• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011
    Bregt wrote
    I'm shocked and angry at the situation in Libya. What a fucking bastard. FUCK!

Morocco got a bit agitated yesterday but it was cold and raining and they all went home....very Moroccan wink

The situation in Libya is horrible, I just heard on the news that they want to stop all inbound flights to Tripoli to stop mercenaries coming in.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    They're now bombing Tripoli!?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011 edited
    One of the things is that I always thought Gaddafi wasn't the worst one. Fuck me. Who told me that, and why did I have that impression.

Still in utter disbelief over what is happening. I'm not going to sleep soon, and I shouldn't care so much.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I remember the "good ol' days" when Gaddafi supported the IRA, he was NEVER a good guy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011
    Yeah, obviously you weren't around much in the Eighties, Bregt, when Ghadaffi was Public Enemy Number One.
    I remember him firing off a torpedo (!) at the Cannes Film Festival right after some US fighter planes knocked some sense into him (well, obviously that didn't work, but interestingly he became a bit of a stabilising, moderate Islamic influence in that region after that. So internationally he has been a bit of a boon the last twenty years.
    Nationally, apparently, rather less so in the last twenty days. slant )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    You do care; 'cause this can spark a major worldwide oil crisis. Texaco and Bp are already rushing out of Libya as announced today, and are ceasing their operations here. Worldwide oil production has just gone down 50.000 barrels today as they announced and you can only imagine what a major scale of crisis such a notion would bring to the world if it continues. Uproar in middle east, the world is fucked due to oil dependency.

Finally, some proper incentive for (fnding towards) research into oil alternatives.
    You KNOW it was never gonna happen unless a total crisis necessitates it.

If the Saudi royals in the meantime get their backsides handed to them on a platter, I don't see any downsides.

Except for the locals. But then generally violent revolutions tend to do that.
    And except for the real danger of the resurgence of a fundamentalist Islamic Middle East.

I see a couple of major downsides, actually. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. In a way this series of revolutions seems to be completely non-fundamentalist.

Some weeks ago I talked to a kebab store owner here in Poland, by my university. He is a Baghdad born Iraqi who has lived in Poland for last 25 years and was watching Al-Jazeera at the moment. He said that the issues aren't at all religious (which in case of Egypt was particularly important, because this and Jordan are for example the only two Arab countries which acknowledge Israel as a state, so if Egypt turned fundamental, that would be a grave danger to the state), but political and dealing with poverty.

Also, at least according to NY Times and Washington Post (or one of them at least), the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt is going through deep conflicts at the moment. so their power is somehow waned. They also promised not to run in elections that would happen after Mubarak's leave.

Also this resurgence of protests also reinforced the anti-Ahmadjinezzad protests in Iran and those are definitely *against* a Muslim state. Analysts say that what's happening in the Middle East and North Africa right now may lead to those countries picking the Turkish model, which is army as a constitutional defender of the separation between state and religion.

Comparison to the "People's Autumn" of 1989 are very interesting and that's the direction where European analyses seem to go in.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think there is an incredible amount of wishful thinking in those analyses.
    All revolutions show that picking up the power will be the best organised, most hierarchically solid entity.
    In those regions only the army and the clergy qualify, IF -as in China and Iran- the totalitarian government proper doesn't actually already fill that void.

Any other, or more detailed analysis I have read is generally too eurocentric for my taste.
    It's gonna be an interesting time, sociologically speaking.

...if I divorce my emotions from the appalling violence.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I see that two Libyan pilots are seeking political asylum in Malta after flying their jets there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And more horror of a natural kind happening...

CHRISTCHURCH
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I was in Christchurch a year ago today. It's been a terrible year so far for Australia and New Zealand!
    Floods, cyclones and earthquakes! Very sad!
    All the "end times" dooms day folk are lapping this up and making the most of it over here. Humans! rolleyes
  2. But the end is coming, the Mayas said so.

In all honesty, I don't know whether it's because of global communication so that we learn of everything that goes on on this planet at all times but haven't major disasters been occurring more frequently these last few years, possibly hinting that something infinitely worse may be in store for us? Probably this has been going on for ages now, right?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011 edited
    Atham wrote
    I was in Christchurch a year ago today. It's been a terrible year so far for Australia and New Zealand!
    Floods, cyclones and earthquakes! Very sad!
    All the "end times" dooms day folk are lapping this up and making the most of it over here. Humans! rolleyes

There's always some 'silly buggers' pitiable rolleyes

I remember Christchurch very well and had a great time there. Sadly it seems inevitable that the death toll will rise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    But the end is coming, the Mayas said so.

In all honesty, I don't know whether it's because of global communication so that we learn of everything that goes on on this planet at all times but haven't major disasters been occurring more frequently these last few years, possibly hinting that something infinitely worse may be in store for us? Probably this has been going on for ages now, right?

There are just as many earthquakes as before. But since the human population is growing almost exponentially these days, building more and more cities for earthquakes and floods to knock down, disasters due to earthquakes has probably risen. Global warming has contributed to hurricanes. Actually there are fewer of them, but they have increased somewhat in intensity.

But mostly the perception is an effect of increased reporting. There's also a tendancy for people, when they look back in time to forget about the bad and just focus on the good, even though disasters were reported back then as well.

In any case, I bet a new pathogen will wipe many us of out sooner or later, as they are also arising more and more since humans are intermingling more and expanding into new areas.

In any case, I think we're like cockroaches, in that we as a species will survive just about anything. So don't worry, be happy.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    Indeed, people tend to get naive as years, medicine, technology and everything improves, and tend to really believe that such bad events belong to the past and can't happen to us, not anymore.
  3. For some reason I have an app on my phone that lists worldwide earthquakes and looking through it there seems to be 20-25 earthquakes around the world of magnitude 3.0 and above. Certainly 2-3 above 5.0. So they are not rare.

I think that, with increasing news reporting - particularly the need to fill 24 hour news channels - a lot more of these disasters are being reported. These channels just love crisis, sufferring, natural disasters, especially if it has great footage.

Even the weather forcast has to have that element of danger with the issuing of "severe weather" warnings for things such as some heavy rain and using language that is likely to worry some quarters of the population.

On a related topic, I don't think it is right for the increasing number of times the BBC news uses their channel or bulletins to run a story that is an advert for a current affairs programme later in the day.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, obviously you weren't around much in the Eighties, Bregt, when Ghadaffi was Public Enemy Number One.
    I remember him firing off a torpedo (!) at the Cannes Film Festival right after some US fighter planes knocked some sense into him (well, obviously that didn't work, but interestingly he became a bit of a stabilising, moderate Islamic influence in that region after that. So internationally he has been a bit of a boon the last twenty years.
    Nationally, apparently, rather less so in the last twenty days. slant )

He did what!?

Apparently I was not very well informed. It sure has to do with the sometimes 'positive' comments from the news. Also, our minister of foreign stuff recently told that had voted for Libya for the UN Human Rights Council, next to 140 other countries because it had recently opened up towards the West, or something like that. Surely, that gave me the wrong impression.

I also read a book about a well-known reporter/musician here (The Road to Mekka) in which he travelled these Middle Eastern countries from west to east and in which Libya didn't really seems to have a bad reputation. Some interviews with citizens showed they supported the amount of decision making (sort of referenda). Clearly, I have read the wrong books. biggrin

Makes it all the way more depressing and awful.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2011 edited
    North Korea modestly joins the protesting for better lives:
    http://english.chosun.com/site/data/htm … 00383.html

And then there's also South Korea's push (source The Guardian)
    The events in the middle east are having far-reaching repercussions it seems, with South Korea using the revolutions in an apparent attempt to goad North Koreans into similar protests.

The South Korean military has been dropping leaflets into North Korea about the pro-democracy protests in Egypt, conservative South Korean parliament member Song Young-sun said.The country has also sent food, medicines and radios for residents as part of a psychological campaign aimed at encouraging North Koreans to think about change.

The food and medicines were delivered in light-weight baskets tied to balloons with timers programmed to release the items above the target areas in the impoverished North, Song said in a statement.

South Korea's defence ministry declined to confirm the move, citing its policy of not commenting on sensitive issues in its dealings with the North.

The food items bore a message saying they were sent by the South Korean military and were safe for human consumption but could be fed to livestock to test safety, Song said.
    The leaflets also carried news of public protests in Libya against the country's long-time leader, Song's office said.

Analysts say the level of Pyongyang's control over communications and movement of people is too tight to make it likely for North Koreans to rise up in similar protests against their leaders.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011
    Mmkay.

We are fucked.

Have you seen oil prices lately?

When i bought my car in 2009, for instance, here in Greece unleaded 95 was 90cents of euro / per litre. Now it's 1.60 and counting. Yay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mmkay.

We are fucked.

When i bought my car in 2009, for instance, here in Greece unleaded 95 was 90cents of euro / per litre. Now it's 1.60 and counting. Yay.

In Norway, it's almost 2 Euro.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, and rising.
    Not really surprised.
    Slightly surprised other people still seem surprised.

For many reasons fossil fuels are NOT the wave of the future.
    Like I said earler, i REALLY hope this will be the kickstart the world needs for more extensive, concentrated efforts towards oil alternatives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mmkay.

We are fucked.

In Norway, it's almost 2 Euro.

Diesel is 1.35 euros / liter in Spain. Hooray.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, and rising.
    Not really surprised.

Like I said earler, i REALLY hope this will be the kickstart the world needs for more extensive, concentrated efforts towards oil alternatives.

i am not surprised my friend. I am angry and disappointed because still in 2011 the world has done so much and reached so far but yet depends on middle friggin east for its resources.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, and rising.
    Not really surprised.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2011 edited
    Gaddafi is nearing Benghazi (should the UN intervene, or keep on chatting about blocking his money?), Yemen is still shooting on its protesters, Bahrain called the help of Saudi Arabia, in the latter police outnumbered protesters last Friday, in Iran it's quiet on the surface again, North-Korea has had some small protests and in Ivory Coast the cacao doesn't get out of the country because of an upcoming civial war...

And in the US there's a Day of Rage coming as well, and a spokesman had to resign because Obama thinks it's just fine to torture a prisoner who hasn't had a trial yet...
    http://wlcentral.org/node/1454

This all depressing me, and there's nothing one can do.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2011
    I'm dreading that while world eyes are (rightfully) on Japan, we forget what's happening in the Arab world. I wish the UN would act and support the Libya rebels as much as possible - which seems to be the most pressing area right now in terms of overthrowing regimes.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A no-fly zone should have already been in place by now IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But would that solve the problem, or could that lead to a bigger confrontation, and perhaps a war?

Just read there's a state of emergency in Bahrain, after a protester shot dead one of those imported Saudi Arabian police man. Oh dear!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011
    The Japan earthquake was the best thing that could have happened to Gaddafi... rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes