• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013
    First Listen of Newmans latest, "Side Effects", over @ CinemaMusica:
    http://www.cinemamusica.de/1774/thomas- … fects-2013

Enjoy!
  1. Sounds like Newman's back in his comfort zone. Cool. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013
    Thanks for the heads up Basil !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2013
    We wont hear another Bond score from Newman it seems, at least not soon enough.

http://collider.com/sam-mendes-not-directing-bond-24/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    We wont hear another Bond score from Newman it seems, at least not soon enough.

http://collider.com/sam-mendes-not-directing-bond-24/

"phew"

Arnold back please!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You've changed, man. uhm

Bring them both back! Write a score each and release both of them!! YAY!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Arnold? I'd take Newman anytime over smile But please get rid of the large lady next time wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    You've changed, man. uhm

With naked women!
    And port!

(What? You have your pipe dreams. I have mine.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You remind me of someone...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    You've changed, man. uhm

Maybe you remember ( maybe not ) that I was excited about hearing a Thomas Newman score for Bond? I gave SKYFALL another play last weekend and though I've warmed to it a little it's still deeply disappointing to me, take away the Barryesque brass stabs and Bond theme hints here and there and what you have is Thomas Newman's take on a JASON BOURNE score and it's not a good one at that.

If I had a choice as to who would next score Bond I'd go for Terence Blanchard but unless Spike Lee directs that ain't gonna happen, at least with Dave Arnold it's in safe hands.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Couldn't disagree more about it being a lesser version of a Bourne score! Personally I'd place it along side the Bourne scores, as a similiar-but-different yet equally brilliant score.

Sure, Arnold writes great themes and brilliant action music, but I found that Newman's approach got under the skin far more than Arnold's music. He creates the same level of excitement (for me, at least) without having the orchestra play every instrument and every note at the same time (which is far from a criticism against Arnold, I like that approach too).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I agree with what Steven says, even though he's a Brit. But then Timmer's as well, but I don't agree with him. I'm in a complicated situation. Nevertheless, it's far from a lesser Bourne score to me.

I must say that it was a long time ago we talked about Skyfall, so I'm relieved to see that this score has not been forgotten yet.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I agree with what Steven says, especially since he's a Brit. But then Timmer's as well, but I don't agree with him. I'm in a complicated situation. Nevertheless, it's far from a lesser Bourne score to me.

Wise words.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Couldn't disagree more about it being a lesser version of a Bourne score! Personally I'd place it along side the Bourne scores, as a similiar-but-different yet equally brilliant score.

Sure, Arnold writes great themes and brilliant action music, but I found that Newman's approach got under the skin far more than Arnold's music. He creates the same level of excitement (for me, at least) without having the orchestra play every instrument and every note at the same time (which is far from a criticism against Arnold, I like that approach too).

YES! Arnold is fantastic but I feel like we haven't had enough of a break from him to truly appreciate him. At this point in time however I DO want another Newman score!
  2. Maybe what Bond needs is a Tyler Bates score?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    @Thor

I really wish we could tag people.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I agree with what Steven says, even though he's a Brit. But then Timmer's as well, but I don't agree with him. I'm in a complicated situation. Nevertheless, it's far from a lesser Bourne score to me.

I must say that it was a long time ago we talked about Skyfall, so I'm relieved to see that this score has not been forgotten yet.

Scores that divide people always have board longevity.

I wish I could hear what you guys hear in it but I just don't and I'm not alone in that, though there seems an overwhelming majority here that are possitive about the score compared to other sites I've read. My fellow John Barry fanatic chums also seem to be a majority that love Newman's effort.

:shrug:
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Maybe what Bond needs is a Tyler Bates score?

Maybe what Band needs is a Johnny Williams score?

Actually what Bonds needs is a martini shaken not stirred, a bald and bold villain with cat and a blond bombshell by his side.
    James Bond will return ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I agree with everyone, even people who aren't British. It would feel like a backward step to go from the Skyfall score back to another one from Arnold.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I agree with everyone, even people who aren't British. It would feel like a backward step to go from the Skyfall score back to another one from Arnold.

You're saying the Skyfall score is a step forward?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is, imo too.
  4. I would agree, but I never really liked David Arnold's music.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    This is rather all very improbable from a distance as far as M83.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    This is rather all very improbable from a distance as far as M83.

At last, a man that talks sense! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Not a step forward as more of a different point of view. Personally, I would like nothing more is for Martin Campbell to return and bring back David Arnold. While I didn't enjoy Newman's take on the Bond sound I very much prefer Arnold's work.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    SKYFALL.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Oh, yes. I thought so. I thought most British people, and some non-British people, shared that point of view.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Are you a Brit?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall