• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009
    Played:

Troy - Gabriel Yared
    I'm not familiar with Horner's score so I don't compare the two. As for Yared's effort, it is a majestic, very enjoyable work with fantastic choral parts.

Corleone/Il Pentito - Ennio Morricone
    The usual gorgeous melodies from the Maestro with the also usual annoying - and long - tension tracks. Honestly, I don't understand why they HAVE TO include these unlistenable materials on the CDs. They just spoil the otherwise stunning score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    Am I the only one who hasn't bought a single 2009 score so far?

NP: The Essential Michel Legrand Film Music Collection shocked

More info please?

And how long is the 'Le Messenger' ( aka The Go-Between ) variations?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Have you ever heard THE UNTOUCHABLES Steven?

Indeed I have. A prime example of a Morricone score I can't stand.

THE THING?

MARCO POLO?

SECRET OF THE SAHARA?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

MARCO POLO?

SECRET OF THE SAHARA?

Seriously?!?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just wondering if Steven has ever heard them!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They are gorgeous!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No kidding D, they are two of my favourite scores by the maestro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Thing surprisingly is one I like. Brilliant film music, although I rarely listen to it away from the film.

I've heard the theme to Marco Polo on the Yo-Yo Ma album and... well, it doesn't do much for me I'm afraid.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Thing surprisingly is one I like. Brilliant film music, although I rarely listen to it away from the film.

I've heard the theme to Marco Polo on the Yo-Yo Ma album and... well, it doesn't do much for me I'm afraid.

You like THE THING!? ....*phew!* face-palm-mt <--mops brow

I love The Thing, a moody, textured score and a great creepy late night listen.

Maybe one day you'll hear a Morricone score that blows you away.....or maybe never!??
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hope so, he's clearly a great film composer and I'm clearly missing out on a lot. Who knows, maybe when I'm older I'll learn to like it, but for now his style just doesn't sit well with me. It's such a unique style with oodles of passion - but that's the problem. The 'oodles of passion' just accentuates the style that I don't like! Horner, for example, has 'oodles of passion' in his music too, and admittedly it's quite pretentious in many cases - but it's a style I love. (If you see what I mean!?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Horner has 'oodles of cheese" in his music i'd say, good ol'90's enjoyable film music fun for sure, i'd say. Morricone is the one with the passion in his music.
  1. Antineutrino wrote

Given the pervasive downloading culture in our circles, I would be surprised if you were.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Horner has 'oodles of cheese" in his music i'd say, good ol'90's enjoyable film music fun for sure, i'd say. Morricone is the one with the passion in his music.

I'd be hard to pressed to imagine that scores like Braveheart, Legends of the Fall and Glory (for example) are lacking in passion.

Also, he's not just a composer of the 90s!? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

NP: The Essential Michel Legrand Film Music Collection shocked

More info please?

And how long is the 'Le Messenger' ( aka The Go-Between ) variations?

This is the Silva Screen compilation from 2005 which is not played with the Prague orchestra but with the Flemish Radio orchestra conducted by Legrand himself. The arragements of the pieces seem to be a bit different than in their respective films (esp. The Thomas Crown Affair). IMHO this are very good arragements.

I only have two Legrand scores (The Three Musketeers and The Thomas Crown Affair) but this compilation will surely make me purchase a few more.

The Go-Between track lasts 10 minutes (although the back cover says 14 minutes) with Legrand performing the harpsichord.

My favourites are Young Girls of Rochefort, Never Say Never Again, The Three Musketeers and Yentl. I think Southall reviewed this release a few years ago and gave it four or five stars (which I would agree with).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'd be hard to pressed to imagine that scores like Braveheart, Legends of the Fall and Glory (for example) are lacking in passion.

Also, he's not just a composer of the 90s!? dizzy

Yes but his sound has that distinct 90's, early 00's film music sound no matter what. I just love that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Stefan, this has now become an essential ( groan ) purchase for me. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes but his sound has that distinct 90's, early 00's film music sound no matter what. I just love that.

And also a distinct 80s sound from -startlingly enough- his 80s scores! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd say a mix of both 80's but mostly 90's (The decade where he shined anyway) is what makes his sound, to date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He also shined in the 80s! biggrin dizzy

His more recent scores do carry certain 90s traits, like his use of synths, but I don't think his style can be pinned down by simply calling it '90s'. All The King's Men, for example, feels like a very modern score to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ....and it's just an exception wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not really. As I said, some of his recent score carry traits from his 90s scores like the synths, but I don't think they sound 90s. They sound 00s - 00s Horner to be more precise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They sound the same to me as before, only with more improved sound every time. All the techniques are all the same, slightly bit more mature in times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

Been a while since I played this, now playing in full glory. Some of Hans' most moving music and a great film score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

Been a while since I played this, now playing in full glory. Some of Hans' most moving music and a great film score!

Indeed, i just love this score with all its massive energy and influential sound!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Indeed, i just love this score with all its massive energy and influential sound!

I'm going to have to spin this one again to hear this "influential sound."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Give a spin at most of the modern scores by younger composers out there. BHD has influenced a bunch of them, not only RC composers. And of course game music.
  2. keky wrote
    Played:

Troy - Gabriel Yared
    I'm not familiar with Horner's score so I don't compare the two. As for Yared's effort, it is a majestic, very enjoyable work with fantastic choral parts.

Horner's Troy is mediocre at best if you compare it to his other works and Yared's entry, but quite good considering the few weeks he had to write it in.

I'm still totally baffled by the fact that Yared's score was rejected. It's superior in every way and I totally love it. My respect for Petersen went a tad down the day he made that decision. I wish Petersen would one day release Troy with that score mixed into the film.

Henry V (Patrick Doyle)

Stunningly beautiful work. This kind of elegance and beauty in film music is slowly fading away in these times. This ranks among Doyle's most inspired soundtracks. I have never seen the film but I can just imagine the impact it must have with the images. 'St Crispin's Day - The Battle of Agincourt' is such a brilliant example of pure emotion that is getting so rare these days. This score is now 20 years old, dating from a awesome period for film scores. I miss those days.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Give a spin at most of the modern scores by younger composers out there. BHD has influenced a bunch of them, not only RC composers. And of course game music.

If you say so.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Henry V (Patrick Doyle)

Stunningly beautiful work. This kind of elegance and beauty in film music is slowly fading away in these times. This ranks among Doyle's most inspired soundtracks. I have never seen the film but I can just imagine the impact it must have with the images. 'St Crispin's Day - The Battle of Agincourt' is such a brilliant example of pure emotion that is getting so rare these days. This score is now 20 years old, dating from a awesome period for film scores. I miss those days.

BEST. SHAKESPEARE. FILM. EVER!!! And Doyle's score, IMHO, is one of the greatest debut film scores of all time and is still Doyle's greatest work!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

If you say so.

-Erik-

I am sure i am not the only one? Just listen to DISTRICT 9, one new score that comes to mind. Do you have counter-arguments? The electric violin with the middle eastern elements and percussion in this war-like sound was utilized by Zimmer in BHD and copied since, in game music (Bill Brown's Command and Conquer and many others) to many new scores (Marc Streitenfield and other RC composers) since.