• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The overscoring is a problem Edward Zwick tends to have in his movies.

True!

I really enjoyed JNH's score, I believe that in this case less would have been more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

True!

I really enjoyed JNH's score, I believe that in this case less would have been more.

I don't think THE LAST SAMURAI, or GLORY, or LEGENDS OF THE FALL for instance - were over scored, at all. Neither did BLOOD DIAMOND. The latter just sounded like what you'd get if you wanted Zimmer on the job but he wasn't home.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...sounded like what you'd get if you wanted Zimmer on the job but he wasn't home.

I hate it when JNH comes accross like that. I usually like him because he's a composer that doesn't sound like Zimmer, but every so often something like Blood Diamond comes along. sad
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

True!

I don't think THE LAST SAMURAI, or GLORY, or LEGENDS OF THE FALL for instance - were over scored, at all. Neither did BLOOD DIAMOND. The latter just sounded like what you'd get if you wanted Zimmer on the job but he wasn't home.

*SPOILERS*

I beg to differ. I would have left the final scenes of Samurai (bringing Katsumoto's sword to Meiji and the final scene in the village) completely unscored. It was more over the top than ever. JNH's score for the phone call was much more subtle, but still bordered on cheesiness in context, which is gladly completely lost on the CD release. Even restrained music (which Samurai and Diamond are great excercises in) can be too much sometimes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008 edited
    I watched the 1964 version of THE KILLERS last night, a double dealing heist movie with Lee ( I was born under a wanderin' star ) Marvin, Ronald ( the future US President ) Reagan, John ( The Fury ) Casavettes and Angie ( one time wife of Burt Bacharach ) Dickinson. Extremely cheesy with bad dialogue it's a lot of fun that all ends unhappily for the cast.

The score was by JOHNNY ( one hip cat ) WILLIAMS cheesy

A long loooooonnnnnng way off the composer we know today though there are plenty of touches that show a style in the making, I wouldn't rush to own this on CD as anything other than a curio.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I tend to avoid any thing of Williams' that has "Johnny" rather than "John". wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I tend to avoid any thing of Williams' that has "Johnny" rather than "John". wink

On the whole, yes! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...sounded like what you'd get if you wanted Zimmer on the job but he wasn't home.

I hate it when JNH comes accross like that. I usually like him because he's a composer that doesn't sound like Zimmer, but every so often something like Blood Diamond comes along. sad

I really do think JNH has very Zimmerish rymths in all his career, even if he used more the orchestra.

Anyway, I like Blood Dimanond for his most introspective stuff, wich are more JNH like Snow falling On Cedars..

About Overscoring Zwick movies...Well, I think The last Samurai is P-E-R-F-E-C-T.
  3. Nautilus wrote
    About Overscoring Zwick movies...Well, I think The last Samurai is P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

Ask yourself again in five minutes. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ask yourself again in five minutes. biggrin

Hah! biggrin
  4. Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I really do think JNH has very Zimmerish rymths in all his career, even if he used more the orchestra.

Anyway, I like Blood Dimanond for his most introspective stuff, wich are more JNH like Snow falling On Cedars..

I disagree, if anything it's Zimmer who refers to JNH's rhythmic sensiblities at times (in moments similar to Waterworld's Deacon's Speech - appears in King Arthur and Samurai). JNH was always much more complex rhythmically than Zimmer. Any similarities may come from the fact that both have rock background.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anyone here got a clip of Hans Zimmer's greatest moment, the theme for GOING FOR GOLD cool
  5. That's the one

It does foreshadow his film scores, especially Days of Thunder biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Aw, it won't show it slant
  6. Try This!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's it! biggrin

Will Hans ever reach those heights again? cheesy
  7. Over the weekend there was a two-parter in ITV - Flood.

Goodness, it was BAD!! I know that I do like some tripe on TV but even I thought that this was terrible. I wouldn't know where to begin in trying to substantiate my opinion...so I won't.

I know that Debbie Wiseman's score is not well thought of here, but I've thought that some of the thematic material is quite listenable. Unfortunately, it just gets repeated over and over again on the CD. Hayley Westenra's vocals on the CD is, in it's way, effective as a standalone piece in terms of stirring the emotions. But hearing it and seeing how it was used in the movie has ruined that standalone listening experience - the use of that music in the film was (IMO) terrible. It seemed to actually force the viewer into feeling sorry for the victim at that moment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. I've seen some films on DVD of late:

- In the Line of Fire - Wolfgang Petersen's most engaging film, partly due to being anchored in a fine script and two excellent leading performances. The presence of Morricone as composer is another delight - this third viewing I really noticed his contribution to the storytelling.

- Kaos - A real masterpiece of a film. Consists of adaptations of four of Pirandillo's short stories, with a coda featuring Pirandillo himself. Nicola Piovani does a wonderful score for the almost-operatic film. There's so much good film-making here from the Taviani brothers that it's no surprise it took two directors to pull it off. Not every part works, but even what doesn't work that well has its own charm. One of the great Italian films of the 80s.

- Gojira - A real pleasure of a film. Hard to believe anyone in America really liked the Raymond Burr edit, which humorously finds a way to fit Raymond Burr into every scene of the original Japanese version. But the Japanese version is quicker at getting to the point, and tells a better story overall. The monster himself is wonderful - I feel so sad towards the end as he's seen marching underwater to Ifukube's grim elegy for strings.

- Lady Chatterley - ... hmm.... I think I know why some people find Terrence Malick frustrating. I must admit the use of nature images between every scene in this DH Lawrence adaptation began to irritate me. However the lead actors give it their all, and the result is an admirable film, even it didn't always involve me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    - Gojira - A real pleasure of a film. Hard to believe anyone in America really liked the Raymond Burr edit, which humorously finds a way to fit Raymond Burr into every scene of the original Japanese version. But the Japanese version is quicker at getting to the point, and tells a better story overall. The monster himself is wonderful - I feel so sad towards the end as he's seen marching underwater to Ifukube's grim elegy for strings.

I quite disliked the American version, which is the first (and only) one I could get hold of.
    While Burr tries very hard to imbue every scene with earnestness, it does come off indeed quite humorously...which detracts from the not-bad drama (even though Godzilla is a lot scarier and more believable in many of the sequels, even the ones directly following).

I gather though that the Japanese cut is now available on DVD as well, so when money allows I'll be getting that for comparison's sake!

I indeed liked the ending a lot, even though I was rather shocked at the monster's demise (keeping the number of sequels in mind). Apparently the sixties and seventies simply ignored the end, while the Toho reboot of the late eighties pays hommage to it, suggesting there could be more than one Godzilla (referencing "Godzilla-type" monsters).
    But of course we fans know there is, and can only ever be, ONE true Big G.! wink

RV: finally cathcing up on the fourth series of Doctor Who
    David Tennant indeed looking a bit older, worn down even, as nicely referenced to by Donna, played by an almost subdued Catherine Tate, who apparently has been smacked around the head a couple of times to keep her hysterics down. And to good effect! I still don't like the character much, but at least I don't hate her as I did before (heaven help me, I even think she's a step up from starry-eyed lapdog Martha...maybe the most thankless, poorliest written compagnon to date... poor Freeyma sad )

Just finished part 1 (Partners In Crime) and 2 (The Fires Of Pompeii) and even though there was a slow scene here and there in either, was quite impressed with both.
    Partners In Crime has a fast-moving, light-weight plot that is never frightening, but by its pace and direction very enjoyable. Donna and the Doctor meeting again and their subsequent "conversation" actually had me laughing out loud! Nice little pop-culture references (loved the villain's "Wile E. Coyote" ending!) and an overall sense of fun and adventure made this a proper and enjoyable entry and start of the new season.
    And the ending... What.The.Fuck.
    I mean, seriously, shocked shocked WHAT THE FUCK!!!! shocked shocked
    My jaw was on the table!!!
    I actually rewound the scene three times to see if there were any additional microscopically small clues I was missing...

