• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2013
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Ipad 4 is the retina one. The ipad mini doesn't have retina display. As I understand it, ipad mini is more like a small ipad 2. They've stopped producing ipad 3, and perhaps that's why they don't want to call the new one ipad 4, because they want to avoid the uncomfortable question "there's an ipad 2 and an ipad 4, so where's the ipad 3?". Silly buggers.

Anyway, fun fact: I hate Macs with a vengeance, and I worship ipads. No one can explain this.

Peter smile

The retina iPad is the third one surely? uhm The iPad mini is technically the fourth.

Ipad 3 and ipad 4 both have retina. The mini was released on the same date as the ipad 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipad#Model_comparison

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Thanks I needed that.

Peter smilecocktail
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah! I stand (sit) corrected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013 edited
    Zimmer bashing annoys me currently. For several weeks now, I've seen an onslaught of this at FSM, JWFAN and even here on Maintitles. Even if I click on a topic that has nothing to do with him, it still pops up. Very annoying, since 99% are cheap shots -- not constructive criticism. Enough already!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013
    confused

What threads are you clicking, 'cause I ain't seeing them?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    confused

What threads are you clicking, 'cause I ain't seeing them?

It has (thankfully) subsided somewhat here at maintitles after the MOS debacle, but it's all over FSM and JWFAN.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013
    Ah. The Undiscovered Country. The Badlands. The Barrens. Outland. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013
    Bicycle accident on thursday evening. Remember absolutely nothing... Apparantly I called my mother several times, forgetting each time I had already called... Well, been hospitalised since then and thankfully will have my health back in time. Suffered a head concuscion (therefore loss of memory), and messed up my teeth, and broke my jaw. Surreal experience... My girlfriend's mother insisted on getting me a helmet for my birthday, and I'm so grateful for that. I'm soooo Lucky! Everyone here with good health: be thankful! Looking forward to getting back to Music again :-)
  1. Sorry to hear about your accident. Get back to health soon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I noticed your post on facebook, Mark. That sucks! Here's for a speedy recovery, and that your mind will allow you to compose again soon. Hopefully, your hands were alright.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ouch! That is bad. Glad you are okay. All the best and I wish you a quick recovery.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Thank you guys. Alan, Thor, Bregt. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Crikey, Mark! shocked
    What a horrid fall!
    And what a scary situation!

What on earth happened? Were you hit?

Anyway, however that may be, hope you get better soon. A broken jaw is terrible. Just sipping soup and ice cream? When will you be up and about again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    What on earth happened? Were you hit?

markrayen wrote
    Bicycle accident on thursday evening. Remember absolutely nothing...

Oops. shame
    Never mind. dizzy

Just get well soon! WHen do you get to leave the hospital?
    wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nasty, very very nasty. I wish you a speedy recovery Mark beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. All the best, Mark!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013
    Thanks for the support! It is much appreciated smile.

Martijn: I might be able to leave this afternoon if the doctor is satisfyed after checking me today. They have transplanted skin and the chances are 50/50 as to whether it will grow. They have also pushed some teeth into place and don't know if they will survive. Either way I will be needing implants for those I have lost.

My memory should be ok, but it is strange to be so forgetful. Yesterday I asked my girlfriend to remind me of our first conversation after the accident as I had forgotten everything. But it is funny to see how certain types of information stick, and others fall right out. Trying to recall the last day before I fell has been exciting. I took the son of a friend of mine fishing, as his father was too preoccupied to take him himself. I feel so sorry for that poor boy, and spent my afternoon trying to give him a good time. Then my friend, who is a chef this summer at a holiday resort, charged me full price for food I didn't even want, after insisting he would offer a 70% discount if I traveled all the way out there to see his son.... I usually don't say anything because nobody else seems to share my perspective. But Next time I see him I'm going to tell him.

Anyway.... Looking forward to going home soon, and I'm grateful for what I have. Like my friend said in the Facebook chat: "a scar is the sign of a lived life" (sounded better in Norwegian)
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    As for the accident itself I still remember nothing of ever Being on a bicycle that evening. I don't think I was hit because the place where my brother found my bike was a bike path and not an actual road. It is very steep downhill there, so it is most likely that i either didn't brake enough, or used the brake too sudden. It was a Brand new bike, so I wasn't used to it yet. Anyway, no idea how it happened, just happy to be here still smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    So are we. smile

Horrible accident! I hope you get well soon and they do a good job fixing you up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    That sounds really awful! Hope the recovery will go well, though it will no doubt be hard.

Makes me consider getting a bike helmet...

Peter
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    That sounds really awful! Hope the recovery will go well, though it will no doubt be hard.

Makes me consider getting a bike helmet...

Peter

Really, you should!

A friend of mine was cycling behind a man who came off his bike hitting his head on the ground, my friend stopped and gave assistance until an ambulance arrived, by one of life's strange little coincidences it was my friends girlfriend, a nurse, who ended up looking after the stricken man in Hospital, luckily he made a full recovery but was unconscious for two whole days, considering he was not cycling very fast that is scary.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    that is scary.

It is, but then accidents will happen.
    It's really down to proper risk management: what are the odds of being involved in an accident like this and what's the foreseeable damage?

In The Netherlands, using a normal city bike, the chances of such an accident (and/or its consequences) are negligible.
    I will never ever wear a helmet for that reason (and will blatantly defy the law if overzealous lobby groups succeed in making it mandatory).

HOWEVER, when for example riding a mountain bike on hilly/wild terrain (of which there is pretty much none in The Netherlands) or when riding a racing bicycle, the odds grow greatly in favour of making sure to be as safe as possible, including (of course) wearing a helmet!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you, Martijn, that wearing a helmet shouldn't be mandatory.

I think this is a "horses for courses" thing, I wouldn't recommend cycling the frankly dangerous roads of my city without a helmet.
  3. I would certainly recommend wearing a helmet, particularly in a city where it would be easy to fall and strike your head on the hard street surfaces. Even falling from standing could inflict serious head injuries - though I would not think of wearing a helmet when walking!

One thing to bear in mind is that no matter what precautions you take yourself it's the other people who are using the roadways that you need to watch out for. You have no idea what others are likely to do that will impact (pun maybe intended) on your own situation.

Only today we were returning from an RSPB reserve and a couple of elderly women were driving along and completely ignored a red stop light. Goodness knows what they were doing (I knew exactly what they were not doing) but luckily nothing was coming the other way that would have hit them. So, you always have to consider what other people may do that could affect you.

A bit off topic for this but I think that it's worth pointing out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Precautions, dumb luck, sheer bad fortune, stupidity, carelessness, overzealousness... There's no such thing as "safety".
    Just risks and how to deal with them.
    I'm not wearing a helmet on my bike. I accept a certain amount of risk I find completely acceptable.

Should I ever have kids will I use those exact same parameters on them as they sit behind me?
    Will I still feel the same when I'm 93 and still on my bike (as I fully plan to be wink )?
    Highly unlikely.

It's an ever changing consideration.
  4. just read it now, god Mark. Glad to hear you're okay, but still. Sounds awful. Hope everything turns out in the end. Best of luck
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Good points. The chances are really small that a helmet will one day my life, especially considering that I'm a rather competent cyclist and that Copenhagen has cycle lanes everywhere; I do use a racing bike though and tend to cycle about as fast as people on mopeds and they are legally required to wear helmets. But the thought of having to carry that thing around with me everywhere i go, is quite a turnoff. Reading about accidents like this does give me pause though.

Peter
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013 edited
    I understand all the helmet points in wake of Mark's accident.

I cycle around Oslo every day (since I don't have a car and don't want to spend all my money on public transportation), and Oslo is often very difficult that way. You often have to use the car lanes and follow the car traffic. It's a far cry from the Bicycle Heaven that is The Netherlands (or even Denmark). And I don't use a helmet. You always think you have total control untill the accident happens. Even if I consider myself an experienced urban cyclist. The cars don't make it easier by honking their horns and 'stressing you out' in difficult situations.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. It is all about assessing risk and accepting a level of risk. And accepting the consequences if things do go "tits up".

I am perhaps ultra-cautious sometimes. But when I learnt to drive I wore a seatbelt from day one. Even before it became the law. It just seems the logical thing to do because of the mix of physics and biology that happens in an accident.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013
    Interesting to follow a discussion about helmets... Whatever the risk is, at that precise moment something might happen, a helmet could save your life. I think mine saved me, when I arrived home last night I saw how my helmet looked, and that kind of damage to my head could have been fatal. My bike was actually found in a different place than I had assumed, where it isn't so steep and the road is nice and clear. So there seems to be no explanation for my accident. My brother said maybe a cat had run out in front of me, or that there was an obstacle on the path I couldn't see without wearing my glasses. It had started to get dark outside, so that is a slight possibility. Either way I'm very pleased to be home, and look forward to my recovery! Thanks again for the support everyone smile