• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011
    Terrible, still. Even 1 death would be enough to cancel it. I expect it to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    They think today will be cancelled, but on the stages that are still there, tomorrow might go ahead. There's 60.000 people there, and it would be terrible for them too, to go home after having just arrived.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I was just going to post a new topic but I see you're all here. Hope everone from the forum here is all right as well. Was very freaked out two hours ago like Bregt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011 edited
    It's heart warming to see that neighbours and people living close to the festival have offered beds and sleeping places for the people.

EDIT: the festival will continue tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14582448
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I don't mind the posts to remember the passing of a composer. But the rest is just a waste of time.

I can understand the celebration of a deceased composer's birthday, especially if it's a round number, like 100. A kind of anniversary thing. But I've never understood the "anniversary" of someone's death day, especially not every single year which happens at FSM. That's just bizarre and a bit grotesque, IMO.

Have to agree on this one
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My leg has me between a rock and a hard place. It spasms all the time now unless I take the medication. If I take the medicine I'm not able to drive. It is a daily decision I have to make.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011 edited
    Bregt wrote
    It's heart warming to see that neighbours and people living close to the festival have offered beds and sleeping places for the people.

The festival has been cancelled. Five dead people so far, and lots of heavily wounded. It's a real sad day here in Belgium. What a terrible event. All young people on a holiday, for music and falling in love. Nature at its worst and most unforgiven. Then there are the "pray for Pukkelpop" tweets etc. It's just another reason God does not exist, or he is a sadist, evil and perverted creature.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Very sad outcome of what should have been a festive occasion. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Didn't it use to be cheaper per lb/kg if you bought larger quantities of things like foodstuffs? Well, not anymore. Buying half a kilo is now cheaper than buying twice as much in a one kilo packet.

That means also, twice as much packaging. I bought 2 half-kilo bags rather than the single one-kilo bag.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Didn't it use to be cheaper per lb/kg if you bought larger quantities of things like foodstuffs? Well, not anymore. Buying half a kilo is now cheaper than buying twice as much in a one kilo packet.

That means also, twice as much packaging. I bought 2 half-kilo bags rather than the single one-kilo bag.

Not true here in the USA. As an example you can purchase a pound of rice for a $1.00 but 25 lbs is a little under $9.00. That is a significant savings.
    Tom smile
  2. I am not sure where you shop Tom but 1kg is about as big a quantity as I can get!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    Bregt wrote

The festival has been cancelled. Five dead people so far, and lots of heavily wounded. It's a real sad day here in Belgium. What a terrible event. All young people on a holiday, for music and falling in love. Nature at its worst and most unforgiven. Then there are the "pray for Pukkelpop" tweets etc. It's just another reason God does not exist, or he is a sadist, evil and perverted creature.

Or he hates crappy music. Like the other day that he stormed down the country music festival in the US.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011
    As Pukkelpop had a fantastic line-up, I seriously doubt that.
    I *do* like the idea of an angry God smiting Country & Western though. "What does God need with a fiddle?"
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am not sure where you shop Tom but 1kg is about as big a quantity as I can get!

We have a place in San Diego called Costco. Everything is at least 15% less and many times more. They also have electronics, hardware, small appliances etc. A huge warehouse.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just got done promoting low prices and I've given up coffee because it is just too expensive now. I'm a tea drinker morning and night.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I found out this morning that an old friend of mine commited suicide yesterday, I don't know anymore details yet but this is terrible news, he was one of lifes true good guys. sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    I found out this morning that an old friend of mine commited suicide yesterday, I don't know anymore details yet but this is terrible news, he was one of lifes true good guys. sad

Sorry to hear that, Tim.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me too. like my other friend "Glove" who died other a year and a half ago, he was a very popular man.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote

I feel for you my friend.
    Tom sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The smog seems to be rather bad today. Watery eyes and a cough and I don't have a cold, yikes
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote

Oh jeez. sad Damn sorry to hear that, Tim.

