• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    Steven wrote
    The Black Dahlia is certainly one of my favourites of the 00s. Rarely has a composer impressed me so much and disappointed me equally as much afterward.

Far Off Place James Horner

Magical stuff. Sort of sounds like Broughton in places?

I love this score! Interesting you mention Broughton as I remember hearing that this was ghost written though I can't find anything to back that statement up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Bolt - John Powell

Seriously addicted to Bolt Transforms, Scooter Chase, A Fast Train and Rescuing Penny!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    2. JAMES NEWTON HOWARD is not just an excellent composer; he's one of the last few remaining artists in film music. Another such an example is Alexandre Desplat.

Honestly? Would a true "artist" write Michael Clayton, or Freedomland, or The Lookout, or Dreamcatcher? I know there's some great stuff to go along with that dross, but the ratio's not healthy enough for me to lose my doubts.

All the world's greatest artists produced some crap from time to time in their lives.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Seems odd you would condemn a composer for their less-than-admirable scores. Horner's produced his fair share of less-than-admirable scores during his career. Even Goldsmith didn't get it right all the time. But there were/are still great composers.

Indeed. But JNH probably needs another 25 or so really borderline-great scores before he gets to Horner level (and he's probably a very similar age), and another 25 after that to get to Goldsmith. Good though JNH's best work is, it's a billion miles behind even Horner's best (Signs is good... but Star Trek II or The Rocketeer or Legends of the Fall-level?), let alone Goldsmith.

No he doesn't need that. He's musicianship and ability for crafting beautiful, meaningful melodies and brilliant themes is unique and has already brought him way ahead many, many others, even from the older days of his career, not just now. Especially when he goes Shyamalan-y, his scores are outright examples of modern film music at its most brilliant and his outcome in general is always one step (at least) ahead the masses. I truly consider him as a part of around 5 people who can still do that in film music.

As for the inferior part of his music through the years, i believe you know way better than me, that there are several Goldsmith scores (to say but an example) which are simply unbearable, namely the ones packed with his synth farts.

That doesn't diminish his grandeur the least.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    He's musicianship and ability for crafting beautiful, meaningful melodies and brilliant themes is unique....

No PR-type language permitted here. tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin Not a better pr for him than VILLAGE or SIGNS. Put those scores in, along with bits of UNBREAKABLE and you have a clear display of my points.

Damn i should have been paid for all this angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Good God, how have I managed to stay quiet for this long? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Synth farts.

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Seems odd you would condemn a composer for their less-than-admirable scores. Horner's produced his fair share of less-than-admirable scores during his career. Even Goldsmith didn't get it right all the time. But there were/are still great composers.

Indeed. But JNH probably needs another 25 or so really borderline-great scores before he gets to Horner level (and he's probably a very similar age), and another 25 after that to get to Goldsmith. Good though JNH's best work is, it's a billion miles behind even Horner's best (Signs is good... but Star Trek II or The Rocketeer or Legends of the Fall-level?), let alone Goldsmith.

I see your point. I suppose it just depends on our personal preferences when it comes to Signs, I find it as enjoyable and as good as Star Trek II IMO, they're just two very different scores... plus I think I have a little more faith in JNH than you and Michael.

(Again, Michael Clayton is just bloody awful.)
  2. Here's a question to separate the sheep from the goats. Which would you prefer - THE FORGOTTEN, or MICHAEL CLAYTON?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Clayton!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Here's a question to separate the sheep from the goats. Which would you prefer - THE FORGOTTEN, or MICHAEL CLAYTON?

The Forgotten does more for its film, but then I guess it's a considerably weaker film. I'd rather have neither, I think.

Anyway, I allowed myself to get carried away with all this JNH business. My original post was only to offer the opinion that if you took away his Shyamalan scores, you're not left with much, but fortunately you don't have to take them away, and they're all very good. I find talk of him being a great artist frankly laughable, or even a great film composer. I can tell you what Alex North or Bernard Herrmann or Jerry Goldsmith (or James Horner!) brought to a film that no other film composer would have been able to do, but I couldn't tell you the same thing about JNH. I'm sure his big fans could (LSH?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Southall wrote
    I find talk of him being a great artist frankly laughable, or even a great film composer.

Being a fan of his non-Shyamalan beautiful scores like Dinosaur, Atlantis, Treasure Island, Water Horse, Waterworld, Signs and King Kong, I must disagree. Strongly. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Like Ravi, I can only really point to examples of his work.

To each his own, blah blah...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I just dig his style. You know you're listening to JNH, and I bloody love the guy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Ditto.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

I was truly, truly moved by The Egg Travels and Breakout while watching the movie! Extremely powerful. And Raptors/Stand Together is a terrific action cue!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think JNH is not a great composer. He has remarkable scores, and his style is quite recognizable, but he doesn't surprise a lot.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

I was truly, truly moved by The Egg Travels and Breakout while watching the movie! Extremely powerful. And Raptors/Stand Together is a terrific action cue!

But where's the pan pipes!? shocked wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    For fuck's sake Tim, just insert a few of those damned cues from Quantum Of Solace into the album if it makes you happy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    For fuck's sake Tim, just insert a few of those damned cues from Quantum Of Solace into the album if it makes you happy.

But I don't like the pan pipes in that!?? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How can anyone not like pan pipes? sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Pah! Go pull out yer old Georgie Zamfir CD's rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

I know!? confused Ever since I first listened to Under Fire, I've LOVED pan pipes!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I know!? confused Ever since I first listened to Under Fire, I've LOVED pan pipes!

Yes indeedy.....when used well cool beer

Morricone's The Mission also fits that too cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

Fair enough.

NP: Nothing

Goodnight...

[I won't be posting again until the weekend as I'm going on a little trip for three days to a small rural town by the coast with plenty of wine bars. smile ]

Toodle-pip.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

Yes indeedy.....when used well cool beer

Morricone's The Mission also fits that too cool

My favorite use is in The Karate Kid I and II. Daniel's training montage in the first film especially!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

Fair enough.

NP: Nothing

Goodnight...

[I won't be posting again until the weekend as I'm going on a little trip for three days to a small rural town by the coast with plenty of wine bars. smile ]

Toodle-pip.

Have a great time Lee beer

p.s. you do know I was jesting? the two villains in DINOSAUR are south american dinosaurs and yet the music is mostly african influenced wink

....I'll get my coat slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

p.s. you do know I was jesting? the two villains in DINOSAUR are south american dinosaurs and yet the music is mostly african influenced wink

I tend not to worry about it since it's a film with TALKING DINOSAURS. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote

Of course, you've mentioned it several times before.

....I'll get my coat slant

No! You're not coming.