• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. No wonder he was dancing with the wolf -- white shocks. ZZZ!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Exactly ! cool

then, you are fired!!! angry

No problemo.

Next!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    Watched "Dances With Wolves" (for a third time). Good movie. I'd say there is about 10 to 15 minutes of score missing from the expanded score CD.

I love that film. Seems to have developed a lot of negative feeling - don't understand why. Have watched it many times and will watch it many more (barring premature death).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    The death of Two Socks always manages to bring me to tears of manliness. sad (At least that's what I tell myself.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I feel an order for 50 press ups coming on....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Haunting

Such a wonderful film to look at and listen to. A pity the script is awful. The masterful score is arguably the most underrated in Jerry Goldsmith's entire career.
  3. The Haunting is a guilty pleasure for me. The film is just about tolerable, thanks to the fantastic sets, spine-tingling score and brilliant sound design.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    Today I went seeing BOLT again, this time 3-D version, with Japanese dub.

I love this movie so much, as I said before, and it was still great even in Japanese.

The dub actors aren't bad at all, even though Bolt's voice is too serious, and Rhino lost a bit of his craziness (but probably nobody can't perform like Mark Walton biggrin ). The translation wasn't bad too, but it has one big flaw; they deleted "[spoiler]declawed cat[/spoiler]" words from the Mittens' line! I thought that's an important fact for this character... did they think it's too cruel for little kids or what? crazy

Another complaint. One of the reason why I went to see it again was to hear Powell's score in theater sound system, but... but the fantastic score suite was replaced by a mediocre Japanese song! crazy I thought Miley Cyrus song would be replaced... but not. Those stupid record labels should stop promoting their new singers in foreign movies. crazy

And as for 3-D version... well it looks cool in action scenes of BOLT TV show, or in Cars short movie "Tokyo Mator" (btw it wasn't funny at all when it's dubbed in Japanese dizzy ), and furs on animals look cute. But that's all. Sometimes bluring shapes distracted me. And I HATE those silly glasses, it kept trying to fall off from my nose rolleyes

I don't think it's worth paying the ridiculous fee of ¥2000 (about $20).
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lions for Lambs

This interesting film uses the war in Afghanistan to inspire thought about global politics. It's far from a great film, but certainly has some excellent aspects (the three main actors - Redford, Streep and even Cruise - are terrific) and one truly spectacular moment, which I was delighted to find coincided with my favourite piece of film music of recent times, Mark Isham's "Last Shift". An exceptionally powerful moment, perfect scorig.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    Vantage Point

Reasonably enjoyable, but not as clever as it thinks it is. It's rather silly and relies a bit too hard on improbable coincidence. The score seems better in the film than on the album, but is too obviously a Bourne wannabe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Vantage Point

Reasonably enjoyable, but not as clever as it thinks it is. It's rather silly and relies a bit too hard on improbable coincidence. The score seems better in the film than on the album, but is too obviously a Bourne wannabe.

....and those mexican people pretending to be spaniards.... sad slant Worst of all is that I really think the producers thought it was ok: "Come on, let´s hire some latinos, they are all the same".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Saw a Japanese film called Gakko (A Class To Remember) directed by Yoji Yamada.

It's about a teacher of a night junior high school and his students. It's rather like a collection of episodes of each student, all who didn't get usual education for various reasons - an elderly Korean resident, truant girl, dayworking boy, a delinquent girl, Chinese immigrant, and so on.

I love the way Yamada describe those people, gently but with a good sense of humor, as he did in his famous Tora-San series. They're not flawless but all likable, and living their own life.

I always enjoyed Tora-San series on TV, as well as some of other Gakko series (not sequels, each has different characters and setting but all are about some kind of school). I'm going to see more of his works, such as Tasogare Seibei (The Twilight Samurai), looks very interesting.

Edit: Isao Tomita's simple tender theme played by a kind of Japanese flute (I think) was very good... synth sounds a bit dated but it made me feel somewhat nostalgic. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Vantage Point

Awful film, I barely got through it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Vantage Point

I had the benefit of browsing the internet while watching it, so I didn't pay THAT much attention. That's probably a good thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Vantage Point

I had the benefit of browsing the internet while watching it, so I didn't pay THAT much attention. That's probably a good thing.

this movie could be benefit with a better spanish accent from Mathew Fox tongue

Anyway, I think the movie was entertaining enough, even (or because) if it's bland copy of 24 . There are worse things in the world...Like Watching transformers 2.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes it was! One of the most convoluted films I've seen.

^
    to James response
  4. Southall wrote
    Vantage Point

I must say that the score listens indeed better inside the movie than outside
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    The Inglorious Bastards (1978)

Set in Europe during WWII , a group of American soldiers are in the process of being shipped off to military prison for a variety of infractions , ranging from desertion to murder . While they're being transported , a German artillery attack hits the convoy , killing the MPs and enabling four of the prisoners to escape . The group decides their best bet is to head to neutral Switzerland where they can avoid the fighting and prison . As they make their way to what they think will be freedom , they end up volunteering for a commando mission to steal a V2 warhead for the French Underground . Somehow , the team must sneak into the most heavily guarded base in German territory , steal the Nazi's most precious military hardware , and bring it back to the allies without getting arrested again by their own side .

