• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008
    Steven wrote
    Michael Clayton | Tony Gilroy

Slow. And a bit boring.

Nice script, cleverly structured, very fine performances (the films saving grace to a degree)... but it was directed with very little flare. I found the whole thing static and I just couldn't care less about the story. JNH's truly awful score didn't help matters, I can't believe it got nominated for an Oscar!? If ever there was an example of the Oscars being about politics...

Big disappointment, especially after seeing American Gangster - which I'll be watching again with my peeps at uni. Now that's a great film! lick

Hmmmmm?

I've only seen the first 50 minutes of this film ( it was a rental so badly scratched that I got refunded + another film ) and it didn't exactly grab me?

Any other viewpoints, shall I bother to rent it again?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008
    If you didn't like the first 50 minutes, I don't think you'd like the next hour or so. I sat through it because I enjoyed Clooney's performance... but that's it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008 edited
    Michael Clayton (Gilroy)

I liked it.

Great performance from George Clooney, I even liked more his performance than the more "oscar-like " performance by Wilkinson. I never expected that from Clooney.

The movie has the typical Sodenberg style. I think this style is pretensious and unnecessary, but this movie did the job for me. Maybe Because I love lawyer movies ( For this reason I studied for 3 years this career)

Attention to the final Shot in the taxi.....
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008
    Haven't managed to watch it on my fat-off surround speakers and hi-def set, but I plan to watch Mission Impossible 3 this afternoon. Can't wait for the sonic rumble of "Hunting For Jules" and "Bridge Battle". punk
  1. Just saw Million Dollar Baby

My god, what a brilliant film. Performances, story, and above all the depth in the words is phenomenal. I was completely blown away by it shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Just saw Million Dollar Baby

My god, what a brilliant film. Performances, story, and above all the depth in the words is phenomenal. I was completely blown away by it shocked

Indeed. and the score worked wonders in the film, didn't it?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Haven't managed to watch it on my fat-off surround speakers and hi-def set, but I plan to watch Mission Impossible 3 this afternoon. Can't wait for the sonic rumble of "Hunting For Jules" and "Bridge Battle". punk

M:I 3 is one of the best action movies from the last 20 years. M:I is another one....

Talking about it....I bouht M:I 2cd special edition some days ago! Finally a better realease of one of the best Depalma's movies!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    If you didn't like the first 50 minutes, I don't think you'd like the next hour or so. I sat through it because I enjoyed Clooney's performance... but that's it.

I won't be rushing to rent it again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Indeed. and the score worked wonders in the film, didn't it?

well I think it worked wonders because it was a very restraint score, and so were the performances of Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Talking about it....I bouht M:I 2cd special edition some days ago! Finally a better realease of one of the best Depalma's movies!

I wouldn't say it's one of De Palma's best movies but it's very well-done. Hard to believe things went from that to stuff as awe-inspiringly awful as the other two films in the series.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

M:I 3 is one of the best action movies from the last 20 years. M:I is another one....

Definitely one of his most forgettable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008 edited
    Superman: The Movie (Special Edition), saw this again with the parents, for me the best superhero film ever (especially when watched along with the second), brilliantly acted, well written and full of wit and humour, and including one of Mr. Williams best scores, this one has me getting goosebumps from start to finish and really believing a man can fly. No other superhero movie comes close in terms of emotional engagement.

Ratatouille: Holy Moly, this is one incredible experience on Blu Ray, an entertaining tale of a rat that wants to be a chef and has a crazy adventure trying to convince the people around him he has a remarkable talent. Wonderful and inventive animation and story by the guys and gals at Pixar, they remain the masters at their craft. Makes it even more spectacular when watched in hi-def.

Tommy_Boy wrote

Yay, good you finally got to see this great film, if I ever wanted a fight between Rocky and Maggie (Hillary Swank's character) I know who should win. An unexpected ending as well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Superman: The Movie (Special Edition), saw this again with the parents, for me the best superhero film ever (especially when watched along with the second), brilliantly acted, well written and full of wit and humour, and including one of Mr. Williams best scores, this one has me getting goosebumps from start to finish and really believing a man can fly. No other superhero movie comes close in terms of emotional engagement.

Ratatouille: Holy Moly, this is one incredible experience on Blu Ray, an entertaining tale of a rat that wants to be a chef and has a crazy adventure trying to convince the people around him he has a remarkable talent. Wonderful and inventive animation and story by the guys and gals at Pixar, they remain the masters at their craft. Makes it even more spectacular when watched in hi-def.

