• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011
    Glazunov Symphony No. 2. This a volume of six CD's from Warner Brothers/Svetlanov estate that released the 8 symphonies. It is a smooth lacking the fire of a digitally recorded one but Svetlanov understood his countrymen quite well.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OPERA SAUVAGE (Vangelis)

Great, moody album from the late 70's. A couple of classic tracks too, like "L'Enfant" and "Hymne".
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    So, Thor, are you going to check out some of Oldfield's albums? Far better and more interesting than a lot of the film music shite that's currently going on.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    So, Thor, are you going to check out some of Oldfield's albums? Far better and more interesting than a lot of the film music shite that's currently going on.

I am. Spotify is genius in that regard.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    I'm beginning work on the new Delos release of Shostakovich Film Music Volume 5. I'm so impressed with what he was able to accomplish under the thumb of Stalin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmmm....Timmer, neither of those albums you recommended are available on Spotify, musicme.com or other streaming sites (at least not in full). Guess I'm stuck with the occasional youtube video.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE VIRGIN YEARS 1974-1978 (Tangerine Dream)

Their most experimental period. Truly something to get lost in (in a positive sense).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Hmmm....Timmer, neither of those albums you recommended are available on Spotify, musicme.com or other streaming sites (at least not in full). Guess I'm stuck with the occasional youtube video.

I'm sure I can sort you something soon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    I'm beginning work on the new Delos release of Shostakovich Film Music Volume 5. I'm so impressed with what he was able to accomplish under the thumb of Stalin.

The first soundtrack for a sound picture that Shostakovich did was for a propoganda film Golden Hills about a peasant who goes to the city and becomes a revolutionary. Compared to what Hollywood had as far as music was concerned in 1931 this is so far superior.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011 edited
    NP: AUTOBAHN (Kraftwerk)

Classic album by the electronica pioneers, esp. the 23-minute title track.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011
    Thor wrote
    NP: AUTOBAHN (Kraftwerk)

Classic album by the electronica pioneers, esp. the 23-minute title track.

I loved this album years and years ago, I'm not sure how much I would play it now though? ( I still have the LP )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love Kraftwerk, but only in smaller doses. You should dig it out and give it another shot.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote

The first soundtrack for a sound picture that Shostakovich did was for a propoganda film Golden Hills about a peasant who goes to the city and becomes a revolutionary. Compared to what Hollywood had as far as music was concerned in 1931 this is so far superior.
    Thomas smile

Tom, I am assuming that Golden Hills is the same score as what I called Golden Mountains as my favourite score choice for 1932?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I love Kraftwerk, but only in smaller doses. You should dig it out and give it another shot.

I'm very familiar with the album but you're right, I should dig it out and see if the love is still there? It's a strange thing, how certain albums become timeless and a love for them never deminishes and yet, others you move away from; I'll always have a nostalgic love but not necessarily that certain touch of magic it could make you feel.....am I making sense? I can feel myself wording this very clumsily dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm very familiar with the album but you're right, I should dig it out and see if the love is still there? It's a strange thing, how certain albums become timeless and a love for them never deminishes and yet, others you move away from; I'll always have a nostalgic love but not necessarily that certain touch of magic it could make you feel.....am I making sense? I can feel myself wording this very clumsily dizzy

No, I understand what you mean. But in my experience, this goes in phases. For many years, I didn't really listen to my childhood favourites very much (Supertramp, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Jarre etc.), but then suddenly I get an urge to play them again, and then I can't let them go for a period of time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, but I think we all go through phases, awhile back I played Dire Straits 'Love Over Gold' and I found it tedious to get through and yet I played it to death when I first got it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Tom, I am assuming that Golden Hills is the same score as what I called Golden Mountains as my favourite score choice for 1932?

100% correct Alan. Am listening to the Fugue as I type. These (5) volumes of his film music are great and there is more material to come in the future. We might just have a somewhat complete collection of material when they are finished. I can only ponder at what he could do today but then again the thumb of Hollywood might be even stronger than Stalin?
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HUMAN'S LIB (Howard Jones)

Cool electropop album from 83 before he went all mushy. Btw, can you sense a trend in my listening habits recently? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, they're getting very bad! tongue wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

100% correct Alan. Am listening to the Fugue as I type. These (5) volumes of his film music are great and there is more material to come in the future. We might just have a somewhat complete collection of material when they are finished. I can only ponder at what he could do today but then again the thumb of Hollywood might be even stronger than Stalin?
    Thomas smile

He'd be a giant amongst pygmies!

I'd like to think that someone of his magnitude would find a working relationship ala Spielberg/Williams where being pressured to write a MV/RC power anthem doesn't factor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, they're getting very bad!

Smartypants! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011
    NP: CONSTELLATION (Klaus Doldinger)

Great electronica/jazz-type album from 1983.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Thomas smile

He'd be a giant amongst pygmies!

I'd like to think that someone of his magnitude would find a working relationship ala Spielberg/Williams where being pressured to write a MV/RC power anthem doesn't factor.

If he had gone to Hollywood during his lifetime he would have dealt with Zanuck, Warner, Goldwyn, Selznick, and others. His music would have gone right over their $$$ brains.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Listening to The Tale of the Priest and His Worker Balda. This was his first animated film and it is available to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balda for download. This is also on the same album.
    Thomas
  1. sdtom wrote
    Listening to The Tale of the Priest and His Worker Balda. This was his first animated film and it is available to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balda for download. This is also on the same album.
    Thomas

Listening to the clips for this one Tom, it sounds a bit "mickey-mousy". Is that true of the whole listen?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. ALL YOU NEED IS NOW - DURAN DURAN

Their latest album, being a fan of them when I was ye high I've never stopped liking their music, however I was more than a bit surprised when I found out they're back and released this album, their latest. I'm just dumbstruck at how it sounds exactly like their 80s stuff. I'm loving it, full of catchy uptempo songs and some great ballads as well. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RUBYCON (Tangerine Dream)

Far out, man!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Listening to the clips for this one Tom, it sounds a bit "mickey-mousy". Is that true of the whole listen?

You know that it is not true of The Golden Mountains. Does your version have the organ fugue? The Chandos doesn't include this important part. Also do you have the song from Golden Mountains?
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    Upcoming for next month will be a review of the duo piano version of The Planets. I still have yet to find the words to describe this Holst piece.
    Thomas
  3. sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

You know that it is not true of The Golden Mountains. Does your version have the organ fugue? The Chandos doesn't include this important part. Also do you have the song from Golden Mountains?
    Thomas

I know, Tom. I was referring to clips I had heard of The Tall Priest and His Servant Balda.

As for Golden Mountains, I only have what you have; the 6-track suite. Just to let you know, I have the Capriccio release of Golden Mountains.