• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

- Titanic / Back to Titanic (James Horner)

Oh; I JUST NOTICED THIS! beer

beer
    Let us fortify ourselves for the coming wrath. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Like several people here, I'm moving all my film music over to digital storage. And I thoroughly enjoyed doing it, too! The chief motivator for doing this was space - shelves upon shelves, stacks of CDs upon stacks of CDs and boxes upon boxes. It's all just taking up too much room.

I do miss the process of just turning my head 90° to the left and scanning along the CD spines looking for something specific or just a lucky dip selection.

Now, everything is easily to hand on my hard drive and I'm fast approaching 300GB (all my ripped CDs are at 320kbps mp3) - at the moment on an additional 500GB disc slotted into my PC and backed up to an external 1TB disc. Two copies of everything - but looking to make it three sometime soon. I hadn't considered re-ripping them at some point in the future as lossless files when costs of storage comes down (and ability to store more data increases).

About 10% of my tracks are also stored on my mp3 player for day-to-day listening.

It has been mentioned before, but I too miss the days of the manageable collection where repeated listening (because I only had 20-30 LPs) meant that you knew every nuance of the music; title of every track, knew where the music fitted in each film, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Blimey. Thems were the days...

Yes they were!

-Erik-

Isn't it funny how we all start out in envy of those with years of collecting behind them, yet when you finally do reach the point where your collection starts to resemble a CD shop, you miss the days of having very few CDs.

Music fans hey? rolleyes

Actually I love having heaps of them. But now that I can fit them all inside a small box on my desk, I don't feel I need to have them fill up half my living space. wink

Oh I love it too, don't get me wrong. But when I think about it, I just miss that 'magic' of being so intimate with a few CDs that only happens when you start collecting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

beer

I love it, but I guess Titanic's not for everyone.

Though I fail to see why a disliking of a score deserves quite so much backslapping? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It's been over 30 years since I've been intimate with the collection. In 50 years of collecting you accumulate. 78's, 45's, LP's, Reel to Reel, Cassette, and now CD. I'm sorry to say I still have all or part of it. There is a possibility of another move and if this is the case a lot of it will have to go.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

beer

I love it, but I guess Titanic's not for everyone.

Though I fail to see why a disliking of a score deserves quite so much backslapping? wink

Well, to tease actually wink Seriously though, it's one of those love it or completely hate it situations...i can understand how there will be people who like it, but those synths and synth choirs drive me nuts!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Last time I had a cull, I just threw about 500 albums away that I couldn't remember listening to more than once - next time I'll probably increase that threshold.

omg Only one word in my mind... mottainai! dizzy

You also could have donated them to online radio stations like StreamingSoundtracks.com (if they don't have those albums yet)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I have been collecting soundtracks for 20 years and I have about 500-600. I guess, it's not that much in 20 years compared to other people's collections but I don't mind it. For the time being, I don't need digital storage, I still have space on the shelves. And I don't like digital storage anyway - I'm old-fashioned, I never listen to music on computer or I-pod or whatever, I do prefer the good old CDs.
    In this 20 years I only sold 4 CDs that I definitely had no intention to listen to again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    [- Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (Danny Elfman)

shocked

Oh, don't you think for a second that putting this in small font makes me overlook it!! I guess this is MY time to utter my shock and amazement over your box pick - one of Elfman's Holy Trinity (the others being BATMAN and EDWARD, of course) and simply put one of my favourite soundtracks of all time.

^
    I was expecting this wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

shocked

Oh, don't you think for a second that putting this in small font makes me overlook it!! I guess this is MY time to utter my shock and amazement over your box pick - one of Elfman's Holy Trinity (the others being BATMAN and EDWARD, of course) and simply put one of my favourite soundtracks of all time.

I won't. I certainly feel Michael, it's one of those scores i'll never listen again smile

....and totally agree with D.

Nightmare Before Christmas? I CAN'T STAND IT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    - Ruby Cairo (John Barry)

I thought you were keeping things with stunning liner notes? cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

shocked

I won't. I certainly feel Michael, it's one of those scores i'll never listen again smile

I'm humming the main theme to myself now.

de-de-de-de-de-de-de-de-de-de
    de-de-de-de-de-de-de-de-de-de

Catchy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

shocked

You're all crazy! CRAZY, I TELL YA!! dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    - Ruby Cairo (John Barry)

I thought you were keeping things with stunning liner notes? cry

Oh dear. Sorry James. As Hamlet said to Laertes:

"I have shot an arrow over my house,
    and killed my brother.
    Now please don't run me through with that poisoned blade."*

* Some texts omit this last line.

I will keep the liner notes of RUBY CAIRO, and put the disc in the box. biggrin
  4. Tonight, on INTO THE BOX:

- Jesus: The Epic Mini Series (Patrick Williams)
    - Stigmata (Billy Corgan and another guy)
    - A 4CD themes compilation from Silva
    - Alexander (Vangelis)
    - Battleship Potemkin (the 'pretend' Meisel version... ie. the Shostakovich version that was sold under false pretenses)
    - O Patrone d'o Cane (Carlo Siliotto)
    - Absolute Truth (Debbie Wiseman)
    - Glory (James Horner)
    - Amistad (John Williams)

I couldn't bring myself to put A Beautiful Mind in the box. Some consider it lesser Horner, but I find myself returning to that one quite a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    - Glory (James Horner)

You should get the whip for this insubordination.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    - Glory (James Horner)

You should get the whip for this insubordination.

As long as Michael has a good collection of Prokofiev he shouldn't miss this one biggrin wink
  5. I've got to tell you Steven - I HATE that boy chorus theme that appears in GLORY. I guess the general shape of it is something like this:

-------------d----
    ------------------
    --d----d---------
    -d-------d-------
    d----------------

I find that big leap so irritating.
    Sorry, but you know what they say: this is who I am. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

shocked

You're all crazy! CRAZY, I TELL YA!! dizzy

We rarely agree on anything, Thor, but I'm with you on this one. Nightmare is one of Elfman's greatest achievements. Colourful and witty tunes with a delightful and memorable score. I think I might listen to it now!

This is Halloween, This is Halloween... la la la la la la...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Odd isn't it!? On this board I can mention how WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART does nothing for me and not a peep or even a whisper from anyone but mention a particular score and explode

I'm not saying I'm any different, some peoples likes and dislikes are a puzzle to me. biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    So not to HIJACK this thread I pose a simple question over at the Elfman thread concerning THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    Odd isn't it!? On this board I can mention how WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART does nothing for me and not a peep or even a whisper from anyone but mention a particular score and explode

I'm not saying I'm any different, some peoples likes and dislikes are a puzzle to me. biggrin wink

Mozart was "King of the Classical Era" and this must be music that does very little for you. I'd guess that you feel in a similiar way about Haydn and Handel. I can say the same thing about Abba. It does nothing for me. I don't think we can like everything which is why I say "Some music I just don't understand."
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor I was just thinking that Mikael didn't read this thread or yikes. You know how he feels about Mozart.
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    I've got to tell you Steven - I HATE that boy chorus theme that appears in GLORY. I guess the general shape of it is something like this:

-------------d----
    ------------------
    --d----d---------
    -d-------d-------
    d----------------

How much for The House of the Spirits? Me want!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I couldn't bring myself to put A Beautiful Mind in the box. Some consider it lesser Horner, but I find myself returning to that one quite a bit.

Same here; captivating atmosphere.

PawelStroinski wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I've got to tell you Steven - I HATE that boy chorus theme that appears in GLORY. I guess the general shape of it is something like this:

-------------d----
    ------------------
    --d----d---------
    -d-------d-------
    d----------------

How much for The House of the Spirits? Me want!

Glory is one of the scores i'd put in the box too; sorry, i never understood why it got so popular. shame

sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

Mozart was "King of the Classical Era" and this must be music that does very little for you. I'd guess that you feel in a similiar way about Haydn and Handel. I can say the same thing about Abba. It does nothing for me. I don't think we can like everything which is why I say "Some music I just don't understand."
    Thomas

I can't stand Abba either; but i too find the majority of Mozart not echoing to my tastes; too happy i'd say wink Apart from the MASS In c moll and the ABSOLUTELY STUNNING Requiem along with the 40th Symhony, the rest is stuff i can't stand; same goes for Handel and Haydn; Give me romantic era, Wagner, Beethoven, the entire Baroque and Bach along with the Russian romantic composers ANY DAY!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    oh and a note: the last person i'd ever include in the NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS fanbase is...THOR! What is wrong with you mate? smile biggrin tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The man has taste.
    What else?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i know he has taste; let's just say that the nightmare thing is the exception tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, let's NOT say that. tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    oh and a note: the last person i'd ever include in the NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS fanbase is...THOR! What is wrong with you mate? smile biggrin tongue

Demetris, there are three composers, and three composers only, for whom Thor will greet a complete score release. John williams is one, Elliot Goldenthal is the second, and Danny Elfman is the third. He adores Elfman. wink (Which is why I knew I had to mention NIGHTMARE going into the box when he posted here!)