• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009
    Eric wrote
    but I know the guys here have missed you a lot ... smile

The guys around here get a tiny sniff of estrogen and they go crazy! dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    LOL biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

I've been on a journey with this score, having listened to it an awful lot in recent weeks. Loved it at first, then I started having one or two doubts; fortunately the doubts have been erased and I'm back to loving it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Seven Pounds (Angelo Milli)

Pretty fine score, with really well integrated synths and ambient design (very close to Cliff Martinez at some points). One of this scores that transports you and sets the tone of the movie perfectly. "Requiem" (although the inclusion of Horner´s danger motif is odd) is already a great cue of 2009.

Noticed the Martinez reference as well at an earlier post in this very thread. Quite enjoyable isn't it? Glad you liked it.

Indeed. One of those nice surprises that happen through the year, I mean an unknown composer writing good music when you didn´t expect it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. In the film, there's no substance to the Seven Pounds score. Apart from the Morricone cue (which is used twice), nothing really stands out.

NP: A collection of themes from Philippe Rombi scores

This guy can sure write a theme.

As for The Missing, what can I say? I think Horner has rarely done that particular type of score, the epic adventure*, better. I like it more than Braveheart, something which will no doubt cause scandal in the high heavens. (Hey, I'd get no reaction if I said I liked it more than Troy. biggrin )

* Note: Legends of the Fall is not an epic adventure. For all the magnificence of its score, Ed Zwick's film is epic tosh without a hint of adventure.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How dare you differ with the opinion of the majority! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    As for The Missing, what can I say? I think Horner has rarely done that particular type of score, the epic adventure*, better. I like it more than Braveheart, something which will no doubt cause scandal in the high heavens. (Hey, I'd get no reaction if I said I liked it more than Troy. biggrin )

* Note: Legends of the Fall is not an epic adventure. For all the magnificence of its score, Ed Zwick's film is epic tosh without a hint of adventure.

It's not terrible but there are so many cues of nothingness that don't keep my attention where as in Braveheart and Legends of the Fall there is always something to hold onto... one great cue after another after another.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Steven wrote
    How dare you differ with the opinion of the majority! shocked

I have one friend, and he's all I need.

And his name begins with J.

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/missingcd.htm

Erik and I have a history of disagreeing about what constitutes 'nothing going on' in a cue. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I fully intend to listen to The Missing later on, to find out if I stand alongside Erik (which my recollection of how I enjoy the album suggests I might) or Michael (which my recent experience of the score in the film suggests I might).

NP: Gold - Elmer Bernstein

Brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

I've been on a journey with this score, having listened to it an awful lot in recent weeks. Loved it at first, then I started having one or two doubts; fortunately the doubts have been erased and I'm back to loving it!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

sleep

Desplat is becoming really fast the new Thomas Newman.

NP: Medicine Man (Goldsmith)

Goldsmith probably thought Ethnic people was funny, because when he wrotte ethnic or south american music always composed catchy themes. dizzy

Anyway, Medicine Man has a gorgeous romantic theme, and it's great when I want to go to the Amazon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

It's not terrible but there are so many cues of nothingness that don't keep my attention where as in Braveheart and Legends of the Fall there is always something to hold onto... one great cue after another after another.

-Erik-

I'm in the middle.

There are a lot of great cues, a great theme (I mean the heroic one) and some interesting soundscape (percusions, and Navajo "sampled" stuff)

But It has a lot of music where Nothing Happens.

About the plagierisms, well, it's not Horner's worst score in this terms. In fact, it's pretty original when A beautiful mind or Braveheaet is not in there.

I prefer Beyond Borders and Four Feathers over the Missing , but not Radio tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    NP: August Rush - Mark Mancina

A troublingly odd mix, which seemingly is all over the place in style and content.
    Quite amateursh-sounding and not very enjoyable at all. sad

I didn't dislike it, but it's rather incoherent. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

sleep

With opinions like that, you just know he's the lovable oaf of the forum! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

sleep

Thank God there's someone out there who might turn out to be as good as Newman. For a couple of years, I was losing hope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: August Rush - Mark Mancina

A troublingly odd mix, which seemingly is all over the place in style and content.
    Quite amateursh-sounding and not very enjoyable at all. sad

I didn't dislike it, but it's rather incoherent. dizzy

Didn't understand what's the big deal either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

I'm in the middle.

There are a lot of great cues, a great theme (I mean the heroic one) and some interesting soundscape (percusions, and Navajo "sampled" stuff)

But It has a lot of music where Nothing Happens.

