• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Or get walking pneumonia and loose 15 pounds in 10 days like I did!

-Erik-

I've not heard of "walking" pneumonia, what is it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011 edited
    Man flu?... wink

(Thought I better add the smiley!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Yeah, I lost 14 pounds in a couple of weeks once when I was ill. Sadly it all quickly came back afterwards!

The thing is... I don't really eat many snacks (a pack of crisps a day, chocolate bars maybe twice a week) and mostly drink in moderation (certainly less than the government-recommended number of units in a typical week, but I admit there's the occasional binge) AND I do exercise - not a huge amount, but more than most probably - so I don't really understand why I am still so fat... and still getting fatter!

Same thing happened to me. Before my health issues got really bad, I actually managed to jog a couple of times a week and maybe even once in the gym, but I still got fatter and fatter and gained 20 kilos in two years time. The only explanation is that I stayed still the rest of the day, and that I have these eating bonanzas during the weekends (where I go nuts in terms of unhealthy foods). I'm now at an alltime high in terms of weight, not far off from 90 kilos. In 2007, I was 70. There's nothing wrong with my motivation, though....only health issues beyond my control stand in the way.

It's clearly visible in images.

Before (with my cousin) in 2005
    After (with Elliot Goldenthal) in 2010

There's a difference but you carry it well.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Yeah, I lost 14 pounds in a couple of weeks once when I was ill. Sadly it all quickly came back afterwards!

The thing is... I don't really eat many snacks (a pack of crisps a day, chocolate bars maybe twice a week) and mostly drink in moderation (certainly less than the government-recommended number of units in a typical week, but I admit there's the occasional binge) AND I do exercise - not a huge amount, but more than most probably - so I don't really understand why I am still so fat... and still getting fatter!

Howabout bread? Pasta? Potatoes? All bloating foods.
  1. Maybe it's just genetic?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Man flu?... wink

Hmmmmm?

I don't believe in that "man flu" rubbish. I've had real flu twice, don't want it again and you certainly can't walk let alone barely stand when you have it, can't eat, can barely drink even a sip of water. "man flu" is basically a runny nose, sneezing a lot and a sore throat....at least that's my take on it, and no, I'm not suggesting Erik had it, that weight loss indicates a seriously nasty bought of something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Man flu?... wink

lol

When you have regular pneumonia you are instantly sent to the hospital. You don't f__k around with it. However, a not so serious infection, like I had, is still pneumonia but you basically "walk around" with it until you get better. You take meds but basically the body can heal the infection on its own.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Howabout bread? Pasta? Potatoes? All bloating foods.

Eat all of those in abundance...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There you have your answer! Same here too....plus an abundance of beer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I hope you all realize that I was in no way judging Thor or any of you. When I had the stroke one of the first things I had to give up was red meat because of the high cholesterol content. I'm now use to it and from time to time as a treat I can have it. I did it because I wanted to live and was willing to make changes in my life. I hate taking all of these pills everyday but I realize it is probably keeping me alive so I do it. I also had to limit the intake of caffeine in my diet to having a coffee in the morning and then only herbal tea, water, and soda without caffeine. It was painful.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Man flu?... wink

lol

When you have regular pneumonia you are instantly sent to the hospital. You don't f__k around with it. However, a not so serious infection, like I had, is still pneumonia but you basically "walk around" with it until you get better. You take meds but basically the body can heal the infection on its own.

-Erik-

Interesting. I think that's where I went wrong. I got a regular pneumonia after the Ghent trip in October last year (where I walked around with wet shoes in the rain all the time, having only brought one pair to save luggage with Ryan Air), but stupidly refused to visit the doctor when it kicked in a couple of weeks later. At times, I felt I was about to cough my lungs and heart out, and got a blood taste every time. Now I'm most likely paying the price by a lung damage that won't heal. I guess I THOUGHT it was a "walking pneumonia" like you describe, although I didn't use that term to describe it....

The reluctance to visit a doctor must be a male thing?!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Damn Thor, that's frightening news. Hope it gets better soon. But in Ghent I can join you on a juice binge if you want!

Also, what's wrong with bread? It's my favourite food! I love a slice or 5 of brown or dark bread and lots of seeds/corn on top of that.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Which is bizarre because I'd rather see a doctor then go to the dentist. I have a great family doctor. She's been in my life since I was 12 year's old. She pretty much family. I go for my full physical every year. I always expect something bad to pop up but she always says I'm as healthy as a horse. She loves my kids (who sees her more often then I do wink ) And even though she's says she doesn't make hospital visits when her patients have kids... she took time out of her busy schedule to come visit each of my children and day after they were born.

I don't understand why people stay away. If you are expecting something bad wouldn't you want to know about it and gets treatment for whatever ails you as soon as possible.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Visiting the doctor here in the UK can be a nightmare in my experience. Back at my parents' their surgery had a rule that you couldn't make an appointment to see a doctor any sooner than a week in advance. You see the doctor, get some medication for 3-4 days and then you can't be seen for 7!

