• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    Krull - James Horner

I just know I won't get through all 95 minutes of it (must try to find a decent 60-minute playlist) but this is seriously good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Krull - James Horner

I just know I won't get through all 95 minutes of it (must try to find a decent 60-minute playlist) but this is seriously good.

If you do, do share.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are you all serious?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. NP: Mercenaries II (Chris Tilton)

I like this one. It's interesting to hear a style of composition I so associate with Giacchino in someone else. (Though obviously there's a Giacchino connection to this score.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are you all serious?

About what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Very.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MMMkay.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Very.

Speak for yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No. I speak for humanity.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sneakers - James Horner

Someone I used to work with had an unusual expression for describing things he thought were really good - "different gravy" - well, this is different gravy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Sneakers - James Horner

Someone I used to work with had an unusual expression for describing things he thought were really good - "different gravy" - well, this is different gravy.

All hail 'The Escape/Whistler's Rescue'.
  2. NP: Notes on a Scandal (Philip Glass)

Perhaps the standout among his mainstream scores post-The Hours? It really sinks its evil tendrils into the film and doesn't let go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I must try this SLUMDOG score. (And see the film!)

Saw the movie over the weekend and the score gave me a three day migraine. With the exception of the love theme, which is rather generic, the techno middle eastern music was mixed far too loud, distracted from what was going on in the film and didn't support the visuals whatsoever. The techno action music, especially during one of the most BRUTALLY violent moments in the film, was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Awful music, awful film score. You know what had more emotional impact? The pre-existing "Who Wants To Be Millionaire" suspense music with the heart beat sound effect. The playing of that music against the last scenes of the film works a million times better than the original "score."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Sounds like I better not like it relations with Canada are to stay on a good foot! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Notes on a Scandal (Philip Glass)

Perhaps the standout among his mainstream scores post-The Hours? It really sinks its evil tendrils into the film and doesn't let go.

Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sounds like I better not like it relations with Canada are to stay on a good foot! wink

Well, that's just my opinion. I'm glad there are people out there that enjoy the album but after seeing the film and listening to the score an excruciating two times I can easily say that it's not for me and that I will never play it ever again. I'm now trying to figure out which was worse... IRON MAN or SLUMDOG.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sounds like I better not like it relations with Canada are to stay on a good foot! wink

Well, that's just my opinion. I'm glad there are people out there that enjoy the album but after seeing the film and listening to the score an excruciating two times I can easily say that it's not for me and that I will never play it ever again. I'm now trying to figure out which was worse... IRON MAN or SLUMDOG.

-Erik-

Crumbs... they're strong words! In terms of grades of insult, accusing a score of being as bad as Iron Man is right up there!
  4. NP: "Diamond Diary" - Thief - Tangerine Dream

TD are very much a hit-and-miss outfit for me when it comes to film scoring. But this 10-minute track is a great listen!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mercenaries II (Chris Tilton)

I like this one. It's interesting to hear a style of composition I so associate with Giacchino in someone else. (Though obviously there's a Giacchino connection to this score.)

I was listening to "Jungle Brawl" earlier this evening and I'd forgotten just how good the percussion is on this track. And the appearance of the guitar was so unexpected the first time I heard this cue!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Atham wrote
    Batman: The Animated Series - Shirley Walker

This is good television scoring indeed. Very, very good! cool

Great 2 CD release too!

Listening to this earlier. There's a lot of variety contained on these 2 CDs. Walker definitely adds to the whole feel of the Batman franchise set out by Elfman. But all the music on this set that's associated with the Joker is just annoying. But the Penguin's music is beautiful to listen to.
  7. But all the music on this set that's associated with the Joker is just annoying.

It definitely doesn't leave you head. Hasn't driven me crazy yet though. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    The Phantom Menace John Williams

This is the complete unedited version. Puts the so-called "ultimate" edition to utter shame.

You finally got hold of this version Steven!

There's a few previously unheard cues that's good to finally hear here!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are you all serious?

About what?

D either means Slumdog or Krull I'm guessing!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. NP: Revolutionary Road (Newman)

What's happening to me? A few weeks ago, I found this a fairly uninteresting score. Today I find it compelling and moving. Is there no such thing as a consistent reaction anymore?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    Until (if) that academy promo ever comes out, it will never quite reach the right spot on CD...

Oh gosh, I really hope it comes out!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Land Before Time - James Horner

Lovely score. Great themes and great action material! The Discovery music is gorgeous smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009 edited
    I got a slight cold and took medicine, so now I'm seriously sleepy! dizzy But I have to study today, so I need something cheerful but loud to wake myself up...

NP: Ice Age: The Meltdown - John Powell !

FUN. punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  9. "Chain Reaction" 2CD (Jerry Goldsmith)

An uneven, borderline serious mickey mousing score with light rips of themes from his other works. All in all a boring score that offers nothing. CD1 just stopped, so I made it half way, but I should have shut it off earlier.

"SeaQuest: DSV", boot, three episode scores (Don Davis)

Found myself bored. Just wasn't a strong enough listem 9 tracks in.

Switched to: "Meet the Robinsons" (promo; Danny Elfman)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    "Chain Reaction" 2CD (Jerry Goldsmith)

An uneven, borderline serious mickey mousing score with light rips of themes from his other works. All in all a boring score that offers nothing. CD1 just stopped, so I made it half way, but I should have shut it off earlier.

I'm the biggest Goldsmith nut of all but even I would award someone a medal for listening to a 2CD version of this. Why not just listen to the commercial album? Infinitely better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Revolutionary Road (Newman)

What's happening to me? A few weeks ago, I found this a fairly uninteresting score. Today I find it compelling and moving. Is there no such thing as a consistent reaction anymore?

You and Nautilus should set up home together!