• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Star Trek 3 (Horner)

Agreed about 'Stealing the Enterprise'. (I do wish more of it was Horner's though. sad ) If you know 'Romeo and Juliet', it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Actually, I'm not but I'm listening to it right now on a best of album called The Best of Prokofiev released by Naxos. What should I be looking out for? I mean, I know about the opening 24 seconds or so of the cue which ISN'T in the film but are there any other Romeo and Juliet lifts?

-Erik-

It's only the opening 24 seconds. I've said it before, but I'm nothing if not repetitive - one of the most startling things about Horner's plagiarism is how he manages to make it sound as if it had always been there, if you know what I mean. You wouldn't guess that those opening 24 seconds weren't by James Horner.

Anyway, when Erik and Michael agree that a score's good, that's a virtual guarantee, so I listened to Star Trek III myself. How wonderful it is! "Stealing the Enterprise" (regardless of the stealing within the cue) is just brilliant film music, driving the scene along pretty much by itself. I rarely listen to this score - if I want Horner and Star Trek then The Wrath of Khan - one of my top-five favourite film scores - usually wins - but it's always worth a listen.
  1. "From the Earth to the Moon": Episode: 1968
    Michael Kamen

Nice little score. Shame he's no longer with us.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2009
    Are those scores "out there", then? I've long hoped for a nice double-CD of them.
  2. Some of them are. This one, well, I'm not sure; I thought I heard talking, but that could have been from Kamen or someone else, then I thought I heard a train, but Kamen uses a synth that sounds somewhat like a train, so it's hard to tell seven tracks in.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE THING - Ennio Morricone

It's snowing, there are large icicles hanging from the outside windows and I'm playing The Thing.

The cat is giving me a weird look.....

Good choice, Tim!

NP: Anonyma: Eine Frau In Berlin - Zbigniew Preisner

A very low-key effort this one - just what I'd expect from my previous experience of Preisner's music. Dominated predominantly by a small section of strings (members of the Cracow Philharmonic) and piano.

Up next (if I have time) - The Golden Seal - John Barry & Dana Kaproff
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - James Horner

IMHO, James Horner single handedly made slow moving spaceships leaving a space dock one of the most exciting and thrilling sequences in the entire Star Trek saga. There is no amount of fast editing or high tech special effects that will ever top the "Stealing The Enterprise" from this film and Giacchino has a daunting task if he is ever going to reach the heights and excitement that Horner delivered in his two Trek scores. I know Giacchino can do it but will JJ Abrams be able to deliver to him such awe inspiring scene as "The Enterprise" from The Motion Picture or "Stealing The Enterprise" from Trek III. We'll see...

-Erik-

Southall wrote
    Anyway, when Erik and Michael agree that a score's good, that's a virtual guarantee, so I listened to Star Trek III myself. How wonderful it is! "Stealing the Enterprise" (regardless of the stealing within the cue) is just brilliant film music, driving the scene along pretty much by itself. I rarely listen to this score - if I want Horner and Star Trek then The Wrath of Khan - one of my top-five favourite film scores - usually wins - but it's always worth a listen.

Damn well said Erik and James, though I love ST II, I've always preferred III for one sole reason: 'Stealing the Enterprise' is my all time favourite Horner action cue. Its incredible in the film, and it's every bit as exciting on CD. And I love the film as a result. But ST III features much more unreleased music in the film that just give me goosebumps (the countdown sequence and the destruction afterward for example). I'm still hoping the full score will see release one day. In the meantime I made myself a version with some sound effects. I'm that desperate to hear it in complete form. Easily a score I play at least 2-3 times a year!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: The Golden Seal (Barry & Kaproff)

Those who love Barry's long-lined, grand yet intimate themes will love what this score has to offer. My main quibble is that it has a tendency to reprise the main theme a bit too often, and while Kaproff fashions a good underscore incorporating Barry's themes, it's the solo tracks by Barry that stand out, such as the lovely "The Frolic" and "Goodbye."
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  4. NP: The Possibility of an Island (Nitschke)

Truly the kind of title for the film that could only come about by translation. The music, however, is impressive, with a range of moods from the epic to the intimate.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Played:

The Patriot by Williams : a score I have just discovered recently and despite the lukewarm reviews I love it! Melodic with great action sequences, really great music.

The Dark Knight by Zimmer and Newton Howard: I'm about to like this score - at least the last long track - thanks to a CD malfunction: there is a scratch or something on my CD that affects playing but not every time so I listened to the last track three times in a row and by now it has really grown on me.

Somewhere in Time by Barry: a gorgeous score by the English maestro - as usual.
  5. NP: The Home of the Dark Butterflies (Panu Aaltio)

Simply but lovely. The main theme is a good example of how moving a really simple idea can be.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Star Trek 3 (Horner)

Agreed about 'Stealing the Enterprise'. (I do wish more of it was Horner's though. sad ) If you know 'Romeo and Juliet', it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Actually, I'm not but I'm listening to it right now on a best of album called The Best of Prokofiev released by Naxos. What should I be looking out for? I mean, I know about the opening 24 seconds or so of the cue which ISN'T in the film but are there any other Romeo and Juliet lifts?

-Erik-

It's only the opening 24 seconds. I've said it before, but I'm nothing if not repetitive - one of the most startling things about Horner's plagiarism is how he manages to make it sound as if it had always been there, if you know what I mean. You wouldn't guess that those opening 24 seconds weren't by James Horner.

And let's not forget one more important thing regarding this track. It's as close as we'll ever get to a cue from "Krull 2". biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  6. By KRULL, let's not do this again, we've already KRULLED this a bit too far last time. It's getting a bit long in the KRULL, don't you agree??? shocked

Anyway, The Man Without a Face (James Horner)

Beautiful heartfelt themes, and an entertaining listen right to the end. For a 45 minute score this is just about as long as needed. Short and to the point, strong emotional Horner, I like it a lot.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KRUUULLLLLLLLLL!!!! punk

NP : LE DEMON DE HIMALAYA - Arthur Honegger

From Naxos Film Music Classics this is some fine sounding film music and sounds very fresh considering the works on this CD were written between 1934 - 37, superb use of the Ondes Martonet too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. NP: Milk by Danny Elfman

Extremely lovely score but oh so short in so many tracks, I find it hard to capture the development in them. Make them all 2 minutes or longer, and I feel Elfman could whip up a great climax to almost all the tracks.

Anyway, I understand the Oscar nomination, it really must work wonderfully well in the film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SOMEWHERE IN TIME - John Barry

A true classic cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES - Georges Delerue

As said elsewhere ( James I think? ) it would be great to see this rejected score released coupled with James Horner's score. Both are very worthy listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Np: the 13th Warrior (Goldsmith)

It doesn't have the highlights of The Mummy, or the vibrant action music of First Knight, But the 13th warrior is full of majestous and epic sense.

I love this male chorus with bells...really appropiate for the movie!

"exiled" and "semantics" are tremendous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2009 edited
    NP : Kingdom of Heaven - Harry Gregson-Williams

Harry at his epic-best, with a dashful helping of Horner and Goldsmith thrown in. The album is great with a range of diverse ethnic and orchestral and choral music mixed in. It treads in the same territory as Gladiator yet does its own thing. One of my favorite HGW score indeed.
  8. "La bergere et le ramoneur" - Le Roi et l'Oiseau - Wojciech Kilar

This is a very good cue. I'm just recently starting to buy Kilar's scores and I've really enjoyed much of the music. Can anyone give me a clue as to how to say his name?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009
    christopher wrote
    "La bergere et le ramoneur" - Le Roi et l'Oiseau - Wojciech Kilar

This is a very good cue. I'm just recently starting to buy Kilar's scores and I've really enjoyed much of the music. Can anyone give me a clue as to how to say his name?

Woy-check Kee-lar? ( Pawel?? )

What Kilar scores do you have?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think it's more like Voy-Check Kee-Lar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote

I believe you are correct master Steven.

I have a friend named Wojciech and it is indeed pronounced Voy-Check.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Where're you at True / False?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Bear McCreary

I like the soundscape Bear uses for this series.
    There's some nice tracks on this CD.
    Perhaps a tad long but enjoyable on the most part.
  9. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest by Jack Nitzsche
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
  10. Atham wrote
    Steven wrote

Voy-Czech, actually. with ch pronounced as "h" in help
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009 edited
    Seven Pounds (Angelo Milli)

Pretty fine score, with really well integrated synths and ambient design (very close to Cliff Martinez at some points). One of this scores that transports you and sets the tone of the movie perfectly. "Requiem" (although the inclusion of Horner´s danger motif is odd) is already a great cue of 2009.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote

Voy-Czech, actually. with ch pronounced as "h" in help

So Voy-Chair? confused
  11. OK, just call him Wojtek, that's pronounced Voyteck bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website