• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Maybe they're not your style. I notice you usually prefer sweeping, flowing and bold musical statements, whereas Desplat's music is far more intimate and esoteric. That doesn't deprive it of beauty or passion imo.

I have no problem with intimate scores or composers using restraint I just find that Desplat's music is empty emotionally. It's as if he is too afraid to stretch out the slightest bit and would rather stay unnoticed and just float underneath the surface. Then I wonder why music was even written if it's not really going to enhance the scene it was written for. A lot of Benjamen Button's score was like that. Empty and totally unmemorable.

Now, Desplat's music is still a curiosity for me (especially after hearing Birth) and he has introduced some truly unique devices into the art form but most of the time his music is a real struggle because it lacks any sort of emotional punch. A little emotional pinch wouldn't hurt either.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009
    I actually don't disagree there's beauty and passion in Desplat's music... but it feels far too restrained to my ears to really connect with me.

Desplat's music is analogous to seeing a very long mathematical equation written on a blackboard; sure, it's clever and I'm sure there's beauty there - but I'm damned if I can see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    And that makes him overrated?

Yes... emotion is one of, if not THE most important aspect of any GOOD music and I just don't connect with Desplat's music emotionally. Technically, the man is great - no doubt about that but maybe that's the problem. Everything is so precise and mathematical that most of his score are cold and barren emotionally.

-Erik-

I absolutely adore Desplat, but I can entirely see where you're coming from, and why someone would take a dislike of his music for that reason. There are times when I read people's opinions and just scratch my head, but I can see why you would react the way you do, even though it's the opposite reaction to the one I have.

I also wonder whether part of the problem is all the hype. I was actually thinking about that because of Philippe Rombi (if it weren't for all the hysteria surrounding his latest score then maybe I wouldn't have gone in with such high expectations, and may have ended up being pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed) - there is and always has been a tendency to over-praise things one likes and over-criticise things one doesn't, and in the age of the internet there's the opportunity to see a great many people doing the same thinig, which can create falsely high or low expectations of things. I'm probably just blabbering though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think that the fact that he, Giacchino, Rombi among a few others are some of the most gifted out there today, is in fact an exaggeration, is it?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't think that the fact that he, Giacchino, Rombi among a few others are some of the most gifted out there today, is in fact an exaggeration, is it?

I don't think any one is questioning their gift. They are indeed gifted... I just don't get the emotional charge from Desplat that I do from Giacchino or Rombi.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Maybe not, but of the three, only Desplat gives me something that connects with me on a truly personal level, the way my favourites from the past (Goldsmith, Morricone, North) have. I think he will some day belong in the list of great film composers (like the three I mentioned) who manage to impose their own unique, unmistakable personality on films in a way which truly supports the films but also allows one a true insight into the composer. There's a separate list of great film composers who are able to adapt themselves into perfectly supporting the needs of films without necessarily giving you that personal insight, and I'd imagine Giacchino will one day be in that list (headed by John Williams). I've not heard enough of Rombi to form an opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Schindler's List - John Williams

Perfection!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't think any one is questioning their gift. They are indeed gifted... I just don't get the emotional charge from Desplat that I do from Giacchino or Rombi.

-Erik-

Agreed! Desplat's style is usually very restrained, while Giacchino's is absolutely nuts and Rombi's is usually gushing with emotion.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    JFK - JOHN WILLIAMS

Excellent score! i don't know why much people don't appreciate this wonderful score. Simply classic!

I would say this score has had a lot of appreciation, particularly at this board.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I feel in a very defiant mood today, I have this irresistable urge to play Raiders of The Lost Ark so..........

NP : PLANET EARTH - George Fenton

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Pathfinder - Jonathan Elias

A brooding soundtrack which also has some surprising amount of thematic music .
    Elias certainly has talent and I for one am looking forward in hearing more from him ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    This is for everyone that loves big sweeping orchestral music, full of passion. The performances by the London Philharmonic are absolutely stunning. I kid you not. lick

The Best of Dragon Quest (Koichi Sugiyama)

The Dragon Quest orchestral albums are in a league of their own in the videogame music department, especially if you take into account this music was performed by the good old synth midi instruments of yesteryear. The music belongs to very old videogames and the original synthesized music reflects that. Why am I so ecstatic about this self-made album? Well simply because the orchestral arrangements are bloody brilliant, I mean full of melody and passionate performances by all instruments of orchestra, the London Philharmonic of all things. The music here isn't kiddy stuff, it has a very mature and developed sound, almost classical in nature, with an emphasis on very romantic themes. Unbelievable these used to be midi-styled compositions. You really should hear the difference to know what I'm talking about. There are also tracks of pure adventure, eerie mystery, incredibly rousing action, and awesome heroic statements. This compilation has it all. I basically took the best tracks from the orchestral albums (7 of them, 1 for every installment if you don't count the eighth). If you love your film music (or in this case game music disguised as film music) bold and memorable this album will sweep you off your feet !!!!

Check out this cue to get an idea how the music sounds.

Or this one, the main theme of DQ III.

PM me if you want it, hey I want to share my wealth + the sound quality is fantastic. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

And this is the composer who has also done Cheri, Coco Avant Chanel, Afterwards, Un Prophete and L'Armee du Crime this year. :shakesheadindisbelief:

I know... can someone say over rated... except for Coco, which is really, really good!

-Erik-

Desplat is overrated? Give me a break. He's one of the 2-3 young composers that are truly deserving it these days.

If you take the bait, the bear trap 'my opinion' will come slamming shut. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Maybe they're not your style. I notice you usually prefer sweeping, flowing and bold musical statements, whereas Desplat's music is far more intimate and esoteric. That doesn't deprive it of beauty or passion imo.

I have no problem with intimate scores or composers using restraint I just find that Desplat's music is empty emotionally. It's as if he is too afraid to stretch out the slightest bit and would rather stay unnoticed and just float underneath the surface. Then I wonder why music was even written if it's not really going to enhance the scene it was written for. A lot of Benjamen Button's score was like that. Empty and totally unmemorable.

Now, Desplat's music is still a curiosity for me (especially after hearing Birth) and he has introduced some truly unique devices into the art form but most of the time his music is a real struggle because it lacks any sort of emotional punch. A little emotional pinch wouldn't hurt either.

-Erik-

I remember Doug Adams said something like this after THE PAINTED VEIL. He wondered when Desplat's music would emotionally 'cut loose'. It was so poised in how it put across emotion. While I feel that his music has done so at times (HOSTAGE being the main one, but also GOLDEN COMPASS's lyra themes), I'd have to agree that he doesn't directly engage emotion like most film composers do. It's one of the main things I like about him - that whiff of austerity - but I can easily see why it wouldn't play well to a lot of others.

Southall's comparison to North is an apt one, I think. I haven't always 'got' North, although I understand his stuff a lot better than I used to. I'm rather amazed that such a distinctive voice was able to get away with doing film scores in so personal a style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's one of the main things I like about him - that whiff of austerity

Come on, let your hair down. Drink a crate of beer and pee off a bridge! Take a skydiving course! Learn how to salsa dance! Take a bath full of baked beans! Take back home the ugliest girl from a party!*

*This one is not so highly recommended
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Angels and Demons - Hans Zimmer

I've got horrible toothache and just want something brainless I can veg out to, so thought I'd give this another go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

I've got horrible toothache and just want something brainless I can veg out to, so thought I'd give this another go.

You've got toothache and you decide to put some Zimmer on? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Eric wrote
    NP : Pathfinder - Jonathan Elias

A brooding soundtrack which also has some surprising amount of thematic music .
    Elias certainly has talent and I for one am looking forward in hearing more from him ...

It's been a long since i last heard it, but i certainly loved what i listened back then. Very dark and brooding stuff going on in there, full sound.
  3. Southall wrote

And?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

And?

He obviously can't talk right now. He's at the hospital!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

And?

He obviously can't talk right now. He's at the hospital!

I might have to... pain is excruciating. Fortunately, the Zimmer music helped. Very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009 edited
    NP: Angel - Philippe Rombi

Simply delightful! Easily my favorite film score from 2007 and one that I would put on my Top 10 of the decade!

-Erik-
  4. I was just listening to ANGEL this morning too. I have a 10-track version which I listen to most often, which covers the highlights.

NP: A River Runs Through it (Mark Isham)

With Isham and pastoral folk music, you're in pretty safe hands.

Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Come on, let your hair down. Drink a crate of beer and pee off a bridge! Take a skydiving course! Learn how to salsa dance! Take a bath full of baked beans! Take back home the ugliest girl from a party!*

Come now, if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be into it! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Fortunately, the Zimmer music helped. Very enjoyable.

Who are you!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Come now, if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be into it! wink

Why is the most restrained person on this forum an Australian? It makes no sense! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And the other most restrained member is Scottish!!! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

How excruciating, I feel for you James, I really do.

Sorry to hear about the toothache too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

That's what I'm sayin'!?
  5. NP: The Day Time Ended - Richard Band

I think that this is a gem in Band's discography; a discography that can be variable in quality to my ears.

"Beauty" is a main feeling I take away from this score and "Arrivaderci, Earth" is a fine example of this. Lovely stuff.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Exodus - Ernest Gold

Audio heaven!!!
    It's scores like this that make me thank the maker for giving me this musical taste!
    Just superb in every way! And what a recording!
    cool