• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. plindboe wrote
    I do think that religions deserve the occasional scorn as well, considering that they, unlike blondes, actually do have a lot of negative effects around the world*.

Between Anna Nicole smith, Paris Hilton, Pamela Anderson, Gordon Ramsay and fabio I think you're understating the damage attributable to blondes.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Yeah, yeah and Hitler was vegetarian. So what?

My point is: I believe that only domination-free discourse (agression-free principle) can result in any progress in the long term. Therefore I always have to acknowledge my copunterpart as my equal without regard to his world view as long as his faring with me is likewise. No tolerance for intolerance.

Therefore I dislike bad behaviour while hiding away in the net's anonymity.

We owe some respect to our religious fellows that are of good will.

My model here is the discourse between the agnostic philosopher Jürgen Habermas and Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger.

That's all

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. ?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2013
    But you seem to contradict yourself, my Captain.
    Steven's initial remark, which prompted your outburst never addressed any individual but humorously connected two religious symbols, hence cannot possibly be construed as disrespectful even in your own post above (I strongly doubt Jesus, Ishtar or the Easter Bunny took offense).

Now if some individuals should elect (!) to take offense at Steven's statement, then that would be their choice. But that couldn't possibly reflect badly on the maker of the statement as being disrespectful towards that individual! And moreover, how could one *possibly* weigh each an all consequence, imagined or not, of any statement to have any potential bearing on any and all belief, value or conviction? Would it be just as disrespectful to make such a statement (the chocolaty one) about freedom of speech! About Death? About the Yeti? About representational democracy?

I hold that the difference between "you are a manipulative, sick fuck" is FUNDAMENTALLY different from "Mohammed was a manipulative, sick fuck".

Whether or not one agrees with your non-aggression approach (I personally think it's well-intentioned, but disagree strongly with it as a structural approach but that's an entirely different subject (which I'll be happy to entertain and discuss if required)), the simple fact of the matter is that no person has the RIGHT not to feel offended (note the subtle change I made to Pullman's axiom there).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. "Mohammed was a manipulative, sick fuck."

Of course you have every right to say that.
    Whoever might feel offended is entitled to say so, but ultimately will have to deal with it.

But in no way is uttering such a statement in public cultivated behaviour and in no way will such a statement surf any proper purpose beyon the yielding some personal infantil furor which has nothing to so with any kind of sophisticated debate.

The responsibility is with the sender as well as with the receiver.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    "Mohammed was a manipulative, sick fuck."
    But in no way is uttering such a statement in public cultivated behaviour and in no way will such a statement surf any proper purpose beyon the yielding some personal infantil furor which has nothing to so with any kind of sophisticated debate

And exactly there is where we part ways: the very fact that 'Mohammed' is mentioned seems to trigger a knee-jerk reaction (on pretty much anyone's side). This particular case is interesting (I chose my example carefully), because there is absolutely no doubt that the historical war lord Mohammed WAS a manipulative, sick fuck on the level of Dzenghis Khan or China's Band Of Four.

But oddly no one seems to think twice about calling Stalin a sick, manipulative fuck, even though he is quite literally (still) revered throughout Russia and its satellite states as a saint!

Therefore the conclusion is inescapable that it's not the discourse or the epithets that really matter: it's the actual object! It *matters* whether you refer to Kim Jong Un or to Jesus!
    And that worries me.
    What you may consider cultivation and proper purpose to me may seem appeasement and fear. Not all parties are always equal. Not all values are always equally proper.

You are very correct that in all communication, no matter the cultural context or background, as a matter of general principle the responsibility lies with both sender and receiver.
    But my sense is that especially in cases of religion, there is an inordinate amount of responibility currently on the shoulders of the sender, while the receivers, at times quite literally, get away with murder.

...which, incidentally, is veering away rather diametrically from Steven's quite innocent, humorous post on chocolate and messiahs. But then I sense that your response to that had less to do with that particular post (which to my mind would have been a case of slightly overreacting), but with the principle of the thing which we are discussing now. (I may be wrong, of course!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. I think it might have been the general principle.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Yeah, yeah and Hitler was vegetarian. So what?

Exactly. Vegetarians are anti-Semitic.

To Martijn:

yeah

(I'm feeling lazy, as you can see.)
  6. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Yeah, yeah and Hitler was vegetarian. So what?

Exactly. Vegetarians are anti-Semitic.

