• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    REIGN OF FIRE gets the big thumbs from me too thumbs

ME THREE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I've never heard REIGN OF FIRE.

Or IRON WILL.

And until tonight, or AFRIKA. (Though now that I have, I must say - this is a composer who knows how to literally be John Williams.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    I know, I can hear it. dizzy slant shocked

Field Attack
    and Meet Van Zan, really, really loud. punk Oh Dear, my neighbors (complete with something i did last night very, very late biggrin ) won't like me at all now. shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

And until tonight, or AFRIKA. (Though now that I have, I must say - this is a composer who knows how to literally be John Williams.

Thank you too biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

And until tonight, or AFRIKA. (Though now that I have, I must say - this is a composer who knows how to literally be John Williams.

Thank you too biggrin

Just because this score sounds "big", why do people think it sounds like John Williams?

It doesn't! shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    I've never heard REIGN OF FIRE.

Or IRON WILL.

And until tonight, or AFRIKA. (Though now that I have, I must say - this is a composer who knows how to literally be John Williams.)

Which is fine by me. It's stunning music and what a fantastic main theme!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Thank you too biggrin

Just because this score sounds "big", why do people think it sounds like John Williams?

It doesn't! shame

The BIGorchestral stuff does... it's written in that John Williams style.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Thank you too biggrin

It doesn't! shame

The BIGorchestral stuff does... it's written in that John Williams style.

-Erik-

AND the main theme. Thank you too, Erik.

Anthony, i am not saying it's NOT good music. But it's heavily unoriginal. Some might bother, others not and it's perfectly fine with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

Or IRON WILL.

You don't know what you're missing with REIGN OF FIRE, Michael. That, my friend, is exquisite film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote

Or IRON WILL.

Literally?
  2. Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Thank you too biggrin

It doesn't! shame

The bit that really got me was the way the counterline from the main theme of THE PATRIOT comes in. wink
    Sorry Anthony - I think it's fantastic sounding, but that's only because I could have sworn that this composer had been Williams ghostwriter for the last decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

I like this, I really do, but it's the first Desplat score which I feel is just a little too clinical.

Bah... go and listen to THE BOY IN STRIPED PYJAMAS if you want those buttons pushed. wink

You don't have to push the buttons to avoid being too clinical though. Where's the passion in the performance? It's so stilted. I know it's deliberate and it's common in Desplat scores, but he seems to go further than he usually does here. It's the first time a Desplat album has left me checking to see how much longer there is to go because I'm a bit tired of it. Like I said - I do like it - but it's not had anything like the impact that Birth or Painted Veil did on me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Thank you too biggrin

It doesn't! shame

The bit that really got me was the way the counterline from the main theme of THE PATRIOT comes in. wink
    Sorry Anthony - I think it's fantastic sounding, but that's only because I could have sworn that this composer had been Williams ghostwriter for the last decade.

If anyone says this doesn't sound like John Williams, they either haven't heard it, or haven't heard John Williams.
  3. Hey, I did say the album was too long. wink (referring to Ben Button)

But I see your point... his style of performance is very open to that criticism. I thought you were saying the emotion inherent in the writing was too clinical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hey, I did say the album was too long. wink (referring to Ben Button)

Ah, but you had to take a swipe at poor James Horner along the way!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Thank you too biggrin

It doesn't! shame

If anyone says this doesn't sound like John Williams, they either haven't heard it, or haven't heard John Williams.

OH THANK YOU! kiss
  4. Sometimes I can't help taking a swipe at Jimmy.

Has anyone noticed that Holst's Jupite....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sometimes I can't help taking a swipe at Jimmy.

Has anyone noticed that Holst's Jupite....

Some day you'll come to regret all this. Some day.
  5. I know it, but I do.

NP: Wall-E (Newman)

Clearly the best score of 2008. (Time to be agreeable, and instead annoy Demetris.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I know it, but I do.

Clearly the best score of 2008. (Time to be agreeable, and instead annoy Demetris.)

Tee-hee. I don't know if you're saying that only to be agreeable and to annoy Demetris (both of which are worthy aims) but you're clearly right - it is the best score of 2008.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Anthony, i am not saying it's NOT good music. But it's heavily unoriginal. Some might bother, others not and it's perfectly fine with me.

It might not be an original "style" but it's original music. Funny that you praise Reign of Fire yet you don't call out Shearmur for being heavily influenced by Goldenthal.

-Erik-
  6. If REIGN OF FIRE is *that* influenced by Goldenthal that I could swear he'd written it, I'll buy it. (I've been waiting too long for a new Goldenthal score.) wink

Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I know it, but I do.

Tee-hee. I don't know if you're saying that only to be agreeable and to annoy Demetris (both of which are worthy aims) but you're clearly right - it is the best score of 2008.

That song at the end does annoy me though. It isn't LAST MIMZY bad, but it's got more to the 2nd half of the film than the 1st half (the brilliant part). Something for the kids to sing along to. Blech.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I highly recommend you buy REIGN OF FIRE Michael, it's superb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sounds rather loud to me...

...I've got the DVD but have never watched it so I think I'll check it out in the movie first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Sounds rather loud to me...

...I've got the DVD but have never watched it so I think I'll check it out in the movie first.

Awesome movie, too!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It might not be an original "style" but it's original music. Funny that you praise Reign of Fire yet you don't call out Shearmur for being heavily influenced by Goldenthal.

-Erik-

It is heavily influenced as well, who said it wasn't? But it's a damn fine score with bold thematic statements and a massive sound, some of the most impressive scores of the genre one will likely hear, ever and i just love it. AFRIKA is good too, i am not too fond of John Williams' plagiarisms in general, but i can understand how many people will like it. No problem with me. The fact that i love REIGN OF FIRE doesn't make AFRIKA more original though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    The fact that i love REIGN OF FIRE doesn't make AFRIKA more original though.

That wasn't my argument. The issue I have is that you shit all over a composer who is influenced by John Williams yet praise a score written by some one who is influenced by one of your favorite composers.

But then again we are all guilty of doing that... wink

As for Afrika - it's a damn fine score with bold thematic statements and a massive sound, some of the most impressive scores of the genre one will likely hear, ever and i just love it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I haven't placed doo-doo over nobody; except for TYLER BATES biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARCO BELTRAMI - TERMINATOR 3: Rise of the Machines

Loud. BLISS punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM - John Williams

Heaven cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt