• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009
    NP: The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

One of his very best IMO. A lovely soothing and reflective musical experience indeed.
  1. I love that score. (And yes, I'm afraid this particular male has to say, I have a weakness for the film too!)

NP: Afterwards (Desplat)

It's the texture that always gets me with Desplat. I love the sound of his scores, even when they're hovering in a space of non-committal.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I love his sound as well; i have to admit that i've been completely taken by his music during the last years, with very few exceptions. The term "non-committal" is very spot-on i agree, but i'd never go with the other characterization some want to attribute to his music, i.e. being "clinical". Yes, he can be vague and he can be austere but his music is constantly organic, theme-driven and melodic-centered; even his suspense cues have clear-cut rhythmomelodic bonding elements and when he decides to go full head-on via the prominent main themes of each score, the results are most of the times outstandingly heartfelt. "Afterwards" is a continuation of the rule, a mature and complex work with a level easily above the general output of the others.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. NP: Milk (Elfman)

A strong score, mixing up some very disparate ideas. Two elements didn't quite work for me... (i) the saxophone soli seem a little 'cute'. As a colour, they're perfect, but the melodies and the way they're mixed in feel a little cliche; (ii) Harvey's theme... well, we can say something about him from this theme, he was a true American. Was there no more personal angle to take than that? Compared to the intimacy of Iglesias's theme for Che Guevara, and this theme sounds like John Williams wrote it for a John Quincy Adams speech in Amistad. (And no, that's not such a good thing.)
  3. NP: The Thin Red Line (Zimmer) - relatively complete

It's a bad rear channel rip from the DVD, but even at sound quality that shouldn't be (and isn't) legal, there are cues here not on the album that move me to tears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Thin Red Line (Zimmer) - relatively complete

It's a bad rear channel rip from the DVD, but even at sound quality that shouldn't be (and isn't) legal, there are cues here not on the album that move me to tears.

Indeed. There´s a cue by the end of the movie (called "A Man Himself can be Great" in the DVD rip) that is only a minute long but is really beautiful.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Milk (Elfman)

A strong score, mixing up some very disparate ideas. Two elements didn't quite work for me... (i) the saxophone soli seem a little 'cute'. As a colour, they're perfect, but the melodies and the way they're mixed in feel a little cliche; (ii) Harvey's theme... well, we can say something about him from this theme, he was a true American. Was there no more personal angle to take than that? Compared to the intimacy of Iglesias's theme for Che Guevara, and this theme sounds like John Williams wrote it for a John Quincy Adams speech in Amistad. (And no, that's not such a good thing.)

I don't like it either; it's the most disjoint listening experience coming from a major score i've heard for a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wish I could write Amistad-like John Quincy Adams speech music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Milk (Elfman)

I see your point about the theme - it is rather facile - but on the album, I think it's really strong (stronger than any of the stuff in Amistad!) One of the things that really impresses me with the album is that, despite all the disparate ideas, it never actually makes a disjointed listen for me. Thomas Newman is the king of making very short cues feel so much a part of the bigger whole that you never quite notice, and I think Elfman made a very good stab at doing that here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I wish I could write Amistad-like John Quincy Adams speech music.

I'm sure Justin will give it a go.
  4. Don't get me wrong, I still think MILK is strong, but there's something a bit easy about that main theme.
    Anyway, I don't know.

NP: Alan Resnais: Portrait Musical (Various Artists)

Some of the composers represented here are not so famous now... Giovanni Fusco, Francis Seyrig, Michel Philippe-Gérard. Still, who but Resnais can claim to having worked with a list of composers this impressive over his career: Hans Eisler, Georges Delerue, Stephen Sondheim, Miklos Rozsa, Hans Werner Henze and (of all people) Krzystof Penderecki. And there's even a track from Mark Snow. Truly a distinguished career.

And yes, the music is great. If you're not into off-kilter waltzes, it may get the better of you, but it worked for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    El Cid - Rozsa

Soooo much to digest!

Love it! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    Don't get me wrong, I still think MILK is strong, but there's something a bit easy about that main theme.

And what exactly is wrong with that?

And come on, Amistad is great! tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009 edited
    I haven't listened to Amistad for a long time, but I do listen to that wonderful upbeat theme a lot! It makes me happy.
  5. Listen to some Copland biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Copland makes me happy too. (Boggan does not though.)
  6. A lot of Williams's Americana is strongly derivative of a Copland piece called Lincoln's Portrait.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    Steven wrote
    You don't give much away in your profile Matt ( nothing in fact ), what composers do you like?

I do like Goldsmith's work, yet a LOT of his action scores just don't do anything for me but his more dramatic work does. His Rambo and Star Trek scores (give me Horner or Eidelman any day) just leave me cold (heresy to you guys, I know). It's exceptions like The Mummy and The 13th Warrior that I enjoy.

Not heresy at all, to each their own I say. Still, who are your favourite composers Matt?

p.s. odd that my quote is attributed to Steven!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    J. Williams
    D. Wiseman
    A. Desplat
    J. McNeely
    J. Antonia Cornish
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What has Cornish done?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Island of the lost souls. Top work.
  7. And she's really nice too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anything else? I get the sense she hasn't done much. For example, I LOVE The Black Dahlia and Eight Below by Isham... but he's far from one of my favourite composers.

confused
  8. Bregt wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Don't get me wrong, I still think MILK is strong, but there's something a bit easy about that main theme.

And what exactly is wrong with that?

Nothing, from a certain perspective. And more than nothing, from my perspective. wink

And come on, Amistad is great! tongue

Watched the final courtroom scene of AMISTAD any time recently? tongue
  9. Steven wrote
    Anything else? I get the sense she hasn't done much. For example, I LOVE The Black Dahlia and Eight Below by Isham... but he's far from one of my favourite composers.

confused

Steven, I don't think you understand how rare it is for a film composer to actually be... BEAUTIFUL. wink

Think of the slack we'd be cutting Tyler Bates if he was a she, and she looked like Olga.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I cut slack for him as a male, let alone a female! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

confused

Steven, I don't think you understand how rare it is for a film composer to actually be... BEAUTIFUL. wink

Think of the slack we'd be cutting Tyler Bates if he was a she, and she looked like Olga.

Demetris talks about rare beauty all the time!
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Jane Eyre - first the Williams version, then the Vlad and Capponi one. Enjoyed them both - although the second one was new to me so I didn't know what to expect. Very pleasant way to start the morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: Clips from "De Wolfe's Music Library" (from the website)

Timmer may be the only one who really appreciates many of these clips but there's some great childhood memories conjured up by this selection.

Highlights include:

- "Left Bank Two" - Vision On - Wayne Hill (Track 1)
    - "Merry Occarina" - Vision On - Pierre Arvay (Track 3)
    - "Up To Date" - Man About The House - Johnny Hawksworth (Track 7)
    - "Rite De La Terre" - Time Slip - Edward Michael (Track 15)
    - "Distant Hills" - Crown Court - Simon Haseley (Track 20)

http://www.dewolfe.co.uk/musicsearch/cd … DEWEB%2001
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I cut slack for him as a male, let alone a female! biggrin

If ever a post begged for psychoanalysis, it's this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn