• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    So Voy-Chair? confused

Isn't that the Polish pronunciation of Voyager? alien
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    OK, just call him Wojtek, that's pronounced Voyteck bunny

Thanks Pawel smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Missing -James Horner

I was never a fan of this score... I liked the main theme... but I felt that the score really dragged on and on and on. Upon my return to the score I still have the same problems with it. Now, I adore the main theme... great dramatic use of it in "The Brunjo's Storm / A Loss of Innocence" Very powerful stuff. There are also a few cues during the latter half of the album that really deliver... "Rescue and Breakout" and another patented marathon cue "The Long Ride Home" to end the album... but for this film music fan this all comes far too late in the game. Can't say I'll be return to this any time soon.

Up Next: Disc 1 of Bill Conti's mammoth, magnificent and highly underrated North and South. I've been whistling the main theme all morning!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: August Rush - Mark Mancina

A troublingly odd mix, which seemingly is all over the place in style and content.
    Quite amateursh-sounding and not very enjoyable at all. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: August Rush - Mark Mancina

A troublingly odd mix, which seemingly is all over the place in style and content.
    Quite amateursh-sounding and not very enjoyable at all. sad

....and the bad?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The bad is ugly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Magadascar 2 Scape to Africa

I can't resist to listen the new versions of the addictive and infectious "zooster's theme".

"Once upon a Time in Africa" and "foofie" are really great. With this tender Zimmer tune, wich remains me The Lion King.

"rescue me" and " Alex on Spot" are guilty pleasure too.

I will play later: Kung Fu Panda (Zimmer and Powell)

IMHO a masterpiece.

My two favourite composers , in a fantastic mix of his styles.

Action, adventure, crazyness, epic, tender...Traditional Chine orchestrations with a big Hollywood orchestra.

Well edited, a great realease, A great cover.

OK, the themes are not so memorable like it coudl be, but who cares!!!!

PS: I love the "across the stars" moment in "oogway ascends" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: In Bruges - Carter Burwell

Even though the score is depending a lot on just one (relatively simple) theme, it's still an interesting listen: it's moody and quite bleak, helped enormously by its captivating instrumentation (not sure why, but those growling double basses really get my attention).

Not one for the ages, but definitely interesting enough for a couple of listens more.
  1. Hi Friends! I know I've been away a long, long time. Or at least it feels like it. I've missed you all. I hope to get caught up in no time! Hope everyone is doing great!

NP: Practical Magic - Alan Silvestri

A favorite movie and favorite score, which I'm trying to learn to play on the piano. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: North and South - Bill Conti

Yeah... that basically cements it. The North and South Main Theme is hands down one of the finest pieces of music ever produced. The sweeping strings and those soaring french horns near the end of the piece are absolutely splendid. Conti, IMHO, was one of the best at writing for brass and horns. And when the theme is performed on the oboe in "The Kerchief" only to have the the celli take it over will melt anyone's heart. The variations the theme goes through are brilliant!

The rest of the album (4 CD's) is a bit much for one complete stand alone listen which is why I'm listening to only Disc 1 today and will return to the other 3 Discs in the next week or so. Oh ya, I forgot, there are three more discs on the Book II release. shocked Holy jumpin'!

Anyway, when talking about some of the best TV scores of all time this one is near the top!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    CAILIIIIIIIIiiiiiinnnn!

fireworks wave fireworks

kiss Welcome back! kiss
    Long time no see.
    Any particular reason you were away so long?
    wave
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Missing -James Horner

I was never a fan of this score... I liked the main theme... but I felt that the score really dragged on and on and on. Upon my return to the score I still have the same problems with it. Now, I adore the main theme... great dramatic use of it in "The Brunjo's Storm / A Loss of Innocence" Very powerful stuff. There are also a few cues during the latter half of the album that really deliver... "Rescue and Breakout" and another patented marathon cue "The Long Ride Home" to end the album... but for this film music fan this all comes far too late in the game. Can't say I'll be return to this any time soon.

Up Next: Disc 1 of Bill Conti's mammoth, magnificent and highly underrated North and South. I've been whistling the main theme all morning!

-Erik-

Exactly my thought with this album (The Missing), as I stated some time ago. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. And I'm a fan of Horner...

Les Misérables (Basil Poledouris)

A long time since I put this on. I remember not being a fan of it either, however my opinion of it has changed after all these years, because it's a thematic and highly dramatic score from a composer that made his name in the action / adventure genre. There's some beautiful stuff on here, which didn't click with me for some strange reason, but it's sure clicking now. Now I need some help with identifying the tracks in each of these suites, if anyone can help please refer to the Poledouris topic, so as not to stray too much of topic, yeah, like that never happens here... wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: 300 ~ Tyler Bates
    Really, really loud!!!
    I'm in the right city! What else can I say!?! punk
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Stavroula wrote
    Really, really loud!!!

