• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Happy National Day Thor!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2013
    Big up Norway punk

Get pissed Thor drink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2013 edited
    Thanks, Alan & Tim! Hardly a 'world event', but it's a big thing for us in this weird little CORNER of the world.

I haven't been to the town or the parades, but I'm donning a suit soon and going downtown for some BBQ and specialty beers with friends. The weather is variable, but right now pretty good.

I need to post a couple of Youtube videos in the day's honour (I'm allowed a bit of patriotism today, I hope).

A choral a cappella version of our national anthem set to images of Norway (moves me to goosebumps every time I watch it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … UtiIMZIVOU

And then a video of May 17th in Oslo, as seen through the eyes of an American traveller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … AjW0710Fz4
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The reason I knew was because my mother-in-law is currently in Bergen: it is the first port of call of a cruise she is on exploring the Norwegian fjords.

She set out from Liverpool earlier in the week. I am not sure where she is headed after Bergen - somewhere further north I think - but it should be great.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. There has been a factory fire about a mile from our house. Roads closed, trains delayed, etc.

Exploding propane tanks shook the house at the the height of the fire. It's been going on now for 4 hours and is now dying down.
  4. So, it's a boy, my British friends, did you loose or win any bets?

Any guesses concerning the name? I say "George"!

Or are you all Anti-Royal Republicans? confused

cheesy Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2013
    I'm glad it's all gone well and is healthy etc etc other than that I don't care at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2013
    I've heard the phrase 'the people's pregnancy' being bandied about without the slightest whiff of irony.
    I say it's time for a jolly old revolution.
    No.
    Wait.
    Scrap that.
    More adroitly the entire press corps should probably be executed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013
    ^
    I approve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ¡Viva la Revolución! punk

I wish I didn't have this knowledge in my brain. It's taking up space that could be filled with something interesting and useful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nobody talks about our new king. But a baby, who barely said anything clever, gets all the attention.

Ridiculous!
    Kazoo
  5. German TV covered the Belgian ceremonies almost all day. Rest assured, we do take notice.

cheesy Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    Or are you all Anti-Royal Republicans? confused

cheesy Volker

Royal stuff annoys me. I find something fundamentally wrong about the idea that some people are better or more interesting than others simply because they have been born into a particular family. It's one of the parts of human nature i find the worst, when people worship others for no good reason. It annoys me that wars and things that really matter are considered less important news than some rich chick having a baby. It annoys me that I'm constantly bombarded with this stuff every time I turn on the telly. And it annoys me that a huge amount of taxes go to that instead of health care and education.

Anyway, I realise that many people need this stuff, and royalty might be the safest outlet for this need to worship, as they don't have any real political power anymore; so politically I'm not really a republican.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Nobody talks about our new king.

Oh, we're talking about him alright!

Filip and Mathilde, sitting in a tree
    K-I-S-Q-F-...no, wait...K-I-Z-W...no, hold on...Q-Y-S-S...dammit Wrong again!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    applause
    Kazoo
  6. General Election in Norway!

THOR, DID YOU VOTE ALREADY?!!?

(If not, get your lazy behind to the ballot, will you?!)

wink Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013
    I did! Impressed you noticed the going-ons in our small and insignificant country. smile

While I was in the booth, I also saw that there was a referendum about Olympic Games application for 2022. I voted 'no'.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Olympics:
    So did the people in Vienna and the swiss canton Grisons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2013 edited
    Well, that was a mixed experience.

My own party -- Venstre (maybe close to Social Liberals in an international context) -- is still very small, but did well and is in a government position. The big, SCARY thing about the result is that we're getting a new, right-wing government (and the progressive right will be part of the government!) and a new prime minister. I can only hope that the two big right-wing parties which form government will ask Venstre to be part of it, and then Venstre can hopefully 'torpedo' some of their worst policies (esp. in relation to the environment, immigration etc.) or at least find reasonable compromises that don't completely undermine our social-democratic tradition.

Damn, it's difficult to speak about Norwegian politics in English so that it makes sense to everyone.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. A local (North of England) event suddenly becomes a worldwide news item:

http://nypost.com/2013/11/06/the-most-o … umes-ever/

"Two British teens participated in a nightclub costume contest dressed as the World Trade Center towers blazing on 9/11 – and won"

It beggars belief that anyone could come up with this sort of thing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013 edited
    Unbelievably thoughtless, that's for sure.

I wonder what Fancy Dress fan HARRY thinks about it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013
    I honestly found it rather funny. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013 edited
    It's not even all that original.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013
    I don't find it remotely funny ( though I'm not taking any moral high ground, I've laughed at many a sick joke ), it's more sad that a "newspaper" thinks this is important enough to splash on it's front page.
  9. The paper knows that it will infuriate a section of the readership. When you think about it, the newspaper is trying to gain from the tragedy of that day. Just like all the papers do when it comes to stories about Diana.
  10. I just heard that those two girls were actually at a bad taste costume contest. If there was a prize for "bad taste in journalism", I believe The Sun would be disqualified in order to give the rest of the rubbishy tabloids a chance. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I just heard that those two girls were actually at a bad taste costume contest. If there was a prize for "bad taste in journalism", I believe The Sun would be disqualified in order to give the rest of the rubbishy tabloids a chance. slant

The even more insidious rag The Daily Mail would always give it a good run for it's money, though unlike The Sun they'd suck any last semblance of "fun" out of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013 edited
    The strongest storm in recorded history has hit the Philippines. Amazing, as he says in this video, that the storm has winds the equivalent of an E3/E4 tornado. Considering that this typhoon is almost the size as Europe, that's one whopper of a tornado!

Anyway, we had the worst storm in recorded history in Denmark a couple of weeks ago, and I found that rather bad, but the winds were only about half this one.

Peter shocked
  11. If anyone were to read THIS then we'd probably not bother doing any Christmas shopping.

But I have a feeling that whatever they say and whatever slant they put on "legitimate" stories can be disregarded.

Christmas shopping it is then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2014/0 … close.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.