It is so terribly sad that so many people hold so much darkness hidden within
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh dear, what a horrible news for you Timmer. How old was he?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sorry to hear that, Timmer. Awful news.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011
    Bregt wrote
    Oh dear, what a horrible news for you Timmer. How old was he?

Early 40's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tim, i am sorry man, that's awful....
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The brain can be helped through medication. I'm proof of that but you have to ask for help thus the problem.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmmm...not sure what to make of this.

So my order from Screen Archives Entertainment got lost.
    First time that ever happened (as far as I can recall) in the many, many years I've been doing business with them

Contacted them, explained the situation. Got some good tips and a clear way forward: I'd wait a couple of weeks to make sure it was *really* lost and not sent back and then get back in touch.
    So far so good.

So after my holidays the package still hadn't come in.
    Contacted SAE and was promptly and courteously answered: a replacement package would be sent out.

But here's the odd thing: added was a note that "this was the only time a replacement package would ever be sent out".

I'm just not sure what to make of that (well, I know EXACTLY what to make of it: any future time an order gets lost, it's tough titty for me). I am a little disturbed by that. On the one hand I can understand that a niche business with not too much profit margin will need to protect their investments as best as they can.

But on the other hand, SAE *offers* to send out these packages by internet order and mail, and I would *expect* they'd have some sort of business insurance to cover such (expected) losses.

I'm really in two minds about this.
    In Europe, there is even a law that prohibits such business transaction restrictions: the onus is fully on the selling party to make sure the goods are delivered (which includes having to send out replacement packages for ones lost). Interestingly all international stores I do business with -American ones as well- have done this from time to time without any remark. Amazon is a good example, but BSX has done the same!
    (I realize that American laws may be different. It's just a point for comparison's sake).

Now I *really* hate to come down on SAE, because their service has always been exemplary.
    It's a great business, with an excellent wen site, a great catalogue and driven, capabable people running it.

Nevertheless I'm seriously contemplating taking my business away: I simply can't afford the risk of any orders -generally in the 50-80 dollars range, so nothing to laugh at in my opinion- geting lost and having to be that burden myself! Even with slightly more expensive prices at Intrada, BSX or even Colosseum, I'd save money in the long run...

Anyone else (from outside the USA) have a similar experience with such SAE restrictions?
    If so, how did you address that (if you did)?
  4. There's an option in the order form now at SAE that you can choose. When chosen they will add an amount to the cost of the package and this will cover any loss if it just happens to be mislaid. As far as I understand you don't get a refund if the package gets to you okay - it's just a cost that you incur just in case the package goes missing. If you have paid the amount up front them they will gladly send out the replacement package. If you haven't paid the money then tough. It does say that your package will not be replaced of you don't pay the extra.

Perhaps you were given the replacement as a goodwill gesture on this occasion - the way they set it out you shouldn't even had that replacement. But obviously they have made it clear that this goodwill will not happen again.
  5. It's more about the business now. I am sure they will be just as friendly and helpful as they used to be but no more freebies. Maybe they were being stung by unscrupulous people claiming lost packages and they were just losing too many units in replacing peoples' lost items?

Maybe the closer links between SAE and FSM meant a more strict business model?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There's an option in the order form now at SAE that you can choose.

I may be daft, but I can't find it?
    There just seems to be the regular P&P option for different countries...

Perhaps you were given the replacement as a goodwill gesture on this occasion - the way they set it out you shouldn't even had that replacement. But obviously they have made it clear that this goodwill will not happen again.

slant
    I find it a little irksome that it would be considered "goodwill".
    Any internet business (to my mind) should take lost packages into account somehow (either through increased overall charges and/or through taking out insurance). It's pretty much part and parcel of the whole business model.

I just find the fact that the whole onus is placed on the customer a little odd (again: that may well be the Eurocentric versus the American view...even though generally I find American stores to be MUCH more customer-friendly and oriented than their European counterparts...)