• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    Steven wrote
    Quantitatively, I suppose it is low risk. But numbers mean shit all if you're facing a crocodile, one of nature's deadliest killing machines. That's qualitative. If that things decides to bite back, you're screwed... and statistics aren't going to help you. That's why it isn't "low risk."

So there's a 1 in a million chance that the crocodile will bite you and a 1 in a million chance that you will die in a car crash, but the former is a higher risk because crocs are mean muthafuckas?

Wake up, Steven. 1 in a million=1 in a million.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited
    But I didn't say that. I just said that sticking your arm in a crocodile's mouth is not "low risk" (or, if you want to be pedantic, I suppose it would be called high potential risk, for semantic's sake).

But "accidents" do happen. Pretty serious "accidents" too. Even if you had tempted fate, so to speak, 999,998 times, there is nothing to say that the 999,999th time you won't get seriously hurt. You can't spread that 999,999th "accident" over the 999,998 "successful" attempts - no amount of math is going to save you when you get your arm bitten off!

Driving a car is of course dangerous too - driving IS risky, I don't deny that for one second. But it's a risk most of us feel is worth taking most of the time. I would be arguing exactly the same if you had said that driving is low risk. (Statistically, it is -or, compared to other forms of transport, not- but qualitatively, the danger is always potentially there.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    But I didn't say that. I just said that sticking your arm in a crocodile's mouth is not "low risk" (or, if you want to be pedantic, I suppose it would be called high potential risk, for semantic's sake).

Perhaps we're using different definitions of "risk". I use it as 'the probability that something crappy is going to happen'. Since I'm talking probability, it doesn't matter one iota, how you subjectively evaluate it. You'll still be wrong, if you think something's very dangerous, if the actual numbers show that it isn't.

Steven wrote
    But "accidents" do happen. Pretty serious "accidents" too. Even if you had tempted fate, so to speak, 999,998 times, there is nothing to say that the 999,999th time you won't get seriously hurt. You can't spread that 999,999th "accident" over the 999,998 "successful" attempts - no amount of math is going to save you when you get your arm bitten off!

Sure, and it could happen the 1st attempt as well. You might choke on your breakfast tomorrow (so be careful). There are risks in everything we do, but we have to do them anyway if we want to have a normal life.

Steven wrote
    Driving a car is of course dangerous too - driving IS risky, I don't deny that for one second. But it's a risk most of us feel is worth taking most of the time. I would be arguing exactly the same if you had said that driving is low risk. (Statistically, it is -or, compared to other forms of transport, not- but qualitatively, the danger is always potentially there.)

Same thing with these croc handlers. Their job involves a small risk, and they accept the risk so they can earn their living. It's the same thing when we drive to work in our cars, we accept that there is a small risk of getting seriously hurt, but we accept it as a part of life.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    To be honest, I cannot believe people will commit themselves to watching alligators being poked when we have a fucking Babe Thread!!!

crazy

More Keeley!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    LSH wrote
    To be honest, I cannot believe people will commit themselves to watching alligators being poked when we have a fucking Babe Thread!!!

crazy

Your point is valid, and I can't argue with its flawless logic.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    A house cat is a pet. Same as a god. Them being at home have nothing to do with wild animals caged.

Cats are wild creatures as well. We've domesticated them for a few thousand years, but it's foolish to think that we've eliminated their true nature. Just look at how many birds they kill, even though we feed them plenty. Simply using the word "pet" doesn't change what they are.

Yeah, it's true. It's called instinct. But throughout the 27 years of my life i've been living with my family and cats i've never seen any of those cats actually trying to kill me, my family or any other human being wink (although icanhascheezburger.com would disagree wink )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yes, thank you Cpt. Obvious.

I think you might have missed my point though.... STICKING YOUR ARM IN A CROCODILE'S MOUTH IS NOT LOW-RISK.

It just isn't. Statistics or not.

Just like those Tiger magicians Siegheil & Roy, sooner or later the animal gets you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    Wow, what a discussion!

Incidentally, I'm totally with plindboe regarding the video. I found it extremely uncomfortable to watch, irrespective of how "stupid" the persons may have been. I don't like trivializing serious injuries like that. Too much "snuff" for me.

Maybe it's a peculiar Scandinavian sensitivity towards such things.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    I think the British way is 'man walks into Lion cage is asking for it!' and then when something bad happens it's like, :shrug: what did you expect? Hard cheese idiot!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    I think the British way is 'man walks into Lion cage is asking for it!' and then when something bad happens it's like, :shrug: what did you expect? Hard cheese idiot!

Oh, i can certainly chime in with this! kiss beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010
    The dangers of chatroulette.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5a5_1271632391
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    Gordon Brown. An idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdvd9DYR8GM
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, but have you seen the woman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Some people should not be allowed to even exist biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010
    Again, your videos keep playing near the end. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010 edited
    Worst show ever! Volvo trying to demonstrate an automatic braking system that is supposed to prevent crashes...goes major fail!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7T1K8-Fpas

Maybe it runs on microsoft windows ? Or it's probably made in China wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010
    Some people's existences should be banned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRasoZMirRc&feature
  1. Remember seeing that long ago but not the slow-mo part. I guess the guy who held on the tightest won.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010
    Banned? Heavens no, dimwits make for great entertainment!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010
    Am i the only one who enjoys this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxSeCKwz-jw

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Who the hell is Justin Bieber?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't you know him / her? He/she is the definition of brat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm afraid not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're a lucky man my friend, seriously.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010
    Steven wrote
    Who the hell is Justin Bieber?

I do know.....unfortunately.

Erase it from your mind, thank me later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010
    How does fame turn a sweet girl into a vomit-inducing trannie-like spectacle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    trannie-like spectacle.

Thank you D.

vomit
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    How does fame turn a sweet girl into a vomit-inducing trannie-like spectacle.

I think she's great, very talented ( but I don't fancy her ) and I much prefer her to the conveyer belt of anaemic pop stars.