• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011
    Seriously wondering whether I can carry on with my film music website. Working an insane number of hours in my real job at the moment and the pile of CDs I have to review is growing ever larger. I barely even have time to listen to any film music at the moment, let alone listen to albums in enough depth to review them, and I'm feeling bad about companies generously sending me promos and me then just letting them sit on my desk (I've got some from months ago which I haven't even opened yet).

While that's very frustrating, I am finding my real job very rewarding at the moment. Hugely pressured and challenging, but rewarding. I won't bore anyone with what I actually do (if I say it involves new European regulation on the solvency of insurance companies, I'm sure people's eyes will have glazed over already) but there are aspects of it that I love. I never thought I would be any good at, or enjoy, managing people, but it turns out I do. I've got a bunch of exceptionally bright, talented young graduates working for me who come from all sorts of different backgrounds but are united in their hard work ethic and an almost obsessive desire to impress me and outdo each other, and it's an absolute joy to work with such people every day. I can't claim the credit for recruiting them (they just applied to the company's graduate scheme and were interviewed by others) but it's such a wonderful feeling to think I'm involved in developing them as people and as employees, and it's very clear that at least a couple of them will soon be outshining me and will become superstars in our very limited field.

(Hmm, most of that was very positive for this thread - perhaps I chose the wrong one.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    I won't bore anyone with what I actually do (if I say it involves new European regulation on the solvency of insurance companies, I'm sure people's eyes will have glazed over already)

Oh no.
    It just indicates to me you're either one of today's good guys....or one of the very, very bad ones.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011
    Few people who know what I do at work would consider me to be one of society's good guys. Obviously I beg to differ!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm sure Palpatine did as well, initially.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorjohnbijl
    So you're saying that managing people is more fulfilling than managing a website? Huh. wink

By the way, are you doing any Sarbane-Oxley-related stuff? I used to develop compliance / schooling programs for one of the largest bank-insurance multinationals. Was kinda fun.
    Nothing is as loud as silence - Miklós Rózsa
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I used to do some Sarbanes-Oxley stuff - the company I worked for at the time didn't implement it very well at all (turned it into a frustrating box-ticking exercise, which was hardly the point).
  1. We used to do S-O stuff too. But as BMS (our parent company) got hammered by US regulators we felt the after effects of strict compliance requirements. We were already okay re compliance but things went way over-the-top after that episode.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011 edited
    Aaaahhhhh! Google is killing off Google Desktop.
    THAT'S, LIKE, MY ENTIRE PERSONAL MEMORY BANK OF THE LAST DECADE RIGHT THERE!
    Do I need to painstakingly organize things logically and neatly again to be able to find anything?
    Google desktop was my savior and trusty companion in many a dark moment.
    I don't know what to do now.
    I think I'll go off computers altogether... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011
    What's google desktop? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Something rather useful for people with more than 10 MB of storage. In more than two formats.
    (Seriously though, linear storage strategies (like alphabetising) went the way of the dodo ever since storage became cheap. It just doesn't suffice any more for a quick and easy search to keep things ordered in little maps, when you talk about decades of material now!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    having a good day
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011
    Chargers lost to New England 35-21 sad
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    You know when you try to cheer someone up but there's nothing that you can do or say to make them feel better?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    You know when you try to cheer someone up but there's nothing that you can do or say to make them feel better?

Yes I do! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Yes I do! slant

Doesn't help that you're the person who hurt the other person in the first place.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhhh! A bit different then, were you being too honest? Too truthful perhaps??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Broke up?
    Worst situation to be in, conversation-wise. sad
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011
    I've pretty much talked it out with my closer friends, and I don't think I need to air my dirty laundry here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Suit yourself.
    Even if it's a dirty suit. smile
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Suit yourself.

Plus, I've learned that you shouldn't never take a guy's advice about a girl when given the option of a girl's advice about a girl.

And since this board is a sausage fest pretty much, I think it more wise to not say anything.
  2. True that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    KevinSmith wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Suit yourself.

Plus, I've learned that you shouldn't never take a guy's advice about a girl when given the option of a girl's advice about a girl.

And since this board is a sausage fest pretty much, I think it more wise to not say anything.

As I said, suit yourself.
    That's the beauty of this board. Nobody's particularly bothered if you want to do a Dear Abby. Or if you don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Best not to say anything
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011
    Events took a very dramatic turn last night.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Mel and I went to the pub for a friends 40th birthday, that all went fine and then Mel and I went to another pub, it was so packed out we decided to leave and go home but the moment we walked onto the street there was a sharp, loud BANG! A police car careered onto the pavement nearly pinning us to the wall, in moments like that your senses are momentarily scrambled but adrenaline quickly kicks in, the police car was a total write-off as was the car it had smashed into on a cross road junction, the two policemen walked from their car, I could see the airbags had deployed but the driver of the other car looked bad, he might have been dead, I just don't know? But believe me when I say it didn't look good. Mel and I were both shaken up and decided there was nothing we could do by hanging around except get in the way of emergency services, I gave one small group ( of a quickly expanding mob of rubber-neckers ) who had their i-pods/phones out filming and taking pictures a very vocal piece of my mind, what's wrong with people eh? Fucking ghouls!

A very depressing end to a Saturday night.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christ. Do you know anything about the circumstances? Were they chasing someone? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011 edited
    That's the thing, it 'just happened', neither of us saw anything until the cop car nearly pinned us, the police must have been speeding at a fast rate considering the state of the two cars but neither of us remember hearing sirens beforehand but then it did happen on one of Bristol's busiest roads so combined with a headful of booze the world is a schmorgasboard of sounds.

p.s. an educated guess says one of the cars went through red lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Man! Good to know you weren't hurt! Hell, that must have been a shocker!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Drama! Hope none were hurt too badly, including the guy the police was apparently chasing.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Maybe police car was showing only blue lights and jumped the red to get to what might turn out to be a minor incident. But led to a major accident. It has happened before.

Or maybe the police car was involved in something in which they were the innocent party.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christ mate it could have ended way worse I am so relieved you are alright !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.