• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. plindboe wrote
    I have been thinking... It's not so much of an annoyance but more one of complete bafflement. Can anyone explain to me why the traditional design of bathroom sinks has this tiny faucet so close to the edge that you can barely wash your hands without bumping into the edge of the sink and you can't put your head under the faucet to wash your hair?

Surely one would think that bathroom sinks over time would evolve into a shape that reflects bathroom sink activities.

I really don't get stuff like this.

Peter confused

Along similar lines, can anyone explain to me why sinks in the UK continue to get made with separate hot and cold water taps? I could maybe understand that sort of thing in an old building where the two get piped through separate systems, but it's such a wildly impractical system that I just can't fathom why a building built in 2009 (my dorm last year) would still do it. Or maybe I just have this bizarre preference for washing my hands and doing the dishes in water that isn't either icy cold or scaldingly hot, but rather somewhere in between (I know, weird isn't it). rolleyes confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013
    Sinks in the uk are retarded wink As for the close-distance, well maybe as humans we are slowly becoming midgets or secretly run by midgets without realizing it yet? biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013
    I wash my hands and brush my teeth in the sink. The rest I do in the shower.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013
    plindboe wrote
    I have been thinking... It's not so much of an annoyance but more one of complete bafflement. Can anyone explain to me why the traditional design of bathroom sinks has this tiny faucet so close to the edge that you can barely wash your hands without bumping into the edge of the sink and you can't put your head under the faucet to wash your hair?

Surely one would think that bathroom sinks over time would evolve into a shape that reflects bathroom sink activities.

Peter confused

I completely agree with you! A tap should be high enough and also be able to be moved from side to side, so you can put your head or a bucket under it or something. Like kitchen taps actually, they are high and movable. The photo of the tap you posted is extremely ridiculous indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    We have an older bathroom sink tap like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Washing hair in sink....must be a continental thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote

Peter confused

I agree, UK sinks are shite! I think there's a gap in the market for someone who's enterprising with cash backing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    Aren't you supposed to use the shower for that?

You sound like you've never had a busy morning in your life. wink

It's just quick and easy if you don't have time for a shower, and you don't want to have a bad hair day.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Along similar lines, can anyone explain to me why sinks in the UK continue to get made with separate hot and cold water taps? I could maybe understand that sort of thing in an old building where the two get piped through separate systems, but it's such a wildly impractical system that I just can't fathom why a building built in 2009 (my dorm last year) would still do it. Or maybe I just have this bizarre preference for washing my hands and doing the dishes in water that isn't either icy cold or scaldingly hot, but rather somewhere in between (I know, weird isn't it). rolleyes confused

I couldn't agree more. I've come across those sinks before, and it's like being back in the 1930s. It's as if these people don't even realize that one can mix the water to get a tolerable temperature. Truly bizarre.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    I wash my hands and brush my teeth in the sink. The rest I do in the shower.

Ewww! By "the rest" I hope you're not talking about all bathroom activities.

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregje wrote
    I completely agree with you! A tap should be high enough and also be able to be moved from side to side, so you can put your head or a bucket under it or something. Like kitchen taps actually, they are high and movable. The photo of the tap you posted is extremely ridiculous indeed.

A kindred spirit. beer

Unfortunately I have a tap pretty much like the one in the picture I posted. As a consequence I'm doing most of my bathroom activities in the kitchen (hair washing, hand washing and tooth brushing). It's nice when there's room enough for these things.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote
    Aren't you supposed to use the shower for that?

You sound like you've never had a busy morning in your life. wink

It's just quick and easy if you don't have time for a shower, and you don't want to have a bad hair day.

Peter smile

I find this very odd for some reason. But then, I am British (and no, I don't like our separate hot/cold taps).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013 edited
    I've never liked to use the sink for washing hair. Hairs clog up the pipes, whereas the shower actually has a system for that (can't believe we're discussing this....it's kinda gross). If I have a busy morning and don't have time for a full shower, I just put the head in there instead. Much faster than using a sink.

Bathroom sinks are for brushing teeth and washing hands, that's it. That's a rule! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    I've never liked to use the sink for washing hair. Hairs clog up the pipes, whereas the shower actually has a system for that (can't believe we're discussing this....it's kinda gross).

I'm pretty sure a drain in a sink will deal with hair just as a drain in a shower will. Anyway, you suddenly reminded me of this scene from Seinfeld. biggrin

Thor wrote
    If I have a busy morning and don't have time for a full shower, I just put the head in there instead. Much faster than using a sink.

But then one stands with the body bend at a 90 degree angle with nothing to lean on while having to hold the shower head that squirts water everywhere in one hand and the shampoo bottle in the other. You'd need five arms to do it efficiently.

Thor wrote
    Bathroom sinks are for brushing teeth and washing hands, that's it. That's a rule! smile

If that's a rule, I must be a rebel.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote
    If I have a busy morning and don't have time for a full shower, I just put the head in there instead. Much faster than using a sink.

But then one stands with the body bend at a 90 degree angle with nothing to lean on while having to hold the shower head that squirts water everywhere in one hand and the shampoo bottle in the other. You'd need five arms to do it efficiently.

I think that's why it works so well for five-armed Thor!
  2. I hate busy morings. I much rather rise 20 minutes earlier, so that I have enough time to shower and have a decent breakfast.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    I think that's why it works so well for five-armed Thor!

Ahh, I've always wondered why people call him that...

Peter cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    I hate busy morings. I much rather rise 20 minutes earlier, so that I have enough time to shower and have a decent breakfast.

Volker

I prefer waking in a decent time, then hitting the snooze button, then going back to sleep for 20 minutes, then snooze button, then sleep, snooze button, sleep, then going in a panic when I realize what time it is, so I'll have to leave without eating breakfast, wash my hair in the sink and run out the door with my arms waving in the air.

Ok, I don't really prefer that, it's just how my mornings tend to turn out.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote
    I've never liked to use the sink for washing hair. Hairs clog up the pipes, whereas the shower actually has a system for that (can't believe we're discussing this....it's kinda gross).

I'm pretty sure a drain in a sink will deal with hair just as a drain in a shower will.

No, a shower drain has a 'catcher', is usually wider with easier flow for just those kinds of purposes. You would need to 'un-clog' a shower drain once in a while too, but not as often as the sink if you're using it for hair. Cleaning one's hair in the sink is disgusting, IMO.

And yes....this DOES sound like a SEINFELD discussion. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Perhaps my hair is short enough then to not clog drains. I've cleaned the drains before, but it's not hair I find. What I find instead... is too harrowing and personally traumatizing to talk about.

Peter
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A continuing conversation on a film music forum about Shower heads, drains, sinks......

WTF spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Can the Dutch here stop the vicious invasion of THE ORANGE before something happens?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Can the Dutch here stop the vicious invasion of THE ORANGE before something happens?

The orange?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's even more orange!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Even more orange than orange that's orange beyond orangeness?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Excruciatingly so.

(The text says "Happy King's Day".
    Our queen is abdicating tomorrow and her son, the Prince of Orange, is taking the throne.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cheers mate. I don't know how I'd have slept tonight without that info. wink
  3. Agent orange! devil

Volker wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  4. A Clockwork Oranje