Tommy_Boy wrote

Yay, good you finally got to see this great film, if I ever wanted a fight between Rocky and Maggie (Hillary Swank's character) I know who should win. An unexpected ending as well.

Well well well, he liked Ratatouille wink
    Now all the rest of Pixar and I'm happy wink
  4. Hey c'mon I enjoyed a Bug's Life and The Incredibles, and Toy Story I think but that was long ago...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Hey c'mon I enjoyed [...] The Incredibles...

Well yeah, it's a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote

Agreed. It's one hell of an experience on Blu-Ray, the finest demonstration-quality disc I have. In fact, the quality is so good, it's far more enjoyable than going to the cinema now I think. I can fart and pick my nose at will, go to the toilet whenever I want, and have a cold drink virtually for free instead of needing to take out a loan against my house to finance the purchase of one.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Hey c'mon I enjoyed a Bug's Life and The Incredibles, and Toy Story I think but that was long ago...

True, but you gotta see Toy Story 2, so much better than Tory Story. And Monster's Inc is funny and charming wink

All I'll rent it for you one time smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    Been to the cinema 3 times in one week! Which is great for me, because i've always wanted to be a regular movie-goer smile

First, saw Juno, not bad. Not my kind of film but I enjoyed it. Good music choices too.
    Unfortunately not so satisfied with the last two viewings, Jumper and Meet the Spartans. Jumper was a let down in my eyes, and Meet the Spartans, well... Wow... I was against seeing it in the first place, and walked out half way through. God I hate immature, chavvy comedies (hopefully fellow British people here can relate to this wink)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John wrote
    Been to the cinema 3 times in one week! Which is great for me, because i've always wanted to be a regular movie-goer smile

First, saw Juno, not bad. Not my kind of film but I enjoyed it. Good music choices too.
    Unfortunately not so satisfied with the last two viewings, Jumper and Meet the Spartans. Jumper was a let down in my eyes, and Meet the Spartans, well... Wow... I was against seeing it in the first place, and walked out half way through. God I hate immature, chavvy comedies (hopefully fellow British people here can relate to this wink)

YEAP! rolleyes

Surely you should have known better than to go see Meet The Spartans? These kind of movies are lazy and have been done to death.
  6. The Dreamlife of Angels (Erick Zonca)

The Sand Pebbles (Robert Wise)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Watched STARDUST at a friends house earlier, what a pile of pants ( Steven, I feel sorry for you watching this on the big screen ) but my mates kids loved it.

Steven wrote
    THANK YOU TIM!!! kiss beer

Finally someone else sees what a piece of garbage this film is! cheesy

Jeez.
    rolleyes
    Only goes to show again that Brits have no sense of humour.
    Or style.
    Or breakfast, for that matter.

But I do wish they kept in the line from the original novel, where the star falls down:
    And there was a voice, a high clear female voice, which said, "Ow," and then, very quietly, it said "fuck" and then it said "Ow," once more.

In its setting, that little anachronism I think would have been fantastically funny. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    Timmer wrote

YEAP! rolleyes

Surely you should have known better than to go see Meet The Spartans? These kind of movies are lazy and have been done to death.

That's what I said. God, this is going to be immature. Luckily they agreed afterward. I mean, take Naked Gun for instance, I love it, but it's a different sort of comedy, more mature, even if the jokes are stupid. That was just immature, chavvy, hard to describe... Pitiful?

No surprise a group of loud chavs came in to watch it too, singing the music very loudly to the Indiana Jones during the trailer. Strange how they shut up when a mother and daughter came in. They must fear parents. Maturity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008 edited
    * ENDURING LOVE

Wow, this is a little gem of a movie. A character piece that could almost be a stageplay, yet with the often-used stalker/thriller element intervowen. Plus lots of philosophical talk that never becomes clichée. Brilliant performances by Daniel Craig, Samantha Morton and that guy who played the crazy flatmate in NOTTING HILL whose name I can't remember. Very good score too. Love the larger-than-life, melodramatic music that plays while.....SPOILER AHEAD....Craig "cracks the code". We all know - or at least are fairly confident - that he's right, but the music underlines how he comes off to HER, i.e. as someone who has flipped. SPOILER END.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Southall wrote
    In fact, the quality is so good, it's far more enjoyable than going to the cinema now I think. I can fart and pick my nose at will, go to the toilet whenever I want, and have a cold drink virtually for free instead of needing to take out a loan against my house to finance the purchase of one.

