• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    2001 and Star Wars are both scifi James.
    George really did make such a movie!

Star Wars is Sci - Fantasy surely?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    2001 and Star Wars are both scifi James.
    George really did make such a movie!

That's about the only thing they've got in common, Bregt wink 2001: A Space Odyssey and Star Wars couldn't be more different - go watch 2001 and you'll see smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And take a pillow with you tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    And take a pillow with you tongue

Yeah, to be extra comfortable while watching this cinematic masterpiece! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That was ofcourse a cynical and dry comment of me.

Why got people that when Brits say something utterly dry that it isn't funny anymore?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    Why got people that when Brits say something utterly dry that it isn't funny anymore?

I don't know. Maybe because we don't take any British-comment seriously anyway? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I must admit, the last sentence I wrote in this topic, must've been one of the worst since "the metallic percussion is already banging around my head".
    Kazoo
  1. I spent some time watching Psycho this evening - I just fancied reminding myself of Bernard Herrmann's hypnotic score as heard in the movie. I'd forgotten just how much of the movie is wonderfully supported by Herrmann's.

I'm listening to the cue "Temptation" at the moment. I find it amazing that Herrmann can do so much with so little in terms of the actual material he uses in this one cue. He sets up such a strong rhythm at the beginning of the cue - really simple: small, concentrated cells of music, only motifs really. Then begins to pass these 'round the various sections of strings, introducing a bit of variation.

Then just as the listener (and viewer) settles down to this, Herrmann knocks everything off balance by dropping notes, changing the rhythm, etc. dizzy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2008
    This weekend I went and saw The Spiderwick Chronicles and Jumper. Really enjoyed both of them quite a bit. Two totally different movies, but both enjoyable. I already have the scores for both of them...Horner's Spiderwick I felt was a little lacking and didn't really stand out in the movie much for me either, while Powell's Jumper I enjoy quite a lot and I thought it fit well in the movie as well.
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
  2. PSYCHO is incredible. Quite a lot of it's disturbing feel comes from the fact that we never actually SEE ***SPOILER**** Norman Bates talking in his 'mother's' voice. **** END SPOILER ****
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2008
    The Da Vinci Code extended

I really loved the book, contains all the things I find interesting: Religion, Mysteries, Historic elements (yes..I know..), Investigation, a history told in a few hours...

The Extended version it's a little bit more near of the book. A little bit more exposition, more action and more cohesive.

Anyway, Still seems a TV movie.

Zimmer's score still is a bizarre mix in the movie (the same case than in BHD), luckly Zimmer music edited i the soundtrack is one of his few masterpieces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008
    Primer (2004)
    MILD SPOILERS:
    Apparently a critical success and prize winner, this little, cheap indie film did exquisitely well!

The story of a couple of technical entrepeneurs stumbling upon an invention that allows them to travel back through time is well-filmed, but ultimately unsatisfying though. The director in first instance cleverly keeps away from overexplaining what happens (well in line with the characters who are not fully aware why things work the way they work). This allows for an active, engrossing initial viewing of the first half of the film.

Sadly, he overextends himself with "not showing/explaining", while a great number of timelines start to evolve, all still told in a single linear fashion. It's not enganging, it's not fun to watch, it's not even very interesting, especially where -out of noweher- subplots emerge that really have nothing to do with anything, and aren't even interesting (the guy with the shotgun at the party, which makes a certain timeline suddenly and without any dramatic build-up, a Big Deal, is utterly pointless!)

The climax is not so much a climax as it is a "Yeah, OK, sure, whatever" moment.
    It's not particularly witty, nor indeed very comprehensible.
    What doesn't help either is that the continuous look of pained awe on both leads' faces becomes grating after a time, as is the "naturalistic" dialogue, which really doesn't come off very natural at all.

Kudos to all involved on making a little film on so little money which looks and feels absolutely fantastic, with GREAT photography, and on an initially interetsing idea, but at the end of the day, this just isn't a very interesting film.

2.5 out of 5

There is some sort of droning soundtrack thing going on in the background. but it's so bland there's nothing to comment on or rate.

Transformers

Last year's ultimate popcorn flick. Some annoying puerile "hip" and "funny" dialogue (both between the human protagonists and the robotic ones), as well as some superfluous cutesy scenes involving Bumblebee trying to bring the youngsters together, but the action scenes -however loud and FAST (a bit too fast at times: I have a hard time believing that 6 tons of steel could do kung-fu moves like that)- sure bring home the bacon! Shia Leboeuf is slightly neuotic, but highly amusing. I look forward to his appearance in Indy 4 in a few months!

And it may be my age (I caught the original Transformer cartoon series on Saturday morning TV during their first run), but Optimus rumbling "Autobots, move out" did bring a bit of a tingle to my spine, tear to my eye and smile to my lips. smile

4 out of 5 for sheer entertainment.

Jablonsky's thunderous score perfectly accompanies the action on screen. More's the fun!
    again: 4 out of 5 for sheer entertainment.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Yep, Transformers I found pretty mediocre the first time around: I wasn't prepared for the bombast, are you ever with a Bay film? But seeing it again and again I must say it's highly entertaining. It's just one wild rollercoaster of a film with a tempo that just doesn't let up. Makes you wonder how Bay can make his future movies move any faster than this! You don't have time to think about this or that. Just put your brain in neutral, open your mind and absorb the fun.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Transformers was probably one of my favourite movies last year, along with The Bourne Ultimatum and Ocean's Thirteen.

ULTIMATE POPCORN! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I loved Transformers! It was so bombastic in fact, it almost felt like a parody of a Michael Bay film.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    I loved Transformers! It was so bombastic in fact, it almost felt like a parody of a Michael Bay film.

cool

I was going to avoid it but I might just rent it out soon, I really have to be in the right mood to watch that kind of fluff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008
    Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... actually, this film was surely the best of times for Star Trek. I have been, and always shall be, its friend. So much good stuff. And James Horner, in 25 years of trying, has never beaten his work here. One of the absolutely great film scores.
  4. I quite like PRIMER. (And STAR TREK II for that matter!)

The weekend's viewing:
    - Orson Welles' MR ARKADIN is a superb film, particularly in the new edit from Criterion.
    - THE KINGDOM, by Michael Mann protege Peter Berg, is quite a nice piece of work.
    - THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD by my fellow countryman Andrew Dominik is one of the finer recent films. It takes its time nice and gradually, building up to the title event very gradually and following the repercussion of the event through to their final consequences for Robert Ford.
    - GONE BABY GONE, Ben Affleck's first film as director, is a commendable effort. Starring the finer actor of the family (Casey Affleck), this film offers another grim tale of life in modern Boston, a city also the location for MYSTIC RIVER and THE DEPARTED.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I must get the Jesse James film on Blu-Ray - sounds like exactly my sort of thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    I recently saw Paul Thomas Anderson's "There will be blood" and it is a very good film in a lot of different aspects. Daniel Day Lewis performance is again more than amazing.....
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Matrix Revolutions

I watched this movie in a premiere when I was doing a Radio Show about Cinema some tima ago...
    Since then, I didn't watch it. I found Matrix Revolutions disapointing and boring.

Now I rewatched it, for the score. It is better than I remembered.

The Zion battle is quite impressive, the GGI effects are still very ,very good.

Batman begins

Brilliant the first time you watch it , interesting the second time...

An a little bit boring the third one...

The score, Even if some people says it fits well, i still find it a very weak score.

(The Bat-mobile chase is still a hiper realistic chase! )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Matrix Revolutions

I watched this movie in a premiere when I was doing a Radio Show about Cinema some tima ago...
    Since then, I didn't watch it. I found Matrix Revolutions disapointing and boring.

Now I rewatched it, for the score. It is better than I remembered.

The Zion battle is quite impressive, the GGI effects are still very ,very good.

I hated, hated, hated this when I saw it. I guess one day I'll watch it again when it's on tv.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    I quite like PRIMER.

Imagine my shock. wink

Mysterious Island
    The 2005 Hallmark mini series very loosely based on the Jules Verne novel of the same name, starring Kyle MacLachlan and Patrick Stewart, both of whom are wasted in an inane script, lackluster direction, sad jumble of infantile dialogue and interaction and below-average CGI effects and a boring story. Most of the supporting cast are awful.
    Switched off halfway through.
    1 out of 5

Roger Bellon's score is completely off the mark and piss poor wen it's not downright boring.
    1 out of 5

Eden
    Charming little German film about an overweight, lonely, socially handicapped but absolutely genius chef, Gregor, whose life is brightened and inspired by the sudden appearance of beautiful young mother Eden, who falls deeply in love... with his food, much to the chagrin and ultimate undoing of her goodlooking husband. Clever little drama that never once becomes unbelievable (the leaps of faith required from the audience notwithstanding, especially where Gregor's feelings for Eden are concerned), and is engrossing till the end. Excellently acted by all concerned.
    Winner of several prizes at different film festivals.
    4 out of 5

The score by Christoph Kaiser & Julian Maas is minimalist and new agey, and fits the film well, though it's nothing outstanding.
    2.5 out of 5

Dancing At The Blue Iguana
    The life and times of "exotic dancers", as Americans euphemistically refer to strippers as. While filled to the brim with absolutely stunningly beautiful women baring their bodies, this film is qiute a bit more intriguing and engrossing than, say, the aloof Showgirls, which touches upon similar themes. It's clear that all the girls are -in one way or another- deeply troubled and hurt, and have each found their own armour to deflect any emotion. The armour is generally more destructive than anything else, though.
    Daryl Hannah leads the excellent cast as a semi-delirious zonked out stripper. Not only does she play the role believably and flawlessly, but she also looks absolutely stunning still on stage (she was 40 when taping the film).
    Dark and generally downbeat, but well worth a look.
    The dialogue and direction come off so naturally because apparently the film was not actually scripted (actors were rather given an outline of their character)!
    4 out of 5

There is no original soundtrack.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008
    Robinson wrote
    I recently saw Paul Thomas Anderson's "There will be blood" and it is a very good film in a lot of different aspects. Daniel Day Lewis performance is again more than amazing.....

I heard so much varying comments on that one, comments that suggest that it's utter bore-fest up to totally brilliant. I wonder what it really is as i have yet to seen it myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I watched The Painted Veil last night and loved it.
    Edward Norton delivers as usual.
    I love the period, I love China, and what a tale between two people. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Not.a.single.word.about.the.score?!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, this is the 'Recent Viewing' thread. I understand though, it's good to hear what people think of the score in relation to the film. The Painted Veil is a great score but I have no intention of seeing the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh, haha, it was awesome!
    The piano was amazing. I'm ordering this one today. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    I heard so much varying comments on that one, comments that suggest that it's utter bore-fest up to totally brilliant. I wonder what it really is as i have yet to seen it myself.

Totally brilliant! punk

But... well... It has to be mentioned that it references 2001: A Space Odyssey in style. Considering your disliking of that film, be warned wink
  5. Southall wrote
    Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... actually, this film was surely the best of times for Star Trek. I have been, and always shall be, its friend. So much good stuff. And James Horner, in 25 years of trying, has never beaten his work here. One of the absolutely great film scores.

biggrin
    punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn