• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008
    Lost (Season 2)

Finally finished watching this for the second time. I need to have a break from Lost for a while now (hmm...until April 29th perhaps...?)

Is it me, or is the season 2 ending craptacular? I'm not talking about the hatch imploding or everyone getting captured (all that stuff is cool), I mean the ending . Rather than go out on the logical, most interesting, and most tense story point (i.e. wtf will happen to Jack, Kate and Sawyer), we go out on two guys playing chess and calling Penny to say ''we found them''. Uhm, sorry, but what? This is a bad cliffhanger, let alone the one that should have been used for the finale. rolleyes sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008
    Watched RESCUE DAWN last night.

It was a decent film, not great by Herzog's standards but I did enjoy though the schmaltzy ending could have been junked and I though the feeze frame last image disappeared with the 1980's.

The score by Klaus Badelt was very guuuuuuuu.....

Try again

The score by Klaus Badelt was the opposite word of bad.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let me try: Badelt's Rescue Dawn is surprisingly good and meaningful music, deeply recommended to everyone.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Let me try: Badelt's Rescue Dawn is surprisingly good and meaningful music, deeply recommended to everyone.

Yes, it's very guuuuuuuu

Yes, it's very not bad wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NAAA NAAAA NAAAAAAAAAAAAA NA NA NA NAA NAAAAA!!!!!!!!

See, I can do it too! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote

Try again

Apparently your aesthetics relay has overheated again, Krytim! biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Watched RESCUE DAWN last night.

It was a decent film, not great by Herzog's standards but I did enjoy though the schmaltzy ending could have been junked and I though the feeze frame last image disappeared with the 1980's.

Try again

biggrin

Post of the week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Dark Passage, the 1947 film starring Bogart, Bacall, and Moorehead. The Waxman/Steiner score has never been given an official release.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Dark Passage, the 1947 film starring Bogart, Bacall, and Moorehead. The Waxman/Steiner score has never been given an official release.

Interesting, Tom. Did Waxman and Steiner collaborate on the score? I'd never heard of this! Do you have any more details?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    RV: No Country For Old Men
    More violent than I would have thought, but also quite a bit more clever, especially at the -quite universally (but in my opinion unfairly)- hated end.

Tommy Lee Jones is excellent as what essentially is the relic of a bygone era, a role which has very little emphasis and only becomes more pronounced towards the end. The supporting cast is universally good, even though Woody Harrelson pretty much does Woody Harrelson again, and with Javier Bardem a chilling stand-out as a psycho killer on par with the likes of Hannibal Lecter or Indio (from For A Few Dollars More).

**Slight spoilers**
    The first inkling that we aren't dealing with any properly sequenced crime-thriller is evidenced by the sheriff's visit to his dad's long-time deputy, who admonishes him that you shouldn't expect time and the world to be waiting for you to catch up. "That's just vanity".
    That the expected Sam Peckinpah-ish climactic shoot-out, which the film so very clearly works towards, actually is absent, and in fact the viewer is left with what may be described as a morally ambiguous and unsatisfactory end, may indeed be the power of the film...if you're open to it, because it certainly leaves a dramatic void!

Carter Burwell's understated score is functional in the film, but probably wouldn't yield much interesting on CD.

4 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Carter Burwell's understated score is functional in the film, but probably wouldn't yield much interesting on CD.

4 out of 5

Now, that's an understatement! In total, it's about 6 minutes. And that's including the endcredits. The complete score was leaked out from some kind of promo wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really?
    shocked

That's cleverly done: through the way the film was structured, the idea of a "twanging" soundtrack was ever-present (even though I did notice that -like in Sam Peckinpah films- none of the violent scenes were underscored). I have to admit not having paid too much attention to detail and analysis as I was with a cute girl smile

My score incidentally was for the film as a whole, not the soundtrack!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Try again

Apparently your aesthetics relay has overheated again, Krytim! biggrin

"Krytim?"....... cool beer

I was also known as "The Timinator" during a period of unbeaten pool run punk

Better than the Harry Enfield character 'Tim nice but dim' wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Really?
    shocked

That's cleverly done: through the way the film was structured, the idea of a "twanging" soundtrack was ever-present (even though I did notice that -like in Sam Peckinpah films- none of the violent scenes were underscored). I have to admit not having paid too much attention to detail and analysis as I was with a cute girl smile

Well, that's probably the best way to tell if a filmscore is well spotted or not; the fact that you didn't notice the absence of a score proves that it certainly didn't need one! In truth, the only moments there really was a score, were the opening moments and somewhere near the end, but you really have to pay attention to hear that one. For the rest of the film the Coen's played it blank. Funny how nobody ever mentions it, while everybody talked about the lack of score in Cloverfield... The endcredit cue (also heard in the trailer) is spot on, by the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008 edited
    Pirates of the caribbean At world's End

What a mess.... A big mess.

This saga could have been so magic and funny like Monkey Island, but it's not.

This part is so long and boring.... Predictible jokes, an unclear plots and subplots, no sense of adventure...But the worst thing is it is a material with a lot of posibilities, it could have been a great fantasy/adventure movie. (The Same could be said of National Treasure movies...)

Luckly We have some terrific moments:

The ship sailing in a sea of stars

the "up is down" moment

"I sea dead people" scene

the whole final battle

the way to end the love story...

THE MUSIC!
  1. NO COUNTRY actually has something like 12 minutes of music all up, including the credits. I've seen the film twice and I haven't noticed half of it! dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Really?
    shocked

Well, that's probably the best way to tell if a filmscore is well spotted or not; the fact that you didn't notice the absence of a score proves that it certainly didn't need one! In truth, the only moments there really was a score, were the opening moments and somewhere near the end, but you really have to pay attention to hear that one. For the rest of the film the Coen's played it blank. Funny how nobody ever mentions it, while everybody talked about the lack of score in Cloverfield... The endcredit cue (also heard in the trailer) is spot on, by the way.

Of course some people noticed its absence. I did. From the first 10 minutes or so, the sound of dry wind only started to irritate me a bit.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    Pirates of the caribbean At world's End

What a mess.... A big mess.

This saga could have been so magic and funny like Monkey Island, but it's not.

This part is so long and boring.... Predictible jokes, an unclear plots and subplots, no sense of adventure...But the worst thing is it is a material with a lot of posibilities, it could have been a great fantasy/adventure movie. (The Same could be said of National Treasure movies...)

Luckly We have some terrific moments:

The ship sailing in a sea of stars

the "up is down" moment

"I sea dead people" scene

the whole final battle

the way to end the love story...

THE MUSIC!

You said it man, all those moments are indeed good, but the entire film is one long drag apart for these moments

man why make it so goddamn hard and full with these political plots, if you can create such a fun movie as the first

ah well, at least the music is the best of the three wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    man why make it so goddamn hard and full with these political plots, if you can create such a fun movie as the first

I´ve always wondered if the kids (the target audience of the saga) really understood a thing of the three films. Why twisting and retwisting so much the plot? This is particularly scandalous in the third film: I have to admit I got lost by the half of the film. Why they decided to create such a messy script instead of a plain and fun divertimento is something I will never understand.
    At least we have all the moments Jordi mentioned in his post.

Tommy_Boy wrote
    ah well, at least the music is the best of the three wink

Ditto. And the good thing for us score geeks is we don´t need a good film to enjoy good music.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008
    Watching a lot of television at the moment. Most of this stuff was probably on in the US months ago, but is only now finding its way through to us here in the backwaters.

Dexter - a bit gruesome, but enjoyable. Great main title theme by Rolfe Kent and underscoring by Daniel Licht. A CD would be fantastic.
    Dirty Sexy Money - one of those trashy shows where I feel I need to keep watching because even though I know it's rubbish, I want to know what happens.
    The Unit (season two) - can't believe this is from David Mamet, but it is sometimes very good (particularly when he writes or directs the episode, but that doesn't happen often, especially now in the second season)
    Heroes (season two) - the first episode of this was on the other day. What a load of rubbish it was, too. Much like Lost, I watch this out of morbid curiosity despite thinking it's dreadfully-written (those two shows could have been so good if they hadn't been written by idiots, the concepts are great) but this one was just stupid. I know season two is meant to be awful but I didn't expect it to be this bad.
    Mad Men - I love this. Seems to capture the right atmosphere very well. Really, really fine television.
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - this just finished. Enjoyed it more than I expected to. Look forward to the next series!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Heroes bores the bejesus out of me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Dexter - a bit gruesome, but enjoyable. Great main title theme by Rolfe Kent and underscoring by Daniel Licht. A CD would be fantastic.

In fact, it IS :
    http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Music-Tele … amp;sr=8-6

Southall wrote
    Heroes (season two) - the first episode of this was on the other day. What a load of rubbish it was, too.

I agree, even if it wasn´t worse (well, it couldn´t be) than season one, specially season´s one finale.

Southall wrote
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - this just finished. Enjoyed it more than I expected to. Look forward to the next series!

Too bad it was a shortened season.
    I liked the show, and I liked very much the shootout of the season finale with Johnny Cage´s "The Man Comes Around" in the background. It fits the visuals (and the story) like a glove.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Heroes (season two) - the first episode of this was on the other day. What a load of rubbish it was, too.

I agree, even if it wasn´t worse (well, it couldn´t be) than season one, specially season´s one finale.

Can anyone explain why the man (one of the brothers) who flew off at the end of the last season was back, with no explanation? Where did he come from?

I agree with you about The Man Comes Around - I've been listening to that song almost non-stop since watching that episode!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

Can anyone explain why the man (one of the brothers) who flew off at the end of the last season was back, with no explanation? Where did he come from?

I think they kinda explain it in episode 2 or 3 (it could be 4 or 5 though)....but I´ve totally forgotten it, so....better leave it here...

Southall wrote
    I agree with you about The Man Comes Around - I've been listening to that song almost non-stop since watching that episode!

Hehe...it happened the same to me after listening this song in the end credits of "Dawn of the Dead" (2004). I played it over and over again for days!
    It was a nice and pleasant surprise they used it in the finale of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cash's The Man Comes Around AGAIN? Is there anything it hasn't been used in yet? Sure, it's a nice song, but its overuse in other media is getting a senior position on the board of Cheese Inc. rolleyes

EDITED TO ADD:
    Actually, on second thought, I don't think it's even a very good song: it's overly dramatic imagery and semi-apocalyptic high horse lyrics get on my tits a bit.
  3. Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

As Marselus mentioned, I'd think that the re-appearance of the Petrelli brother will be explained at some point in the future.

The Season 2 opener of Heroes was better than I was led to expect from reading Season 2 reviews. I'm trying not to expect too much as the series is never going to approach the level the first series achieved.

As for being too much like Lost? Another reason I'm glad that I've not been sucked into that world.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Looking forward to tonight's Doctor Who. The Sontarans are back!! lick

I remember them way back when they first appeared (during the reign of the 3rd Doctor, Jon Pertwee). I'm hoping that this episode is going to be one of the good ones - the series so far has been a bit hit-and-miss.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What I like on TV at the mo...

My Name Is Earl

Family Guy
    re-runs

Heroes it's okay

Doctor Who

Not much else.

Oh, and come back Harry Hill's TV Burp.....bloody excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched Bird again, a Clint Eastwood directed film starring Forest Whitaker as Charlie "Yardbird" Parker and Diane Verona as Chan his wife. The music is mostly Parker material with very little material from Niehaus, bebop that has long since disappeared from the scene. Parker died at 34 from addiction to drugs and alcohol which caused ulcers, cirrhosis, and eventually heart failure. The telling line in the film is when the busy coroner is giving a brief description on the phone to the office and in his description of Parker says he is a male in his 60's! It is a longer watch at 180 minutes but if you enjoy that style of music at all and there is lots of it you'll enjoy the film. There are a lot of subtle references to jazz giants of the era and it is fun to look for them. While I'm not positive I think there is even a scene where Eastwood is in it uncredited as a taxi driver. You can see him in the rearview mirror. Fun to pick some of them out. In conclusion the man could play the sax.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Oh, and come back Harry Hill's TV Burp.....bloody excellent!

Definitely, I agree. ITV's only saving grace. It returns in the Autumn I think, when I won't even be in the country. sad