Hey that's exactly why I'm going less and less to the theater... It just gets incredibly expensive (counting everything it's about half of the price of a blu ray disc which you can view over and over, cinema it's only once) and I can just watch it in equal / better circumstances at home. I mean if my sound setup wasn't so good, I could never enjoy these movies like I did in the theater, and besides there's always some ignorant stupid kids that just can't stop talking / laughing / gigling / acting silly throughout the picture, they even laugh during downright sad emotional moments. I simply don't have THAT at home...
  8. Thor wrote
    * ENDURING LOVE

Wow, this is a little gem of a movie. A character piece that could almost be a stageplay, yet with the often-used stalker/thriller element intervowen. Plus lots of philosophical talk that never becomes clichée. Brilliant performances by Daniel Craig, Samantha Morton and that guy who played the crazy flatmate in NOTTING HILL whose name I can't remember. Very good score too. Love the larger-than-life, melodramatic music that plays while.....SPOILER AHEAD....Craig "cracks the code". We all know - or at least are fairly confident - that he's right, but the music underlines how he comes off to HER, i.e. as someone who has flipped. SPOILER END.

I like this movie a lot. The opening sequence in the common is one of the best 7 minutes in a recent film. And as you say, marvelous score that moves nicely between atonality and more pastoral material. The night time scene is one of those very frustrating scenes where a hero doesn't help his own case. I reviewed the CD here:
    http://www.musicweb-international.com/f … glove.html

I like the way Craig entertains the obsession of Ifans through a misunderstanding of sorts. He thinks Ifans wants to talk about 'who let go' and how he's affected by the accident. Ifans mistakes this willingness to talk as consent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008
    True.

SPOILER AHEAD....

Another thing that struck me was the "nerve" throughout. You're never sure when things are going to explode (Craig is handling a baby after he has beaten up Ifans, when are they going to let go of the balloon?, when is Ifans making his final "move" [notice that when he does, it's done without much hooplah; without any stingers], when is Craig finally going off his racket etc.). This prolongation of resolution is obviously a very effective narrative tool and probably also the reasons why I thought "stageplay" so many times during this film.

SPOILER END.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. The only thing that bothered me stylistically about the film was the use of a weird mix of sped-up footage and low shutter speeds when Craig rushed in his car to get home towards the end of the film. Felt a little extraneous to the style they'd established in the rest of the story.

One scene I've shown a lot in classes on ways to show people communicating with sounds other than speech is the 'dialogue' scene about halfway through the film where a couple communicate entirely through the enthusiasm with which they crunch their food, a birthday dinner that doesn't end happily.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    The only thing that bothered me stylistically about the film was the use of a weird mix of sped-up footage and low shutter speeds when Craig rushed in his car to get home towards the end of the film. Felt a little extraneous to the style they'd established in the rest of the story.

I thought that was kinda cool - both the slo-mo and the "camera on the shoulder of Craig" thing. If there was ONE point in the film where this kind of stylistic deadline drama was called for, it was this. At this point, Craig is more or less "back to normal" and it simply wouldn't have had the same impact if done more conventionally. Besides, there were quite a few stylistic touches throughout that allowed "room" for such a sequence.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Yeah, I can't say it bothered me hugely, but I would have preferred they'd done the abstraction in the sound rather than the picture. It's a technique I've seen in a few other films (I think Spike Lee has used it), and so it sort of came with that baggage.

There is this great edit quite early in the film where - wedged in between two other scenes - you see a side-on wide shot of the man falling from the balloon. It's one of a number of cutaways that happen throughout the first half of the film. It can't be more than a second, but it helps keep you feeling like you're inside Craig's state of mind. Amazing what an edit can do.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yeah, I can't say it bothered me hugely, but I would have preferred they'd done the abstraction in the sound rather than the picture. It's a technique I've seen in a few other films (I think Spike Lee has used it), and so it sort of came with that baggage.

There is this great edit quite early in the film where - wedged in between two other scenes - you see a side-on wide shot of the man falling from the balloon. It's one of a number of cutaways that happen throughout the first half of the film. It can't be more than a second, but it helps keep you feeling like you're inside Craig's state of mind. Amazing what an edit can do.

Very true! The whole opening sequence is stunning and took me completely by surprise. Very good film and great score by Jeremy Sams too.