• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011
    A huge parade is preventing me from leaving
    listen to more classical music!
  1. sdtom wrote

A parade? In all the movies, a parade should make it easy for you to sneak out of the apartment!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote

A parade? In all the movies, a parade should make it easy for you to sneak out of the apartment!

Tom's wise. In Bond movies he'd get killed by a 7ft+ assassin.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011
    The parade is over with and what a mess. This was what was called a Gay Pride parade. They were quite demonstrative and noisy. It'll be another year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011
    Quite humid today which I'm not use to.
  2. So much music I want to review but so little time available - and I wish I could transfer my thoughts into something meaningful. Very frustrating.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    So much music I want to review but so little time available - and I wish I could transfer my thoughts into something meaningful. Very frustrating.

pick only the material you really like. That is easier to write about
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We're foggy again this morning most depressing.
    Tom
  3. sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    So much music I want to review but so little time available - and I wish I could transfer my thoughts into something meaningful. Very frustrating.

pick only the material you really like. That is easier to write about

I think that reviewing music you don't like should be reviewed too. As long as you state the case and don't be disrespectful, it does serve a purpose.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Well I did do that with Varese and you know what happened? I never got another review copy. If I don't like it Agents of Secret Stuff as an example I just leave it alone. I'm sure it is me and not the music. Now if I purchase the material it is a whole new set of rules.
    Tom
  4. Varese's response to an unfavourable review says more about them than your reviewing. If they send out a review copy with the unsaid rule that the review must be a good one then that is unfortunate.

If I am asked my opinion on something then I try to give an honest opinion. If the overall view is not good I think it is good to also find something positive to say too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Varese's response to an unfavourable review says more about them than your reviewing. If they send out a review copy with the unsaid rule that the review must be a good one then that is unfortunate.

If I am asked my opinion on something then I try to give an honest opinion. If the overall view is not good I think it is good to also find something positive to say too.

That's the current "FSM disease" -- you can criticize the releases all you want, but be sure to only say positive things or nothing at all!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011
    Varese sent me promos for several years and I gave many of them negative reviews but I didn't hear anything from them about it. (In fact Robert Townson has said nice things to me a couple of times over the years.) I don't know why they stopped sending promos to me - financial, I guess, rather than any negative reaction to anything I'd said.

Only one label ever contacted me about a negative review I wrote, which was one of the Sony labels - they told me to amend the review or they would take me off their promo list. They took me off their promo list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011 edited
    I've dealt with distributors and promo copies for review purposes for several years (soundtracks, but also DVD's and press screenings) and not once did they react to a negative review. I also made it a point never to think about the distributor when writing the review. You're not a blatant marketing tool for them, you're primarily a journalist. You have the right to trash a score when they supplied a promo copy. You're doing them a favor for providing attention to the title, and they're cutting in their own hands when they take you off the list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I don't know why they stopped sending promos to me - financial, I guess, rather than any negative reaction to anything I'd said.

Bingo!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Only one label ever contacted me about a negative review I wrote, which was one of the Sony labels - they told me to amend the review or they would take me off their promo list. They took me off their promo list.

Good for you. What's the point of asking people to review something otherwise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011
    I just saw a relatively big spider crawl under the tv table, but when I removed it to look (intending to catch & release it outside), it was gone!!! Now how am I gonna be able to sleep in my one-room apartment? It may crawl into my mouth while I sleep!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not to worry.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    Not to worry.

But, as we know, Thor is not an "average person". wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I just saw a relatively big spider crawl under the tv table, but when I removed it to look (intending to catch & release it outside), it was gone!!! Now how am I gonna be able to sleep in my one-room apartment? It may crawl into my mouth while I sleep!

Get a cat? Gomez munches them like popcorn..............not that I'm pleased about it! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's the best solution! Cat, indeed. Same situation here, it's all done with a cat, no problem!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just now I was reminded of the big downside of having a cat when Gomez came in with a bird in his mouth slant , I've just buried it in the garden, much to Gomez annoyance.

It was a small bird with some yellow feathers, perhaps Alan can tell me what it was?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Just now I was reminded of the big downside of having a cat when Gomez came in with a bird in his mouth slant , I've just buried it in the garden, much to Gomez annoyance.

It was a small bird with some yellow feathers, perhaps Alan can tell me what it was?

When he was younger we tried collars with a bell on but he always found a way of getting them off ( never in front of us and the collar always became lost ), he got through so many it was becoming an expence, having a cat means having to accept that a predator is living in your house and will at times bring back small "gifts"however much you would prefer them not to.
  6. That description doesn't give much to go on. It could be a number of things. Even fledglings have yellowish feathering when the adults don't.

Any additional colours?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011 edited
    I'm afraid I buried it immediately without having a really close look. It did look like the small birds I see in the trees outside with yellow wing markings.

I'll try and get a better description when I next see them.
  7. Could be a greenfinch if it is mostly green. Or a goldfinch if it's yellow, with a black and red head.

Or next door's canary?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin

That would be great wouldn't it, next doors canary ( if they have one? ) along with next doors plant boxes which he annihilated a few months ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mine eats them completely! Gomez just kills?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mine eats them completely! Gomez just kills?

He's fussy, he eats mice completely but birds he just eats the head, I got this one off of him before he could do that.

The worst one was when he brought a pigeon back, he must have had a right party with it because my living room was a riot of feathers, when I got in he was contentedly sleeping on the couch and the headless pigeons body was on the middle of the carpet.