• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    How's about...ermmm...just of the top of my head, something, like, say...OFFERING THEM TO YOUR DEARLY BELOVED FRIENDS HERE ON MAINTITLES????

Or even selling them?
    Crikey...at just a quid a piece you'd still have cleaned up. slant

I wouldn't mind giving them away, but I return to my point that they were all rubbish - and frankly, to "give them away" I'd have to pay postage to send them to people, which was not high on my priority list.

I'd have loved to have sold them, but putting 500 things like James L Venable's "Iron Monkey" or Randy Edelman's "Gettysburg" on Ebay would surely end up costing me more than it retrieved.

I have a few hundred stowed away and have had intentions to get rid of them.

I think I'll ....

A) Play each one to see if I really must throw it away.

or

B) Sell them on e-bay or offer them to board members.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's a couple of thousand of them or so...

It is my dream to one day have that many soundtracks. shocked

It'll happen one day and you'll wonder how the frig you got that many and how you ever afforded them in the first place.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

It'll happen one day and you'll wonder how the frig you got that many and how you ever afforded them in the first place.

biggrin

...to say nothing of storage space rolleyes slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

biggrin

...to say nothing of storage space rolleyes slant

Well, I don't even have a hundred yet, so... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Blimey. Thems were the days...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Yes they were!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Martijn wrote
    How's about...ermmm...just of the top of my head, something, like, say...OFFERING THEM TO YOUR DEARLY BELOVED FRIENDS HERE ON MAINTITLES????

I say, good point, dear fellow! And I too would gladly pay the postage of the titles I'd be interested in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes they were!

-Erik-

Isn't it funny how we all start out in envy of those with years of collecting behind them, yet when you finally do reach the point where your collection starts to resemble a CD shop, you miss the days of having very few CDs.

Music fans hey? rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Ahhhhh....the good old days. rolleyes

NO information except in the most obscure magazines as to where you could buy out of print soundtracks.

Record stores with a measly pile of soundtracks....if you weren't into Spagetti Westerns, James Bond, or The Sound of Music you were buggered.

On the plus side, that measly little collection I had as a teen was played back to front to back again until I knew every nuance and note and scratch and hiss of every single album I had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wouldn't know, I 'only' started collecting around 9 years ago. So, for me, thems were the days.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I wouldn't know, I 'only' started collecting around 9 years ago. So, for me, thems were the days.

One day, when you only have to think about what you want played and it plays, you'll look back with nostalgia at the days of on line CD buying and downloading biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    The Sound of Music

freezing
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The Sound of Music

freezing

I think Rogers & Hammerstein wrote some fantastic songs and melodies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The Sound of Music

freezing

I don't know if it's the chasm of generations but just let me get ma buckit! biggrin tongue kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

One day, when you only have to think about what you want played and it plays, you'll look back with nostalgia at the days of on line CD buying and downloading biggrin

The days where you will be going into dark alleys to ask an obscure dealer for a 90-minute complete score injection are upon us!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The Sound of Music

freezing

I don't know if it's the chasm of generations but just let me get ma buckit! biggrin tongue kiss

Sound of Music is before my time too D biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What odd people you all are. I don't regret having loads of scores now AT ALL!
    When I think about the days I just had 30 CDs to choose from... freezing
    I'm so happy to live in these days with its digital possibilities! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Me neither. I do regret that I don't have time any more to intensively listen to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I did what franz is now doing just a few months ago. I spent two-three weeks transferring ALL of my 1000 CD's to iTunes-compatible file format. Hell of a job! Since then, I have only played CD's while I'm cleaning my apartment and have to stow my portable computer away.

So, what am I to do with the CD collection? Well, first of all, it's really a piece of FURNITURE as it takes up a whole part of the wall, and it's also a piece of furniture that tells something about who and what I am. CD's are also the things I play if I want to go all "headphones" and really LISTEN to the music rather than having it on in the background as I surf the net. After all, the sound quality is that much better. So I have no intention of putting them in boxes and storing them away in some attic. However, I DO intend to sell off quite a few in the near future, which is more the result of wanting to have only QUALITY stuff that I am 100% certain will give me listening pleasure in the years to come, not quantity.