This is a fun Euro war film directed by Enzo G. Castellari . Turn off your brain and just enjoy for what it is ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Twilight

No, not the kiddy vampire film, the Robert Benton detective film from 1998. It's a film which relies heavily on the goodwill of the audience towards simply watching its outstanding cast of veteran actors (Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, Susan Sarandon, Stockard Channing, John Spencer, James Garner - along with a young and topless Reese Witherspoon) do what they do best. It has such a relaxed pace and beautiful atmosphere (helped by Elmer Bernstein's score, which my wife thought was horribly old-fashioned) that I could forgive its rather uninspired narrative and thoroughly enjoy it, particularly the acting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    Marselus wrote
    ....and those mexican people pretending to be spaniards.... sad slant Worst of all is that I really think the producers thought it was ok: "Come on, let´s hire some latinos, they are all the same".

Just wondering... what do you think Paz Vega playing a Mexican in Spanglish?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    Miya wrote
    Marselus wrote

Just wondering... what do you think Paz Vega playing a Mexican in Spanglish?

Haven´t watched Spanglish actually, but again, hiring a spanish actress to play a mexican character..... slant Really, they should try to understand that what they call latinos have nothing to do with mediterranean latins. I mean we (specially here in Catalonia) have more things in common with greeks and italians than with south americans....but anyway.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    Yeah they should understand differences, and it can be said for Asians wink I know many are annoyed by Chinese actors playing Japanese or vice versa... But I also think it's ok if he/she played the character well, with respect.

(Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast At Tiffany's is out of the question, though tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    Rocky

My first time watching this film. I was very surprised by it (it's more like a typical, gritty 70s film about metropolitan decline with a boxing match stuck on the end, than what I was expecting) and quite enjoyed it. I've also recorded the next four films in the series but am not sure I can be bothered to watch them (presumably they're all similar to this, but increasingly worse?)
  5. "Outbreak"

I enjoyed the film the first time I saw it about five years ago. I watched it again out of interest, and to hear J.N.H.'s score in the film again. His score is quite effective in a number of scenes. I don't recall it playing so well on the expanded bootleg though.

Anyway, the film is far better than I remember. It was interesting to marvel at how well written the plot was and executed for the most part. And quite chilling too, considering the swine flu problem that could become full blown for the flu season.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    "Outbreak"

I enjoyed the film the first time I saw it about five years ago. I watched it again out of interest, and to hear J.N.H.'s score in the film again. His score is quite effective in a number of scenes. I don't recall it playing so well on the expanded bootleg though.

Anyway, the film is far better than I remember. It was interesting to marvel at how well written the plot was and executed for the most part. And quite chilling too, considering the swine flu problem that could become full blown for the flu season.

I think it's a reasonably enjoyable film too, but clearly daft a lot of the time. The score is unremarkable. The producers of the Varese album did a good job in getting as good an album as they did out of it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Rocky

My first time watching this film. I was very surprised by it (it's more like a typical, gritty 70s film about metropolitan decline with a boxing match stuck on the end, than what I was expecting) and quite enjoyed it. I've also recorded the next four films in the series but am not sure I can be bothered to watch them (presumably they're all similar to this, but increasingly worse?)

The first film is very good and I see no reason why it shouldn't have won the best film oscar. The films do get progressively worse though they are great fun, Rocky's III & IV in particular cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited
    I´ve yet to watch V & VI, but at least the first three are a treat. IV is very outdated thematically, though, and way over the top, although the usual elements are there and could help, but they definitely lost their charm over time.

I heard V is abysmal, but VI is said to be a nice end to the saga.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thanks for the comments - will probably watch them after all then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    EASTERN PROMISES

Film-making at its best, armed with an incredibly captivating performance by Viggo Mortensen. Despite the somewhat weak and abrupt ending, this is an eerie masterpiece with a tight storyline and impressive performances. Vincent Cassel's troubled character was very convincing and effective as well but the biggest surprise of all was Armin Mueller-Stahl's tremendous performance as the 'evil Godfather', the man who knows no limits. Naomi Watts on the other hand was particularly cold and 'outta there', but truth to be told and to her credit, all of them were somewhat all shadowed by the vastly superior and breathtaking acting of Viggo Mortensen;

The violence is moderate but shockingly realistic and in your face and the music by Howard Shore - although extremely limited in use in comparison to the score CD, singularly enhances the visuals and storyline tremendously. The lush and beautifully melancholic violin soli underline the movie's dramatic tone and also add to the overall color of elegance and class that dominates this whole movie; don't miss out, this is not the kind of movie you'll watch again soon enough.

I just watched this. Good film and Mortensen's never been better (really looking forward to seeing him in The Man). Very brutal at times - especially the knife fight. Armin Mueller-Stahl is a great actor and plays this one beautifully - I wish I'd seen him more often over the years. (The first time I ever really noticed him was in Barry Levinson's exceptional Avalon, a film I've only ever been able to see once, much to my disappointment.)

I don't think I agree with you about the score though. I like the album but the score seemed just a bit too incessant and obvious (with that main theme appearing over and over again for the first three quarters of the film - no doubt Thor would be salivating over how revolutionary an approach that was - and Shore's best work was saved for near the end).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    The Haunting

Such a wonderful film to look at and listen to. A pity the script is awful. The masterful score is arguably the most underrated in Jerry Goldsmith's entire career.

Agreed. beer Very awful script but excellent score by Jerry Goldsmith. Whenever i see this movie on TV, i just watch for the sake of Jerry Goldsmith. His score would really haunts the people who watch this movie.... biggrin

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.