• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011
    Shostakovich Symphony No. 1. This is an outstanding example of a great first effort.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2011 edited
    NP: HOLD THE LINE - THE BEST OF... (Toto)

Pretty good comp. I don't like everything they've done, but some songs are classics! John Williams' son sings on some of these.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2011
    They've done some pleasent tunes but it's not something I would purposefully play.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : GONG - Poul Ruders

A Danish composer, this piece is about the life cycle of the sun ending with it turning into a white dwarf, it's large orchestral forces and reminds me of the work of Olivier Messien, interesting textures and orchestration but saying I like it would be pushing it.

Martijn, you'd HATE it. wink

Would I like it?
    Thomas smile

I have no idea Tom, it's not easy listening, very Olivier Messien-like, as said above, kind of Sibelius on acid.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAY ON THESE ROADS - a-ha

A really fine pop album, these guys could definitely write good tunes. The real downside on this album is The Living Daylights which sucks big ones though I'm sure Thor will disagree, it sounds very bland without John Barry's arrangement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAY ON THESE ROADS - a-ha

A really fine pop album, these guys could definitely write good tunes. The real downside on this album is The Living Daylights which sucks big ones though I'm sure Thor will disagree, it sounds very bland without John Barry's arrangement.

Great album! You're right, though, I vastly prefer this version of TLD over the film version. Nothing to do with Barry, really, just that I prefer it in its more hardcore electropop mode.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I love a-ha !!!! I have their best of CD (Headlines and Deadlines) and I can't tell you the times I've listened to and sung along with it. Great tunes that never fail to excite me.

All I hear on the radio these days is 'Take on Me' but they've done so many other stuff that's just as good. punk

I think the version of TLD on the compilation is the one with the JB arrangement because it sounds awesome!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sibelius on acid???
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Sibelius on acid???

Never heard a-ha described that way, but sure...why not? biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Sibelius on acid???

A bad description, Sibelius if he'd stopped writing melodies and chose abstract textures and sounds? I'm not good at describing these things.
  2. Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Sibelius on acid???

That wasn't about a-ha though wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Sibelius on acid???

I know. Sometimes, Tom's lack of proper quoting results in funny misunderstandings.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Sibelius on acid???

I know. Sometimes, Tom's lack of proper quoting results in funny misunderstandings.

I assume you know what I'm thinking cheesy

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Glazunov Symphony No. 5. I pulled it out because he was on my mind knowing he was a teacher of Tiomkin and I just finished a review of Lost Horizon etc. This version is Svetlanov conducting the Russian State Orchestra. While these don't have the best audio the playing and conducting are superb.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Arrigo Boito's Mefistofele (Prologue). This is music that makes me happy in my pants! punk punk punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kya45OICwIw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_WTH0wZJVs

CK
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011 edited
    NP: SINE LANGUAGE (The Crystal Method)

Their latest remix CD (2010) retains their funky "acid" beats, but some of the vocals are a bit disappointing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011
    Thor wrote

Their latest remix CD (2010) retains their funky "acid" beats, but some of the vocals are a bit disappointing.

Yet another one for me to avoid
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote

Yet another one for me to avoid

Probably, yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We agree coming from a person who has never seen MTV
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INCANTATIONS - Mike Oldfield

One of my all time favourite albums, absolutely brilliant, the man IS a genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    never listened to it
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    never listened to it

It's very good music Tom, some really good orchestral parts too courtesy of David Bedford ( you remember his Symphony # 1 ), I wouldn't say it's not worth your time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011 edited
    NP : PLATINUM - Mike Oldfield

Most excellent!

This album always takes me back to Kathmandu, I know it's not the kind of music you'd associate with such an exotic place but I used to hear this a lot in a favourite cafe I frequented there, drinking coffee and writing postcards home love :nostalgia:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2011
    NP : MELODY A.M. - Royksopp

A gorgeous album, perfect for this sunny Sunday, as a chill album this is right up there with the best of Zero 7 and Air and the like, I just can't believe it's been so long since I listened to this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Send me a clip
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Send me a clip

Will this do Tom?

INCANTATIONS PART 1
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Send me a clip

Will this do Tom?

INCANTATIONS PART 1

Don't know about Tom, but I loved that track! The only thing I previously owned from this album was "Part 4" as featured on the uneven, but good compilation ELEMENTS. I say uneven because I can't stand the Bonnie Tyler vocals (e.g. "Islands"), and Maggie Riley is a bit hit & miss.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you too Thor, it's not a style of vocals I like.

You should start checking out some of Oldfield's full albums, as I said above, Incantations is wonderful but I'd also highly ( very highly ) recommend Hergest Ridge ( they didn't IMO, even put the best bits on ELEMENTS ), Ommadawn and Platinum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote

I think a Deluxe Edition of this is on the way this year. Great album!

NP: Hambledon Hill - Tim Souster
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think a Deluxe Edition of this is on the way this year. Great album!

NP: Hambledon Hill - Tim Souster

There's a deluxe version of Hergest Ridge which I've yet to get but I will.