• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2009
    NP: Beauty and the Beast (Special Edition) - Alan Menken

Human Again rocks! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote

Michael Collins (Elliot Goldenthal)

Somehow a younger version of myself ignored this at the time for years on end... Big mistake! But I'm glad I rectified that mistake... This is very good coming from the master of disonnance, showing his more thematic side. Coupled with Sinead O'Connor's vocals this is a standout score in a discography that is in dire need of expansion.

big, big mistake indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Michael Collins (Elliot Goldenthal)

Somehow a younger version of myself ignored this at the time for years on end... Big mistake! But I'm glad I rectified that mistake... This is very good coming from the master of disonnance, showing his more thematic side. Coupled with Sinead O'Connor's vocals this is a standout score in a discography that is in dire need of expansion.

big, big mistake indeed.

at least he listens to good music
    I must listen to Max Payne for a review tongue

Anyway, it is hard to find something interesting besides the main theme in
    NP: Treasure of the Four Crowns Ennio Morricone
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. NP: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Desplat)

For me, bliss. Putting the album in something closer (though not exactly aligned) to the chronological order of the film doesn't hurt either.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Desplat)

For me, bliss. Putting the album in something closer (though not exactly aligned) to the chronological order of the film doesn't hurt either.

Bliss is the right word. Excellent film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What makes it excellent film music, IMO, is it's not just 'nice sounding music', but it's also an experience. And I haven't even seen the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Exactly. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing:
    Hannibal (Dramatic and elegant ) - The Ring (terrorific) - The Da Vinci Code ( Mysteris and majestous)

These are some of the best scores By Zimmer.

Special mention to the ring, an aparently a minor score, wich is one of his best composition, IMHO.And You know, The Da VInci Code is in my opinion, his masterpiece.

NP:The Thin Red Line

I don't know why, but while I'm really touched by some tracks, and it has all the elements I like, it never was one of my most loved scores by Zimmer.

"the lagoon" is almost my favourite track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Terrorific? Mysteris? Majestous?

Well if you're not gonna patent them, I will! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Lion King II: Simba's Pride - tons of unknown songwriters
    I must admit I like these songs shame tongue

I just love that main theme song "He Lives in You" punk

That's a great song by Mancina, indeed. Have you ever heard the original version on Rhythm Of The Pride Lands? It's longer than the edited version on TLK2.

But I also like songs such as We Are One and Love Will Find A Way... shame they're nothing special but nice to sing along! bunny

And I enjoy Lebo M's pop songs which have nothing to do with Simba's Pride...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Batman: The Animated Series - Shirley Walker

This is good television scoring indeed. Very, very good! cool

Great 2 CD release too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    WP: Laputa: The Castle In The Sky Symphony "Taiju (Great Tree)" - Joe Hisaishi

This is really... weak!

It really lacks the energy and emotion the original had. "Fully symphonic" "less synthesizers" "bigger orchestra"... those words don't necessarily mean better.

Some Amazon reviewers say its recording/mixing is very poor, so it may be one of the reasons. But slow-paced pieces are also annoying...

Princess Mononoke: Symphonic Suite provides better listening experience than the original score, imo, but Laputa Symphony was an unnecessary rework.

Next time I'll check out the US version score (re-orchestrated by Hisaishi)... I hope it's better than this.

NP: Laputa: The Castle In The Sky (Original Score)

Great. The original must be the best. punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  3. Miya wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Lion King II: Simba's Pride - tons of unknown songwriters
    I must admit I like these songs shame tongue

I just love that main theme song "He Lives in You" punk

That's a great song by Mancina, indeed. Have you ever heard the original version on Rhythm Of The Pride Lands? It's longer than the edited version on TLK2.

But I also like songs such as We Are One and Love Will Find A Way... shame they're nothing special but nice to sing along! bunny

And I enjoy Lebo M's pop songs which have nothing to do with Simba's Pride...

I haven't heard the album yet "Rhythm of the Pride Lands", perhaps I should do that one time
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Happening James Newton Howard

One of my least favourite Shyamalan-JNH scores, but it's still an excellent score (and to be fair it is going up against Unbreakable, Signs, The Village and Lady In The Water).

It's probably just as well crafted as those aforementioned scores, but it's not quite as enjoyable on album. Still, with a bit of editing there's much to enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Happening James Newton Howard

One of my least favourite Shyamalan-JNH scores, but it's still an excellent score (and to be fair it is going up against Unbreakable, Signs, The Village and Lady In The Water).

It's probably just as well crafted as those aforementioned scores, but it's not quite as enjoyable on album. Still, with a bit of editing there's much to enjoy.

The film stinks!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Let's hope it's not one of the last Shyamalan-JNH scores. sad (Although Ed Zwick could turn out to be the new Shyamalan for JNH!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Let's hope it's not one of the last Shyamalan-JNH scores. sad (Although Ed Zwick could turn out to be the new Shyamalan for JNH!)

I hope so too Steven, I've voiced this fear before, if Shyamalan keeps churning out turkeys JNH won't be scoring for the direct to DVD market.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I hope so too Steven, I've voiced this fear before, if Shyamalan keeps churning out turkeys JNH won't be scoring for the direct to DVD market.

I think for the time being Shyamalan still has his loyal fans (I include myself as one of them), and I think he made just one crappy movie so far (The Happening)

I think it will take him several of those to put him straight to video

+ the new project by Shyamalan appears to be something different, hopefully it gives him back his inspiration smile
  5. NP: The Delta Force by Alan Silvestri

I must say the main theme is too Hot Shots and too optimistic for its otherwise bleak movie score, have a pretty hard time in finding this all interesting
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I think for the time being Shyamalan still has his loyal fans (I include myself as one of them), and I think he made just one crappy movie so far (The Happening)

+ the new project by Shyamalan appears to be something different, hopefully it gives him back his inspiration smile

It does seem he'll never quite reach the quality of his first two major films though. Wait, that's it! He should hire Bruce Willis again! love
  6. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

It does seem he'll never quite reach the quality of his first two major films though. Wait, that's it! He should hire Bruce Willis again! love

hehe, that's true, but Signs is equally brilliant as the first 2
    + What a SCORE wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Signs is probably as well crafted from a filmmaker's point of view, but it doesn't have as a good a script as the previous two in mah opinion. Unbreakable has an AWESOME script!
  7. Steven wrote
    Signs is probably as well crafted from a filmmaker's point of view, but it doesn't have as a good a script as the previous two in mah opinion. Unbreakable has an AWESOME script!

Unbreakable has perhaps the most ingenious script and development of all, but I love how all the clues are with double meaning in Sings, I adore that he tells us the answers but we just don't pick them up

ah, what the hellp, his first 3 are simply classic movies punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Signs > Sixth Sense > Unbreakable in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote

Unbreakable has perhaps the most ingenious script and development of all, but I love how all the clues are with double meaning in Sings, I adore that he tells us the answers but we just don't pick them up

ah, what the hellp, his first 3 are simply classic movies punk

Well said, as for his next project I'd like see him scare the living shit out of us again, like in The Sixth Sense and Signs, and to some extent The Village, maybe he'll have learned his lesson with The Happening, or how he managed to not scare even the biggest wuss in the world with this one. sleep
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    maybe he'll have learned his lesson with The Happening, or how he managed to not scare even the biggest wuss in the world with this one. sleep

You know what... The Happening was easily the greatest cinematic experience I had all last year. The film was so Goddamn bad that when watching with my wife and a few friends we just had a ball trying to think of what stupid thing would happen next. And once Marky Mark started talking to the tree we all lost it. The Best Comedy on the Year! I mean, f__k me, they out run the bloody WIND!!! Brilliant!

-Erik-

PS - The first five minutes of the movie was really, really good... and I mean that. Some of the most shocking shit I've seen in the film since seeing all those children get cut up, ripped apart and speared in Rambo 4.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    maybe he'll have learned his lesson with The Happening, or how he managed to not scare even the biggest wuss in the world with this one. sleep

You know what... The Happening was easily the greatest cinematic experience I had all last year. The film was so Goddamn bad that when watching with my wife and a few friends we just had a ball trying to think of what stupid thing would happen next. And once Marky Mark started talking to the tree we all lost it. The Best Comedy on the Year! I mean, f__k me, they out run the bloody WIND!!! Brilliant!

-Erik-

PS - The first five minutes of the movie was really, really good... and I mean that. Some of the most shocking shit I've seen in the film since seeing all those children get cut up, ripped apart and speared in Rambo 4.

true the opening looked like it was going to be really good, but sadly talking to plants and being plastic while at it just wasn't the right way to go tongue

ps, the entire Rambo 4 movie is poetic violence, utter poetic violence, I can't believe I enjoyed being so shocked out of my ass shame
  9. Steven wrote

Call me harsh, but I find even the least of the Shyamalan-JNH scores to be worth a lot more than whichever of BLOOD DIAMOND or DEFIANCE is meant to be worth listening to twice. wink

NP: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Mark Mothersbaugh)

I do dearly love this crazy film and its crazy music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

Call me harsh, but I find even the least of the Shyamalan-JNH scores to be worth a lot more than whichever of BLOOD DIAMOND or DEFIANCE is meant to be worth listening to twice. wink

You're harsh! cry

(Well, with Blood Diamond I can see your point. It ain't no Signs. But it IS good.)
  10. NP: Valkyrie (John Ottman)

Apart from the stunning opening and effective first couple of tracks, this score doesn't really sounds that good, the several emotional moments aside confused