The Fires Of Pompeii had some of the VERY best set pieces and special effects in ANY Doctor Who episode. I gather they could make use of some of leftovers from HBO's Rome? Well, whatever. It looks brilliant, has some fantastic villains, some good, old-fashioned moral dilemma...Nothing too big or earth-shattering (uh...well. Except for, like, earth-shattering volcanoes and earthquakes. Well. You know what I mean), but just good fun!
    Me like!!

As for the music: I think I'm in love with Murray Gold's overhaul of the Dr. Who theme.
    It's a twist that echoes the change from the old 1963-type theme to the more energetic one of the seventies. It's way more subtle than that, but there's a definite suggestion of 'progression'.
    And it's interesting how the "Boe" segment keeps on getting stronger and stronger as a theme for the Doctor... hmmm...
    But is it me, or does the music seem to be poorly mixed? It seems it drowns out the dialogue at several occasions. While I love the score (will certainly get this when it's released) I *do* think it's too much in-your-face right now, which could be easily remedied by simply toning it down just a notch.

Anyway, two thumbs-up so far!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Martijn wrote
    I indeed liked the ending a lot, even though I was rather shocked at the monster's demise (keeping the number of sequels in mind).

It reminded me of watching ASTRO BOY as a child. That was a tv series that always featured the most devastating endings - characters dying, or families left in tears. The sense of grief that overwhelmed me as the bell tolled for the man-in-suit reminded me of that feeling.
  10. Martijn wrote
    As for the music: I think I'm in love with Murray Gold's overhaul of the Dr. Who theme.
    It's a twist that echoes the change from the old 1963-type theme to the more energetic one of the seventies. It's way more subtle than that, but there's a definite suggestion of 'progression'.
    And it's interesting how the "Boe" segment keeps on getting stronger and stronger as a theme for the Doctor... hmmm...
    But is it me, or does the music seem to be poorly mixed? It seems it drowns out the dialogue at several occasions. While I love the score (will certainly get this when it's released) I *do* think it's too much in-your-face right now, which could be easily remedied by simply toning it down just a notch.

I don't like the newest version of the main theme. For me, it's just too far removed from the original. Gold certainly got the balance right with the first couple of series.

As for poor mixing of the music. I think that there is a certain amount of poor mixing but I'm finding that the dialogue just isn't very clear. I'm finding it really difficult to make out what Catherine Tate is saying sometimes.

As for Season 4 in general, I think that the stories so far are a bit sub-par and I'm hoping that they are going to improve soon. David, my son, wanted to watch "Blink" at the weekend. Now there's an episode I could watch over-and-over again.
  11. Started my way through Absolutely on DVD.

I'm sure that there will only be a few people that have seen this Channel 4 comedy series that began in the late '80s. Really weird in places but very funny. A sort of cross between Monty Python and The Fast Show?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I indeed liked the ending a lot, even though I was rather shocked at the monster's demise (keeping the number of sequels in mind).

It reminded me of watching ASTRO BOY as a child. That was a tv series that always featured the most devastating endings - characters dying, or families left in tears. The sense of grief that overwhelmed me as the bell tolled for the man-in-suit reminded me of that feeling.

On a related note: I have been thinking on that.
    I see your point and your reference (even though I don't know Astroboy and have never seen it), but I've been wondering why it is that such characters or monsters meeting their end always hits me so hard emotionally?
    I remember a discussion with Aaryk back on the "other board" (Hi Andy! wave ), where this became one of the main points of discussion: wether we felt more sorry for the monster of Frankenstein or for King Kong.
    I came out for the latter, but I only now start to realize that the reason may be different from what I stated before.

It hit me when I tried to correlate my reaction to King Kong, Godzilla, the Iron Giant and a dying whale... it's to do with SIZE! There is something in my mind that has difficulty accepting that anything THAT big, might actually DIE. It's like they're not SUPPOSED to: they're so big, they're epic, and hence spared from mortal consideration.
    That they DO die is a complete negation of that feeling. It's the fairy castle that crumbles, Snow White and the prince not living happily ever after, Dorothy not getting home. It's like a measure of safety is taken away.

Of course it makes no sense on any cognitive level.
    But emotionally this suddenly explained a lot to me (mostly I guess about me; no idea if anyone can relate to this. Which makes sense. We all have our own correlations, our own references and our own demons to conquer.).

Anyway, perhaps food for thought and discussion in a whole other topic (or maybe not. Like I said, this might well be completely personal, and have no meaning to anyone but me), but it seemed to fit the flow of thought here at this time.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I don't like the newest version of the main theme. For me, it's just too far removed from the original.

I don't mind. The original is 45 years old! the melody is still the same, and it surely references [i[my[/i] (and David Tennant's, did ya see the Children In Need special "Time Shift"? Excellent!) doctor (the fifth one, Peter Davison). So I'm happy.
    But fair do's. I see your point.

I'm finding it really difficult to make out what Catherine Tate is saying sometimes.

Yeah, she doesn't excel at diction or elocution at the best of times. slant
    Yet another strike not in her favour.

As for Season 4 in general, I think that the stories so far are a bit sub-par

Oh...sad That might mean the three I have still lined up should be real stinkers, as I honestly did enjoy the first two (even though the sense of wonder has now been pretty much used up). Hmmm...well. We'll see.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I got a copy of the original GOJIRA ( Godzilla ) a few weeks ago, it was given away free with a Saturday's The Guardian newspaper, don't know yet if this includes the "Raymond Burr" US edit? I'll let you know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As for Season 4 in general, I think that the stories so far are a bit sub-par

Well, I've caught up now, adn I have to say I strongly disagree!
    I like the stories a lot so far.
    The acting is very good, the dialogue better than ever, the pacing just right!
    And the special effects seem to have made quantum leaps forward!
    I'm massively enjoying the series so far!

The only thing I could possibly find to criticize is that the series tends to steer towards sentimentalism...but I don't mind. In fact, especially when it's well acted (and it is! Bernard Cribbins (Gramps) is very good!), I'm an absolute sucker for sentiment. I blub at the drop of a hat. shame

Good to see the Ood again (I did feel a bit left in the lurch about their fate after series two), and the Sontaran episodes were just fantastic: action, adventure and brilliant villains. I especially liked the interaction between UNIT and the Doctor, which was far more three-dimensional than ever before.

I'm dying to see how the 'Rose' mystery plays out, but in keeping with the rest of the series, I'm quite resigned to the fact that it'll probably be an utter anti-climax in the Bad Wolf vein, involving some hideous explanation on why bees are disappearing. slant Oh well.
    Until that time, roll on timewaves!
    EXTERMINAAAATEEEE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just watched Cloverfield.
    I'm truly impressed: it's been a long time I was drawn into a movie this way.
    It helps immensely of course that I watched it on small screen, as I said I would (honestly...filming with hand-helds and then presenting it on a big screen??? Barf city!!! ). It works excellently on every level, and kudos for J.J. Abrams to come up with a Godzilla movie, ground zero, filmed from the ant hill.
    A very old concept, nicely packaged to look brand new! Very, very enjoyable indeed.
    4.5 out of 5

Giacchino's end credits indeed -as has been pointed out before- nicely channel Ikufube (as if the emphasis was needed...slant. Oh well. It was a nice touch.)
  12. Martijn wrote
    Giacchino's end credits indeed -as has been pointed out before- nicely channel Ikufube (as if the emphasis was needed...slant. Oh well. It was a nice touch.)

I see that "Roar" has appeared on iTunes in the UK....yours for only £7.99!!

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008
    Eh... yeah.
    Sure.
    That's...that's great.
    So now I can finally hear it...

<shifty eyes>
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    OR you can download it for free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    SHUSH, rascal. Don't you know that's ILLEGAL?