• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011 edited
    Wow. A LOT of purchases these last few weeks.
    A little to my surprise as nothing much really spectacular was announced.
    But still, sound clips, reviews and recommendations all over the place have prompted me to these purchases:

* Explorers - Jerry Goldsmith
    Just on recommendation....but as some negative reviews emerged later I hope I'm not going to regret it sad

* The Fall Of The Roman Empire (2CD Nic Raine rerecording) - Dmitri Tiomkin
    The one I am most expectant about! Already a great score (I own the original release), the sound clips for the rerecording were awesome!

* L'Enfer D'Henri Clouzot - Bruno Alexiou
    I'm a big fan of Disques Cinemusique's output, and the clips for this score were deliciously funky. Looking forward to hearing them in full!

* Barbarella - Bob Crewe/Charles Fox
    Barbarella psychedella. Just a guilty favourite of mine for...well, nigh forever. Finally got the CD.

* 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - Paul Smith
    Yes, this is the Disney version. Excellent score that I have loved ever since I saw the film so long ago! Well chuffed Intrada released this great, cleaned up version!

* The Least Worst Of Michael Perilstein
    Features music from such magnificent classics as "Master Race From Mars", "Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers" and "Beavergate". dizzy It was just $1.95...I couldn't resist.

* Musique Pour L'Ecran - Raymond Alessandrini
    Double CD compilation for Alessandrini scores. I don't know his work very well, but the clips were just lovely. A mix betwn Delerue and Bernstain. So looking forward to sampling some more of his work!

Still in transit
    * Hotel Rwanda - various artists
    Heard a few clips on What Score Are You Playing? on Facebook, and was very impressed.

Some more Gerhardt rereleases:
    * Elizabeth and Essex: The Classic Film Scores of Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    * Casablanca: Classic Film Scores for Humphrey Bogart
    * Gone With the Wind: Max Steiner's Classic Film Scores
    * Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann
    * Now Voyager: The Classic Film Scores of Max Steiner

* Fright Night - Brad Fiedel
    Excellent synth score! Great to see a proper release finally!

* Rampage - Elmer Bernstein
    It's a mono release which generally I can't stomach (I'm sorry if I'm being a Phillistine...I just hate that non-spatial audio). But while it's a hard preference to overcome, there are some exceptions where the score is SO good, it overcomes technical boundaries. And the soundclips for this just blew me right away.

* Le Grand Pardon - Serge Franklin
    Loved his L'Enfant Des Loups, so looking forward to hearing this. Tom's review certainly helped making my mind up!

* Descente Aux Enfers - George Delerue
    After a few less satisfying purchases, I thought I'd leave Delerue issues a bit for now, but -again- based on Tom's review and the sound clips, this smooth jazz score seems to be something I'll really enjoy once again!

* Nomad The Warrior - Carlo Siliotto
    Really impressed with Siliotto's work lately (his nigh-Golden Age work on Pompei is great!), and I have far too little of his.

* Le Fate Ignoranti - Andrea Guerra
    I should probably stop hanging out on that Facebook site. It's driving me to financial ruin.

* La Finestra di Fronte - Andrea Guerra
    Same complaint as above. slant But DANG, those clips were FINE.

* Die Päpstin - Marcel Barsotti
    Been looking for this for some time. Suddenly found it cheap and snapped it up! Great sonorous score with loads of that "religious sound" [™ Thor]

* Camelot - The Danna Brothers
    On D.'s recommendation....had I made the list above BEFORE I ordered this, I might have waited a month or so... I think I may have gone rather overboard financially. Well, can't be helped now.

* Restoration - James Newton Howard
    Same problem as above...well, at least when I am eating peanut butter sandwiches for three months now, I'll be spiritually and emotionally sated. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011 edited
    Yikes!

Impressive AND eclectic mix there, Martijn.

You won't regret RESTORATION, though. It's a must-have, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011
    Amazing list.

Still in transit
    * Hotel Rwanda - various artists
    Heard a few clips on What Score Are You Playing? on Facebook, and was very impressed.

You'll love it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Hans Zimmer - The House of the Spirits.

Awaiting:

Ennio Morricone - Days of Heaven (as a birthday present) and also possibly I'll get:
    James Newton Howard - Unbreakable for birthday.

An Elfman hater recently gave me Alice in Wonderland and The Hulk for free, just because he hates Elfman.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - The House of the Spirits.

Awaiting:

Ennio Morricone - Days of Heaven (as a birthday present) and also possibly I'll get:
    James Newton Howard - Unbreakable for birthday.

An Elfman hater recently gave me Alice in Wonderland and The Hulk for free, just because he hates Elfman.

His loss, both of those are very fine scores.

Have you heard Unbreakable? It's basically JNH does Vaughan Williams and that, of course, is no bad thing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Yes, one of my favourite JNH scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011
    p.s. if someone hates Elfman why would he have those Elfman scores?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...and why is there not a John Barry hater who wants to give me his Varese copy of THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM? slant
  3. He was buying all things he could and suddenly realised he hates Elfman.

He is also a John Barry hater, but owns no scores of his. He is a Harry Gregson-Williams fanboy. To the point of saying that Shrek Forever After is the best animation score ever written and Harry Gregson-Williams is the best animation composer to ever hit the planet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited
    Is he very special!?
  4. Seems so, yes. Just because a guy on our forum said that Henry Jackman's Puss in Boots is better than Shrek, he lashed out against Michael Giacchino and said that the said guy deserves a "shot in the back of the head."

I kid you not.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    "our" forum? confused

Anyway, he sounds like he's exceptionally special.
  5. Yeah, our = my Polish website's forum.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhhhh! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    ...and why is there not a John Barry hater who wants to give me his Varese copy of THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM? slant

I'd give it to you! But then I don't hate John Barry. Nor do I have The Quiller Memor...merom... that score you said.

I do rather like On Her Majesty's Secret Service though. That's a fairly recent 'discovery' for me, even though I've been familiar with the theme ever since I first watched ITV.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011 edited
    I hope it was the expanded version, the old releases are pants!

I also hope you enjoy christmas_tree Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown christmas_tree , it's a stayer wink dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Seems so, yes. Just because a guy on our forum said that Henry Jackman's Puss in Boots is better than Shrek, he lashed out against Michael Giacchino and said that the said guy deserves a "shot in the back of the head."

I kid you not.

What? care to elaborate in a pm? wink
  6. Seems 'Forever Young' and 'Thelma & Louise' have finally been dispatched. Looking forward to holding these two in my hands. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Seems 'Forever Young' and 'Thelma & Louise' have finally been dispatched. Looking forward to holding these two in my hands. cool

I'm pleased you got a copy of T&L beer
  7. It was worth the wait, I can tell you that. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    Kujira Tori (The Whale Hunt) - Yuji Nomi

I went to Ghibli Museum today and I knew what I should buy... one of the rare soundtracks available only there biggrin

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/soundtracks/museum/
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011
    HANCOCK - John Powell

I found it sealed for £2 cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    HANCOCK - John Powell

I found it sealed for £2 cool

It's very nice in the movie too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011
    THE MUSIC OF ITC - Various

Alan, I have you to thank for this, I read a recent post of yours where you mentioned it beer

Damn good value too, this 2 CD set only cost me £6 brand new from Amazon.
  8. Glad you like it. I don't have this compilation - I already have the multiple CD releases from all the titles I wanted and then bought digital tracks to things like The Protectors.

It is a great highlights set though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011
    Yes, that's why I went for it, much as I'd love those multiple CD releases I would just never get around to or have the time to listen to them all, even this 2 CD highlights set has a lot of material on it.
  9. Timmer wrote
    Yes, that's why I went for it, much as I'd love those multiple CD releases I would just never get around to or have the time to listen to them all, even this 2 CD highlights set has a lot of material on it.

And, to be honest, a lot of the music is not particularly interesting. It is nice when a familiar theme pops up that is played in an arrangement that's different to the more recognisable title theme version, but to have to wait until CD3, track 41 to hear it, well it's a bit grueling.

Which is a shame as the production values are great on these releases - there's been a lot of care taken to put the tracks together and write the extensive liner notes. But all I end up doing is select 4-5 key tracks per CD and discard the rest.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. These just arrived in the mail:

- Gremlins (Jerry Goldsmith)
    - The Core (Chris Young)
    - The Hudsucker Proxy (Carter Burwell)
    - Adventures of Tintin (John Williams)

Not a bad selection if I do say so myself. cool

And two mystery scores for Thomas, glad I was in the right place at the right time when I ordered these, since they're so very hard to come by... Now I won't spoil it for him. He has to post these here himself.
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    These just arrived in the mail:

- Gremlins (Jerry Goldsmith)
    - The Core (Chris Young)
    - The Hudsucker Proxy (Carter Burwell)
    - Adventures of Tintin (John Williams)

Not a bad selection if I do say so myself. cool

And two mystery scores for Thomas, glad I was in the right place at the right time when I ordered these, since they're so very hard to come by... Now I won't spoil it for him. He has to post these here himself.

awesome selection, now I'm curious to my 2 scores, considering you say they are hard to come by, can't wait smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh