• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009
    lp wrote
    NP : Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Mychael Danna

It's okay. I like how unlike Mychael Danna this score sounds. There are a few good tracks, but most of these cues sounded way better when accompanying the onscreen action.

Is this Mychael? I thought it was Jeff. In any case, I agree with your assessment. An odd choice of composer for this film, and probably not the right one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Krull James Horner

It is, in all honesty, utterly beyond me how anyone could dislike this?? (At least as far as being a film music fan goes.)

Yeap! I wish there was an 'shake head in uncomprehension' emoticon for Krull non-believers.

Surely you mean incomprehension?

(This is never going to end, is it? biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Krull James Horner

It is, in all honesty, utterly beyond me how anyone could dislike this?? (At least as far as being a film music fan goes.)

Yeap! I wish there was an 'shake head in uncomprehension' emoticon for Krull non-believers.

Surely you mean incomprehension?

(This is never going to end, is it? biggrin )

Do you mean the correction of grammatical errors, or the love of Krull?

Either way, you're probably right. As long as the internet lives, people will make minor grammatical errors. As long as Demetris lives, people will be forced to say how great Krull is - on a regular basis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hereby rule that the phrase 'For the love of God' be replaced by 'For the love of Krull'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I hereby rule that the phrase 'For the love of God' be replaced by 'For the love of Krull'.

Agreed....By Krull! beer

UN-comprehensible....a minor G dubya moment from me shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Fargo - Carter Burwell

Holy crap! shocked
    This is beautiful!
    Melancholic and harmonious, with a lot of musical twists and turns -also in orchestration- to keep things interesting.
    What a great little score! I'm sorry I didn't discover it earlier.

4.5/5

This is a fine album and a fine score, but crediting it to Carter Burwell is a bit of a stretch. I know that both album and film do credit it to him, but it's all folk music.

Now James, shall we start talking about other film composers who take out a mortgage on the music of others with only a 10% deposit? tongue

Using folk tunes, particularly when he and Kompanek reworked it so that it had the Burwell sound, is bread and butter for many a film composer.

NP: Nid-de-Guepes (Desplat)

'You're all gonna die!' Great motif for the villain underneath that bit of dialogue.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    For the love of Krull and all that is holy! beer
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Missing (Horner)

Very solid main theme. The way he saves up the full revelation for closing moments of the film (with that trumpet harmony) is a beautiful choice. I see what James meant about it being a score planned from the outset.

A truly uninspired score from Horner IMO. It features all his usual and tired tricks and frankly the album is way too long. Being the Horner-fan I am, this disappointed me. sad

There's a few tricks that weren't there before. Just off the top of my head. The way the electronic sounds enter at moments was a new trick for him, anticipating his work on films soon after. The use of the orchestra chairs as percussion added a nice clicky percussion sound that sounded like an even more powerful kind of col legno (probably because any player can bang their chair on the ground, but only the cellists can play col legno). I'll agree the album is a bit long, a problem on just about every major Horner score since TITANIC. I edited a 25 suite of it once which I listen to more often than the full score.

I do resist the notion that the score is just a retread of LEGENDS OF THE FALL. I can hear a motif or two that I heard in A BEAUTIFUL MIND, but the main themes - both the settler style theme and the fanfare theme - are QUITE DIFFERENT in contour and (even) idiom to the hymnal themes of LEGENDS.

If this is an uninspired score for Horner, then INDIANA JONES AND THE CRYSTAL SKULL is an uninspired score for Williams. Not that hard to make for the maker, but pretty much perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Fargo - Carter Burwell

Holy crap! shocked
    This is beautiful!
    Melancholic and harmonious, with a lot of musical twists and turns -also in orchestration- to keep things interesting.
    What a great little score! I'm sorry I didn't discover it earlier.

4.5/5

This is a fine album and a fine score, but crediting it to Carter Burwell is a bit of a stretch. I know that both album and film do credit it to him, but it's all folk music.

Now James, shall we start talking about other film composers who take out a mortgage on the music of others with only a 10% deposit? tongue

Using folk tunes, particularly when he and Kompanek reworked it so that it had the Burwell sound, is bread and butter for many a film composer.

Yes indeedio... not disputing that. But hey, let's not have one rule for one composer and another for all the rest. The music in the film and on the album is great. I do like Fargo.
  3. Just so long as you attack Steiner's CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE on the same grounds next month, all will be well. wink

NP: Australia (Hirschfelder)

This is the short promo score that's going round. There's some good things here. But it is amazing how many small licks you can hear of other things as you listen to this. This really was a temp track retread for poor Hirschfelder at times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Just so long as you attack Steiner's CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE on the same grounds next month, all will be well. wink

Does it have to be next month? I'd much rather do it during March.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote
    NP : Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Mychael Danna

It's okay. I like how unlike Mychael Danna this score sounds. There are a few good tracks, but most of these cues sounded way better when accompanying the onscreen action.

Is this Mychael? I thought it was Jeff. In any case, I agree with your assessment. An odd choice of composer for this film, and probably not the right one.

HAH! It was Jeff Danna. But my statement (that it doesn't sound like Mychael Danna) is still correct. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009 edited
    NP : Love Affair - Ennio Morricone

What a LYRICAL and MESMERIZING love theme, and the gorgeous strings, as only the Maestro can do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote

What a LYRICAL and MESMERIZING love theme, and the gorgeous strings, as only the Maestro can do.

Very true! An absolutely gorgeous theme. (Which is a good job, since the score essentially just repeats it over and over again.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Krull - James Horner (original CD presentation)

As Jacques Delors might say, c'est magnifique!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009
    Atham wrote

By Krull I agree!!! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    They might do it sometime, yeah. I also think we might be getting a Lion King 4 in the not-so-distant future too wink

No more direct-to-video cheapquels! John Lasseter dumped them all (except Tinker Bell's) anyway.

I prefer to see theatrical re-release of The Lion King in the future! It was on VHS I saw it for the first time. sad

Steven wrote
    Two peas in a pod you two! dizzy

We both are brainwashed by evil Disney. christmas_drunk M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E! christmas_drunk biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    lp wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Lion King 1 1/2 (Promo) - Don Harper

Who are Timone and Pumba btw?? I've never heard about characters with such names. slant

Eh? Really? You've seen TLK right? The warthog (Pumba) and meerkat (Timon) ... that became pals to Simba when he went into exile?

I just can't help nitpicking everything about TLK!

Of course I've seen TLK, countless times. I saw it fully few weeks ago, again. And also I often play it as "background video" when I take dinner or a nap. bunny

I'm seriously thinking about making a website (or maybe weblog) dedicated to TLK music. Album info, lyrics, interview archive, credit lists, composer bios, etc... Maybe I can do it after finishing my graduation thesis.

NP: Mulan (promo) - Jerry Goldsmith

The Huns Attack! The Huns Attack! The Huns Attack! punk biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    the lion king

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! crazy crazy crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Timmer wrote
    the lion king

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! crazy crazy crazy

shocked

It's OK. Whoa, whoa. It's OK. It's ME.

Carnivores, oy!

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    I prefer to see theatrical re-release of The Lion King in the future! It was on VHS I saw it for the first time. sad

Me too. But personally I prefer watching movies on DVD rather in theatre because out here in theatres the people get... unruly tongue

Fingers crossed for an isolated score track on the future Blu-Ray release!

NP: Defiance - James Newton Howard

Poor JNH, he deserves an award!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote

shocked

It's OK. Whoa, whoa. It's OK. It's ME.

Carnivores, oy!

biggrin

biggrin
  4. Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

By Krull I agree!!! beer

BY KRULL, WE CAN !!! (as quoted by Barack) biggrin

Dinotopia (Trevor Jones)

Another small gem I discovered after reading some people's comments here... Very elegant, beautiful scoring from one of the most thematic composers out there. Like always he has a knack for writing the most stunning main themes, and the way the whole soundtrack flows is something a lot of the newer composers could learn from. It's not often a score grabs me from the first listen, but this one surely does!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. NP: Slumdog Millionaire (Rahman)

Now playing, not on my CD, but in my head. I just saw the film. And it sounds pretty good to me. You could do a lot worse than give that score an Oscar (AMPAS should know, they have many times!). Good to hear a solid song-based score again. (Factotum and Magnolia - another game show based movie - both come to mind as well.)

(I do agree with Erik that the use of the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire piece is a standout feature of the music design as well, for which Rahman can take no credit obviously.)

The film is very good. Dickens and Bollywood rolled into one. Of the four Best Picture Oscar nominees I've seen (I haven't seen The Reader) this film has the big prize hands down.
  6. NP: Fahrenheit 451 (Herrmann)

This is probably the score that Benjamin Button reminds me the most of in some ways. (Despite the lack of waltzes!) One of Herrmann's most beautiful scores, presented beautifully by John Morgan, Anna Bonn and William Stromberg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

Leave No Man Behind is one of my all time favourites!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Hail Krull !! biggrin

NP : Hundra - Ennio Morricone

punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    Hail Krull !! biggrin

NP : Hundra - Ennio Morricone

punk

Hail KRULL! punk

Hail HUNDRA! punk

Hail.....

NP : RED SONJA - Ennio Morricone punk

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote

Very true! An absolutely gorgeous theme. (Which is a good job, since the score essentially just repeats it over and over again.)

Which is PERFECT(!!!!) since I absolutely adores this kind of abashed emotional sweetness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Slumdog Millionaire (Rahman)

Now playing, not on my CD, but in my head. I just saw the film. And it sounds pretty good to me. You could do a lot worse than give that score an Oscar (AMPAS should know, they have many times!). Good to hear a solid song-based score again. (Factotum and Magnolia - another game show based movie - both come to mind as well.)

(I do agree with Erik that the use of the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire piece is a standout feature of the music design as well, for which Rahman can take no credit obviously.)

The film is very good. Dickens and Bollywood rolled into one. Of the four Best Picture Oscar nominees I've seen (I haven't seen The Reader) this film has the big prize hands down.

Werd! It's the kind of movies that we don't and should see more. Quality filmmaking with a great story and universal appeals.