• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009
    NP: Un Homme et Son Chien - Philippe Rombi

Best score of the year! No contest! Something truly remarkable is going to have to come along in the next few months to knock this gorgeous score off the top spot.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Let's hope it's Avatar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Alexander Nevsky Sergei Prokofiev

Good scores are so much better than crap scores. Thus endeth my lesson for today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Let's hope it's Avatar.

No chance wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, but I don't really like Rombi and I love Horner.

Un Homme et Sony Chin et Homer Simpson is a lovely score, but it doesn't set my pants on fire I'm afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, but I don't really like Rombi and I love Horner.

Un Homme et Sony Chin et Homer Simpson is a lovely score, but it doesn't set my pants on fire I'm afraid.

That really surprises me... especially for someone that is fond of something like Sabrina.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like Williams' score to Sabrina, but I rarely listen to it I have to admit. Nice background listen, just the same as every Rombi score I've heard so far... but nothing I'd listen to to get my "film music fix". That's why Um Homer ate Son of Chien (or whatever the hell it's called) is never going to be top of my list for this year. I prefer Giacchino's Star Trek or even Elfman's Terminator score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote

Good scores are so much better than crap scores. Thus endeth my lesson for today.

I've only become accustomed to this one relatively recently, but I have to admit this is an essential score for any 'serious' film score fan. Love it! 5 stars just doesn't do it justice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I have only heard some clips from Un Homme et Son Chien but it didn't make me buy the album. But I very much love Joyeux Noel by Rombi. That's a great score.
    By the way: I also love Sabrina. I think it's a very underrated Williams score.
  1. Steven wrote
    I like Williams' score to Sabrina, but I rarely listen to it I have to admit. Nice background listen, just the same as every Rombi score I've heard so far... but nothing I'd listen to to get my "film music fix". That's why Um Homer ate Son of Chien (or whatever the hell it's called) is never going to be top of my list for this year. I prefer Giacchino's Star Trek or even Elfman's Terminator score.

Simply A Man and His Dog wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    keky wrote
    I have only heard some clips from Un Homme et Son Chien but it didn't make me buy the album.

Have a listen.

At the end of Hour 2.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Thanks for the link, Erik! I'll give it a listen.

(But I warn you, if it makes me buy the CD I'll have to borrow some money from you... wink)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, YouTube isn't paying its advertisers very well these days.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

I've only become accustomed to this one relatively recently, but I have to admit this is an essential score for any 'serious' film score fan. Love it! 5 stars just doesn't do it justice.

Which version is it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tis this one sir.

punk

(I also have the concert version with the LSO.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Tis this one sir.

punk

(I also have the concert version with the LSO.)

No need for me to go on then, you sir, are fully equipped! cool

Have you heard his Scythian Suite? Sounds so much like a film score ( a BRILLIANT one ) it should be one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith

Talk about synchronicity, I'm on the track The Enterprise and you should see the gloriously fantastic sunset going down outside my window right now. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm watching the very same sunset right now! (Strange as that may seem. rolleyes )

Balto James Horner

And what a score to go with it!

This certainly doesn't sound 90s whatsoever, not least in comparison to... oh I dunno... Crimson Tide? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    (Although admittedly not as appropriate as 'The Enterprise'.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    (Although admittedly not as appropriate as 'The Enterprise'.)

If I had chosen it probably would have been The Meld but Enterpise it was and twas glorious indeed! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KING KONG - James Newton Howard

Is good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Is good!

Completely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Is good!

Completely!

Partially!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Is good!

Yup... it's good.

-Erik-
  2. Halo 3: ODST (Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori)

First disc. After their phenomenal work on Halo 1, 2 and 3, this FPS spin-off is quite a departure from the known and loved thematic Halo music. Relying very much on ambience, and featuring some interesting instrumental choices, like a saxophone which crops up from time to time, a novel choice in a videogame soundtrack indeed. However it's thematically not as memorable as its granddaddy. The original Halo themes appear very scarcely throughout the album, and even then they're not fully developed renditions. I like the overall sound of the music, but I'm thinking this will have to get some more listens and even then I don't think I will rate this above Halo 3. It just sounds too monotonous in places.

Tomorrow disc two. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So it's synth drone?
  3. Mostly yeah, with some piano work, and some orchestral overlays, but the ground work is synth-based. But cool sounding (at least to my ears). But if you detested the others in the series, you may as well forget about this one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Erik Woods wrote

Best score of the year! No contest! Something truly remarkable is going to have to come along in the next few months to knock this gorgeous score off the top spot.

-Erik-

The only thing that bothers me a little with the Rombi score albums, and this affected ANGEL too, is their dependence on variations of the same two themes, nearly always presented in their canonic shape and varied only in orchestration. His scores are only ever melody-driven, and he doesn't seem to ever have to do that infamous connective scoring that shows up most composers as pretty dull outside of their melodies. It's not a huge quibble (indeed, probably not a quibble at all!), but so far it keeps me from holding him in the same regard I do Fredric Talgorn or Desplat, to name two other recent French stars.

NP: Alexandra (Sigle)

Such a good film. An unexpected score for such an intimate film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Is good!

Completely!

Partially!

Apparently!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The only thing that bothers me a little with the Rombi score albums.... His scores are only ever melody-driven

More of this please!

-Erik-