Loud. BLISS punk

WANT.
  1. Miya wrote
    Steven wrote
    Miya, do you ever listen to anything a little more... hmm... hardcore? Something like Aliens? (Not a criticism by the way, just a general observation. wink)

And now I'm listening to nothing hardcore at all...

NP: The Lion King II: Simba's Pride - tons of unknown songwriters
    I must admit I like these songs shame tongue

I just love that main theme song "He Lives in You" punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    NP : INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM - John Williams

Heaven cool

I think it steals too much from Williams though. Just another clone score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Heaven cool

lol beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    MARCO BELTRAMI - TERMINATOR 3: Rise of the Machines

Loud. BLISS punk

WANT.

You have not listened Beltrami´s T3?! shocked
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Heaven cool

Yeah, he's known for his clone scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Slumdog Millionaire - A.R. Rahman

Man, this is great. Absolutely love it. Wonderful film too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

shocked

-Erik-

shocked x 1000 (for the score. I have not watched the film).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    explode
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Bregje wrote
    Wow. I'm listening to the 2008 Asian score Red Cliff by Taro Iwashiro. Anyone here who knows it too?

Yeah, funny how things go. i was ordering something on YesAsia a few months ago and saw this CD in the Joe Hisaishi list. I assumed it was his new score so decided to get it at the same time. Low and behold, I discovered a few days later that it wasn't Hisaishi but Iwashiro. I never heard about his music before so this was a pleasant suprise. The main theme and its variations are quite good and it is the strong point. It is nothing to rave about but I really like it when it is in the player. Ah the drums! wink
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

I like this, I really do, but it's the first Desplat score which I feel is just a little too clinical.

Bah... go and listen to THE BOY IN STRIPED PYJAMAS if you want those buttons pushed. wink

You don't have to push the buttons to avoid being too clinical though. Where's the passion in the performance? It's so stilted. I know it's deliberate and it's common in Desplat scores, but he seems to go further than he usually does here. It's the first time a Desplat album has left me checking to see how much longer there is to go because I'm a bit tired of it. Like I said - I do like it - but it's not had anything like the impact that Birth or Painted Veil did on me.

I really like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button too but I have a harder time connecting at a gut level. It is a relaxing experience and I think it is very intelligent scoring but like Steven mentioned earlier I would take The Spitfire Grill over this one just because it it emotionally charged.
    I find Despalt's Largo Winch much more satisfying all over. It has many action parts but also some gripping cues like " Croatian Sorrow" and "Anna's Death". This score has played many times and is still my favorite one from last year.

NP The Empire Strikes Back Johnny Williams

I didn't know that Angela Morely was helping Williams in his earlier period. No mention of her name in the liner notes.
  2. Maybe Angela Morley knows how to resemble John Williams too?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    People like Arthur Morton and Alexander Courage did work with/for Williams too but you don't see their names in too many of his albums. It's often been said that his orchestrators are left with little to do because of the level of detail in his sketches, so maybe that's why?
  3. Yes, I think that's how it goes. (Still being agreeable.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - John Williams

Probably my least (or second to least) favorite Star Wars score, though still not a bad score overall.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2009
    Miya wrote
    NP: "Kisses And Cake" from P.S. I Love You - John Powell

I clearly heard this score in my dream about Zimmer's concert this morning... dizzy

Nice pleasant score, anyway. I hope I can get the score album someday.

Once I had a dream where I could clearly hear music, but it was something I had never heard before and I liked it a lot. But it is long gone now... and I've never composed anything, so it must have been a fluke.

NP: Dances With Wolves - John Barry

This is one of my first scores, and I still enjoy it a lot to this day.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

And until tonight, or AFRIKA. (Though now that I have, I must say - this is a composer who knows how to literally be John Williams.

Thank you too biggrin

Just because this score sounds "big", why do people think it sounds like John Williams?

It doesn't! shame

The BIGorchestral stuff does... it's written in that John Williams style.

-Erik-

I thought it sounded more like Silvestri. Parts reminded me of Night at the Museum. Perhaps a little too much...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Panthera wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

And until tonight, or AFRIKA. (Though now that I have, I must say - this is a composer who knows how to literally be John Williams.

Thank you too biggrin

Just because this score sounds "big", why do people think it sounds like John Williams?

It doesn't! shame

-Erik-

I thought it sounded more like Silvestri. Parts reminded me of Night at the Museum. Perhaps a little too much...

Interesting... I'll have to return to Night at the Museum sometime.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My post messed up big time, and I didn't think it posted it in the end as the page crashed. What I meant to say was:

Panthera wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Thank you too biggrin

It doesn't! shame

-Erik-

That didn't occur to me, but now that you've mentioned it, I agree!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Actually, it isn't as similar as I was thinking. I thought 1:45 and onwards from the first track in Afrika sounded similar to Silvestri's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jordi, what is Civilitathion? biggrin

It´s a new concept we are not prepared to understand yet biggrin

Said that, I agree with Jordi. Awesome score. But I find fascinating Debney´s use of Horner´s Danger Motif at the end of "Civilization Theme".

I saw Seven Pounds, I laught a lot when the composer ( I don't know who is he), introduced the four danger motif in some twist in the history. It was funny and unexpected

NP:The Fan (Zimmer)

I considered this score annoying in his time. Now it's a pretty interesting one, and it's obvious it has the first ideas for Hannibal (Deniro's voice in off with the string progression, the child chorus theme). But specially, this score is clearly the base for The Dark Knight.

This "vangelis" synthetiser is mind blowing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Synthetiser? You should patent these words Jordi, you'd make a fortune!
  4. Synthetiser is a very important discovery of modern civilitathion, don't you think, Steven? bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Tonight, an eclectic bunch...

Extreme Prejudice (Jerry Goldsmith) - one of the most magnificent synth-dominated scores I've heard.

Lair (John Debney) - seriously, where else can you hear John Wiliams, Jerry Goldsmith, and Basil Poledouris all in one score, beautifully tied together to sound like it was all intended for the same score? I like Lair, and while at times I'd call it a guilty pleasure, there really isn't that much to be guilty about. It's very arguable, as Erik said the other day, that if you're going on results alone, this score's version of 'Battle of the Heroes' is more enjoyable than what Williams did for ROTS. (Though we do have to keep in mind that it would never have existed had it not been for Williams.) I like the themes too, particularly the Rozsa-like 'Training'.

Synechdoche, NY (Jon Brion) - a very melancholy, quirky score. The song 'Schenectady' is one of my favourite recent songs for a film.

Music for the films of Jacques Tati - some great period pop-style music in here, particularly for PLAYTIME, my favourite of Tati's films.

The Oxford Murders (Roque Banos) - one of the top thriller scores of the last year, perhaps the best pure thriller score actually. Banos does Herrmann so well, it's like the old man never left.

The Reader (Nico Muhly) - if you actually like film music to feel like it was written by a composer, don't let anyone talk you out of this. But you've got to listen to it a lot. Not for those who want to know why they're listening on the first hit.

Revolutionary Road (Thomas Newman) - 'Bright Young Man' is one of my favourite tracks of the last year. Newman finds some deceptively simple, brilliant ideas that sum up a lot of a character's feelings.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - John Williams

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote

cool

Me too!

Bloody good ain't it Timmer! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

Me too!

Bloody good ain't it Timmer! beer

Isn't it just beer
  6. Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 (Stephen Harwood)

An emotionally charged film like score for a videogame? They exist and here's a prime example. There is a splendid main theme that can rival Williams' Hymn to the Fallen, and there are some rousing action moments, but the best are the more dramatic cues which feature grand heroic fanfares.

Michael Collins (Elliot Goldenthal)

Somehow a younger version of myself ignored this at the time for years on end... Big mistake! But I'm glad I rectified that mistake... This is very good coming from the master of disonnance, showing his more thematic side. Coupled with Sinead O'Connor's vocals this is a standout score in a discography that is in dire need of expansion.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

cool

I listened to this earlier too. Wonderful!

Now, my first listen of Batman: The Animated Series by Shirley Walker et al