To Martijn:

yeah

(I'm feeling lazy, as you can see.)

Right. Let's settle on that one.

Did I really write "surf" instead of "serve" ?!!?

Ohhhhhoooohhhh (wolf-howl)

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Gee! I take all this effort composing proper, cogent and coherent answers and arguments, and all I get (more or less) is a "ditto" and a "whatever". cry

See if I ever get involved in any discussion again! angry

Captain Future wrote
    Did I really write "surf" instead of "serve" ?!!?

Ya did...but I thought it would have been really petty of me to comment on it (although that sadly entailed me also deleting a really awful pun about surfing <purposes> on a public board. So thanks for mentioning it anyway! biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sorry old chum, I feel my replies would be a little redundant when you've put it so eloquently. wink That and I'm not quite sure what Captain Future is actually saying. I'm a little baffled how a perfectly benign joke, intended purely for shits and giggles, results in him being ashamed for his lack of belief in a deity. (Hence my brain/bad thoughts analogy and my facetious remarks about Stalin and Hitler.)

Though for clarity's sake, I suppose I could say this: I also agree with Peter.

( biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

NOT helping. angry
  7. I'm sorry I reacted so vehemently, but I did agree with Captain and also recently I've been in a weird mood, so I picked up on it...

In general, good-natured jokes about religion are very funny, but when most of jokes either calls every single priest a pedophile or things like that, I'm, well, less than happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm, well, less than happy.

Something to make EVERYONE happy! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm, well, less than happy.

Something to make EVERYONE happy! smile

Chocolate Jesus? lick love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. I guess if that was given for Communion, religion would have much more followers today wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Chocolate conquers all, you could well be right Pawel biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

NOT helping. angry

Mwah! kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I guess we can all agree that Kim Jong Un is a sick fuck and i don't care how many idiots worship his farts.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    I guess we can all agree that Kim Jong Un is a sick fuck and i don't care how many idiots worship his farts.

When I read things like this I am ashamed to be anti-dictatorship myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's because you're obviously So ronery and sadry arone and take everything on the internets too seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stop it! Stop taking liberal, democratic culture downstream!

Okay, I'll stop now.
  9. What is more worrying, the tensions between the Koreans or the US having a Defence Secretary called Chuck.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2013
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    What is more worrying, the tensions between the Koreans or the US having a Defence Secretary called Chuck.

I've had a few laughs tonight and this is one of them biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My God, that dickhead is announcing today that he got the ok to launch nuclear weapons against the US. Somebody kill the little-dick prick!
  10. Demetris wrote
    My God, that dickhead is announcing today that he got the ok to launch nuclear weapons against the US. Somebody kill the little-dick prick!

Apparently, they may have the technology (and the nuclear material) to launch such an attack but their targetting technology is severely lacking - particularly long-range targetting.

So perhaps Canada and Mexico should be prepared as well for any attack.

All this echoes darkly many war movies where events unfold that inevitably leads to some confrontation, even though all the signs (and opportunities to stop) were there.

It is getting to the stage where the leader of North Korea has to do something because of all that has been said but, more importantly because there is now an expectation from the rest of his government to deliver on all his posturing. Is there going to be some sort of altercation that is driven by a single man's need to "save face" with his government so that he can save his job?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's just war rhetorics. I doubt anything is actually going to happen this way or that way, even though the rhetorics might be a bit more intense than under his father's rule.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013 edited
    Well, Jong-Un has to: conditions in North Korea continue to deteriorate, and his promises to shore up living conditions have so far come to nothing (quite the opposite). So he has no choice (as so many foreign leaders historically favoured to do) but to look towards a foreign enemy (real or perceived) to bond the nation together against a common foe (which naturally takes precedence over any paltry national considerations of economy, housing, food and health).

Plus, hypothetically of course but by no means an irrational scenario, it is not unlikely the very young Kim has quite a bit of scepticism and malfeasance to deal with from within the huge North Korean miltary industry. What better way to ensure loyalty (and possibly start a purge) than the threat (clearly provoked, of course!) of nuclear war?

I'm not worried in the least about the reality of war, but it's an ugly game Kim Jong-Un is playing, and he's playing it even dirtier than his father and grandfather before him.
  11. Do I remember rightly that when he was first shown off to people there was a level of (short-lived) optimism that he may be a person to do business with?