In our surgery they are much better. The children can be seen next day if it's needed and we can be seen in 1-2 days - if you don't mind which doctor you see. Our actual doctor I have only seen a couple of times. I think he's only in 2-3 days a week (he's the head of the practice) and so if I wanted to keep seeing him dates would be limited. In practical terms I see the locum doctors more regularly - as long as they stay with the practice.

Dentists are even worse. They keep canceling appointments just before they are due. They must have to wait for their shipment of new dentists from Spain/Portugal/Eastern Europe to arrive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Which is bizarre because I'd rather see a doctor then go to the dentist. I have a great family doctor. She's been in my life since I was 12 year's old. She pretty much family. I go for my full physical every year. I always expect something bad to pop up but she always says I'm as healthy as a horse. She loves my kids (who sees her more often then I do wink ) And even though she's says she doesn't make hospital visits when her patients have kids... she took time out of her busy schedule to come visit each of my children and day after they were born.

I don't understand why people stay away. If you are expecting something bad wouldn't you want to know about it and gets treatment for whatever ails you as soon as possible.

-Erik-

Yes. At the same time you don't want to be a "whiney boy", and when you have 5 chronic things inside your body, you get a bit embarrased from visiting the doctor every time for any one of them.

Expensive too, since one visit costs abut 200 NOK ($36) untill you've reached the max limit of 1700 NOK ($310), after which it is free for the rest of the year, thankfully. I think I'm pretty close now.

In Norway, we introduced the "primary doctor" system a few years ago, and when I switched to a doctor closer to my home (instead of the university health system), I found it far easier to book time. He seems more engaged in my situation too, although I question his decision to just let the lung thing go on for half a year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Dentists are even worse. They keep canceling appointments just before they are due. They must have to wait for their shipment of new dentists from Spain/Portugal/Eastern Europe to arrive.

But is your dental care part of the overall health care? In Norway, it's not, so you have pay very high amounts for a regular check-up (and woe on you if you need to fix holes or other things). This is my main annoyance with the Norwegian healthcare system. I don't understand why dental care isn't included.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Holy crap! I can see the doctor when ever I want and it doesn't cost me a dime. Like Thor, I don't see my actual family doctor all the time but the rest of her team are all wonderful!

The dentist is expensive but if you go for regular cleanings and take care of your teeth soon you only have to see the dentist once a year.

As for being a whiney boy... I'd rather bitch, moan, complain, and whine until the dogs came home instead of being in a pine box because I worried about pride more than my health.

-Erik-
  3. Here there is a free dental care system but there's not enough places for everyone. Sometimes when a new NHS dentist opens and the queues start it can make the news on TV.

Even getting a spot with a dentist where you pay for care can be a race to get a place. The children are young enough to get care free but Anne and I have to pay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Here in America it isn't a problem of seeing one as there seems to be a lot of them. It is only if you have the money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I waited too long for my downloading and now I'm backed up 3 gigs and to try and do anything but letting the computer download is slow.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Here there is a free dental care system but there's not enough places for everyone. Sometimes when a new NHS dentist opens and the queues start it can make the news on TV.

It's only a bit free though, isn't it? I have an NHS dentist but still have to pay (but I know that people who are either young, old, unemployed, disabled, ethnic or lesbian don't have to pay anything).

As for the doctor... I can't even remember the last time I saw a doctor. For someone with my lifestyle, I am remarkably free of illness most of the time. I won't take this as a good sign though - my dad was the same (he had precisely one day off work sick in his 45-year working life) but then as soon as he retired, he got Parkinson's and was dead within two years.
  4. I have been informed that we do pay something but it is subsidised. I think it is £12 just for someone to look in my mouth. I suppose it is the equivalent of a call-out fee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's not very expensive, certainly. Last time we moved, we got registered at an NHS dentist without any bother at all.
  5. It isn't expensive. I think people argue at the charge because we are so used to free healthcare.
  6. I have a bit of a cold. Not man flu, but sore throat, blocked nose and my head feels crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011
    A bit dizzy today
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    A bit dizzy today

Well, I did suggest that attending whirling Dervish classes didn't sound like a good idea!

Seriously though Tom, I hope everything turns out alright.
  7. I've just ruined a pair of my good headphones. crazy

Getting them out from a drawer they caught on an edge and broke. Damn! Having to use a pair of Sennheiser PX 100 headphones at the moment but they are not too good: strings sound very tinny.

Need to find another pair tomorrow...
  8. I purchased a set of Sennheiser HD 205 headphones. I didn't look at reviews beforehand but am pleased with them. Some people dislike the tight fit these have. I quite like that, but ask me again after I have worn them for any length of time!
  9. Having used the headphones for a time now they don't appear to be as sharp as the JVC headphones I used to have. They may be so good that they are showing off the limitations of the "SRS Premium Sound" of my Dell Inspiron.

Whatever the reason for the difference I am worried by how much the difference is putting me off listening to any music at the moment.