• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone - Ennio Morricone

Probably one of the top 5 film music albums I've ever heard. What a concept. Get one of the, if not THE best cello player in the world to play new arrangements from the classic scores by Ennio Morricone. It's familiar music but a totally different experience! High marks all around. Absolutely breathtaking!

-Erik-

I've never seen the attraction of this CD whenever I read peoples' rave reviews. I keep going back to the clips but I'm never gripped by what I hear - even though I love the sound of the cello.

Maybe it's because the selection on the CD is not something I'm too keen on. Or perhaps it's the adaption of the music for a prominent cello part; I'm not too sure.

But I downloaded the "Ecstasy of Gold" track - as it's by far my favourite cue of the selection - and hearing it in full it certainly does have some high points. But I'll stick with the original.

"Ecstasy of Gold" is, I think, quite possibly the most brilliant individual piece of film music there has ever been. Hearing the Yo-Yo Ma take on it certainly doesn't replace the original, but I think it's a wonderful re-imagining. As for the album as a whole - how refreshing to actually have takes on some of Morricone's most familiar themes which are frequently very different from the original versions. There are so many compilations and re-recordings of his work, it's great to have something which is very different, I think. I agree with Erik - this is one of my favourite albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Sorry to lower the tone...

Rambo Brian Tyler

Quite enjoyable.

Double that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Probably one of the top 5 film music albums I've ever heard. What a concept. Get one of the, if not THE best cello player in the world to play new arrangements from the classic scores by Ennio Morricone. It's familiar music but a totally different experience! High marks all around. Absolutely breathtaking!

-Erik-

I've never seen the attraction of this CD whenever I read peoples' rave reviews. I keep going back to the clips but I'm never gripped by what I hear - even though I love the sound of the cello.

Maybe it's because the selection on the CD is not something I'm too keen on. Or perhaps it's the adaption of the music for a prominent cello part; I'm not too sure.

But I downloaded the "Ecstasy of Gold" track - as it's by far my favourite cue of the selection - and hearing it in full it certainly does have some high points. But I'll stick with the original.

Good as it is I'm right with you Alan, the original is totally unbeatable, impossible to get more sublime than that.

I love that album. Some of the arrangements are even better than the originals and in general, it makes for an outstanding cello-led album with - of course, the gorgeousness of Ennio's music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    JFK John Williams

'The Motorcade' is a brilliant brilliant piece of scoring from Williams.
  1. "The Soul Collector" (promo CD-R)
    By: Dan Folliart

A TV movie scored by co-scorer of "Roseanne". The score is soft and lovely, featuring piano, guitar, strings, and what I think is clarinet (and other occassional miscellaneous intruments).

I know some of you would enjoy this and I wish you could hear it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jaws 2 John Williams

An undeniably brilliant score from John Williams' Golden Age of scoring. The only thing lacking, and this is more an observation than a criticism, is its own personality.

It's 'basically' Jaws put through a Star Wars filter. Which of course is an awesome thing in its own right, and I can't get enough of this score, but if I'm in the mood for Jaws music, I'll put on Jaws. If I'm in the mood for Star Wars, I'll put on Star Wars.

I never find myself in the mood for Jaws 2. I usually listen to it because I'm in the mood for a score from John Williams' most prolific and creative part of his career that isn't Star Wars, Indy or Close Encounters!

I still prefer the first score, but this I think would have wider appeal if it was in more people's collections.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Jaws 2 John Williams

An undeniably brilliant score from John Williams' Golden Age of scoring. The only thing lacking, and this is more an observation than a criticism, is its own personality.

It's 'basically' Jaws put through a Star Wars filter. Which of course is an awesome thing in its own right, and I can't get enough of this score, but if I'm in the mood for Jaws music, I'll put on Jaws. If I'm in the mood for Star Wars, I'll put on Star Wars.

I never find myself in the mood for Jaws 2. I usually listen to it because I'm in the mood for a score from John Williams' most prolific and creative part of his career that isn't Star Wars, Indy or Close Encounters!

I still prefer the first score, but this I think would have wider appeal if it was in more people's collections.

Oh man I friggin LOVE JAWS 2, shite film. BRILLIANT music.

Tracks like Finding The Orca, Ballet For Divers and the awesome Attack On The Helicopter are amongst the highlights, a "Star Wars" filter? Nah!!! This is more by way of Dracula and The Fury.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

"Ecstasy of Gold" is, I think, quite possibly the most brilliant individual piece of film music there has ever been. Hearing the Yo-Yo Ma take on it certainly doesn't replace the original, but I think it's a wonderful re-imagining. As for the album as a whole - how refreshing to actually have takes on some of Morricone's most familiar themes which are frequently very different from the original versions. There are so many compilations and re-recordings of his work, it's great to have something which is very different, I think. I agree with Erik - this is one of my favourite albums.

word!
    WORD!

WORD!
    WORD!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Jaws 2 John Williams

Tracks like Finding The Orca, Ballet For Divers and the awesome Attack On The Helicopter are amongst the highlights, a "Star Wars" filter? Nah!!! This is more by way of Dracula and The Fury.

I hear what Steven is saying. You could say it was also Jaws put through a "Superman/1941" filter.
    "JAWS 2, shite film. BRILLIANT music" unlike the original JAWS which was a brilliant film with BRILLIANT music!!!

All this shark talk and I'm supposed to be diving tomorrow!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Jaws 2 John Williams

I hear what Steven is saying. You could say it was also Jaws put through a "Superman/1941" filter.
    "JAWS 2[/b], shite film. BRILLIANT music" unlike the original JAWS which was a brilliant film with BRILLIANT music!!!

All this shark talk and I'm supposed to be diving tomorrow!

I remember those great pics you took of the dead whale being eaten cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In any case, it's Jaws put through some sort of filter rather than a direct continuation of the original 'feel' of the first score. I hasten to emphasise, again, this is an observation rather than a criticism, I LOVE both scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    In any case, it's Jaws put through some sort of filter rather than a direct continuation of the original 'feel' of the first score. I hasten to emphasise, again, this is an observation rather than a criticism, I LOVE both scores.

No need to explain, I was well aware of that beer

NP : nothing

But not for long.....just not sure what I want to play yet? I have the place to myself so I'll be playing whatever I play LOUDLY!!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

But not for long.....just not sure what I want to play yet? I have the place to myself so I'll be playing whatever I play LOUDLY!!! biggrin

You could say anything goes at this point...? *hint hint* biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not a bad idea!? I played it to Mel the other day and she thought it was brilliant though she was a bit > shocked < to find out it was an Indy score wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not a bad idea!? I played it to Mel the other day and she thought it was brilliant though she was a bit > shocked < to find out it was an Indy score wink

Free house? Excuse to play stuff loud? Tyler's Eagle Eye is your answer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

But unlike us, Timmer has standards.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

But unlike us, Timmer has standards.

No Eagle Eye in my house!

NP : LARGO WINCH - Alexandre Desplat

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (20th Anniversary Edition) - John Williams

Excellent score, probably one of the best ever written! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote

Hard to disagree with that beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote

Hard to disagree with that beer

Yeah, I hadn't heard it for a while; as of late I have been collecting more recent scores, and had forgotten until now how much I love this one. Amazing music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie - Kurt Heinecke

Absolutely disgusting. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What?
    WHAT?
    WHAT?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Martijn wrote
    What?
    WHAT?
    WHAT?

It's my little brother's recording; don't worry. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

One of my favorites from this past year (probably simply for the reason that I'm a huge Star Wars fan).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Brixton Hot Dog - Aaron Wilkinson

Gorgeous guitar solos, but the album's a bit on the long side.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2009 edited
    Apollo 13 (James Horner)

One of my favs from Horner. Simply superb themes and full of the Hornerisms I love. "All Systems Go - The Launch", "Re-Entry & Splashdown" and "End Credits" are three of my most beloved Horner cues ever.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2009
    Marselus wrote
    Apollo 13 (James Horner)

One of my favs from Horner. Simply superb themes and full of the Hornerisms I love. "All Systems Go - The Launch", "Re-Entry & Splashdown" and "End Credits" are three of my most beloved Horner cues ever.

Of of my favourites too.

I love specially the dark moments, like "the dark side of the moon" or "Docking alarm".

NP:Lost (the Videogame)

More lost!

Is the whole score by Giacchino? is performed by Hollywood Symphoni orchestra?
  2. Jordi, what the hell is Docking Alarm? lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Howard Shore

Good, strong score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

No Eagle Eye in my house!