• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014
    A very sore throat infection....just as I'm about to embark on weeks of various gigs involving my voice (recorded interviews, moderation, lectures etc.).

Typical.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014 edited
    More of the same...

I currently have a stuffed-up "cold voice", as it were, and tomorrow I'm recording a bonus track interview with Söderqvist and others for the upcoming soundtrack release of THE KING OF DEVIL'S ISLAND. Great timing...it will probably sound ridiculous.

Any tips on getting a clear and crisp voice in one day?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014
    "sniff" fucking journalist "cough"

-Johan Soderqvist on 11th January 2014-
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Do any of you know sign language?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, that should be great in an audio interview! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. All I can suggest is that dose yourself up with some sort of decongestant beforehand. If you know of one that works for you and what the "window of stufflessness" is then you could try and time it so that whatever medication you take works best during the interview.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yup. I've emptied the local pharmacy today.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Good God! All I did was mention the name Wal-Mart in an FSM thread -- a thread with NO links to the website. Just people typing the names. And BOOM! A cookie was Wal-Mart was put on the computer:

beacon.walmart

I deleted it. It re-instated itself. How the fuck is Wal-Mart pulling off this goddamn fuckery? Putting a cookie on your computer without visiting their site.

SOB!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Dammit, Justin. You probably just put Wal-Mart cookies on the computers of everyone who just read that. crazy

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2014 edited
    Software developers annoy me. I don't understand why software always seems to be needlessly complicated, unhelpful and just plain lacking in sense. Just the other day Windows rebooted my computer automatically after installing some updates. I didn't get a choice because I wasn't in the room at the time, so it rebooted and thereby ruined hours of work another program had been doing. I think this idiocy was in previous Windows versions as well, but despite millions of people being affected by it and complaining about it, and despite of the fact that there's absolutely no reason to not let people decide on their own when to reboot, they still haven't done anything about it. Why? I can only assume that software developers are evil and like when people suffer.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to get MS Paint to save files as jpg as default instead of png. Even though jpg is perhaps the most widely used image format, there's no way in Paint to make it the default save format, which is annoying when you save images all the time. Why do these software developers not let people decide their own preferred default format? Because of evil, that's why.

I searched for solutions on Google, and one of them mentioned a workaround where one should simply choose "Save as" in Paint and right-click on jpg and select "Add to quick access toolbar". Of course when I try to do that it's bloody grayed out! Grrr! "Grayed out" is my nemesis! Which leads me to another complaint about software developers. Why don't they ever provide some help when something is grayed out? Like a question mark one can click on and it will tell you the reason or the possible reasons for why it's not available to click on, and then give possible solutions. Instead, people have to waste hours of time searching on the internet, unless they are wiser than me and just give up.

I then went back to Google to find out why it was grayed out, but Google has this tendency to return results that don't contain the actual search terms you search for, so I quickly had enough of that.

I then tried to do another workaround. First, I simply had to save a blank jpg file via Paint on my computer somewhere. So I try to put it in the C: root folder, and of couse it tells me that I don't have administrator rights. While it's annoying that my own property tells me that I don't have the right to do with it what I want, I guess there are security reasons for this insanity. I then right-clicked on C:, then properties etc. to get administrator rights (something I could have sworn I've done a million times before) and it starts going through every single file on my harddisk to give me rights to use them. Guess what happens when it comes across a file that's in use. It says there's an error and it can't change the rights and it gives me the option to either cancel or continue. Problem is, A LOT of files are in use, so I have to sit and click enter again and again and again. After about a hundred clicks I gave up. Why isn't there an option like "When encountering errors, always perform this action" or something? I know why. It's because of bloody software developers and their evil ways.

Notice how small all my problems have been, yet I've met roadblocks every time I've tried to solve them. Things that should have taken 2 minutes to solve have now taken an hour, and I'm no closer to a solution. I sometimes wonder how much time and money people across the world waste on searching for solutions for these problems, which shouldn't even be problems to begin with. I bet all this time and money, if put to good use, could be used to solve world hunger in a week or two. So yes, software developers have a lot to answer for.

Peter crazy

PS.Finally managed to complete the second workaround step by step and when I tried to save, guess what the default format was. Yep, png. suicide
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2014
    plindboe wrote
    Software developers annoy me.

Hey! angry
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2014
    You're the glorious exception, Bregt. Please don't smite me

Peter smile
  5. Car parking charges!

I was out at a meeting the other week and I decided that a motorway service station was the most convenient location for all participants. Never even thought that the car park would be being watched for people over a specific free parking period.

So, an additional £50.00 on that day's costs! (Just hope that the guy who I had the meeting with doesn't pass on his charge - if he has one - to me as well.)

crazy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2014
    I can't switch phone providers unless I top up my current account in order to call customer services. My account is in credit, but their call centre is on a premium rate number which isn't covered!
  6. I shopped in Wal-Mart. This frail old lady is driving a cart that is beeping. I point out to her that the battery is dying (she had no idea, even though it was beeping and the last bar was flashing); I told her, "Let me go get you another cart" so she doesn't get stranded in the store. She thanked me, 'cause she said she can't walk on her own accord and her friend is elsewhere giving blood, so there's no one to help her. I walk quickly to the front of the store; the only carts are charging and won't turn on. I quickly make my way to the other side of the store. Again, carts are charging and not enough power to get it going.
    Meanwhile, outside, there's at least one cart sitting in the parking lot as the two cart pushers are chatting outside the building, instead of bringing it in to charge (I tried bringing it in, but it was dead).

Unfortunately, I make my way back and had to inform her of what happened. I told her the truth, there's probably about ten minutes of less of power left (these things die quickly) and she's going to have to hurry up to the front (she still has to make it outside!).

I really wanted to help her, but all the carts are charging or missing in action or in the parking lot sitting in the sun.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2014
    Wal-mart....what a peculiar American phenomenon that is.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. No, Wal-Mart: what a great American thing it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2014
    Indeed. Always great for entertainment for us non-US folks.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Wal-mart....what a peculiar American phenomenon that is.

I believe that our Asda superstore chain is a part of the behemoth of Wal-Mart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014
    Good man, for trying to help, Justin. beer Many wouldn't notice or bother.

Never been to a Wal-Mart, but I've been to a Tesco superstore in England, and that was pretty much like a convention for the morbidly obese.

Peter smile
  9. plindboe wrote
    I've been to a Tesco superstore in England, and that was pretty much like a convention for the morbidly obese.

And that's just the staff.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2014 edited
    I went to Wal-Mart in America. Needed to buy some washing powder, enough to do one or possibly two loads of laundry while staying in a holiday home in Florida. Of course, I only needed a small pack for this. But in Wal-Mart it - and everything else, in fact - only seemed to be available in boxes approximately as big as the Lighthouse of Alexandria. I asked one of the staff members if they had any smaller boxes; she stood open-mouthed and gave me the kind of expression usually reserved for occasions like seeing an alien life form bursting out of the stomach of a close family member and eventually said "Smaller? Oh no, these ones are much better value." I tried in vain to explain to her that it really didn't make economic sense to buy a box of washing powder big enough to do all the washing I would need to do over the course of the rest of my life when in fact I would do no more than two loads before throwing the rest away. "But you'd pay more per load if you bought a smaller box." "No I wouldn't!" It didn't matter anyway, because they didn't have any smaller boxes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2014
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    To my mind, this is Walmart.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I went to Wal-Mart in America. Needed to buy some washing powder, enough to do one or possibly two loads of laundry while staying in a holiday home in Florida. Of course, I only needed a small pack for this. But in Wal-Mart it - and everything else, in fact - only seemed to be available in boxes approximately as big as the Lighthouse of Alexandria. I asked one of the staff members if they had any smaller boxes; she stood open-mouthed and gave me the kind of expression usually reserved for occasions like seeing an alien life form bursting out of the stomach of a close family member and eventually said "Smaller? Oh no, these ones are much better value." I tried in vain to explain to her that it really didn't make economic sense to buy a box of washing powder big enough to do all the washing I would need to do over the course of the rest of my life when in fact I would do no more than two loads before throwing the rest away. "But you'd pay more per load if you bought a smaller box." "No I wouldn't!" It didn't matter anyway, because they didn't have any smaller boxes.

lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2014 edited
    Obama is visiting Belgium on Wednesday. While his 24 hour visit will only cost 10 million Euros, the really annoying thing is that he is visiting my home town Waregem. It's a small city compared to Ghent or Brussels but we have Belgium's only American cemetery of World War I. Since it's 100 years ago WWI started, he decided to bring a visit.

However, nobody can visit or see Obama. There's a total lockdown of the area around the cemetery. A friend lives about 100m away and she is not allowed to leave her house on Wednesday unless she has a permit. I'd love to wave and give a kazoo ( wink ) but it's just impossible. It's somewhat frustrating because it's so stupid.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2014 edited
    That's crazy. How can they force citizens to stay in-doors? That's a violation of rights. I would think closing the area where he needs to go is enough.

I waved at Obama when he was in Oslo to receive the Nobel Peace Prize a couple of years ago. He went briefly to the balcony of his hotel -- shielded with bars -- with Michelle. I was standing about 100 meters away, and I was jammed up against a statue with about 100.000 other people also wanting to catch a glimpse of him, so it wasn't exactly comfortable.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2014
    A foreigner stopping you doing what you want in your own town? Ah, the wonders of democracy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2014
    It's only in the area Thor. I'm allowed to leave but cannot get close. It's all very very strictly forbidden.
    Kazoo
  10. He should try Belgium Wavers. lick

Really, Bregt, you may have turned into some kind of extrimist and throw a bomb. Or a kazoo. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.