Maybe it's my English skills, but I didn't really understand what franz was supposed to do with these boxes (I think it's the word "cull"...doesn't that mean to "pull" as in "these tracks were culled from a different source"). Are you storing them somewhere? Are you selling them off? Are the titles you mentioned things that go in the box for storage or things that go on a sales list?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes they were!

-Erik-

Isn't it funny how we all start out in envy of those with years of collecting behind them, yet when you finally do reach the point where your collection starts to resemble a CD shop, you miss the days of having very few CDs.

Music fans hey? rolleyes

Actually I love having heaps of them. But now that I can fit them all inside a small box on my desk, I don't feel I need to have them fill up half my living space. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Thor wrote
    Maybe it's my English skills, but I didn't really understand what franz was supposed to do with these boxes (I think it's the word "cull"...doesn't that mean to "pull" as in "these tracks were culled from a different source"). Are you storing them somewhere? Are you selling them off? Are the titles you mentioned things that go in the box for storage or things that go on a sales list?

I have a small storage space, which at the moment contains boxes of old books I haven't read in a while. It is now slowly filling up with boxes of CDs.

Yes, the ones going in the boxes are the ones I list here. It isn't a sales list, although I may eventually sell some of them. ('Out of sight' is after all the first step to 'out of mind.') The reason I list them here however is to observe the shocked reaction however from all and sundry. It has been tough to make myself understand - 'yes, you aren't actually going to pull that CD off the shelf anymore' - and put it away.

Some of the below went in last night, and will illustrate this for many:

- Kiss of Death (Trevor Jones)
    - Marvin's Room (Rachel Portman)
    - Emma (Rachel Portman)
    - White Palace (George Fenton)
    - Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (Danny Elfman)
    - Avalon (Kenji Kawai)
    - Pure Cinema Chillout (themes compilation I was sent when I was the reviewer)
    - Cry, the Beloved Country (John Barry)
    - Titanic / Back to Titanic (James Horner)
    - Ruby Cairo (John Barry)
    - 2 Days in the Valley (Goldsmith - boot)
    - The Last Castle (Goldsmith)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    - Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (Danny Elfman)

You, Sir, are no longer in my will.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    [- Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (Danny Elfman)

shocked

Oh, don't you think for a second that putting this in small font makes me overlook it!! I guess this is MY time to utter my shock and amazement over your box pick - one of Elfman's Holy Trinity (the others being BATMAN and EDWARD, of course) and simply put one of my favourite soundtracks of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009
    What is it about the human brain that cries for us to collect things.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We hunt and we gather.
    We are men.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Lately I've been doing really well as far as books are concerned. When I get something fiction I read it and then pass it on. The music is another story, yikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Wasn't James talking about LP's?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    [- Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (Danny Elfman)

shocked

Oh, don't you think for a second that putting this in small font makes me overlook it!! I guess this is MY time to utter my shock and amazement over your box pick - one of Elfman's Holy Trinity (the others being BATMAN and EDWARD, of course) and simply put one of my favourite soundtracks of all time.

I won't. I certainly feel Michael, it's one of those scores i'll never listen again smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

- Titanic / Back to Titanic (James Horner)

Oh; I JUST NOTICED THIS! beer
  3. It might have been a bit cheeky of me to put NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS in there, but since there's some serious Elfman fan(s) watching, I thought it time to cause a stir. It's on my hard drive if I want to listen to it, and the truth is, I haven't listened to it in 3 years. wink

PS. For me, Elfman's holy trinity goes a bit more like:
    - Sommersby
    - Standard Operating Procedure
    - Mission Impossible
    And they - and many other Elfmans - will not go ... INTO THE BOX!