• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Never mind, someone already said it...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009
  2. Ah, but it was Pawel!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Actually, the first composer to use the four-note motif might have been Rachmaninov

Pray tell, where?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I don't remember, really. Wasn't it 2nd Symphony?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just read over at FSM that film composer ANGELA MORLEY has died sad

I'm only familiar with one score of hers and that's WATERSHIP DOWN, IMO one of the very best animation scores ever written.

Morley also did uncredited orchestrations for John Williams including Star Wars and Schindler's List.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ah, but it was Pawel!

I agreed with him though, if memory serves.
  4. Yes, you did. smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Actually, the first composer to use the four-note motif might have been Rachmaninov

Ah doesn't matter anymore. It's still annoying! tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Ah doesn't matter anymore. It's still annoying! tongue

-Erik-

Debney doesn't use it excessively in Lair so I'm fine with it. It's a cool 4 note motif when played on some decent sounding instruments...although it does always remind me of Zorro. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: "Kisses And Cake" from P.S. I Love You - John Powell

I clearly heard this score in my dream about Zimmer's concert this morning... dizzy

Nice pleasant score, anyway. I hope I can get the score album someday.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote

I clearly heard this score in my dream about Zimmer's concert this morning... dizzy

shocked

Wow.
    Another member who dreams film music.

I've never had that.
    Maybe I'm not a proper fan and should switch to black metal. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

I like this, I really do, but it's the first Desplat score which I feel is just a little too clinical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

I like this, I really do, but it's the first Desplat score which I feel is just a little too clinical.

Yep, that's the only major problem I have with it. It needs to loosen up and and let its hair down... but it never quite does.
  5. Southall wrote

play this in a concert and I'll be sleeping the entire time
    no matter how brilliant it will actually be in the movie
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

That's part of the reason it appeals to me. It's relaxing. It's nice to have on in the background as well as giving it your attention. Scores like Horner's Iris and The Spitfire Grill, or my personal favourite relaxing score, Williams' Stepmom. Good stuff.
  6. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

That's part of the reason it appeals to me. It's relaxing. It's nice to have on in the background as well as giving it your attention. Scores like Horner's Iris and The Spitfire Grill, or my personal favourite relaxing score, Williams' Stepmom. Good stuff.

Then I like Horner's The Spitfire Grill and Williams' Stepmom a lot more, perhaps it is just their style
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well yeah, they're both very different scores to Desplat's. But they share that vital similarity of being able to relax me... cool
  7. Southall wrote

Bah... go and listen to THE BOY IN STRIPED PYJAMAS if you want those buttons pushed. wink
    (I do think the BUTTON album is a bit longer than it needed to be though.)

NP: Live at Monterey! (Don Ellis and his Orchestra)

Magnificent jazz live performance. Not a film score, but it's playing now, and might not be by the time I get to the other thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Miya wrote

shocked

Wow.
    Another member who dreams film music.

I've never had that.
    Maybe I'm not a proper fan and should switch to black metal. sad

I sometimes do. Once I heard Rupert Gregson-Williams' Bee Movie in a dream. But today's one is the weirdest, ever.

I've also had some dreams not so weird. Sometimes I bought rare soundtracks at low prices in dreams... biggrin

NP: Eight Below - Mark Isham

Almost Perfect! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya, do you ever listen to anything a little more... hmm... hardcore? Something like Aliens? (Not a criticism by the way, just a general observation. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Escape From L.A. (Extended Score) - Shirley Walker & John Carpenter

I've always been a Carpenter nut and with this OST he shares composition chores
    with the brilliant Shirley Walker . From the start , she puts her cool mark on the "Escape From New York" theme . Highlights on this album though are the action pieces performed by both herself on synthesizers and herself conducting the orchestra . 'Submarine Launch' is electronically fantastic , 'Escape From Happy Kingdom' and 'Crash Landing' are both awesome orchestra pieces .
    A must have in my book ...

Shirley Walker has been taken away from us far too early ... sad
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote
    Miya, do you ever listen to anything a little more... hmm... hardcore? Something like Aliens? (Not a criticism by the way, just a general observation. wink)

Haha, that's true. biggrin I usually don't listen to hardcore, or action stuff, so far.

It's not because I don't like those kind of scores, though. Actually I want to expand my listening experience (that's why I joined here!)

But I haven't seen so many kind of films yet. I wasn't a "film goer" until recently, so I only knew about animated films and kiddie films I saw as a child (Homeward Bound, Hook, etc.).

I started to watch more movies 2 or 3 years ago, but still I'm staying around dramas and comedy/dramas (Shawshank Redemption or Spanglish, for example). Now I'm more interested in darker films, but I still need more time to watch them, and explore their scores.

The biggest problem is, I have no TV in my flat now... so I have to go to the rental store/theaters and pay to see more films. slant

And now I'm listening to nothing hardcore at all...

NP: The Lion King II: Simba's Pride - tons of unknown songwriters
    I must admit I like these songs shame tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009 edited
    NP: Reign Of Fire - Edward Shearmur

This score certainly doesn't take any bullshit. Hardcore enough for ya?

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

cool

Amazing! Playing it now punk punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I know, I can hear it. dizzy slant shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've got Homeward Bound : The Incredible Jouney on TV in the background just so I can listen to Bruce Broughton's score which sounds very enjoyable...except for the cloying schmaltzy bits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote

cool

Absofrigginlutely. THAT is one of the best 'hardcore' scores I've ever heard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    REIGN OF FIRE gets the big thumbs from me too thumbs