• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I had a feeling you might say that. And he does it beautifully, so it's no criticism. But I do think he's got it pretty easy. There's a lot of composers who'd love to get those gigs. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Halo 3: ODST (Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori)

First disc. After their phenomenal work on Halo 1, 2 and 3, this FPS spin-off is quite a departure from the known and loved thematic Halo music. Relying very much on ambience, and featuring some interesting instrumental choices, like a saxophone which crops up from time to time, a novel choice in a videogame soundtrack indeed. However it's thematically not as memorable as its granddaddy. The original Halo themes appear very scarcely throughout the album, and even then they're not fully developed renditions. I like the overall sound of the music, but I'm thinking this will have to get some more listens and even then I don't think I will rate this above Halo 3. It just sounds too monotonous in places.

Tomorrow disc two. smile

Rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish.

Not your opinion I hasted to add, but the music.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009
    Steven wrote
    I'm watching the very same sunset right now! (Strange as that may seem. rolleyes )

Balto James Horner

And what a score to go with it!

This certainly doesn't sound 90s whatsoever, not least in comparison to... oh I dunno... Crimson Tide? wink

Such a fantastic score! One of my favorites, and definitely one of Horner's best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I had a feeling you might say that. And he does it beautifully, so it's no criticism. But I do think he's got it pretty easy. There's a lot of composers who'd love to get those gigs. wink

He's in the Delerue League in my opinion. Only good comes out of this wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish.

Not your opinion I hasted to add, but the music.

Thank you for keeping me from wasting 2 hours of my life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Thank you for keeping me from wasting 2 hours of my life.

Well, don't be too trusting of my opinion... but yeah, it is rubbish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I had a feeling you might say that. And he does it beautifully, so it's no criticism. But I do think he's got it pretty easy. There's a lot of composers who'd love to get those gigs. wink

He's in the Delerue League in my opinion. Only good comes out of this wink

He's not in that league in my opinion, though admittedly I haven't heard much of his stuff. I love the main themes of the Man & Dog score, but it's hard work listening to them over and over again. While the same thing could be said of some Delerue scores, he had a deftness of touch which isn't evident (and in fairness probably wasn't warranted) in Man & Dog.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    right clicking-delete
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    JFK - JOHN WILLIAMS

Excellent score! i don't know why much people don't appreciate this wonderful score. Simply classic!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    JFK - JOHN WILLIAMS

Excellent score! i don't know why much people don't appreciate this wonderful score. Simply classic!

I appreciate it! A unique score from Williams in terms of the way the music's used in the film (ie writing pieces which could then be applied to various different parts of the film, rather than writing a true dramatic underscore - a very European approach). Great music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Village - James Newton Howard

The sheer brilliance of JNH's scores for Shyamalan's films serious whets my appetite for what he has in store for us next year in Last Airbender! lick
  2. NP: Julie/Julia (Desplat)

Great stuff. Nice light score that recalls The Terminal and Ratatouille's gallic flavour, although you can't help but feel you're getting a little bit more of the real thing with a french composer.

And this is the composer who has also done Cheri, Coco Avant Chanel, Afterwards, Un Prophete and L'Armee du Crime this year. :shakesheadindisbelief:
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Julie/Julia (Desplat)

Great stuff. Nice light score that recalls The Terminal and Ratatouille's gallic flavour, although you can't help but feel you're getting a little bit more of the real thing with a french composer.

And this is the composer who has also done Cheri, Coco Avant Chanel, Afterwards, Un Prophete and L'Armee du Crime this year. :shakesheadindisbelief:

Nice score indeed. It's been a great year for Desplat so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fast & Furious Brian Tyler

I'm actually quite enjoying this. But there's a trick to it: don't think of Tyler as a film composer, but rather an electro-acoustic record producer.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote

I think this has got to be my second favourite score of the year after Star Trek. It's so charming! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I think this has got to be my second favourite score of the year after Star Trek. It's so charming! love

"Charming" is the perfect description for this one. Really lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote

I know... can someone say over rated... except for Coco, which is really, really good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Julia & Julia Alexandre Desplat

About half way through. Very lovely... I guess. Certainly not on the level of The Terminal or Ratatouille.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    To hell with this.

Raiders of the Lost
    Ark John Williams

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I know... can someone say over rated... except for Coco, which is really, really good!

-Erik-

Desplat is overrated? Give me a break. He's one of the 2-3 young composers that are truly deserving it these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've not listened to Julie and Julia yet apart from the film but I liked the movie. I appreciate the talent of Streep.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm listening quite carefully to Exodus now.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

Desplat is overrated? Give me a break. He's one of the 2-3 young composers that are truly deserving it these days.

Bah! I don't hear... actually... let me rephrase... i don't feel it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    To hell with this.

Raiders of the Lost
    Ark John Williams

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... cool

Nothing beats a good dose of The Raiders March!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

Bah! I don't hear... actually... let me rephrase... i don't feel it.

-Erik-

And that makes him overrated?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes... emotion is one of, if not THE most important aspect of any GOOD music and I just don't connect with Desplat's music emotionally. Technically, the man is great - no doubt about that but maybe that's the problem. Everything is so precise and mathematical that most of his score are cold and barren emotionally.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Lover's Prayer - Joel McNeely

Arguably McNeely's finest film score. Read my previous condensed thoughts HERE and HERE

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes... emotion is one of, if not THE most important aspect of any GOOD music and I just don't connect with Desplat's music emotionally. Technically, the man is great - no doubt about that but maybe that's the problem. Everything is so precise and mathematical that most of his score are cold and barren emotionally.

-Erik-

That's very surprising to read, i hear nothing cold or mathematical in Desplat's passionate themes and orchestral writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

That's very surprising to read, i hear nothing cold or mathematical in Desplat's passionate themes and orchestral writing.

Yeah.... no.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Maybe they're not your style. I notice you usually prefer sweeping, flowing and bold musical statements, whereas Desplat's music is far more intimate and esoteric. That doesn't deprive it of beauty or passion imo.