• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Lion King 1 1/2 (Promo) - Don Harper

Not bad, not bad at all, for a ridiculous direct-to-video movie.

And Lebo M. is involved! That's the wisest decision on the whole project...

Yeah, it's quite nice!
    Personally I liked the movie too (though at points it contradicted the original TLK!) and loved the ending. biggrin But personally I'd rather have a promo of Zimmer's original score in this quality! wink

I enjoyed TLK 1 1/2 as a spin-off, but I also wondered... was it necessary to be made? They should leave that kind of stuff to fanfiction writers! tongue

I'd rather to see a theatrical version of The Lion King II: Simba's Pride remade by the original TLK staff (including HZ and Lebo M)! Its story and concept have the potential to be a good film, if only it's made in sufficient time, by more talented storywriters, animators, musicians, etc...

NP: Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey End Credits - Bruce Broughton
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009
    Miya wrote
    I'd rather to see a theatrical version of The Lion King II: Simba's Pride remade by the original TLK staff (including HZ and Lebo M)! Its story and concept have the potential to be a good film, if only it's made in sufficient time, by more talented storywriters, animators, musicians, etc...

They might do it sometime, yeah. I also think we might be getting a Lion King 4 in the not-so-distant future too wink

NP: Mulan II - Joel McNeely

Great use of ethnic instruments!
  1. Here is the first two "Eraser" suites:

SUITE 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmGF6u6P9o4

SUITE 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLsNgfusiXc
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Aladdin - Alan Menken

Great fun, both songs and score! punk
  2. NP: Pane e libertà - Ennio Morricone

First listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Krull - James Horner

I have nothing but complete adoration for this score!

I always have and I always will! cool

Now back to my devotion time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

They might do it sometime, yeah. I also think we might be getting a Lion King 4 in the not-so-distant future too wink

NP: Mulan II - Joel McNeely

Great use of ethnic instruments!

Two peas in a pod you two! dizzy
  3. NP: The Missing (Horner)

Very solid main theme. The way he saves up the full revelation for closing moments of the film (with that trumpet harmony) is a beautiful choice. I see what James meant about it being a score planned from the outset.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kiss my Krull. Pf.

KRULL you say!? biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Two peas in a pod you two! dizzy

bunny

NP: LoTR: Return Of The King (Complete Recordings) - Howard Shore

For some reason the big choral action music in The Siege Of Gondor is totally stuck in my head today. Absolutely adore this score!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Missing (Horner)

Very solid main theme. The way he saves up the full revelation for closing moments of the film (with that trumpet harmony) is a beautiful choice. I see what James meant about it being a score planned from the outset.

A truly uninspired score from Horner IMO. It features all his usual and tired tricks and frankly the album is way too long. Being the Horner-fan I am, this disappointed me. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How can The Missing disappoint anyone!? shocked (You what I love? Being able to enjoy many things. It's great. biggrin tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Countering the ponderous pounding in my head, NP: Shanghai Noon - Randy Edelman

Upbeat, fun, exciting and infectious.

I love the way Edelman sets up these broad thematic strokes and chords. Subtle it's not, but subtlety -especially in film music- is overrated as far as I'm concerned (you know thunder and lightning always has my preference cool ).

Not as awe-inspiringly cool as his xXx (but then, so very few scores are), but great fun nonetheless!
    4/5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Night At The Museum - Alan Silvestri

Not excellent but certainly has very entertaining moments!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Fargo - Carter Burwell

Holy crap! shocked
    This is beautiful!
    Melancholic and harmonious, with a lot of musical twists and turns -also in orchestration- to keep things interesting.
    What a great little score! I'm sorry I didn't discover it earlier.

4.5/5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DANNY ELFMAN - Wanted.

Loud. Yeah baby punk punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Fargo - Carter Burwell

Holy crap! shocked
    This is beautiful!
    Melancholic and harmonious, with a lot of musical twists and turns -also in orchestration- to keep things interesting.
    What a great little score! I'm sorry I didn't discover it earlier.

4.5/5

This is a fine album and a fine score, but crediting it to Carter Burwell is a bit of a stretch. I know that both album and film do credit it to him, but it's all folk music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    but it's all folk music.

That's a bit ungenerous.
    There's a fair amount of folk music in there, but as much "traditional" as specifically composed.
  5. NP: Pane e libertà - Ennio Morricone

Great score. Surely one of the best of 2008.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Miya wrote

Who are Timone and Pumba btw?? I've never heard about characters with such names. slant

Eh? Really? You've seen TLK right? The warthog (Pumba) and meerkat (Timon) ... that became pals to Simba when he went into exile?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lp wrote
    Miya wrote

Who are Timone and Pumba btw?? I've never heard about characters with such names. slant

Eh? Really? You've seen TLK right? The warthog (Pumba) and meerkat (Timon) ... that became pals to Simba when he went into exile?

She means the characters' names are misspelled. Their names are TIMON and PUMBAA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Transporter 3 - Alexandre Azaria

Not a very impressive turn for this up and coming composer. His sequel score was far superior than this one..
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    lp wrote
    Miya wrote

She means the characters' names are misspelled. Their names are TIMON and PUMBAA.

Ah, gotcha.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lp wrote
    NP: Transporter 3 - Alexandre Azaria

Not a very impressive turn for this up and coming composer. His sequel score was far superior than this one..

Yup. Apart from the two action tracks (which a musically CRAP, but enjoyable) it's a bore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    but it's all folk music.

That's a bit ungenerous.
    There's a fair amount of folk music in there, but as much "traditional" as specifically composed.

I revise my opinion.

It's all traditional music.

(Of course, "all" is an exaggeration, but an awful lot of it is not by Burwell. Of course, that doesn't change how good it is, nor how effective it is in the film, and I assume it was his choice to use the music he did so he also deserves the credit for that.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Film Music Of Clifton Parker

A compilation album with musical suites from this lesser known British composer who was most active in the fifties of the last century.

Some proper jewels in here. I particularly like his Sea Of Sand and The Sword And The Rose (the latter having a wonderful Romantic quality in a Delerue/Rozsa-ish vein to it. It definitely deserves a proper full rerecording/release!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Krull James Horner

It is, in all honesty, utterly beyond me how anyone could dislike this?? (At least as far as being a film music fan goes.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP : Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Mychael Danna

It's okay. I like how unlike Mychael Danna this score sounds. There are a few good tracks, but most of these cues sounded way better when accompanying the onscreen action.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Krull James Horner

It is, in all honesty, utterly beyond me how anyone could dislike this?? (At least as far as being a film music fan goes.)

Yeap! I wish there was an 'shake head in uncomprehension' emoticon for Krull non-believers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: The Film Music Of Clifton Parker

A compilation album with musical suites from this lesser known British composer who was most active in the fifties of the last century.

Some proper jewels in here. I particularly like his Sea Of Sand and The Sword And The Rose (the latter having a wonderful Romantic quality in a Delerue/Rozsa-ish vein to it. It definitely deserves a proper full rerecording/release!)

Indeed there are some real gems on this album. Blue Pullman is a particular highlight for me.