• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    Does he shit in the woods?

No, I think that's the composer of Battlestar Galactica.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2013
    Martijn wrote
    I think Hans Zimmer should do the next Bond.

And why not!? I'm serious.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Stu Philips shits in the woods? The wealth of knowledge I gain from this board's members continues to astound.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Being the Barry fan that he is...

Though the funniest thing was when one of the biggest Hans Zimmer haters on FilmTracks was ENTHUSIASTIC when I pondered about the idea of him scoring one of the Frakes-directed Star Trek films (because Frakes is a fan).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Stu Philips shits in the woods? The wealth of knowledge I gain from this board's members continues to astound.

Stu Philips is a pope?
    That explains that weird overtly religious current running through all incarnations of Galactica!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Because I think Daniel Craig looks much more rugged.
  2. Southall wrote

DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?!?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013
    Alright, let's get back on track.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Alright, let's get back on track.

SURE....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause Jolly good show!
  3. I did a class on Monday where I sampled from some scenes to demonstrate how film composers can work in interesting ways against the atmospheric sound effects of a scene. Funnily enough, and I only realised while I was giving the class, Thomas Newman came up a bit. (The scoring of the heaven scenes in Angels in America and the killing of Paul Newman in Road to Perdition were 2 of the 6 case studies. A scene from Little Children is in the next week's class on scoring montage storytelling.) I was struck by just how strong a storytelling presence he is. Amazing. And then on the way home my ipod shuffled on to Skyfall, and I turned off shuffle, because it's too good a score not to listen to the whole way.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013
    franz_conrad wrote
    the killing of Paul Newman in Road to Perdition

You mean "Ghosts"? That's a highlight of the score.

I'd love to be there at that class.
    Kazoo
  4. 'Ghosts', yes. The use of the sound of rain as an element of that scene is beautifully handled.

It was a good class. I hope to write this latest series up in some form in future. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    For me, Road to Perdition is one of the best scores by Thomas Newman
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    kilar30 wrote
    For me, Road to Perdition is one of the best scores by Thomas Newman

For me it is the score that comes closest to toppling Shawshank Redemption from my # 1 spot.
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    The Shawshank redemption is very good too. Great films and fantastic scores
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    kilar30 wrote
    The Shawshank redemption is very good too. Great films and fantastic scores

Yes, I think the fact that it's a perfect score for one of my all time favourite films has a lot to do with it being my very favourite T. Newman score.
  5. It's out! Saving Mr Banks is out. A whole lot of short tracks (dislike), but they're very good (like). Quintessential Thomas Newman (make of that what you will). Lots of fun and also very beautiful.

I agree with Jon Broxton when he said it's a guaranteed Oscar nominee. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if........

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013
    Saving Mr.Banks, at last, some new Thomas Newman!

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Mr-Banks-S … bsnr_42_25
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. I listened to some of the tracks. It sounds like a contemporary Little Women. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013 edited
    It's on Spotify already. Starts off like the score for a news room.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DELETED
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    DELETED

...but WHY? cry
  7. Disney. That's why.
  8. Synchrotones' "cyber monday" treat is a review of Thomas Newman's "Saving Mr Banks". A wonderful little score. Enjoy!

http://synchrotones.wordpress.com/

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  9. Yeah, saw the movie yesterday. It's a nice little character piece.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013
    I love the score. It sounds like, recently, Newman has revisited the style of his earlier films. The Adjustment Bureau, The Exotic Marigold Hotel and Saving Mr. Banks all contain little rhythms that sound quite familiar to his earlier output, like Josh And S.A.M. and the like...
  10. My review of SAVING MR. BANKS, for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/12/13/savin … as-newman/

Jon
  11. I miss your scoring system: a nice concise summary of your thoughts before jumping in to the review proper.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. That's intentional smile