• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think if nothing else you'd have to admire the camerawork of MARIENBAD

I
    admire
    NOTHING
    about Marienbad.
    crazy

I wish each and every person involved in this movie until the 7th generation to be slowly talked to death by showroom dummies repeating themselves over and over and over again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just watching BBC 2's excellent series COAST which is a weelky journey around the entire British coastline, a fascinating, diverse and magnificent one at that.

It was nice to see the awesome Cadar Idris in North Wales, I spent 10 days hiking those wonderful mountains once and saw NOTHING! slant

Anyone ( Alan? Steven? ) catch who does the lovely orchestral score to this?

p.s. I do know that some source music is used, in this evenings there was Debussy's 'Engulfed Cathedral' and Ron Grainer's 'The Prisoner' ( during a visit to Port Merrion where it was filmed smile ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote

It was nice to see the awesome Cadar Idris in North Wales, I spent 10 days hiking those wonderful mountains once and saw NOTHING! slant

You should have opened your eyes :groan:

p.s. I do know that some source music is used, in this evenings there was Debussy's 'Engulfed Cathedral' and Ron Grainer's 'The Prisoner' ( during a visit to Port Merrion where it was filmed smile ).

I've heard john williams music in it before as well, it might all be source!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Timmer wrote

No, there's a lot of recurring themes that are used week after week.

As for Cader idris, well, it was a bit of a horror show really, the weather was shit for the entire time and on the peak of every mountain we climbed we couldn't see more than 10-15 feet in front of us, maybe I should tell the story sometime, it's quite "entertaining" in a 'let's rub toilet bleach into our eyes' kind of way.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I forgot to mention that I saw CLOVERFIELD in the cinema last weekend. The film was fine, and the hand-held camera thing was a neat, realistic touch.

HOWEVER, I became PHYSICALLY NAUSEAUS (sp.?) from the shaky cam and was SO close in leaving the theater to throw up at least three times! There were others who left before me who obviously felt the same. It didn't help that I had eaten chocolate, caramels and used snus (a particular type of tobacco that you put under your lip that we only have in Scandinavia....I'm used to it, but it still affects the stomach). I think it had a stronger physiological effect on me because it was on the big screen. I'm not sure I would have felt quite as bad if I'd seen it on TV.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    I HATE "shaky cam" work that seems to also be over much TV work too these days slant
  2. Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Timmer wrote

I know that Alan Parker composed the theme for the programme but I can't recall who the day-to-day composer for the episode music was. I would have looked at the name at the time but I don't think that the name was too familiar.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008 edited
    Thanks Alan.

My pet hate at the moment is End Credits being squeezed to one side of the screen so they can advertise the up-coming program with some idiot talking all over it, happens with films too! rolleyes slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Heiress is the original filming of the James novel Washington Square starring Olivia DeHaviland and Montgomery Clift, directed by William Wyler, with music by Copland for which he won an Oscar. Great music save one thing. There is no reconstruction or OST.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

I wish I'd watched this. My school owned a property at the foot of Cadar Idris and I spent many, many happy days there as a boy. I've been back a few times since - not as frequently as I would like - it's a stunning part of the world.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I wish I'd watched this. My school owned a property at the foot of Cadar Idris and I spent many, many happy days there as a boy. I've been back a few times since - not as frequently as I would like - it's a stunning part of the world.

I'm sure it's repeated, just not sure when?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    Watched The Taking Of Pelham 123 earlier this evening on TV, it's been a long time and I'd almost forgotten just how brilliant it is with it's superb casting, cracking dialogue and superb David Shire score.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008 edited
    10.000 BC

I enjoyed al lot all the Emmerich movies, even if they was stupid.

But this one....It's really, really bad. But really , really bad. God....really, really Bad.

Marselus and me (or Is Marselus and I? ) we laught when we knew Kloser was also Writting this movie.... and We were right.

He is worst writter than composer!

Oh...I forgot something....

The best of this movie...

I saw indy 4 trailer in the big screen with the spanish voice of Indy ( I know...I like see movies in his original versions, but this voice, this hat are a bit of my youth! )
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's Marselus and I, but it sounds stupid, even I'd Marselus and me. wink

Your English is perfect for the rest of it though. biggrin wink
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    On yesterday's Columbo, Billy Connolly played a film composer who turned to murder when his dark secret was about to be exposed.

In the story, his creative juices had begun to dry up five years previously. At that time, he met a young wannabe film composer and took him on as his apprentice. The apprentice eventually began writing Connoly's character's scores for him, albeit without credit. However, when the youngster threateneds to tell all, the composer turns to murder.

The interesting part is watching recording sessions - albeit fake - and the talk Connoly gives to Columbo regarding the importance of film music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    It's Marselus and I, but it sounds stupid, even I'd Marselus and me. wink

Your English is perfect for the rest of it though. biggrin wink

Really? dizzy

I'd read it again. wink

Forgive me Jordi, you're English is far farrrrrrrr better than my Spanish cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    djdave wrote
    On yesterday's Columbo, Billy Connolly played a film composer who turned to murder when his dark secret was about to be exposed.

In the story, his creative juices had begun to dry up five years previously. At that time, he met a young wannabe film composer and took him on as his apprentice. The apprentice eventually began writing Connoly's character's scores for him, albeit without credit. However, when the youngster threateneds to tell all, the composer turns to murder.

The interesting part is watching recording sessions - albeit fake - and the talk Connoly gives to Columbo regarding the importance of film music.

Yeah, I saw that.

Peter Falk is pretty much the crumbling detective in these more "recent" series, he's almost turned in to papyrus. The quality isn't as great as the superb 1970's series.

Connoly looked like Michael Kamen. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think if nothing else you'd have to admire the camerawork of MARIENBAD

I
    admire
    NOTHING
    about Marienbad.
    crazy

I wish each and every person involved in this movie until the 7th generation to be slowly talked to death by showroom dummies repeating themselves over and over and over again.

biggrin
    It's an art film, you need to see watch it on a more conceptual en intelectual level and with other standards and expectations than regular films. Nevertheless I was a bit bored too rolleyes

Watched THE RING finally. An ok movie. Well crafted and suspensefull until it starts dragging to the end and you realise that the film makes no sense at all. I didn't noticed outstanding music either.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Watched The Taking Of Pelham 123 earlier this evening on TV, it's been a long time and I'd almost forgotten just how brilliant it is with it's superb casting, cracking dialogue and superb David Shire score.

cool

It was on at such a daft time. It would have made more sense putting Terminator 3 in this earlier slot and shifting Pelham 1-2-3 to T3's later slot. rolleyes

Anyway, as it turned out, I missed both of them.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Timmer wrote
    djdave wrote

Yeah, I saw that.

Peter Falk is pretty much the crumbling detective in these more "recent" series, he's almost turned in to papyrus. The quality isn't as great as the superb 1970's series.

Connoly looked like Michael Kamen. wink

I saw a bit of this episode too. Unfortunately, it was the last 15 minutes!

I'm sure that Kamen would have been the better actor. I've not seen Connolly in many film roles but what I saw in Columbo was pretty similar to how he played his character in A Series of Unfortunate Events.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

It was on at such a daft time. It would have made more sense putting Terminator 3 in this earlier slot and shifting Pelham 1-2-3 to T3's later slot. rolleyes

Anyway, as it turned out, I missed both of them.

Have you seen 'Pelham 123' before Alan?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I pretty much love anything with Robert Shaw in it.
    Gone FAR too soon. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008 edited
    Saw RAMBO IV yesterday. It's been a long time since I've seen so much gore, but it was appropriate, somehow. I loved the balance of the serious and visceral "war sucks" theme with a less realistic, but enjoyable "Rambo kicks ass!". I think it's the best film since the first one.

I must say that I was incredibly impressed by Stallone's shape, though. 60 years old and still looking as strong as ever. The extra wrinkles gave him an extra "tough guy"/man you don't want to meet in dark alley-look that made all the other SAS soldiers seem like school kids in comparison.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I was watching Rambo 2 the other day. The final scene is completly over the top.

''What you wanna do, John?''

''Fuck 'em''.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I pretty much love anything with Robert Shaw in it.
    Gone FAR too soon. sad

Me too! smile

He was only in his early 50's when he died in 1978 but boy did he have some stand out roles...A Man For All Seasons, 'Red Grant' one of the most memorable Bond villains in From Russia With Love, and, of course, The Sting.

He was also rather good in a long forgotten shark related film too!? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008 edited
    Spent my Friday evening watching these two - very different - films in a row:

* MR. AND MRS. SMITH

Pretty slick action movie, cool premise, but some cheap narrative solutions. I DID like the chemistry between the real-life film couple, though.

* THE WARRIOR (the Indian film, not the New Zealand thing)

Absolutely gorgeous film, kind of Kurosawa meets Ray. Marinelli's moody score was pretty good too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008

Not I, but someone else apparently did; i just laughed my ass off reading him biggrin

http://www.mountainx.com/movies/review/10000_bc
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008

"This is like Uwe Boll with a budget" biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008 edited
    EASTERN PROMISES

Film-making at its best, armed with an incredibly captivating performance by Viggo Mortensen. Despite the somewhat weak and abrupt ending, this is an eerie masterpiece with a tight storyline and impressive performances. Vincent Cassel's troubled character was very convincing and effective as well but the biggest surprise of all was Armin Mueller-Stahl's tremendous performance as the 'evil Godfather', the man who knows no limits. Naomi Watts on the other hand was particularly cold and 'outta there', but truth to be told and to her credit, all of them were somewhat all shadowed by the vastly superior and breathtaking acting of Viggo Mortensen;

The violence is moderate but shockingly realistic and in your face and the music by Howard Shore - although extremely limited in use in comparison to the score CD, singularly enhances the visuals and storyline tremendously. The lush and beautifully melancholic violin soli underline the movie's dramatic tone and also add to the overall color of elegance and class that dominates this whole movie; don't miss out, this is not the kind of movie you'll watch again soon enough.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    Just watched Earth - quite magnificent.

I think everything is taken straight from the tv show, but it's arranged well into a very good film. The environmental message is hammered home a lot harder here than it was on television, but most of the narration is identical too (though delivered by Patrick Stewart and not David Attenborough).

George Fenton's music is as soaring and impressive as ever. Strangely, the main theme from the tv series isn't used at all, but most of the music is familiar, though rearranged and played by the Berlin Philharmonic. There's a nice new piano theme that bookends the film, and I think some other new moments too, so a CD would be more than welcome.

I could sit and watch this over from the start, right now.