• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010
    Sunil, get away from DT's keyboard.

But, seriously, can anyone really think of a good reason why people ever existed in the first place? All we ever basically did was serving our own selfish needs and killing the environment and each other in order to do so.

And i am serious too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Yeah he apparently hacked my account for a while there.

Well he's gone now. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    All we ever basically did was serving our own selfish needs and killing the environment and each other in order to do so.

Isn't that just nature? It's just that we've managed to do them all extremely well?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010
    None of the other species destroys its hosting environment, unless am i mistaken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010
    Bregt wrote
    Now it also came out that BP was using the toxic Corexit (to dispense the oil) by a company of which it had stocks off.

Why wouldn't they use something from a company they had stock in? confused

Let's check our conspiracy badges at the door, shall we?

It's a terrible accident, which increasingly likely seems due to personnel not following regulation and safety procedures. But for those too young to remember, I am in mind of the Exxon Valdez disaster in the late eighties, which environmentalists predicted would be worst oil-related disaster in histroy, with an impact for decades to come.

In fact, within five years the spill had been cleared and wildlife is teeming as never before.

If we stop pointing fingers and hanging our heads in gloom and doom we'll fix this one as well.
    It's been done before. We'll do it again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    smile

Okay then. No problem then!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    None of the other species destroys its hosting environment, unless am i mistaken.

Yeah. We were all going to die of food shortages by the seventies.

Strangely, that didn't happen.

Then by the eighties it was air pollution and acid rain.

Oddly we're still here.

Then in the nineties all the water was running out.

And again, we're doing fine.

This "we don't deserve out beautiful planet" crap gets right up my nose.
    It's all a matter of balance. ANd that balance is dynamic. No such thing as a static equilibrium in nature: things die out, and disasters happen, and guess what: more often than not we have nothing to do with it!

If we by and large take our responsibility the planet can take care of itself.

Will it look different in ten thousand years?
    Sure.
    Would it have looked different in ten thousand years without any human intervention?
    Sure.

We are grossly overestimating our capability for destruction: we're not doing anything that nature won't balance out. Short of us exploding a dozen or three hydrogen bombs in the upper atmosphere, we'll survive, so will the planet, and so will nature.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    smile

Okay then. No problem then!

Of COURSE it's a fucking problem.
    But it's not the end of the world, not the epitome of man's inhuman lust for annihilation, as some would have it.

We broke something. We'll fix it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I never said it was the end of the world. Or the epitome of man's inhuman lust for annihilation.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We need to fix a few things
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Christodoulides wrote

We don't go out and deliberately kill our environment; it's the extent to which we use the resources of the planet that's got it in for us. And a lot of what we are doing is accelerating natural processes.

Something like locusts destroy their environment by consuming all their food. But they can move on to the next field...and the next...and then the next. Given enough of them then they would exhaust all the the resources, destroying their environment.

It's all a matter of degree. As Martijn says, it's a balance. If you tip the balance too much then things go awry. Until the balance is again achieved. It may be a different balance and one that doesn't feature us. But it's a balance.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I never said it was the end of the world. Or the epitome of man's inhuman lust for annihilation.

But you thought it.
    I know you did.

(You're Belgian. You have no choice but be pessimistic.
    wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, i am no hippie or anything, i am just trying to look at it all from the outside, as much as possible. As top of the food chain, we serve no other purpose than to satisfy our own selves in burden of the nature around us. We haven't ever created anything for anyone else other than our own selves. Civilization you say? Yeah, of course, but that's only useful and understandable to us alone. I am not catastrophologist either and i am not suggesting that the world is going to end tomorrow, but we really are hurting the planet. TO what degree? I don't know, but we surely are; just take a look at those pictures and that's just a minor example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    but we really are hurting the planet. TO what degree? I don't know, but we surely are.

But EVERYTHING is!
    Mosquitoes and flies are hurting the planet (mass viral infections, cattle mortality). Predator fish are hurting the planet (plankton mortality leading to moss infections and fish extinction). The PLANET is hurting the planet (volcanoes. Earth quakes). Et cetera!

ALL upset what we call "balance" (and in case of the Earth doing its worst, it's FAR more devastating than anything man could come up with).

The things is that any imbalance will lead to a NEW balance.
    Not the one we knew, maybe, but why should that -by definition- be bad?
    Shit happens every day, and we -and the world- cope.

Obviously that is not to say we should abandon all resposibility: we are cognitive creatures and are aware of the repercussions of what we do. And there is no excuse to NOT try and do the best we can. But to my mind there's still absolutely no need to get neurotic about it: things to my mind were much worse when we were threatened with atomic annihilition a few decades back: now THAT would leave a footprint that would so radically alter any aspect of earth that it might have ahd to change the very definition of life. We're nowehere near that now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Martijn wrote

But EVERYTHING is!
    Mosquitoes and flies are hurting the planet (mass viral infections, cattle mortality). Predator fish are hurting the planet (plankton mortality leading to moss infections and fish extinction). The PLANET is hurting the planet (volcanoes. Earth quakes). Et cetera!

Errr....what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Volcanoes and earth quakes are natural events, it's the planet being alive and reacting. They hurt nobody else but the human.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Point well missed, Demetris. applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    which is?...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010 edited
    Read Martijn's post again, or just wait for Martijn's reply... I really can't be arsed to expla-- ah fuck it.

First of all, it's all about the balance. The universe, and as an extension our planet, is always trying to reach a state of equilibrium (and yet constantly progressing towards a state of greater entropy). Hence we get volcanoes, earthquakes, bad weather, good weather, evolution, gas escaping from your coke bottle, you name it. (Second of all, volcanoes and other natural events effect -and often hurt- not just humans, but all forms of life too.) Though it may effect us in a negative way now and in the near future, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter - life lives on. The planet will survive. (That is until the day the earth reaches its end, engulfed by the sun having turned into a red giant a few billion years from now most likely, or at least close enough to it to be scorched so badly that nothing will survive.)

Thirdly, life on this planet has survived far worse and greater influences than mankind has ever and perhaps ever will cause; life has hit the reset button on numerous occasions. If it hadn't, we probably wouldn't be here to talk about it. So it's not the planet we should worry about, it's us we should worry about. Our future, and perhaps the future of other species we deem worthy of our empathy. But life will go on regardless and the planet doesn't give a shit whether we drive or walk to work.

So be it volcanoes or us, it doesn't matter. In the end, it all just leeds to new balance. (The thing is whether that balance is one that suits our needs as a species.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010
    In my post I was pointing at the unshameful lies and greed game BP plays.

Volcanoes are responsible for life though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, for a few reasons. As is the case with many things, if it wasn't for volcanoes we wouldn't be here!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010 edited
    Really? I had thought that since time began, Dinosaurs, Volcanoes, Robots and Simon Maccorkingdale as Manimal were mankinds deadliest enemies.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And Raqeul Welch's bikini.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    And Raqeul Welch's bikini.

Aye, tis an ample barrier to breach lad.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    You guys just keep cracking me up... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    So I guess the point is Martijn that we just keep on doing what we're doing. This latest oil spill in the gulf is revolting to me. Makes me not want to drive anymore.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    So I guess the point is Martijn that we just keep on doing what we're doing.

No, we just shouldn't drop everything, or worry and work us to the bone to achieve reparation (rather unfeasible in nature anyway) under the misnomer of ecological or natural balance.

If we mess up, obviously we should clean up (oil spills included).
    But to suggest that every single change in the current balance is not only evil but due to human interaction alone is counter-productive and stagnating. Change happens all the time, and nature has proven for the last four billion years it can pretty much take care of its own.

So yes, mankind, by all means keep on going, but in the words of a famous eighties' police series character: "let's be careful out there".
  4. What about deforestation (correct word?)? That has only existed since the 20th century, because technology has allowed man to do that. It's a little frightening we've been able to take a good chunk away of the planets lungs in only a couple of decades. Will nature take care of that too?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Roman empire were a cause of mass deforestation centuries ago. But yeah, a lot of species will be exterminated without ever being discovered at this rate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That said, new species of plants and insects are pretty much discovered every day.