About the plagierisms, well, it's not Horner's worst score in this terms. In fact, it's pretty original when A beautiful mind or Braveheaet is not in there.

I prefer Beyond Borders and Four Feathers over the Missing , but not Radio tongue

I agree there's some cues that are a bit dead there. (This is the crime of the modern Horner score - not produced to show off the highlights.) But 70% that is very strong keeps me coming back to it more than some 100% albums of his. That is why, of course, they have those little check-boxes on iTunes, isn't it? wink

NP: The Missing (Horner)

All this talk got me listening to it again. I much check out BB & FF again sometime soon as well. I remember liking them both on release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote

All this talk got me listening to it again. I much check out BB & FF again sometime soon as well. I remember liking them both on release.

I thought about this for a while and then worked out what you meant! BB is one of my favourite recent albums. I watched the film, which wasn't that bad - music is by far its best feature though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Hi Friends! I know I've been away a long, long time. Or at least it feels like it. I've missed you all. I hope to get caught up in no time! Hope everyone is doing great!

NP: Practical Magic - Alan Silvestri

A favorite movie and favorite score, which I'm trying to learn to play on the piano. smile

Good to see you back Cailin cool What have you been up to all this time?

NP : SPARTACUS - Alex North

I have to be in the right mood for North's style of complexity and today I am! This is a classic and excellent score with a love theme to die for.

Just played SPARTACUS again, man what a score, great themes and orchestrations with meat on the bones! Makes the like of Gladiator seem trite and shallow in comparison.

Anyway, I'm still having a taste for challenging scores right now so it's on to....

NP : LA GUERRE DU FEU - Philippe Sarde

BRILLIANT! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP : The Charge Of The Light Brigade - Max Steiner

This has its challenging moments but man, what a score!!! cool cool cool cool

Another brilliant release from Tribute!
  4. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

All this talk got me listening to it again. I much check our BB & FF agaim soemtime soon as well. I demember liking them all on release.

I thought about this for a while and then worked out what you meant! BB is one of my favourite recent albums. I watched the film, which wasn't that bad - music is by far its best feature though.

Admittedl,y I could have flubbed that a little more. (And in fact, I've made some changes in the quotations just to add to the difficulty of interpretation.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    NP: ENIGMA | john barry

A bit monotonous sometimes, but the Barry sound all over it. It's a dark and quite depressing score, with a more uplifting main theme (well, in the first half). Was this his last score then?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote

A bit monotonous sometimes, but the Barry sound all over it. It's a dark and quite depressing score, with a more uplifting main theme (well, in the first half). Was this his last score then?

Yes. Not the best way to go out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah. It kinda sucks.

THE CLAIM | mychael nyman

The dark and depressive mood continues, but this is a stronger score.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

Yes, not the best way to bow out though lets not count our chickens yet as you never know, there might be another film score ( I'm not holding my breath ). Are you familiar with his non-film score albums THE BEYONDNESS OF THINGS or ETERNAL ECHOES Bregt? Both are fantastic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009 edited
    Dark and depressive mood... it seems that is universal!
    NP: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    The different music styles make it a very interesting listening and definately one of the best in the films so far. A Window to the Past and Buckbeak's Flight are pure gems!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Abandon - Clint Mansell

Gorgeous main theme...and loads of dark and oppressive electronic mood stuffs following it.
    Not bad, but certainly wears out its welcome.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MUSIC FOR A DARKENED THEATER - Danny Elfman

Lots of bite sized Elfman, just perfect for me. I love the obscure gems on this album too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MUSIC FOR A DARKENED THEATER - Danny Elfman

Lots of bite sized Elfman, just perfect for me. I love the obscure gems on this album too.

Both Music For Darkened Theatre albums are magnificent.

-Erik-
  5. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Hi Friends! I know I've been away a long, long time. Or at least it feels like it. I've missed you all. I hope to get caught up in no time! Hope everyone is doing great!

NP: Practical Magic - Alan Silvestri

A favorite movie and favorite score, which I'm trying to learn to play on the piano. smile

oh my god shocked shocked shocked that's John Ottman standing besides you shocked shocked shocked

You didn't know Cailin was married to John Ottman....oh....uhmmm.....errrrrrrr

really? No I honestly had no idea shame

sorry shame

anyway, now I know smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. NP: The Cat O Nine Tails (Ennio Morricone)

Another one of his weirder albums, not really enticing stuff dizzy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh