• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009
    Miya wrote
    Hisaishi composed A LOT of non-film music. Check out Piano Stories... great albums. smile

Nice! Then he will probably perform some of his non film music works in friday´s recital.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I want to go! But only 2 concerts???? For 100EUR?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    I want to go! But only 2 concerts???? For 100EUR?

Well its the two concerts plus all the conferences. Not saying it´s cheap, but IMO it is a reasonable price.
    Anyway, I understand you find it expensive if you have to spend a lot of money only in the trip. Even us spaniards have to spend at least 100 € (aprox.) only in the trip (by car or by train).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    'CAUSE IT'S LOCATED IN THE MIDDLE OF FRIGGIN NOWHERE!

Seriously, they shall re-consider changing the location. I want to come with my g/f, but even if she - not exactly the greatest film music geek around wink - wasn't with me, still the only thing that'd prohibit me from doing so is partly the transportation fees 'cause it's in the middle of nowhere as i said and mostly because that there's nothing else to see or do, not my greatest scenario for such a visit abroad!

The fees for 2 concerts and conferences are good, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    'CAUSE IT'S LOCATED IN THE MIDDLE OF FRIGGIN NOWHERE!

Seriously, they shall re-consider changing the location. I want to come with my g/f, but even if she - not exactly the greatest film music geek around wink - wasn't with me, still the only thing that'd prohibit me from doing so is partly the transportation fees 'cause it's in the middle of nowhere as i said and mostly because that there's nothing else to see or do, not my greatest scenario for such a visit abroad!

The fees for 2 concerts and conferences are good, imo.

The problem is that the organisers are mostly from Úbeda (the director for starters), so it´s unlikely a change of location. Besides, this is gonna be the fifth year, and all the previous editions have been a success, I mean people keeps coming to the festival, despite it is actually in the middle of nowhere. Even Poledouris came in 2006 despite his health status!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't argue with that and UBEDA film festival HAS been a huge success. But i am aware of many people that have problems going there 'cause of the remote location, like mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't argue with that and UBEDA film festival HAS been a huge success. But i am aware of many people that have problems going there 'cause of the remote location, like mine.

True, Jordi for example has lots of problems going there; actually, last year he paid for the congress but didn´t finally go. So I can imagine what it is if you have to catch a flight to a near capital, then a bus / train / car to Úbeda, and then excatly the same but the opposite way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    This is such a dilemma. I need a god who decides for me. Imagine, a god needing a god. I sound like a Greec god. Unfortunately, I'm not.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    This is such a dilemma. I need a god who decides for me. Imagine, a god needing a god. I sound like a Greec god. Unfortunately, I'm not.

biggrin

You can always use the classic methods: flip a coin, roll the dice,...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hehehe. Listen, Bregt. I know what you're answer probably is: if i come, you go as well. I am sure Marcel's waiting for that, although not so much for my own arrival per se. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hehehe. Listen, Bregt. I know what you're answer probably is: if i come, you go as well. I am sure Marcel's waiting for that, although not so much for my own arrival per se. biggrin

What? I don´t know what you are talking about.... tongue biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote
    This is such a dilemma. I need a god who decides for me.

Well you could always hop on the Eurostar to London and then get a train down to me. smile wink
  1. Before I started posting on film music forums on the net I had never even heard of Joe Hisiashi, not even seen any films scored by him so for me he is or should I say will be a new discovery.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009
    I've only ever heard Howl's Moving Castle, but me thinks I'll be buying a few CDs before Ubeda.
  2. Marselus wrote
    Even Poledouris came in 2006 despite his health status!

But I'm sure that he didn't have to organise all his own travel, etc?

For me, it's just too inconvenient a place to get to - almost my own version of Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

It's good that, even though it's hard to get to, it's successful. Just imagine how much more successful it would be somewhere more convenient. But then that might take away some of the atmosphere of the event.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Even Poledouris came in 2006 despite his health status!

But I'm sure that he didn't have to organise all his own travel, etc?

That´s so true Alan.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    But then that might take away some of the atmosphere of the event.

Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009 edited
    If you want to listen more Hisaishi scores, for free and legally (wink), I highly recommend to visit StreamingSoundtracks.com.

http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/mod … e+Hisaishi
    This station has lots of Hisaishi albums including all of his Ghibli/Miyazaki scores, many of live action scores, solo album Piano Stories series, and even the rare soundtrack of a Ghibli short film! punk

There are many fans of Hisaishi (aka HFC = Hisaishi Fan Club biggrin ) requesting his scores, so you can hear one of his tracks almost every hour (especially in European morning/daytime).

Anthony wrote
    I've only ever heard Howl's Moving Castle, but me thinks I'll be buying a few CDs before Ubeda.

If you liked Howl, probably you'll like Porco Rosso too. Its style is similar to Howl (European feel) but it's much more energetic, uplifting, and fun! smile I actually think Howl is his weakest Ghibli score, except the beautiful Merry-Go-Round theme.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009 edited
    It would be amazing if he performs this at Ubeda...

Oriental Wind from 2006 concert
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1fyz7 … ntal-winds

One of my favorite non-film music by him. cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    Any final dates for the ubeda festival? wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Same dates that we already knew: 16 - 19 July 2009 wink

Official poster, by the way: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HDfg9p0r7LY/S … 2009wp.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    According to the organisation, Joe Hisaishi will take part in friday´s recital (playing the piano). He also will take part in saturday´s symphonic concert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Official poster, by the way: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HDfg9p0r7LY/S … 2009wp.jpg

Very nice poster!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Very nice poster!

I WANT ONE!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    According to the organisation, Joe Hisaishi will take part in friday´s recital (playing the piano). He also will take part in saturday´s symphonic concert.

So is this recital just a composer at a piano? Can the audience yell out what they want them to play?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

So is this recital just a composer at a piano? Can the audience yell out what they want them to play?

Some of the guests perform their NON film music works. Last year, for example, Bruce Broughton (piano), Joel McNeely (flute), Fernando Velázquez (cello), Carles Cases (piano), etc performed music of their own but non related to films.

They don´t play together but separately, although last year Broughton and McNeely played a theme together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Update regarding hotel booking, for everyone interested: tomorrow starts the booking period for the hotel I mentioned some weeks ago, and the one I´m gonna stay in, "Hotel Ciudad de Úbeda".

Twin Room: 66 € per night (33 € per night/person)
    Triple Room: 90 € per night (30 € night/person)

You DON´T have to pay now, you pay once you checkout from the hotel.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    How do I book?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    You should receive an email from the organisation with the details, but basically you have to go to your User Area (in the festival web) and click the hotel icon. Once you´ve booked the rooms and number of nights, you have to transfer, as a formality, 3,92€ / night (Twin Room) or 5,32€ / night (Triple Room) to the same account you paid your registration to. Then an email to the organisation to let them know you´ve made the payement. That´s all!

The only payement you have to make in advance is that formality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No hostels around?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    In the coming weeks they´ll add hotels / hostels to the list.