• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2013
    I'm going to watch SKYFALL this afternoon, it'll be my first viewing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. lollollollol

Timmer ->> beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2013
    beer cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013
    Would you be more accommodating of this score if it didn't have Bond attached to it? I wonder because I struggle to see how anyone can think this is a bad score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013
    Steven wrote
    Would you be more accommodating of this score if it didn't have Bond attached to it? I wonder because I struggle to see how anyone can think this is a bad score!

I'm a little bit drunk at the moment but I'll get back to you on this tomorrow, more likely in the Recent Viewing thread as I saw the film for the first time today.
  2. Steven wrote

Like I said before, different ears... -_-
  3. Steven wrote

It isn't a bad score, in fact it's a decent one, and I do enjoy listening to it. But it's not what I think of as a good Bond score...subtle quotations of the theme aside, it simply lacks the swagger and the outrageousness that IMO needs to go with the territory. If Newman were to have scored The Bourne Legacy with this music (rather than that snoozefest we got from JNH), I'd be pleased as punch, as it sounds far more like a Bourne score than a Bond one IMO.
  4. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

It isn't a bad score, in fact it's a decent one, and I do enjoy listening to it. But it's not what I think of as a good Bond score...subtle quotations of the theme aside, it simply lacks the swagger and the outrageousness that IMO needs to go with the territory. If Newman were to have scored The Bourne Legacy with this music (rather than that snoozefest we got from JNH), I'd be pleased as punch, as it sounds far more like a Bourne score than a Bond one IMO.

Yet as the series evolves composers can't go on emulating John Barry forever - which Arnold did to a certain extend. What, for instance, do you think about Eric Serra's approach?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Yet as the series evolves composers can't go on emulating John Barry forever - which Arnold did to a certain extend. What, for instance, do you think about Eric Serra's approach?

I haven't heard Goldeneye...and I agree that composers shouldn't only imitate Barry (which Arnold didn't)...but the problem I have with Newman's score is not that it's not Barry-like enough, it's that it's just too low-key for Bond. "Subtlety is no virtue in a Bond score," Barry said once, and I couldn't agree more.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013 edited
    GoldenEye was hideous. And while I really like Newman's score (probably even more than the past few Arnold ones), I'm dying to hear one that is as Barry-esque as Tomorrow Never Dies. The more "aggressive" Arnold scores just aren't as good. Compare Target Terminated from QoS with White Knight from TND and you'll hear what I mean.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

You may have a valid point, it took me some time to be able to enjoy what is IMO the 2nd worst Bond score* of them all, GOLDENEYE, an album I quite enjoy by itself.

*DR NO, apart from the immortal Bond theme is a bloody rotten score and comes in at # 1 crappy Bond score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    GoldenEye was hideous. And while I really like Newman's score (probably even more than the past few Arnold ones), I'm dying to hear one that is as Barry-esque as Tomorrow Never Dies. The more "aggressive" Arnold scores just aren't as good. Compare Target Terminated from QoS with White Knight from TND and you'll hear what I mean.

It's a shame Barry didn't come back for one more Bond, he was all set to score GOLDENEYE but walked out when he was told the song was out of his hands, and what kind of song did they get instead? A Barry pastiche, a pretty good one but still pastiche.

p.s. I'm still not sure yet, but I think Adele's SKYFALL is DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER backwards. spin
  6. Saving Mr. Banks

I got a good feeling about this score. I think this might be the one. Can't wait to hear it.
  7. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that film and score. It seems like just the sort of thing Newman could knock out of the park.
  8. Happy 58th Birthday, Mr. Newman. Your music is terribly missed.

To satiate that, I've been listening to Skyfall almost non-stop this past year. It's your best work yet. Can't wait for Saving Mr. Banks!
  9. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Skyfall...It's your best work yet.

shocked Really? shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

shocked Really? shocked

While I agree with you Edmund it has to be said ( flash cliché alert flash ) ...to each their own.
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

shocked Really? shocked

Yes, among many others.
  11. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Happy 58th Birthday, Mr. Newman. Your music is terribly missed.

To satiate that, I've been listening to Skyfall almost non-stop this past year. It's your best work yet. Can't wait for Saving Mr. Banks!

damn, wish I knew it was his birthday. I would have congratulated him in person smile

For me the absolute highlight of the WSA this year, a brief meet and greet with Thomas Newman
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

shocked Really? shocked

While I agree with you Edmund it has to be said ( flash cliché alert flash ) ...to each their own.

Even among those who liked Skyfall I find it hard to believe that they would call it the best of Newman's career.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not by a very very long way IMO, there's a lot of Newman works I love but Skyfall isn't one of them. Why this crushingly disappointing and very generic score got an Oscar nomination is beyond me ( I'm guessing it's on the back of Adele's superb song??? ), by that reckoning they might as well have nominated James Newton Howard's insipid BOURNE score
  13. Timmer wrote
    Not by a very very long way IMO, there's a lot of Newman works I love but Skyfall isn't one of them. Why this crushingly disappointing and very generic score got an Oscar nomination is beyond me ( I'm guessing it's on the back of Adele's superb song??? ), by that reckoning they might as well have nominated James Newton Howard's insipid BOURNE score

Ouch. Now that is one step too far. For all its faults Skyfall is still leaps and bounds beyond JNH's snorefest. Coincidentally, Newman's score strikes me as much more appropriate for Bourne than Bond and if it had turned up in Legacy I wouldn't have been disappointed at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you there, it would have been appropriate as a Bourne score and an exceptionally weak entry into that franchise too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sad

I have faith you'll accept Skyfall into your heart one day, thus securing your eternal place next to our Lord and Saviour Thomas Newman in the afterlife.

Skyfall be with you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love Thomas Newman, he's still one of my favourite living composers. Just keep him away from Bond and I'll be happier.

p.s. There is still a possibility I may come to like the score someday, as you yourself once said Steven, perhaps when I can divorce the score from James Bond I may like it more?

My past history has proved I'm a spot changing Leopard so who knows. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Skyfall isn't my favourite Newman by any means (that's Angels in America and there are several others I'd pick above it) but I do love it. Thought it was a perfect Bond score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Hans Zimmer should do the next Bond.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hans Zimmer should be the next pope.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall