• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009 edited
    At Joep's behest:
    Joep wrote
    While the title doesn't clarify it, virtually all post are about filmmusic purchases and not dvd's. I don't mind someone mentioning a filmmusic extra on a dvd they've just purchased, but that's about it. I would like to suggest to open a new thread for dvd purchases only.

Last posts:
    Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

- Die Hard with a Vengeance punk
    Oh yeah, this was the only one that wasn't released yet on Blu-Ray, now this error has been corrected. And if my brother can taunt me with buying Cutthroat Island, then I'm taunting him with this one. You have Die Hard 4 (the loudest), I have Die Hard 3 (the best) wink And it is DTS woohoo

My principal reaction was. Aaaaaaaaaargghhhhhhh followed by hahaha! punk Well done bro. You've done one better than me. Does this mean we have to get parts 1 and 2 as well?

BTW when was Cutthroat Island coming out again?

I really do need to get an encoder that supports DTS-HD. Dolby TrueHD is fine, it can do that, but I still can't see how DTS-HD will be that much better... slant

DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony, I have a receiver capable of both and to me the dynamics and overall power between channels are just better in DTS-HD compared to Dolby TrueHD. I've also noticed with TrueHD I have to increase the volume to get the sound to respectable levels, but then there's always some aspect of the sound spectrum that is either too agressive or another too toned down, like the lower frequencies which are absolutely essential for the home theatre aficionado. With DTS-HD everything sounds mighty fine and I hardly have to change anything while watching a film.

But I have to admit Transformers with TrueHD is truly a stunning room-shaking experience. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009
    Octopussy (Ultimate Edition)
    Fan Chan (My Girl)
    Django
    Keoma
    Lin Shi Rong (The Magnificent Butcher)
    Honogurai Mizu no Soko Kara (Dark Water)
    Battle Creek Brawl
    Bkueberry
  1. OK, my recent purchases..... Spanning for a month

Don't Look Now
    The Big Lebowski
    Girl with a Pearl Earring
    The Hunt for Red October
    E.T.
    All the President's Men (2 DVD special ed.)
    Taxi Driver
    Coffee and Cigarettes
    Amelie
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Question? It looks like more money is being spent on DVD's than CD's?
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Question? It looks like more money is being spent on DVD's than CD's?
    Thomas

Yeah. Personally, I haven't bought a DVD in at least a year. Maybe more.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have made a purchase or two but I'm also very selective.
    Thomas
  2. I recently spend more money on DVDs than CDs indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For me to purchase a DVD I have to convince myself that it is one I'll watch over and over again on a somewhat regular basis.
    Thomas
  3. I know that I'll watch the movies on a more regular basis and the commentary tracks/making-ofs will get that a lot too. That's how I learn the craft of filmmaking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    PREDATOR

For first time, i bought it in DVD. Earlier, it was in VHS( several years ago ). Now, i got 50% discount on this movie. I really like this movie very much, especially score. I liked the atonal the way Alan used in the last 15 minutes, which was quite thrilling moments. I was totally amazed and thrilled in watching this movie in 5.1 sound. Great picture and sound quality. Really worth buying it. By the way, this is groundbreaking movie. biggrin

[b]THE WATER HORSE[/b]

I bought this DVD for 50% discount. I like this movie but it reminded me Free Willy. Anyhow, movie is good. I liked score very much. James Newton Howard's one of the best. Score really worked very well in the movie. AWESOME!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  4. Sunil wrote
    PREDATOR

For first time, i bought it in DVD. Earlier, it was in VHS( several years ago ). Now, i got 50% discount on this movie. I really like this movie very much, especially score. I liked the atonal the way Alan used in the last 15 minutes, which was quite thrilling moments. I was totally amazed and thrilled in watching this movie in 5.1 sound. Great picture and sound quality. Really worth buying it. By the way, this is groundbreaking movie. biggrin

It is a groundbreaking action film, and put the sub on full and it breaks the ground I agree. wink

One of Arnie's very best. I remember growing up with this, aaah the memories. I wish McTiernan would return to this form of film making. What was his last good one? Die Hard 3?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    No meaning in purchasing dvd's for me, as i don't watch any movie more than once, esp. in very rare cases when i make it up to 2 or something. But still no meaning to have the dvd sitting and collecting dust for me as i never was any kind of collector, esp. a dvd collector. Only expection of the rule is musical dvd's / concerts, which i too don't own much of either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. I could never watch a film only once, except if it were crap, or shows all of its goodies the first time and makes it useless to return to it. I think many great films can be re-watched over and over. I can always enjoy a good film no matter how many times I see it.

So my collection is quite extensive but hardly massive.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know; i am personally bored if i sit through a movie twice, since i know what i am going to see; yes, there are films which have details that escape one's attention the first time, but these are way limited in numbers, imo, they wouldn't really make more than 50. Stuff like 2001 and such, is what i mean. The rest, i like to take what they have to offer to me from the first viewing, which is usually more than enough for me smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    No meaning in purchasing dvd's for me, as i don't watch any movie more than once, esp. in very rare cases when i make it up to 2 or something. But still no meaning to have the dvd sitting and collecting dust for me as i never was any kind of collector, esp. a dvd collector. Only expection of the rule is musical dvd's / concerts, which i too don't own much of either.

A good point. I watch certain films over and over again, when buying DVD's I always try to consider the worth of having it, as in how many times I'll possibly watch it, I never buy them brand new on release either, I wait months until they become bargain priced.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I''ve never been much of a collector. I usually buy films I haven't seen before. If I don't like a film I either trade it with someone else or give it away. My collection counts 171 films, of which I haven't seen 54 films yet and still would like to trade about 30 titles. I like to keep my collection 'alive'.

My latest purchase:

Hak Se Wui Yi Wo Wai Kwai (Election 2) - I haven't even seen the first film by Johnny To.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Joep wrote
    My latest purchase:

Hak Se Wui Yi Wo Wai Kwai (Election 2) - I haven't even seen the first film by Johnny To.

You should, before watching the second one wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's probably only his second copy anyway.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. applause
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Wrong. But not to worry; a friend of mine has part one.

I've made the same 'mistake' with a South-Korean film trilogy. Two of them were on sale for 2.50 euros each, and the middle part of the trilogy wasn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    FREQUENCY

I like this sci-fi thriller. Nice imagination and good story telling. Moreover, score by Michael Kamen is great.

THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES

I like this movie very much. Its a very good family entertainment. I like James Horner score for this movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009
    MINORITY REPORT

At last, i have purchased this in DVD format. I was waiting for long time to get this DVD in discount offer. Now, i got the opportunity. Its really wonderful. This is one of my favorite Spielberg films. This is really excellent sci-fi thriller i have ever seen. Most importantly, Tom Cruise have displayed his acting skills superbly. If i he would have won the Oscar for best actor, it would have been no surprises for me. Score is equally good, it really suits the movie very well. Overall, i feel great and i really think it will be one of my greatest DVD collection.

NUMBER ONES

This is yet another MJ DVD music video album. This is really good collection, music video from his various albums. I am very glad to have this DVD.
  7. Sunil wrote

NUMBER ONES

This is yet another MJ DVD music video album. This is really good collection, music video from his various albums. I am very glad to have this DVD.

Isn't Number Ones just a repeat of the best music videos from History on Film I and II? Meaning it's obsolete if you already have those two?
  8. Forrest Gump
    Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
    Rosemary's Baby

I've of course seen the movies before, so it is definitely a good addition to a collection I am already proud of smile
  9. Forrest Gump: I'm anxiously awaiting the blu-ray version. And Braveheart !!!!

Two films that ALWAYS get me VERY emotional. Brilliance!

Recent purchases are:
    Battlestar Galactica: Razor
    Alien Vs Predator (blu-ray)
    King Kong (blu-ray)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009
    Isn't Number Ones just a repeat of the best music videos from History on Film I and II? Meaning it's obsolete if you already have those two?

Maybe, but previously, there was no video albums like Man in the Mirror and You rock my world. I like You rock my world very much (featuring Chris Tucker and Marlon Brando), in fact, i was searching for this video for long time. I think its really worth buying this DVD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009
    Recent buys :

The new remastered DVD versions of ...

- Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan
    - Star Trek III The Search for Spock
    - Star Trek IV The Voyage Home

&

- Valiant
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009 edited
    Eric wrote
    Recent buys :

The new remastered DVD versions of ...

- Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan
    - Star Trek III The Search for Spock
    - Star Trek IV The Voyage Home

A great trilogy. Star Trek IV has so much heart and loads of fun in places!!

Having all ten in my collection I once thought about buying the blu-rays of the first six. But the DVD remasters are already so brilliant in the audio / visual department so I held off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009
    I already had all the old Star Trek DVD editions but I couldn't pass up on these new releases .
    And they're damn cheap as well , only € 7,90 per disc !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  10. American Beauty.

Almost bought it in the batch with Rosemary's Baby and Ghost Dog.