Do yourself a favour and play Goldenthal's Titus instead and BURN that copy of 300.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Erik Woods wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Really, really loud!!!

Do yourself a favour and play Goldenthal's Titus instead and BURN that copy of 300.

-Erik-

Hon I know the whole story. I don't have Titus with me right now so 300 seems ok. Don't spoil it for me pleeeeaseeee. kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Stavroula wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Really, really loud!!!

-Erik-

Hon I know the whole story. I don't have Titus with me right now so 300 seems ok. Don't spoil it for me pleeeeaseeee. kiss

Well, do yourself a favour and go to your local record store and buy Titus NOW! Or at least order it on line. You'll never listen to 300 ever again!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Hi Friends! I know I've been away a long, long time. Or at least it feels like it. I've missed you all. I hope to get caught up in no time! Hope everyone is doing great!

A favorite movie and favorite score, which I'm trying to learn to play on the piano. smile

Good to see you back Cailin cool What have you been up to all this time?

NP : SPARTACUS - Alex North

I have to be in the right mood for North's style of complexity and today I am! This is a classic and excellent score with a love theme to die for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Seven Pounds (Angelo Milli)

Pretty fine score, with really well integrated synths and ambient design (very close to Cliff Martinez at some points). One of this scores that transports you and sets the tone of the movie perfectly. "Requiem" (although the inclusion of Horner´s danger motif is odd) is already a great cue of 2009.

Noticed the Martinez reference as well at an earlier post in this very thread. Quite enjoyable isn't it? Glad you liked it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Really, really loud!!!

-Erik-

Well, do yourself a favour and go to your local record store and buy Titus NOW! Or at least order it on line. You'll never listen to 300 ever again!

-Erik-

Word.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Hi Friends! I know I've been away a long, long time. Or at least it feels like it. I've missed you all. I hope to get caught up in no time! Hope everyone is doing great!

oh my god shocked shocked shocked that's John Ottman standing besides you shocked shocked shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote

oh my god shocked shocked shocked that's John Ottman standing besides you shocked shocked shocked

You didn't know Cailin was married to John Ottman....oh....uhmmm.....errrrrrrr
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

I have to be in the right mood for North's style of complexity and today I am! This is a classic and excellent score with a love theme to die for.

Now if ever a score needed a deluxe edition it's this one. That's my #1 soundtrack holy grail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: North and South - Bill Conti

Yeah... that basically cements it. The North and South Main Theme is hands down one of the finest pieces of music ever produced. The sweeping strings and those soaring french horns near the end of the piece are absolutely splendid. Conti, IMHO, was one of the best at writing for brass and horns. And when the theme is performed on the oboe in "The Kerchief" only to have the the celli take it over will melt anyone's heart. The variations the theme goes through are brilliant!

The rest of the album (4 CD's) is a bit much for one complete stand alone listen which is why I'm listening to only Disc 1 today and will return to the other 3 Discs in the next week or so. Oh ya, I forgot, there are three more discs on the Book II release. shocked Holy jumpin'!

Anyway, when talking about some of the best TV scores of all time this one is near the top!

-Erik-

Absolutely! One of my favourite things about this release (and presumably volume 2 - though I don't think I've even listened to it yet!) is that each disc makes a very nice standalone listening experience by itself, so there isn't the daunting prospect of listening to hours and hours of music which puts me off listening to most multi-CD soundtracks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Now if ever a score needed a deluxe edition it's this one. That's my #1 soundtrack holy grail.

Without a shadow of doubt beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Calling Tribute Film Classics... are you there Tribute Film Classics?! Bonn, Morgan, Stromberg... anybody?!

-Erik-
  4. At the risk of going off topic I'll mention that The Bourne Supremacy - John Powell is now playing. smile But I was gone so long because I started a nonprofit organization that publishes a magazine. The first issue launched on December 1st, so that was very exciting. But I had to figure out how to do all the legal stuff, create the corporation, file for tax-exempt status, etc. I won't go into details about the magazine here, but if your interested I just posted the link on my profile. smile I really have missed you guys though and getting my film score fix. Now that I'm kind of more in the swing of things and have a better idea of how to run a nonprofit and publish a magazine, I think I can manage a few breaks throughout that day to chat with you guys. Yay! Thanks for such a warm welcome back!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Calling Tribute Film Classics... are you there Tribute Film Classics?! Bonn, Morgan, Stromberg... anybody?!

-Erik-

I'm amazed they haven't already done it! I keep hoping that it's because they know someone is planning on bringing out the original tracks some time soon... but I'm sure there's another much more sensible explanation!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Jurassic Park - John Williams

Vintage Williams ! punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. Hey, I'm listening to vintage Williams too! smile

NP: Born on the Fourth of July - John Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Filmscoregirl wrote