• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    mirdle wrote
    Bregt wrote
    NP: ENIGMA | john barry

A bit monotonous sometimes, but the Barry sound all over it. It's a dark and quite depressing score, with a more uplifting main theme (well, in the first half). Was this his last score then?

I really like this score. One of my most oft-played Barry's. Maybe it's because I liked the movie too.

Good for you Mirdle. As a massive Barry fan I would put Enigma very low down the ranks of the composers work but hot damn it's still a fine listen. Even on an off day Barry is wayyyyyy beyond the majority of 'so called' composers working now.

Now this IS a Barry masterpiece....

NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

I just love Barry's unique choral writing, it has the touch of genius about it and unlike most film composers doesn't sound like it's been "ripped" from somewhere in the classical reportoire.

Silvas excellent re-recording is one of their best but I'd still love to see a release of the original one day...if it's even possible?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    No probs Steven, I have a lot of CDR's where I can't remember who sent me them, you can take that as a compliment that I remembered beer

As for the film, I've not seen it and I have no intention to.

Sending CDRs is soooo old school! I'd be surprised if anyone still does that?

(Regarding the film, it's entertaining enough if you happen to catch it on TV one drunken night. That's about it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009
    Timmer wrote

I just love Barry's unique choral writing, it has the touch of genius about it and unlike most film composers doesn't sound like it's been "ripped" from somewhere in the classical reportoire.

Silvas excellent re-recording is one of their best but I'd still love to see a release of the original one day...if it's even possible?

Walkabout is one of my top 5 Barry scores! (Yes. Shock horror, Steven actually has a top 5 list of Barry scores. Just don't ask for a Morricone one.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Walkabout is one of my top 5 Barry scores! (Yes. Shock horror, Steven actually has a top 5 list of Barry scores. Just don't ask for a Morricone one.)

Good for you beer

Still listening to it right now and it still sounds so refreshing considering most of the generic crap I hear masquerading as film music now.

p.s. The film is superb, quite an experience, check it out next time it's on if you haven't already!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    No probs Steven, I have a lot of CDR's where I can't remember who sent me them, you can take that as a compliment that I remembered beer

(Regarding the film, it's entertaining enough if you happen to catch it on TV one drunken night. That's about it.)

"sending CDRs is soooo old school"

What? Like film composers still putting pencil to paper and even *shock! Horror!* conducting their own music!? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ANGELS IN AMERICA - Thomas Newman

Brilliant, fantastic, superb!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

"sending CDRs is soooo old school"

What? Like film composers still putting pencil to paper and even *shock! Horror!* conducting their own music!? wink

Two very different things. Some composers just prefer to work that way and feel more at ease with pen and paper. Sending a CDR these days is very much pointless unless of course you've spend a lot of effort in making the artwork yourself and presenting it as a gift. Which is all very nice, but not very appealing to collectors like ourselves.

Particularly if you send an audio CD made from MP3s. If the person then goes to rip those files onto their computer, they'll have a greatly reduced quality from the original since they'll be compressing already-compressed files yet at the same time taking up an equal (if not more) amount of space. A data disc makes a little bit more sense, but if you're gonna do that, why not just cut out the middle man and use RapidShare? It's free, much faster and you retain the original quality!

Point being, if there IS anyone who still sends CDRs without taking all of this into account... well... they really should. The old composers using pen and paper idiom is a bit misleading. wink (I'm assuming you know this already, fret not.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think you know me enough by now to know when I'm having a jest beer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh I know. But I like to think my destiny in life is to save people from bad ideas. Sending CDRs through the post is, in most cases, one of them! biggrin
  1. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    "La bergere et le ramoneur" - Le Roi et l'Oiseau - Wojciech Kilar

This is a very good cue. I'm just recently starting to buy Kilar's scores and I've really enjoyed much of the music. Can anyone give me a clue as to how to say his name?

Woy-check Kee-lar? ( Pawel?? )

What Kilar scores do you have?

I know it's been a while since you asked, but I can't frequent this forum as much as most. Master's degrees and family being the major reasons. Anyway, I have a compilation by Naxos that has some of Dracula and some others, I have Portrait of a Lady, Pan Tadeuz, and Le Roi et l'Oiseau. That's it, so far. Portrait of a Lady has been my favorite so far. I really liked something of his from the Truman Show score. I think it was from a concert work or something. I've thought about looking into his non film music. Any suggestions?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    "La bergere et le ramoneur" - Le Roi et l'Oiseau - Wojciech Kilar

This is a very good cue. I'm just recently starting to buy Kilar's scores and I've really enjoyed much of the music. Can anyone give me a clue as to how to say his name?

Woy-check Kee-lar? ( Pawel?? )

What Kilar scores do you have?

I know it's been a while since you asked, but I can't frequent this forum as much as most. Master's degrees and family being the major reasons. Anyway, I have a compilation by Naxos that has some of Dracula and some others, I have Portrait of a Lady, Pan Tadeuz, and Le Roi et l'Oiseau. That's it, so far. Portrait of a Lady has been my favorite so far. I really liked something of his from the Truman Show score. I think it was from a concert work or something. I've thought about looking into his non film music. Any suggestions?

Oh definitely! His concert works are superb and very accessable, get the two CD's of his concert works released by NAXOS which includes his fantastic EXODUS, piano concertos and more, all are absolutely superb.

Film score wise I see you didn't mention The Ninth Gate, a superb score though I don't know if it's still readily available?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

Why not? Still the weakest Zemeckis/Silvestri score but I really play it to listen to Dennis Sands' fooking awesome recording!!! And that "The Seduction" cue is splendid!

-Erik-

Who said "not" ? That score is friggin' amazing! Wish we actually got more like that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    mirdle wrote
    Bregt wrote
    NP: ENIGMA | john barry

A bit monotonous sometimes, but the Barry sound all over it. It's a dark and quite depressing score, with a more uplifting main theme (well, in the first half). Was this his last score then?

I really like this score. One of my most oft-played Barry's. Maybe it's because I liked the movie too.

I like it too. Hypnotic, but definitely Barry. The main theme is quite strong as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Et Après (Afterwards) - Alexandre Desplat

First listen... first track... is it just me or it the theme a bastardized version of John Williams' Monica's Theme from A.I.?! uhm

It's a lot closer to 'Wong Chia Chi's' theme from LUST, CAUTION. Same rhythm, same orchestration, even a couple of intervals in the opening phrase.

Spot-on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Augh! I had to turn off Et Après (Afterwards). A slow moving snore fest. I don't see the appeal of Desplat at all. He has talent... no doubt about that... but I'm just left absolutely dumbfounded how anyone can stay awake listening to something like this.

I kind of agree there. I mean I can hear the man has bucket loads of talent, and he's got something pretty special going on... but most of his scores really end up being 'background' music for me. His score to Largo Winch, as addictive as those themes are, lacks the energy that a score like that I think should have. I have much more fun with a score like Bolt. THAT has energy!

I'd say that they have different kinds of energy as a score like Bolt couldn't be any more far away from Largo Winch, as it's also the case between the two composers. Maybe the energy of something in the vein of Bolt and generally stemming from someone like John Powell echoes much stronger to your own musical tastes, upbringing, musical data; but that alone doesn't make him a better composer than Desplat, imo. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Why not? Still the weakest Zemeckis/Silvestri score but I really play it to listen to Dennis Sands' fooking awesome recording!!! And that "The Seduction" cue is splendid!

-Erik-

Who said "not" ? That score is friggin' amazing! Wish we actually got more like that.

I totally agree, one of Silvestri's bests!

NP: IRIS - James Horner: I have mixed feelings about this score - on the one hand it is a very relaxing, pleasant listen, on the other hand I'm longing for a memorable theme throughout the whole listen but unfortunately it never comes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I said not. I'm really not a fan of it. Guilty pleasure maybe because of just how ridiculously over the top it is and for Dennis Sands' awesome recording but I've heard Silvestri do this type of score millions of times before and way better than this as well. I just don't think it's as inspired as other scores Silvestri has written for Zemeckis.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Brother Bear (complete score + songs) - Mark Mancina & Phil Collins

Watched this film again yesterday. Not perfect, but still a great film for me.

The score is not perfect too, it could be better, but has several great cues.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Last Starfighter - Craig Safan

Not sure if you could get away with a film of this sort these days. Same said with the score. Why? Because they are so full of heart and while it's a special effects film the story and it's characters take centre stage. This is also one of those quintessential 80's films. Absolutely magical, innocent and inventive. The score, while surely inspired by Star Wars, soars along giving the film it's own distinct sound and voice. What I love about the score is that the main theme is so versatile. Heroic, tragic, and romantic. Along with Son Of The Morning Star, The Last Starfighter is Craig Safan at the top of his game! Highly recommended... if you can find it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I agree to every word you just said.

When I thought about Star Wars clones yesterday, The Last Starfighter came to my mind as one of the possible candidates, but if it is anything at all, it is one of the better clones.

That farewell rendering of the main theme is just breathtaking.

Just by coincidence, I watched that movie not so long ago with my daughter, and she really loved it (as much as I did those twenty+ years ago).

Kunzel´s version is fantastic as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Last Valley - John Barry

shocked
    This is good! Unmistakably Barry, but full-bodied, robust, energetic, exciting. Menacing and overpowering with some powerful Wagnerian overtones (the German lyrics to the battle song may help in that respect wink ).
    I love it! Really excellent and a mark of a true musical master.
    So much going on. SO much to retan full interest.
    Outstanding!

This actually marks only the second non-Bond Barry I love... shame dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

The Last Valley is indeed solid! What's the other non-Bond? Dances With Wolves? The Lion in Winter? The Black Hole? Somewhere in Time? Body Heat? Raise The Titanic? Zulu? Walkabout? I mean, seriously man... only two non-Bond?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

shocked
    This is good! Unmistakably Barry, but full-bodied, robust, energetic, exciting. Menacing and overpowering with some powerful Wagnerian overtones (the German lyrics to the battle song may help in that respect wink ).
    I love it! Really excellent and a mark of a true musical master.
    So much going on. SO much to retan full interest.
    Outstanding!

The Silva or the original Martijn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    seriously man... only two non-Bond?

Seriously, man. Only two non-Bond.
    The other one is The Scarlet Letter.

Timmer wrote

It's the Silva one. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Timmer wrote

It's the Silva one. cool

beer

It doesn't quite have the "beef" of the original but due to the recording and the extra music it's the one I play most often. cool I think if the film had done better this score would be deemed a classic ( which it is by film score enthusiasts ), the film itself is very good if you get the chance to see it, Michael Caine considers it a personal favourite amongst his own films.

p.s. I thought you liked Mary Queen of Scots?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Land Of The Tiger - Nicholas Hooper

A very fine BBC nature documentary score (aren't they all?) with some lovely Eastern influences. Has anyone else here heard it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

shame

You're right. I do.

shame

I actually forgot about that one as a separate score as I only have it bundled together on one CD with Delerue's Anne Of The Thousand Days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    LSH wrote

A very fine BBC nature documentary score (aren't they all?) with some lovely Eastern influences. Has anyone else here heard it?

Lovely work.
    Not quite as fine as Michael Brooks similar-themed Kingdom Of The Tiger, but still a very nice listen indeed, and my favourite Hooper so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Martijn wrote
    LSH wrote

Lovely work.
    Not quite as fine as Michael Brooks similar-themed Kingdom Of The Tiger, but still a very nice listen indeed, and my favourite Hooper so far!

Thanks, I'll check it out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Timmer wrote

It's the Silva one. cool

beer

It doesn't quite have the "beef" of the original but due to the recording and the extra music it's the one I play most often. cool I think if the film had done better this score would be deemed a classic ( which it is by film score enthusiasts ), the film itself is very good if you get the chance to see it, Michael Caine considers it a personal favourite amongst his own films.

It doesn't take much to influence me when it comes to Barry....

NP : THE LAST VALLEY - John Barry

Sublime cool