• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011 edited
    Lots of positive vibes towards your cousin.
    And Lots of very careful and most aetheric positive vibes (to prevent them disturbing and dispersing pollen in the air!) to you! (Did you only get asthmatic later on in life? I didn't even know that was possible. sad So sorry to hear that! sad )

Me, I'm also still on a P4 with Windows XP, and although I'm ecstatically happy with Windows XP and am VERY hesitant to change, the fact is that with many newer programs I got, my system is far beyond its sell-by date (opening iTunes generally takes 10 minutes. Opening a database program, a graphic program and a browser causes havoc and freezes for minutes on end... )...time for a change, I fear.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Hey Thor, I dare not say what I really think over at FSM, Eric is the most tunnel visioned god-bashing closed minded member of the raving right I think I've ever come across, not that this hasn't been evident for over a decade now. wink

What?
    WHAT?
    WHAT?

confused confused confused confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If you wanna have a laugh at a right wing loony go to the FSM OT board and check out Eric Padden's Osama Bin Laden no RIP thread.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Hey Thor, I dare not say what I really think over at FSM, Eric is the most tunnel visioned god-bashing closed minded member of the raving right I think I've ever come across, not that this hasn't been evident for over a decade now. wink

Definitely. He's clearly educated and eloquent, so it's pretty scary that he can have such a redneck mentality. It's like the "America! Fuck Yeah!" parody from TEAM AMERICA....only for real. shocked

Did you see the bit in NP Non-Film Music thread about him wanting to play Sousa marches today to celebrate the American "spirit and pride" or whatever he called it? It's disgusting.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes I did, his kind of patriotism makes me feel queasy, I posted my own NP which was John Barry's AMERICANS which, I'll point out was purely coincidental.

p.s. I CAN'T STAND SOUSA MARCHES!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011
    Timmer wrote

Oh, I dunno smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Screw them. Just come here alone, where we love each other and make love, not war.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oh, I dunno smile

I get the video up but for some reason it won't play? Still, I should take that as a blessing wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aw. sad
    It was actually a rather fun jazz rendition of the Stars And Stripes Forever.
  1. Martijn wrote
    Me, I'm also still on a P4 with Windows XP, and although I'm ecstatically happy with Windows XP and am VERY hesitant to change, the fact is that with many newer programs I got, my system is far beyond its sell-by date (opening iTunes generally takes 10 minutes. Opening a database program, a graphic program and a browser causes havoc and freezes for minutes on end... )...time for a change, I fear.

I was a big fan of XP and didn't want to change. But having now made the change, I don't regret it. Though I don't think I am using it to its fullest potential.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Screw them. Just come here alone, where we love each other and make love, not war.

A small minority of thick-heads does not make FSM a bad place, HERE at MT is my home but I have to get "out and about" now and again wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

A small minority of thick-heads does not make FSM a bad place, HERE at MT is my home but I have to get "out and about" now and again wink

Same here. There are, like, 15 new posts here every day (which take me about 5-10 minutes to read at the most), while FSM has 2545. My film music internet fix can sadly not be satisfied by maintitles alone (although I wish it could).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    Thor, I think a lot of that has to do with how Europeans (in general) and Americans (in general) express patriotism. For a lot of Europeans like you and I and several others who post here, who grew up post WWII, and who still feel the effects of that, overt nationalism and patriotism is still associated with racism and xenophobia, and the lingering ghost of Nazism in Germany, fascism in Italy, the ultra-right wing nationalism that led to the breakup of Yugoslavia, etc. The USA doesn't have that - Pearl Harbor and 9/11 are the *ONLY* aggressive attacks on American soil by outside influences since the country declared independence in 1776, so the only thing they know is retaliation. They were never blitzed by the luftwaffe, they never had IRA bombs, they never had ETA bombs in Spain, they never had a city like Dresden flattened entirely, they never had massacres like Srebrenica so they don't have that legacy in their collective memory.

In England, at least until I left to come live in the USA, flying the Union Jack or the English St. George Cross on houses was generally considered a little weird, unless it was related to an international sporting event like the World Cup, or a matter of national civic celebration - the Last Night of the Proms, or last week's royal wedding for example. Seeing it at other times usually had skinhead/British Nazi Party connotations, and made people generally uncomfortable.

I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment; having pride in the achievements of your country and the good things your country does is a good thing, and I don't think people should be second-guessed or judged for flying their national flag. But in America it's VERY different. You see Stars and Stripes EVERYWHERE here, and overt displays of patriotism are very common, but I do find a lot of the "we're the best in the world" attitude very distateful. There's a song which plays on the radio from time to time here by a guy called Lee Greenwood with a chorus which goes:

"I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free/And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me/And I gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today/'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land/God Bless the U.S.A."

What I hate about this is that it seem to implicitly insinuate that no-one else is free, and that only Americans have a divine right to this as "God blesses the USA". I heard this song twice on my drive to work this morning, on two different stations. I changed the channel as soon as it started playing on one station, only for it to start playing on the other one 2 minutes later.

But, on the other hand, I just have to accept that this is simply how a lot of Americans think. They genuinely DO believe that theirs is the best system of government, the best country, the most just and fair and free society. Personally, I think it's impossible to quantify these things, but it is what it is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's good to see it from your perspective as an ex-pat Jon.

These days flying the flag of St. George or the Union Jack isn't related to being a skinhead or BNP supporter, thankfully.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I could agree with that analysis. I'd freak out though, when I hear such a song.

If the statements are true, it's a pity Gadaffi wasn't killed by accident yesterday, but instead his son and three grand children. Why does he get away with that? slant
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I could agree with that analysis. I'd freak out though, when I hear such a song.

If the statements are true, it's a pity Gadaffi wasn't killed by accident yesterday, but instead his son and three grand children. Why does he get away with that? slant

I wish I knew Bregt, why was Hitler, Goerring etc able to take their lives before being put on trial, why was Pol-Pot allowed to live into a comfortable age...........the lists go on forever, life just isn't fair sometimes.

p.s. Gaddafi's son is no great loss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wasn't it one who wasn't into politics?
    Kazoo
  2. Pol Pot died in abject poverty in a small compound in the middle of the Cambodian jungle. Not exactly comfortable. But, as for the rest, unfortunately justice is never quite what we would like it to be.

Mussolini, Nicola Ceaucescu, Saddam Hussein, and a few others got their just desserts. On the other hand, Kim Jong Il and Ahmedinijad are never going to be overthrown and as you say Hitler, Goebbels and Goering took the coward's way out. Both Slobodan Milosevic and Pinochet died before they could be properly tried. It's the way of the world, unfortunately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think that Jon did explain the America point of view. He's able to view it having lived on both sides of the Atlantic.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah; I think that's a pretty good and rational analysis, Jon, and I agree with most of what you say. Likewise, if people had behaved like that in Norway, people had become scared. And if our prime minister had said some of the stuff Obama did, he would most likely have been kicked out of office, the party and be chasticized by both media and public opinion.

So fundamental cultural differences there.

Norway can also be quite nationalistic, like on our national day, May 17 (which is a children's day, first and foremost) or when we win a sporting event (especially winter sports), but not on issues such as this. In those cases, one usually shows far more restraint and most certainly don't wave flags around!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Pol Pot died in abject poverty in a small compound in the middle of the Cambodian jungle. Not exactly comfortable. But, as for the rest, unfortunately justice is never quite what we would like it to be.

Mussolini, Nicola Ceaucescu, Saddam Hussein, and a few others got their just desserts. On the other hand, Kim Jong Il and Ahmedinijad are never going to be overthrown and as you say Hitler, Goebbels and Goering took the coward's way out. Both Slobodan Milosevic and Pinochet died before they could be properly tried. It's the way of the world, unfortunately.

Yeap, and Robert Mugabe is invited to the beautification of Pope Jean Paul II........or is that part of punishment? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011
    MONEY!!! crazy

On top of everything else going on in relation to health, job, housing etc., May seems to be a drain, money-wise and I can't keep up. I need new glasses, new jogging shoes, workout clothes, bicycle repairs, hairdresser, doctor expenses, new shaving machine, new PC, new sofa, new TV. Plus update my wardrobe one extra size. Oh, and I need another bottle of cognac too. And all that on top of mortgages, student loans, electricity, you name it.

Anyone else experiencing the May Money Drain?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Too early to tell for May yet. But April certainly was a drain. One bright light though is that I'm starting to get payment for various projects that I have been doing since I finished and I have a couple of invoices to put out also. It doesn't cover what I used to earn, but it's good to have something coming in as well as Anne's wage.

Though the money coming in from these projects is just sitting there at the moment. I need to speak to an accountant to see how best to use the money: things like whether it should just sit there and accumulate, should I be paying myself a salary out of it (probably minimum wage to start off with), etc.

Thor, you may want to start with the bottle of cognac and work your way back up your list?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Too early to tell for May yet. But April certainly was a drain. One bright light though is that I'm starting to get payment for various projects that I have been doing since I finished and I have a couple of invoices to put out also. It doesn't cover what I used to earn, but it's good to have something coming in as well as Anne's wage.

Though the money coming in from these projects is just sitting there at the moment. I need to speak to an accountant to see how best to use the money: things like whether it should just sit there and accumulate, should I be paying myself a salary out of it (probably minimum wage to start off with), etc.

Thor, you may want to start with the bottle of cognac and work your way back up your list?

He, he...not a bad idea, but I think I'll wait untill I get to the airport tax free in June (when I return from Riga). 1 litre of cognac at the "wine monopoly" in Norway is 500 NOK and upwards ($100 and upwards). So it's almost half that at the tax free.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Decided to slip in a "quick" backup of my hard drive and it has decided that all my music files are "newer". Grrrr! This is going to take ages and now I can't work...oh, wait a minute. smile

When I haven't even played the tracks or modified artwork, etc what is it that makes it newer? Does something like iTunes do some background think that is being picked up as a modification of the files' properties?
  5. My phone can't reliably send or receive calls or texts this morning. It feels like a network issue rather than my phone collapsing in a heap again. Problem is I need to receive texts for me to do any work on a particular project. Maybe I should just write off work for today completely!
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    My phone can't reliably send or receive calls or texts this morning. It feels like a network issue rather than my phone collapsing in a heap again. Problem is I need to receive texts for me to do any work on a particular project. Maybe I should just write off work for today completely!

Oops!

I thought to try my son's phone which runs off the same network (T-Mobile) and it worked fine. Not the network then. My first, depressing, thought was that my phone had gone on the blink again. Then I thought to make sure that the SIM card was housed in its place properly. It wasn't obviously dislodged but giving it a bit of a push seems to have done the trick for now.
  7. I have had the same thing twice now with my Samsung, where my cell phone would lock up for no reason, unable to call, receive, send messages and so on. Simply taking out the sim card and putting it back made it operational again.

The wonders of modern technology.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. Luckily I didn't go back to the shop complaining.
  9. Weathermen and forecasting in general.

Predicted to be cool and wet this afternoon. So went out to vote with an additional fleece and waterproof coat on "just in case". Just back now absolutely soaked - in sweat!

Warm and the sun came out. Grrr!